PDA

View Full Version : Greedy Season Ticket holders tick me off...

cathyb
05-16-2001, 09:25 AM
This is a peeve of mine... I wish that any season ticket holders that don't ever go to the games would give up their tickets so that some of us that have been on the list for ever could get our tickets. I realize that it's their right to sell their tickets every year for a profit but it seems like a crappy thing to do.
I buy a season ticket package every year and pay out the nose for them... you could say that I'm not helping by creating a market but I want to go to the games! (I also get first right of refusal for playoff tickets which is an incentive to go this route... you remember.... playoffs..... right???.....)
There.. I feel better now.. It's getting close to the time of year when I fork over the green for the tickets.

milkman
05-16-2001, 10:39 AM
Oh yeah, I remember that. That was that extra game after the end of the season that Marty always lost, right?

Phobia
05-16-2001, 12:13 PM
LMAO Milkman. Laughing but it hurts....

bloomer88
05-16-2001, 02:27 PM
Just curious, how much do you pay for your season ticket package, and what kind of seats do you have?

ct
05-16-2001, 02:47 PM
How about those that complain about season ticket holders then tell ya they get season tickets!!! Did I miss something? :confused:

I second bloomer's Q: Where, How, From Whom, and For How Much?

TheBigChief
05-16-2001, 05:01 PM
This year I am getting to buy tickets to six games from a season ticket holder. We get to buy ours at face value though, so it is pretty nice. Our seats are front row in lower lever right on the goalline. We are on the end oppoiste the TD packband and the tunnel.

KCWolfman
05-16-2001, 08:49 PM
To add to Cathy's rant (BTW Good to see you here Cathy), I can't stand the season ticket idiots who whine about Carl attempting to make a profit while they sell their tickets for anything over face value. :mad:

While I'm here I got to tryThe gnarly new BUTTONS thatKyle has generously provided

California Injun
05-16-2001, 10:55 PM
A BIGGER pet peeve are the season ticket holders that sell their tickets to OPPOSING teams fans. What's with THAT!!!!

The biggest joke I ever saw was when the LA Kings made the Stanley Cup back in '93 against the Candiens. This was with Wayne Gretzky doing his magic.

So there were these hardcore fans that had tickets since the early 70s, and when the Kings FINALLY put together the ultimate play-off run, they SELLOUT their seats for $1,500 to $2,000 to the corporate flyboys.

What is the point of following your team that long only to give it up for some quick cash?

You can always make money in this life but you can never buy the thrill that goes along with attending a sporting event.

(Yep! I was one of those "flyboys" that threw down $1,200 to catch a Stanley Cup Game with the Kings)

bigdaddychieffan
05-17-2001, 10:07 AM
It really does stink what many season ticket holders do. I have only been able to go to a few games per year because of the fact that many people Charge Excessive Prices that I can't afford. Luckily my dad has a few friends that let us go to a few games, but they are never on Sunday, and typically not a team I want to see the Chiefs play, but I go to get my Chiefs fix. Nothing like watching a game at Arrowhead. The real problem with Chiefs season ticket holders though, is that they get first dibs on new seats that become available. And in my experience I know of a few who buy those seats and then sell them to a friend. Sucks to be on the Chiefs season ticket waiting list.

Mark M
05-17-2001, 10:58 AM
IMO, what sucks even more is that, technically, the tickets cannot be inheirited.

My family has had season tickets since 1963 (they were upper level at Municipal, now we're at section 118 ... 40 yard line, 29 rows back behind the Chiefs bench) and the only way we kept them was to put them into a trust. As long as the trust is viable, we'll have tickets.

Just a word of warning for you all—if you get tickets, put them in a trust or corporation, that way your children will get them.

