PDA

View Full Version : ChiefsPlanet stuff!!!

AustinChief
05-16-2001, 01:22 AM
OK... I'm almost done screwing around...

You should notice some improvements ... especially to the Posting page...(easier to use html and smilies now) :D

The look will be a little screwy until I can go back and change it... either later tonight or tomorrow morning.

Some of the old topics will be screwed up but just ignore it... it should go away soon.

I'll be re-indexing the whole DB overnight... so the performance should pick up a little... and I'm dedicating tomorrow (Wed.) to finding out about the memory upgrade.

I think that should be it for awhile.

--Kyle

P.S. PLEASE give me any input on the BBS that you may have...
otherwise I'm kindof working in a vacuum and I may not notice my screw-ups. So complain as much as possible... I really do appreciate it. Don't spare my feelings...besides most of my ex-girlfriends claim that I don't have any. ;)

JOhn
05-16-2001, 02:04 AM
How come our signatures no longer show up?
that and the avatars, I got mine uploaded, then "poof" they don't work. Thought maybe I screwed something up :confused:

AustinChief
05-16-2001, 02:09 AM
I'll check on that...

The db is updating all the user info right now... it will take a few hours... if that doesn't fix it... than we may have to reload them.

...it is probably a simple fix though...

BTW what do you think of the new post screen?

--Kyle

JOhn
05-16-2001, 02:10 AM
Uhhh ok, now when I refresh the main BB, it doesn't update the last post.

Not b!tching, just curious if this is a problem or maybe something else??

keg in kc
05-16-2001, 02:11 AM
IT IS great!!!
:)

AustinChief
05-16-2001, 02:13 AM
John... what do you mean by update the last post?

--Kyle

JOhn
05-16-2001, 02:15 AM
Looks very slick !!!

All I can say is "WOW" you are really putting in some good work. I know I speak for all of us when I say THANKS!!

(btw, nice to know I'm not the only night owl on here. oh wait your in spain..DOH!!!!)

JOhn
05-16-2001, 02:17 AM
On my FFL thread, I posted a reply to BRAD, yet it still shows him as the last poster on that thread.

AustinChief
05-16-2001, 02:19 AM
JOhn,

Actually it is 10:21 in Spain right now...WAY too early for me to be productive...I'm in Texas right now (my neice and nephew were just baptised, so I came home for a bit) but I'm heading back next week. Just in time for the beaches to start jumping!!

--Kyle

P.S. Are the sigs working now?

JOhn
05-16-2001, 02:23 AM
Were my signature is, It just shows the link.

(I do have the "show Signatures" box checked. and IMG on also

keg in kc
05-16-2001, 02:25 AM
I'm having no problems seeing his signature, Other Kyle, and it seems like they're all okay.

JOhn
05-16-2001, 02:26 AM
Also when I try to go to the Avatars to change mine I get the following message:

ADMINISTRATOR: You MUST revert your modifyoptions template

:confused:

AustinChief
05-16-2001, 02:27 AM
JOhn,

I'm seeing your sig fine...

but I do see the other problem that you mentioned... I can't really do anything about it until the DB is done updating... (which hopefully will fix it anyway) but I'll take a look.

As for the sig... can you go back and check your profile again... it may have gotten changed when I did this most recent upgrade...

--Kyle

Can everyone else see John's sig?

AustinChief
05-16-2001, 02:31 AM
ooops my bad...

Yeah I knew I was skipping a step somewhere...

--Kyle

Should be done now. :rolleyes:

47mack
05-16-2001, 03:26 AM
Kyle

From what I see, everything looks great. Thanks for the wonderful Planet.

Any news on the planet e-mail addresses?

47mack
05-16-2001, 03:49 AM
I take that all back. It isn't updating for me either. I have posted on 2 different threads and neither one has updated on the main page. If you click on the thread, my post is there.

My post # isn't increasing either. I am stuck on 382 posts.

AustinChief
05-16-2001, 04:09 AM
47Mack,

I believe both probs are because I'm re-indexing the USER part of the db right now...so the table is being intermittently locked during the process and that is probably why it isn't updating. (Last Post, Post Count, etc. are stored in that table so I'm guessing this is the problem.)

once that is done (around 9:00am or so) it should be normal

The email thing was just a test originally. I still need to write some scripts to automatically process requests for email addresses... once that is done I'll let everybody know.

--Kyle

47mack
05-16-2001, 04:50 AM
Thanks Kyle. Your hard work it truly appreciated.

Gaz
05-16-2001, 06:45 AM
Kyle-

The Planet is a great place to hang out. As long as it is up and running, I am a happy camper. Us computer illiterates cannot use half the buttons and whistles anyway, but feel free to keep 'em coming for those who do.

You rule! I am hereby making you an honorary Mechanical Engineer.

xoxo~
Gaz
Very happy with the Planet.

Stryker
05-16-2001, 07:19 AM
Kyle:

As always...FANtastic job!

