PDA

View Full Version : SI.com: Chiefs will have NFL worst offense, Raiders will be surprise team

Ugly Duck
08-30-2007, 05:58 PM
Worst offense

The Kansas City Chiefs are the most one-dimensional offense in the league. They have two of the most talented players in the league in Larry Johnson and Tony Gonzalez, but their offense lacks creativity and big play potential. They are a "smash mouth" unit that relies on the relentless power running of Johnson to free up Gonzalez off play action passes.

Veteran quarterback Damon Huard had success directing this conservative offense during his eight-game run as starter last season, but the offensive line is no longer the dominant unit that once blew defenses off the ball. Obviously reeling from the Will Shields' retirement and Damion McIntosh's injury, the offense has struggled moving the ball during the preseason behind the patchwork offensive line. The talented trio of Johnson, Gonzalez and Huard can keep the Chiefs afloat for a little while, but the Chiefs will not improve on offense until their offensive line and supporting cast steps up.

Team most likely to surprise

The Oakland Raiders are poised to make a dramatic turnaround under new head coach Lane Kiffin. Their defense was strong last season, but was undermined by a woeful offense that failed to score enough points. Moreover, turnovers by the offense consistently forced the defense to play on a short field.

But Kiffin appears to recognize that his D is capable of winning games single-handedly, so he's running a low risk offense that should keep the Raiders in games. If the defense plays at the same level as last season, the Raiders will win as many as eight or nine games this season.

Team most likely to disappoint

Despite returning 20 of 22 starters from a team that finished with a league best 14-2 record, the San Diego Chargers are the most likely team to fail to live up to expectations. I'm sure this will not go over well with Charger fans, but let me explain my rationale.

The Chargers are adjusting to a new coaching staff while facing a daunting early-season schedule. After opening with league heavyweights (the Bears and Patriots), the Chargers have three consecutive division games before a bye in Week 7. They could enter the break with a sub-.500 record and spend the rest of the season trying to dig out of that hole. I still expect them to make a strong playoff run, but I do not think that they can match last season's phenomenal regular-season run.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/bucky_brooks/08/30/bestandworst/index.html

Count Alex's Losses
08-30-2007, 06:00 PM
Complete balderdash. Any offense with Tony Gonzalez and Larry Johnson has zero chance of being the NFL's worst. It's simply complete poppycock.

keg in kc
08-30-2007, 06:03 PM
Anything's possible I guess, but the Raiders winning 8 or 9 games with a first year head coach seems a little out there.

CoMoChief
08-30-2007, 06:04 PM
With our shitty oline play i cant cant say that i totally disagree with that.

Ugly Duck
08-30-2007, 06:06 PM
It's simply complete poppycock.

Oh now hey wait a minute... this is SPORTS FREAKIN' ILLUSTRATED... not some little poppycock!

Crashride
08-30-2007, 06:06 PM
im about tired of people not knowing what they're talking about especially the "pros"

FAX
08-30-2007, 06:07 PM
It's unbelievably embarrassing to think that, after the last few years, anyone in the national media would even consider us as offensive cellar dwellers.

Roll on, Doom Train.

FAX

BigRock
08-30-2007, 06:08 PM
Oh now hey wait a minute... this is SPORTS FREAKIN' ILLUSTRATED... not some little poppycock!

Writing "SI.com:" makes it seem like the statement is the official position of Sports Illustrated. But I don't think Bucky Brooks speaks for the entity as a whole.

go bowe
08-30-2007, 06:09 PM
poppycock?

is that related to a poppy's cock somehow?

you know, i think poppy should get a break...

MichaelH
08-30-2007, 06:10 PM
Not that I really care what The Journal of Golf and Woman's Field Hockey thinks but they can lick my nuts.

Ugly Duck
08-30-2007, 06:18 PM
Not that I really care what The Journal of Golf and Woman's Field Hockey thinks but they can lick my nuts.

No, no... not the Women's Field Hockey Journal... SPORTS ILLUSTRATED! Hey, don't shoot the messenger - I didn't write the piece. It was written by an expert professional sports writer at SPORTS ILLUSTRATED!.

FAX
08-30-2007, 06:21 PM

Agreed, Mr. MichaelH. But, it's corrupts the brain matter to think that anyone, anywhere, anytime, or for any reason could use the words "worst offense" and the "Chiefs" in the same crappy-assed sentence.

FAX

Micjones
08-30-2007, 06:25 PM
Hard to believe the Chiefs will field anything close to the worst offense in the league.

With two offensive players who are second-best at their positions league-wide.