MM
~~3rd generation Chiefs fan.

lakeman
05-17-2001, 11:11 AM
Mark M

I believe you can now transfer your tickets to another person for a fee. I am not sure what the cost is but it is less if it is in the family, more if not. I think you can even get the lesser fee if the tickets are in one persons name but you can prove you buy them from that person as part of a group that uses the tickets. :confused:

gh4chiefs
05-17-2001, 11:13 AM
In response to post 8 and others like it, I would like to present an opposing point of view. As a season ticket holder, you are forced to buy 2 preason games at the SAME cost as the regular season tickets. I'm sorry but pre-season games just aren't as important as the regular season and I can't justify driving to KC for what are essentially meaningless games. Therefore my choices are 1) eat the cost of the two preseason tickets at $48 a pop or: 2) try to sell them. It's about a 2 1/2 hour drive from here to KC and you can't hardly give away a preseason ticket around here. If can find a buyer, it is at significantly lower amount than face value.

So in reality, the cost of my 8 games is really 10 games spread out over 8, and not the face value of the ticket.

gh4chiefs
05-17-2001, 11:16 AM
As I understand it Lakeman,

The fee is $25 and only the owner of the tickets can transfer his/her rights to another person by writing a letter to the Chiefs spelling out the transfer. And this can only be done from the end of the post season up until about 5/1 or so. It is against Chiefs policy for a ticket holder to sell his/her rights to another person.

Mark M
05-17-2001, 11:54 AM
gh and lake--
Thanks for the info. However, if the person dies unexpectedly (as happened with my grandmother) how is that person supposed to write the letter?

What sucks most about the situation is this: Instead of being ticket holders since 1963, we are now labeled as having them since 1993. Why is this a problem? If the Chiefs make a SuperBowl (please oh please oh please oh please) the Chiefs distriubte their tickets by a lottery system. You get one lotto ball for every seat for every year you've had the tickets. So now, instead of having a minimum of 76 lotto balls, we'll only have 16. And that is just wrong, IMO.

MM
~~Would still rather have 16 than 0.

gh4chiefs
05-17-2001, 12:02 PM
Mark,

I'm a little confused, did your Grandmother put them in a trust prior to her death or was this something you were able to do after the fact?

I'm asking because it's something I might consider.

Phobia
05-17-2001, 12:05 PM
Mark,

I understand your frustration but in reality, YOU have only been a season ticket holder since '93. Your grandmother was a season ticket holder since 63. Unless this is unusual to all other cases, it sounds like the most fair way to do it to me. Obviously, I'm on the outside looking in, though.

I'll probably never be a Chiefs season ticket holder so it really doesn't make a huge rip to me either way. Just playing devil's advocate, I guess.

Mark M
05-17-2001, 01:59 PM
gh--
Luckily, she did it before hand. I just talked with the parental (the tickets are in his name) and he said the Chiefs gave him a huge amount a grief over it. They said that she needed to come in with the letter you talked about. He said she had passed away. They said they needed her sig. He said she had passed away. They said she needed to write the letter. He said he'd bring her ashes down and they could tell her that. They calmed down a bit after that. You might wanna call them and find out if the trust thing is still allowed ... they may have changed it since then. But for now, I believe whomever is the executor of the trust is the one the tickets will be billed to. I could be wrong. You could incorporate and then they have no leverage—it would then be like a company owned them.

Kphobia--
You are 100% correct. I'm just still upset about it (I'll get over it). There should be some reward for loyalty, IMO. Of course, there are many loyal fans out there that don't have tickets, so I guess that doesn't fly either. Oh well ...

MM
~~Will have the tickets transferred to his name before too long (and before the parentals pass on).

bigdaddychieffan
05-17-2001, 03:06 PM
gH4Chiefs,

I can understand how it sucks to pay for pre-season tickets when those games are worthless. Understand my point of view when you pay more than face value for those same pre-season tickets, and have to drive 3 hours to see them play. Sometimes we get rewarded with being able to go to a regular season game because of us purchasing those worthless pre-season games. The only game I got to go to last year besides the pre-season was the MNF game against the Seahawks. All of my bitching up until that point was justified. Not afterwards though. Man what a game. Still sucks about what we had to pay for those tickets for upper-deck seats.

California Injun
05-17-2001, 07:13 PM
Being a native Cali Chiefs fan my entire life, this season ticket debate means squat to myself.

But that does not dilute my hardcore status as I've followed this team since 1968. Being a long distance fan has actually increased my loyalty as you are always in enemy territory defending the faith.

It also makes my sojourns to the Mecca in Kansas City a religious experience that the Kansas/Missouri natives might not appreciate.