Keep up the great work! :)

Mark M
05-16-2001, 09:06 AM
Kyle--
You've done an incredible job with this site! It amazes me that you get no compensation for it ... you should. Maybe we should pass around a virtual hat?

BTW, What is PHP?

MM
~~Glad someone has the time, energy and dedication to do what Kyle does.

milkman
05-16-2001, 02:02 PM
When discussing computers and those that are computer illiterate, they use me as the poster boy. I see the improvements that make it easier to use html above the box that I am posting this response in, but I haven't a clue what any of it means.

Any one care to explain?

And Kyle (Austin Chief, not Keg in KC, at least in this instance),
You Da Man!!

Joe Seahawk
05-16-2001, 02:09 PM
this is a test this is a test

AustinChief
05-16-2001, 02:25 PM
Milkman,

The best way to learn it is just play with it...(okay that sounded wierd but you know what I mean)

ALSO.. their is a NEW FAQ explaining the buttons...

--Kyle

Lzen
05-16-2001, 02:55 PM
:cool:
Kyle,
I do have one complaint about the format of this bb. Any other bb that I've ever used shows the topic thread at the top and then the first reply directly below, the second reply below that, etc. This one seems to be backwards. I guess I've become so used to the other way that every time I start reading a thread and the replies, I end up reading them in reverse and being confused until something in my brain says "hey, you're reading the responses in reverse again". It just drives me crazy.

Also, I think I may be wrong about EVERY other bb having the format I just described. Now that I think about it, the KC Star bb might have been backwards, too.

In any case, I think most bb's are the way I described and you should consider changing this to that same format.

AustinChief
05-16-2001, 03:03 PM
Izen,

The reason that we do it that way is a s follows....

We took a poll when we first started the BBS and that was the consensus... mostly because the threads here tend to get REALLY long and instead of searching through multiple pages you go instead to the most recent posts. It just makes it easier for me because I can read the topic and the most recent posts and see where the conversation is at... instead of having to read 4 or five pages of posts.

I'll look into making it an option in your profile so that everybody can have their own preference.

--Kyle

Cormac
05-16-2001, 03:51 PM
Kyle (or anybody),

Is it possible to down-size .gif files to fit into the 50x50 pixel avatar limit? Thanks.

~resident 'puter idiot.

milkman
05-16-2001, 04:01 PM
This is a test, this is only a test, should it fail, it is because of the idiot behind the keyboard. Should it be successful, then I 'm not nearly the idiot I thought I was.

milkman
05-16-2001, 04:06 PM
I figured out what I did wrong,I think:eek:

milkman
05-16-2001, 04:09 PM
Having these options is just way to cool. :cool:

Raiderhader
05-16-2001, 04:17 PM
I am just trying out some different features to see what they do.

I like being able to use colors.

Different fonts are cool as well . Is there any chance of adding to the list of fonts? Or would that be to much work?

Kyle,
the place is great! I love the more user friendly reply page. Great job, and gracias!

AustinChief
05-16-2001, 04:18 PM
Cormac....
yeah you just need to use an image editor... Microsoft Photo Editor will do it.

I'll post instructions when I get a chance...
Basically, go to image on the top bar and choose resize,
then change the units to pixels and type in the numbers that you want.

After your done... you can save the image as a *.gif

--Kyle

AustinChief
05-16-2001, 04:27 PM
Test of Garamond
Test of Century
Test of Times

AustinChief
05-16-2001, 04:28 PM
RaiderHader,

I just added Garamond... I'll look into adding a few others... the problem is that the font has to be installed on the clients computer otherwise it will go back to the default for that viewer... so I'll only add the most commonly installed fonts...

--Kyle

Raiderhader
05-16-2001, 04:31 PM
That is great Kyle. The fact that we have more than one option is fantastic.

AustinChief
05-16-2001, 04:32 PM
test of default
test of Tahoma
test of Verdana

btw I can also look at adding more colors...if we have any specific requests... I'm not sure if it can be done but I'll look at it.

--Kyle

redhed
05-17-2001, 08:32 AM
I've always like Tahoma (12pt.). Gotta check the reds.
Dark red. Now a Marty color. Go Alabama!! Looks like a donko color to me. Firebrick. Big juicy tomatoes! Luv 'dem homegorwns!

I've checked out some other stuff on the profile page, and things seem to be working fine. I haven't encountered any problems yet.

:cool:

ExtremeChief
05-17-2001, 10:03 AM
Thanks Kyle!!!

enjoying the new toys...

:D :cool:

redhed
05-17-2001, 10:09 AM
One thing I've noticed: The old smilies were in different colors. Any way to do that again? Don't go to any trouble.

Love the colors and fonts!
It would be neat if we could set them as defaults.

GO PLANET!!

ct
05-17-2001, 10:47 AM
Great idea in #25 on the user preference of post ordering. Personally, I like it just the way you have it now. Topic starter on top of every page, with most recent replies just below on page 1, first reply(or oldest) at bottom of last page.

heads up... :eek:

TESTING