That doesn't take a fairly productive Eddie Kennison, a very productive #3 (Parker) or an emerging group of young guys sure to contribute into consideration either.

Bob Dole
08-30-2007, 06:30 PM
Anyone else find it interesting that all 3 teams mentioned are in the AFC West? (Or that the words "will have the worst offense in the NFL" never appear in the article?)

Reerun_KC
08-30-2007, 06:30 PM
Well with a questionable OL, a journeyman never was at QB and a RB coming off a record setting year..

I can see the concern... I dont think we will be the worse, but our aging and injured starting QB isnt going to help much....

Micjones
08-30-2007, 06:34 PM
Well with a questionable OL, a journeyman never was at QB and a RB coming off a record setting year..

Huard's proven that he's at worst a game manager.
The offensive line is better than it was last season once McIntosh returns and so long as Turley stays healthy.

Welbourn is a better Guard than an aging Will Shields was 1 year ago.
We've improved there. We've got a strong offensive line interior.

The only thing in question is the Tackle spots.
McIntosh is easily an upgrade over Black.

The only real area of concern for me is the Right Tackle spot, but if Turley can stay healthy... Hell, at least he's the best in the bunch. He was a pretty solid RT in years past. LT is where he struggled. So I honestly think this offense goes as far as the health of our two Tackles will take us.

Ugly Duck
08-30-2007, 06:35 PM
it corrupts the brain matter to think that anyone, anywhere, anytime, or for any reason could use the words "worst offense" and the "Chiefs" in the same crappy-assed sentence.

FAX

Sports Illustrated is not the only one saying you guys may be the worst:

Brilliant Sports Pundit's AFC Preview:

After two huge seasons, if he returns Johnson will be playing with a 1st year starter at QB and behind a new offensive line. Why risk an off season and take money out of his pocket when he can hold out for a trade and get the money he can now? Even if he sits out the whole year, it might be better than coming in taking the beating he would this year.

Likely starter Brodie Croyle is unproven at QB, there is still no wide receiver worth mentioning and Tony Gonzalez is aging. Without Johnson, they could be the worst offense in the league unless Croyle is way better than advertised.

The defense is middle of the road and, unlike some of the other teams in the AFC, won't be stealing any games this year.

http://www.411mania.com/sports/nfl/57294

BIG_DADDY
08-30-2007, 06:36 PM
What a bunch of idiots, don't they know Herm fixed our offense? :shrug:

MichaelH
08-30-2007, 06:42 PM
I'm not saying Herm is an offensive guru and we're gonna score 45 points a game. Herm is an idiot when it comes to offense. And his offensive coordinator is an idiot when it comes to offense. That being said, I will bet that there will be at least 10 teams worse in offensive production this year.

GoHuge
08-30-2007, 06:48 PM
While I have no illusions this offense will be really good, listing Larry Johnson and Tony Gonzalez as your top weapons should automatically qualify you in to the "no chance in f**king hell" category as being the worst. There are 11 guys on offense and three of our 11 could be considered the best at their position in the league. Well with the exception of LT (who could be the best to ever play the game).

Tony (on his way to being the best TE to ever play the game) Gonzalez, Brian Dub, and LJ all on the same side of the ball!!! The worst??? Chiefs fan or not this is just retarded statement. I am watching PTI and Odds Makers is on right now. To borrow a term from Tony K "there is a zero percent chance that this team is the worst offense in the NFL."

This just goes to prove just how stupid SI really is. Every time I think they can't get any worse they one-up themselves.

Chief Faithful
08-30-2007, 06:54 PM
This is so funny. So, the Chiefs are going to be crappy because they are going to run a "one dimensional offense" smash mouth with Johnson and Gonzalez (oops! that is two dimensions). But, the Raiders offense will be good because they will run a "low risk" offense. ROFL What does that mean?

Why does SI keep rolling out these idiots?

FAX
08-30-2007, 06:56 PM
... I will bet that there will be at least 10 teams worse in offensive production this year.

Thank God.

FAX

KcMizzou
08-30-2007, 07:02 PM
What a bunch of idiots, don't they know Herm fixed our offense? :shrug:Like you fix the family dog...

Valiant
08-30-2007, 07:11 PM
Worst offense

The Kansas City Chiefs are the most one-dimensional offense in the league. They have two of the most talented players in the league in Larry Johnson and Tony Gonzalez, but their offense lacks creativity and big play potential. They are a "smash mouth" unit that relies on the relentless power running of Johnson to free up Gonzalez off play action passes.