Once the Chiefs make that magical journey to the Super Bowl, money (or lottery balls) will not come in to play as I will tke out a second on the home to finance this Haley's Comet event.

This is what made that 1995 loss to the Colts so disheartenting as the Super Bowl was to be played in San Diego.

At the time, it was a freaking 2 hour drive from my condo in Long Beach!!!!

Has Lin Elliot been fitted for those cement boots yet?

milkman
05-17-2001, 07:49 PM
I know I probably go overboard on this, but here I go again anyway.
Lin Elliot may have missed some kicks that cost us that Indy game, but I still hold Marty responsible for the loss. As long as a team plays not to lose, in the the playoffs, that team will lose.
Even if Elliot makes those kicks, and the Chiefs win that game, they still would not have made it to the SB. Pittsburg would have found a way to beat them, because of Marty's philosophy.

In case you don't know this already, I absolutely despise Marty.
I can't wait for the Skins to fail in the playoffs.

gh4chiefs
05-18-2001, 05:24 AM
Bigdaddychieffan,

You paid over face value for pre-seaon tickets???? I think me and you need to talk. LOL Seriously here in Mid-MO there's no way I could get more than face on my pre-season tickets. I have a hard time getting rid of them at $20 a ticket. (I think it's because of all the damn bandwagon Rams fans here now)

bigdaddychieffan
05-18-2001, 02:32 PM
gh4Chiefs,

I know I got ripped off. When you don't live in KC and don't want to drive up to the game and pay the scalpers, I often overpay for tickets. I just have to know that I have tickets if I am going to take the drive up to KC. I am just happy to be able to watch the Chiefs play at all during the season. Not living in KC sucks when you are a Chiefs fan.

bigdaddychieffan
05-18-2001, 02:34 PM
Finally I made regular status. LOL. I hated that Lurker's designation.:)

gh4chiefs
05-18-2001, 07:19 PM
I know the feeling Bigdaddy, I like the security of knowing I have tickets in hand before going to a game. But I'll let you in on a little secret. I've posted this before and I'm sure others can back me up. I have NEVER been to a game where there wasn't several people standing around trying to get rid of those tickets they got hung with at the last mininute. If you're willing to do a little leg work, I would venture to say that you wouldn't have a problem finding tickets at a decent price. Games like the Raiders or the Rams could be tough, but otherwise they can be had.

I also share your feeling about living a long ways from KC. It's about a 2 1/2 hour drive one way for me, and with the $15 parking and outrageous gas prices, it's hard for me to justify going to the pre-season games.

bigdaddychieffan
05-18-2001, 09:12 PM
gh4Chiefs,

I am actually about to the point where I just might go up there and try to wait to get the tickets. Is the best way to wait until kickoff, just after, just before, before you buy the tickets. I understand that since you already have season tickets you wouldn't do that, but which way do you think would be the best. It is also about a 2 1/2 hour drive one way for me also. I guess if I couldn't get the tickets I could just tailgate their and listen to the game over the PA system. It is pretty darn loud outside of Arrowhead.

shakesthecat
05-19-2001, 07:43 AM
I know a couple guys who use scalpers every time they go to a game. Usually can get pretty good seats too.

I lucked out this year. A old friend of mine who has season tics offered me Da Bears preseason game, the Giants, Steelers, Eagles, and Chargers games. 2 tickets, about 10 rows up, 30 yard line behind the Chiefs bench, parking pass, $640. Face value.
Not being a complete idiot, I took it.
The Eagles game is on a thursday. That should be fun!

TheBigChief
05-19-2001, 08:39 AM
GH4,

That expense could be getting a little worse this year because parking is going up to at least $20 and possibly $25. I have heard both figures so I am not totally for sure.

bigdaddychieffan
05-19-2001, 08:46 AM
One thing that I have found is that there are a few places to park that are not actually in the stadium that are a lot cheaper, and still actually closer than where they usually park me when I go to the games. Of course I don't have a red parking pass either.

cathyb
05-21-2001, 09:11 AM
I started this thread and then went to New Orleans for 5 days. Quite a city, but man- it smells!! Can't imagine what it's like right after Mardi Gras (or a super bowl!)

