PDA

View Full Version : Please to have input: What makes a great sports bar?

Chest Rockwell
08-30-2007, 01:00 PM
So I'm planning on going to my favorite local place tonight to catch the alma mater's first game, when it occurs to me to call and make sure they can put it on for me...of course, just my luck, they can't (local mom and pop type place, don't do too many subscription packages besides Sunday Ticket). During my googleizing, it occurs to me I should put together a short-list of places for reference in this type of situation.

So I ask you goodfolk of the Planet, what are the ingredients of a good sports bar?

So far, on my evaluation list I've got # of screens, # of satellite feeds, which sports packages do they subscribe to, what's on tap, what's on the menu, what are the specials, and do they have free Wi-Fi? Obvious bonuses are how's the eye candy and are there reduced numbers of donkey fans (often a deciding factor here in donkey-nation)?

What important factors am I forgetting here?

Bwana
08-30-2007, 01:06 PM
Topless barmaids delivering free beer.

Chief Chief
08-30-2007, 01:07 PM
Anytime, everytime free drinks.

el borracho
08-30-2007, 01:09 PM
In addition to the number of tvs the actual location of the tvs is important- if you want to have sound for multiple games you need multiple areas which are far enough apart and/ or separated by sound barriers. I also like playing the weekly pick-ems that some bars do even if the prizes aren't much.

ChiefsfaninPA
08-30-2007, 01:09 PM
5 cent wings.

kepp
08-30-2007, 01:11 PM
Screen size. There's a place in Columbia, MO where the main screen size (projector) is literally like 15'.

seclark
08-30-2007, 01:13 PM
i wanna drink w/you.
sec

Chest Rockwell
08-30-2007, 01:16 PM
Good input...

I've now added promotions, screen size, tv locations, tiddys and free booze to the list.

sedated
08-30-2007, 01:50 PM
cheap booze and hot women.

that's all that's important.

oh, and sports.

Frosty
08-30-2007, 02:06 PM
I could have sworn at first that the title of this thread was "What makes a great sports bra?". :shake: The username of the thread starter didn't help.

Boon
08-30-2007, 02:09 PM
Good input...

I've now added promotions, screen size, tv locations, tiddys and free booze to the list.

You forgot tiddys

'Hamas' Jenkins
08-30-2007, 02:09 PM
Big Tittays

$5 all you can drink.

Chest Rockwell
08-30-2007, 02:36 PM
Ok...so evidently we've decided that a tiddy bar makes a good sports bar...

I could have sworn at first that the title of this thread was "What makes a great sports bra?". :shake: The username of the thread starter didn't help.

Don't try to blame my username for your being a slightly dyslexic perv :) ... although your avatar does have something to do with the game that started this thread.

NaptownChief
08-30-2007, 02:40 PM
cheap booze and hot women.

This formula seems to be popluar throughout the entire country.

Frosty
08-30-2007, 02:44 PM
Don't try to blame my username for your being a slightly dyslexic perv :) ... although your avatar does have something to do with the game that started this thread.

Just wondered why someone would ask about sports bras here. I blame the "Who's hotter" thread.

Utah fan?

Cochise
08-30-2007, 02:46 PM
All about location

Chest Rockwell
08-30-2007, 02:48 PM
Utah fan?

Indeed...alum actually. You watching tonight?

BIG_DADDY
08-30-2007, 02:52 PM

Outstanding. Reminds me of the watching the Superbowl in the gentlemens club in Reno a couple years back. That was a good time.

CoMoChief
08-30-2007, 02:53 PM
Screen size. There's a place in Columbia, MO where the main screen size (projector) is literally like 15'.
Spanky's, it's alright. They have $1 drafts during Cardinals and Chiefs games.

I just usually go to Southside pizza in CoMo to watch the games, UFC fights etc. There they have 30oz beers for $2.50

Frosty
08-30-2007, 02:54 PM
Indeed...alum actually. You watching tonight?

Yup. Can't wait.

I would talk smack, but have no idea what to expect from the Beavs this year and know nothing about Utah. Beavs usually play well at home, though, so should be a good game.

Molitoth
08-30-2007, 03:04 PM
The bar needs at least 1 good kind of beer ON TAP.

Blue Moon, Newcastle, Bass, Boulevard, Spaten Optimator, etc..