Veteran quarterback Damon Huard had success directing this conservative offense during his eight-game run as starter last season, but the offensive line is no longer the dominant unit that once blew defenses off the ball. Obviously reeling from the Will Shields' retirement and Damion McIntosh's injury, the offense has struggled moving the ball during the preseason behind the patchwork offensive line. The talented trio of Johnson, Gonzalez and Huard can keep the Chiefs afloat for a little while, but the Chiefs will not improve on offense until their offensive line and supporting cast steps up.

Team most likely to surprise

The Oakland Raiders are poised to make a dramatic turnaround under new head coach Lane Kiffin. Their defense was strong last season, but was undermined by a woeful offense that failed to score enough points. Moreover, turnovers by the offense consistently forced the defense to play on a short field.

But Kiffin appears to recognize that his D is capable of winning games single-handedly, so he's running a low risk offense that should keep the Raiders in games. If the defense plays at the same level as last season, the Raiders will win as many as eight or nine games this season.

Team most likely to disappoint

Despite returning 20 of 22 starters from a team that finished with a league best 14-2 record, the San Diego Chargers are the most likely team to fail to live up to expectations. I'm sure this will not go over well with Charger fans, but let me explain my rationale.

The Chargers are adjusting to a new coaching staff while facing a daunting early-season schedule. After opening with league heavyweights (the Bears and Patriots), the Chargers have three consecutive division games before a bye in Week 7. They could enter the break with a sub-.500 record and spend the rest of the season trying to dig out of that hole. I still expect them to make a strong playoff run, but I do not think that they can match last season's phenomenal regular-season run.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/bucky_brooks/08/30/bestandworst/index.html

I am calling BS on the article until I see us attempt a Play Action Pass.. That is the ****ing reason why we got embarrassed in the playoffs because our ignorant coaches don't call it or any other creative play off of our run...

Frazod
08-30-2007, 07:13 PM
As long as the bastards don't put us on the cover, I really couldn't care less.

Valiant
08-30-2007, 07:13 PM
Also as good as the Oakland Defense was last year.. Their offense somehow got worse, literally that team got worse on offense..

Unfortunately I only see one team out of the West making the playoffs.. Everybody else will be hovering under .500 or right at it...

Count Alex's Losses
08-30-2007, 07:23 PM
I am calling BS on the article until I see us attempt a Play Action Pass.. That is the ****ing reason why we got embarrassed in the playoffs because our ignorant coaches don't call it or any other creative play off of our run...

Are you seriously suggesting the Chiefs didn't use play action passing last year?

chiefsfan1963
08-30-2007, 07:35 PM
absolutely agree that our O ranking will continue to sink to the lowly depths of NFL. Since DV and AS departure our O has fallen dramatically as I predicted our D should continue to improve, but we will be one of the most boring and unproductive teams to watch on O. I will be amazed if we manage to win more than 6 games this year, but not surprised if we only win 4. We should easily have a Top 5 or 10 draft pick next year with at least one pick or more in each round.

Let's hope that CP's and Herm's tenure ends by the beginning of the 2010 season or sooner since all we will be able to look forward to are the NFL drafts until there's regime change!

Ugly Duck
08-30-2007, 07:38 PM
all we will be able to look forward to are the NFL drafts

Its really not as much fun as it sounds... unfortunately its not all its cracked up to be.

Ugly Duck
08-31-2007, 06:32 PM
So... you guyz laughed at me (and the experts) when we suggested that your offense could be the worst in the league... guess you'll take me a little more seriously now, eh?

stevieray
08-31-2007, 06:42 PM
Will Shields play was subpar last year....he was already set to retire until he got Roafed.....if that's the only valid reason they have, pfffffffffft.

SBK
08-31-2007, 07:26 PM
I agree that the Raiders might have 8-9 wins.........by 2009.

mlyonsd
08-31-2007, 08:57 PM
The raiders could have a 4-12 season and by sheer math be the most improved team in the NFL. Big whoop.

Ebolapox
09-01-2007, 01:26 AM

the same sports illustrated that said we'd win the super bowl in 1997 (or was that 1998?).

yeah.

Jayhawkerman2001
09-01-2007, 01:40 AM
for the past 5 years hasnt the media always picked oakland as the possible surprise team? The medias love affair with everything Raiders is very transparent...

ClevelandBronco
09-01-2007, 02:13 AM
Hard to believe the Chiefs will field anything close to the worst offense in the league.

With two offensive players who are second-best at their positions league-wide.

That doesn't take a fairly productive Eddie Kennison, a very productive #3 (Parker) or an emerging group of young guys sure to contribute into consideration either.

I tend to agree with everything else you said, but the bolded part has liquified my brain to the point that it's puddling around my chair.