Bloomer and Cory-- I sit on the third level, Chief's bench side of the field. Last year we were on the 35 or 40 on the Pack Band end. The people we sat in front of were jerks so this year we hope to move. I get my package from Mike Scott at the Ticket Booth. It's a 10 ticket package so I'm paying way over face value for the pre-season games too. My seats last year were $1050 per person. (we buy a group of 4) That's about double face value. But the thing is- I always know where I'm sitting, the four of us are always together, and I have tickets for the 'biggies', like the Rams. Raiders, MNF (not this year!) and (crossing fingers) get playoff seats if we choose (like we wouldn't! ha!!) etc. The price kinda averages out a bit ... tickets can get pretty expensive for the big games so it makes paying too much for the others a little easier to swallow. just a little.
Yes Cory, like I said, you could point out that I'm talking out of both sides of my mouth... bitchin' yet buying tickets (with a middle man) from the season ticket holders I'm griping about. But I do it for the reasons I stated above, plus as Cal Injun said.. Arrowhead is like Mecca to me. I get goosebumps (without fail, even in 100' temps) every time the band starts to play and the cheerleaders walk out to welcome our Chiefs on to the field. I love each and every minute I spend in Arrowhead, win or lose, and NEVER leave my seat until the final second has expired and usually stay and cheer if we win. (the losers that leave with 10 minutes left just to avoid traffic should stay home!!) I want to BE THERE so I pay a price.
BigDaddy-- My ticket broker usually has parking passes available. We park in Red Reserve every game (by G29 in a red suburban if anyone wants to stop by) and it's sooo easy getting out after a game. We never spend more than 5 or 10 minutes waiting to get on the highway. Can't wait to get rid of my 'lurker status' .. guess I have to post more and not just read!!

Wolfman-- thanks! It's good to be seen!

gh4chiefs
05-21-2001, 11:53 AM
I got back from NO about a week ago Cathy and I know what you mean about the smell. Still it was a fascinating place. Did you do the D-Day museum? Or how about an airboat tour? We took on out at Bayou Gauche and it was the highlight of my trip.

Back to the subject at hand. I hope you got a chance to read my post, post # 8 for an opposing view. In principle I don't disagree with you, but there are two sides to the story. Face value on my tickets this year is $48 but if I end up selling any, and if I sell them for less than $60, I would be taking a loss because of the two pre-season games. And that doesn't even take into account the interest factor. As a season ticket holder, you begin paying for your season in January. So not only do the Chiefs get to raise the price of tickets, they also get to hold your money for several months before the season actually starts.

cathyb
05-21-2001, 04:25 PM
Hey Gary-
I didn't go to the D-day museum but did do the airboat in the swamp. Very fun! Got to hold a baby alligator too. Cool!
I'm not griping about a STH (season ticket holder!) selling tickets occasionally for a profit; that's their right and folks like me create the demand. What I said was I'm irritated at the STH who NEVER goes to a game and year after year sells all of their tickets for profit. That's all!

bigdaddychieffan
05-21-2001, 08:04 PM
Cathy,

A few of the games I have been to I have had a red parking pass and they are awesome. I felt like royalty just being able to park that close. I hope that I am able to go to a few games, and I will try to look you up there. Take it easy.

Shaun

cjderby
05-22-2001, 07:40 AM
BigDaddy, I'm a little confused on how you're 2 1/2 hrs away living in Lawerence?? I live near Wichita and it takes me 3 hrs. No big deal, just puzzled! :confused: :)

gh4chiefs
05-22-2001, 11:04 AM
I'm following you now Cathy, and those people make me sick too. It was appalling the number of so-called fans who had sold their tickets to Rams fans for the game last year.

Randy Webb
05-22-2001, 11:33 AM
I have been on the season ticket waiting list since May 1993. I finally had my number called about three weeks ago. I hope this years Chiefs make it worth the wait. I can't wait for the season to start.

gh4chiefs
05-22-2001, 11:56 AM
Congratulations Randy!

You'll love it, it's worth the wait. Going to losing games can be a bit of a drag but other than that, it's a blast.