It's nice to have a TV in plain view.
Either a 125" projector or a 30" right in front of me.

Some kind of smoke ventilation. F*cking smoke....

Good looking waitress with a smile.

Chest Rockwell
08-30-2007, 03:07 PM
Yup. Can't wait.

I would talk smack, but have no idea what to expect from the Beavs this year and know nothing about Utah. Beavs usually play well at home, though, so should be a good game.

Sorta in the same boat here...I think the Utah offense will be ok returning 9 starters, LT may be a question (lost starter to ACL) but getting Brian Johnson back this year is big for the Utes. Defense is the big question with 6 new starters.

I know OSU is tuff at home, and you guys are expecting a big year but losing Stroughter will be tough. And I'm hearing something about starting two different Soph. QBs in the 1st and 2nd qtr. respectively?

NaptownChief
08-30-2007, 03:13 PM
The bar needs at least 1 good kind of beer ON TAP.

Blue Moon,

Yeah, you should have Blue Moon on tap in case some chics show up. :D

Rooster
08-30-2007, 03:14 PM
All you can eat fried cheese.

Chest Rockwell

ROFL

Frosty
I know OSU is tuff at home, and you guys are expecting a big year but losing Stroughter will be tough. And I'm hearing something about starting two different Soph. QBs in the 1st and 2nd qtr. respectively?

Yeah, we are breaking in new QBs and they can't decided which one to go with. One is a typical strong armed pocket passer and the other is very mobile but not as good an arm.

On top of that, our best player is too sad to play and our punter just left, leaving our all-star kicker to punt, too. :shake:

Our o-line should be good, though, and the defense should be really strong this year, too. The TE and receivers are young but very talented (and fast). I kind of am anticipating a slow start and a strong finish if one of the QBs steps up.

Tonight, though, it sounds like strength vs strength.

Bacon Cheeseburger
08-30-2007, 03:17 PM
There's a bar here in Omaha that has individual TVs at each table with the Sunday Ticket. That's the best idea ever.

Jilly
08-30-2007, 03:20 PM
good service, speedy...I hate waiting for a drink or a tab

Chest Rockwell
08-30-2007, 03:22 PM
There's a bar here in Omaha that has individual TVs at each table with the Sunday Ticket. That's the best idea ever.

That is a good idea. A place here in town has that as well, they let you pick whatever channel they get, but it's only about a 10" tv.

Bacon Cheeseburger
08-30-2007, 03:22 PM
good service, speedy...I hate waiting for a drink or a tab
Conversely, don't be at my ****ing table every two minutes asking if I need anything. That's far more annoying than being ignored.

Jilly
08-30-2007, 03:23 PM
Conversely, don't be at my ****ing table every two minutes asking if I need anything. That's far more annoying than being ignored.

true, i hate it when waiters/waitresses try and tell me their whole life story

NaptownChief
08-30-2007, 03:28 PM
true, i hate it when waiters/waitresses try and tell me their whole life story

that all depends.....if it leads to my dick in her backside then it is ok.....otherwise I agree that I would rather she shut up.

BucEyedPea
08-30-2007, 04:45 PM
My idea of a good sports bar is with all the tvs in the dark corners and a huge central area in the middle for socializing, dancing and meeting people.

Maybe, add a huge disco ball in the center that reflects each game on the tvs for a broken mosaic of changing football games/players. Like your on some sports LSD. That'd be cool!

Molitoth
08-30-2007, 04:52 PM

Hardy ****ing har. Blue Moon with orange is actually a really nice tasting beer.

Is it the cool thing to hate on now-days for you Miller Lite drinkers?

Molitoth
08-30-2007, 04:54 PM

I love Omaha's Upstream Brewery downtown. I would be there everyday drinking the Scotch Ale if I lived close. Speaking of which, I have a couple growlers upstairs in the fridge. weeeeeeee.

'Hamas' Jenkins
08-30-2007, 06:00 PM
Best bar I've ever been to--Hi Topps, directly next to PNC Park in Pittsburgh. The waitresses were nails, and it was my 21st, so I was drunk as f*ck.

Good times.

GoHuge
08-30-2007, 06:05 PM
The ability of the establishment to put the event you want to see up on a TV for you. I'm a NASCAR fan (shut up, don't want to hear it) and it's nice to be able to watch a Saturday night race when you're out and about.