Chieffan
05-22-2001, 02:29 PM
What a bunch of whiners. You want to know why we season ticket holders can do what ever we want with our tickets? You want to know why we have them and you don't? We bought them in the early 80's! There were planty available until about 1989-1990. Remember the 80's? Losing season one after another, an empty staduim. Thats right we bought Season tickets back then. we supported the team financially. Now the team gets good and you want to go, only all the tickets are taken. I wonder why? You could have bought them years ago.The same people you called suckers for having season tickets in the 89's now own your ***. We go to all of the games. Don't worry, when the team puts a few losing seasons together buy the tickets then. People always dump the tickets when they are losing. My guess is that most people just like before won't want to buy tickets then, and when they start winning again and all the tickets are gone again you'll start bitching about the people who have been supporting the team through thick and thin. You don't need to buy tickets if they are losing. there is no need to support an inferior product, but if you want to go games when they are winning, buy the tickets when they are losing. Remember trying to get Royals tickets in 85? How hard is it to get them now. I'll bet if they made a world series run next year you same people would be bitching about season ticket holders. Buy the Tix when they are available ot shut up and pay the inflated cost. I hate scalpers and would piss on the Guy at Ace Sports if I ever saw him, but you have made the choice to be at his and other scalpers mercy.

cathyb
05-22-2001, 04:11 PM
Well Chieffan, if I had been living in the same TIME ZONE that the Chiefs play in, I would have bought tickets durning the 80's and would still have them now. But since it's a little difficult to get to games when you live in Denver, LA or Dallas(yes, I know its the same time zone but a 9 hour drive- no thanks), I chose not to.
And personally, I'm a Cardinal fan and couldn't give a crap what the Royals do. He was out!!!! haha.

cathyb
05-22-2001, 04:16 PM
In addition- I would never call anyone who supports their team thru thick and thin a sucker. I have lots of friends in St Louis who sat through those miserable seasons when the Rams first came to town and I applauded them for it and was thrilled when they won the SB.

And by the way Chieffan, you don't own my a$$ or anything remotely connected to it.

JOhn
05-22-2001, 05:21 PM
Chieffan,
LIttle full of your self are you? Before you dare to preach to me, My Family were a season ticket holders from 1968 (?) Untill 1996 when my father passed away, and I was from 1984 tru 1992. I had to move out of state, so I gave themn up, so someone else could enjoy them.

Also In case you forgot, the vast majority of CHIEFS fans are not season ticket holders, so count yourself lucky INSTEAD of arrogant. We have evry right to b!tch about what concerns our team, just as you do. Being a season ticket holder DOES NOT make you a better fan.

Most fans would love to have tickets but very few will ever get to see a game because they are unable to afford them due to scalpers and season ticket holders who jack the prices.

Just curious what about all us Inferior fans, who were not here in the 80's or the younger ones who were not old enough to buy tickets, or those who just recently came to follow the CHIEFS for whatever reason? Do they not have any right to complain?

cathyb
05-22-2001, 05:32 PM
John- that was directed to Chieffan, right?? Cause I don't want you mad at me!!! you go, boy!!

JOhn
05-22-2001, 05:36 PM
There fixed it for you Cathyb, sorry was very irratated and typing fast.

Chieffan
05-22-2001, 05:37 PM
Season tickets do not concern the team, they concern who views the game where. Complaining about Ticket holders selling the tickets they don't use is the same as bitching about auto manufacturs selling the cars to dealerships and the dealerships raising the prices. I told you I hated scalpers, but if a Season ticket holder isn't going to use their tickets for the game they have every right to sell them for a profit. We are in america remember the phrase "Capitolism"? They own the ticket they take the risk of not being able to attend certain games, what if the team wasn't doing well and nobody wanted to buy the ticket, than the Season ticket holder is screwed. They paid the money for the Season, preseason, and parking. It's their ticket and it's none of your business what they do with it. Do you let people tell you how to treat your car, house, clothes, TV's? You have no business telling anyone what they can or cannot do with something they purchased as long as it is legal. you are acting like little babies who can't get thier way. People who have tickets worked to get them or have had them for a long time. They deserve them. Why do you feel that you have more of a right to tickets than them? Why do you feel you have any right to someones tickets at a set price because you are a fan. If I am a fan of Ferrari's does that mean I should have one if I want one regardless of market price. You say I am arrogant. Lets look at who feels he/she deserves something for less than market value, lets look at who feels entitled to what others worked and paid for. You seem to be the ones that think the world owes you something. That is Arrogance.

JOhn
05-22-2001, 05:46 PM
First off, I did not say I or anyone else had more of a right to the. WHAT I AM SAYING is that we have just as much right to B!TCH about Prices, or anything else that concerns the team.

FYI all during the 80's when my family & I had tickets we never once sold a ticket for more that it was worth. Fact is I only missed 4 games during that entire period, and 50% of the time I gave them away.

Problem is your little scenerio assumes that you some made (or whatevre you want to call it) those tickets. Unlike a car or house or whatever, you bought a SEAT, not property.

Also Selling tickets for more than there face value is called SCALPING!!! which if you check your rules governing season ticket, and city laws, it is illegal ( or was when I had tickets) for a reason.

Also what I believe most people here were complaining about were those who have tickets for the sole purpose of making a profit, which again is illegal.

"You seem to be the ones that think the world owes you something. That is Arrogance."

No one said we are owed anything, look hard in the mirror.

JOhn
05-22-2001, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by Chieffan
Season tickets do not concern the team,

?????????????????????

Have no clue what planet your on, but last time I check they had a lot to do with the team. AGain read your rights, or whatever they call them, selling the tickets for an inflated price is not allowed ( again it used to be, and I'm assuming it still reads that way).

Chieffan
05-22-2001, 05:52 PM
FYI all during the 80's when my family & I had tickets we never once sold a ticket for more that it was worth. Fact is I only missed 4 games during that entire period, and 50% of the time I gave them away.

Wow no kidding you never sold tickets for over face value in the eighties. There is no way you could have. Do you even remember the 80's at Arrowhead?

JOhn
05-22-2001, 05:57 PM
To bad you didn't answer or address anything else.

Yes I do remember them very well. And I was making a point, or maybe I should have said "the ENTIRE time I had tickets". but again you would probebly miss the point.

cathyb
05-22-2001, 09:44 PM
I'll say this again chieffan since you're a little slow.... my beef is with a STH that never ever goes to a game, has no intention of doing so, yet year after year they hold on to the tickets for the sole purpose of making a profit. Yes, it's their right and they can do whatever helps them sleep at night. I, just me, in my opinion, think it's a selfish crappy thing to do. Just because someone can do something doesn't make it nice.

JOhn
05-22-2001, 09:53 PM
cathyb,
Not sure he would understand that, else he could have read the topic starter........

cathyb
05-22-2001, 09:56 PM
true John, very true. Like the saying goes, it's not fair to get into a battle of wits with an unarmed man... or something like that!:D

bigdaddychieffan
05-22-2001, 10:24 PM
cjderby,

I know it probably is hard to understand how I drive 2 1/2 hours to go to a game. I just recently started going to KU.....2 years ago. I have been going to a few games for the past 5 years. Back then it used to be a 2 1/2 hour drive because I lived west of Emporia. And everytime I have been to a game, I have been at my home town the night before. Coming to Lawrence is a little bit out of the way, for my father to come to go to the Chiefs game. So therefore I go home usually before we go to the games. But for a point of clarity....it doesn't always take me 2 1/2 hours, it just has at most of the games that I have been to.

Luzap
05-22-2001, 10:27 PM
Not really wanting to jump in here... but MS and KS don't have scalping laws ~ I don't think that's changed.

Luz
a lot of ticket services would go out of business...

JOhn
05-22-2001, 10:34 PM
OK, Sorry about the misconception, it's the CHIEFS that have the anti-scalping stance. As I have seen people arrested (albiet in the early 90's) outside the gates for scalping tickets. Must be a on-site ordanance or something along those lines.

But I do know it's against policy for STH's.

But again as cathyb stated, the point is what STH's that NEVER use or have any intention of using, do with there tickets.

Phobia
05-22-2001, 11:01 PM
It was my understanding that MO has the anti-scalping law and KS allows it. That's why all the scalping "services" work out of a KS address.