PDA

View Full Version : Offensive line... interesting stuff

SNR
08-30-2007, 10:09 PM
Some things I noticed tonight

-First of all, Chris Terry sucks balls. End of story. Getting called for penalties when you're playing with 3rd stringers is EMBARASSIN [/Herm]
We really made a mistake of not signing another backup in free agency, because this will be a problem if/when Turley's back acts up again.

-I noticed Niswanger lining up at guard tonight for a bit. He will have a spot on this roster secured, since he did a fairly decent job.

-Svitek wasn't as bad as usual. Made a lot of nice plays. However, also had that one terrible play when the DE whizzed around him and got in Brodie's face in the 2nd quarter. We need MacIntosh badly, but as a fill-in for a play or two, Svitek will be okay. We can certainly do worse.

-Herb Taylor and Tre Stallings impressed me tonight. On running plays they got off quickly and pushed their linemen back a couple steps. Kolby AND Ross both benefitted from them being there.

-Final thought, the line is shaky. The backups have made plays, but they've also sucked far too much. Some first-day draft talented is required next offseason. Of the "projects" we have left in Svitek, Taylor, Stallings, and Niswanger, none of them are sticking out immediately. If we get some better players next year, I can only see one or two of these guys staying on.

Also, I'm just glad to see Sampson gone. I was getting mighty sick of all the expectations and unfulfilled promises about his play. His departure is at least a step in the right direction- getting rid of these 6th/7th round tards we collect over the years and hope they turn out. Not one of these assholes has produced anything since Waters. Not one.

dtrain
08-31-2007, 09:28 AM
Everyone in the world knew the line was shaky but nothing was done to improve it. We could have gotten Gaithers in the supplemental draft and the kid from Nebraska it's not like we don't have extra lower round picks that we could have used.

Deberg_1990
08-31-2007, 09:30 AM
Who were the linemen when Smith pulled off that 55 yarder?

htismaqe
08-31-2007, 09:34 AM
Everyone in the world knew the line was shaky but nothing was done to improve it. We could have gotten Gaithers in the supplemental draft and the kid from Nebraska it's not like we don't have extra lower round picks that we could have used.

They signed one of the top 2 tackles available in free agency.

Woodrow Call
08-31-2007, 09:40 AM

The kid from Nebraska has already been cut twice.

penguinz
08-31-2007, 10:24 AM
They signed one of the top 2 tackles available in free agency.
But he was castoff by two other teams. He must suck total ass. :)

Woodrow Call
08-31-2007, 10:28 AM
Niswanger has really impressed me.

Chiefnj2
08-31-2007, 10:36 AM

I'm glad he impressed you at guard because Herm's going to be moving him to center next year.

From 2-3 days ago:

Q: Talk about Rudy Niswanger whos playing some at guard for you.

EDWARDS: Hes a guy whose best position is probably center. But he has the ability to play guard and we like him. He was a free agent from LSU and been in the program for a year. Hes gotten a lot better and thats what you like. You have to develop offensive linemen. Unless you draft a guy in the first round youre always developing offensive linemen. Hes a tough guy, a smart guy. Hes a dual player. Certain young guys just seem to have their life together at a young age and he has his priorities right.

Scaga
08-31-2007, 10:37 AM

You're impressed by a "nice wanger"?
:Elvis:

ROFL

Woodrow Call
08-31-2007, 10:39 AM
You're impressed by a "nice wanger"?
:Elvis:

ROFL

:cuss:

LMAO

htismaqe
08-31-2007, 11:14 AM
I'm glad he impressed you at guard because Herm's going to be moving him to center next year.

From 2-3 days ago:

Q: Talk about Rudy Niswanger whos playing some at guard for you.

EDWARDS: Hes a guy whose best position is probably center. But he has the ability to play guard and we like him. He was a free agent from LSU and been in the program for a year. Hes gotten a lot better and thats what you like. You have to develop offensive linemen. Unless you draft a guy in the first round youre always developing offensive linemen. Hes a tough guy, a smart guy. Hes a dual player. Certain young guys just seem to have their life together at a young age and he has his priorities right.

My biggest bitch about Vermeil was moving guys around and never letting them settle into a position.

Now Herm is doing the same ****ing thing. :banghead:

SNR
08-31-2007, 12:41 PM
My biggest bitch about Vermeil was moving guys around and never letting them settle into a position.

Now Herm is doing the same ****ing thing. :banghead:The only two guys I can think of off the top of my head are Wilkerson and John Browning. We did it with Jordan Black because it was necessary, I'm sure any other coach would have made the same decision.

keg in kc
08-31-2007, 12:47 PM
Wasn't Niswanger playing center last offseason?

In terms of line depth these days, guys who can play multiple positions are a necessity.

Chiefnj2
08-31-2007, 12:48 PM
The only two guys I can think of off the top of my head are Wilkerson and John Browning. We did it with Jordan Black because it was necessary, I'm sure any other coach would have made the same decision.

On the DL they also did it to Freeman. Stills was moved between DE and LB. Interestingly, they kept Vonnie Holliday at DE and now that he has moved to DT on Miami he seems to be doing much better.

Not to mention all the S/CB switches through the years.

htismaqe
08-31-2007, 01:03 PM
The only two guys I can think of off the top of my head are Wilkerson and John Browning. We did it with Jordan Black because it was necessary, I'm sure any other coach would have made the same decision.

Welbourn, Bober, Browning, Wilkerson, Eddie Freeman, that 2nd-round safety/CB out of Oklahoma (I honestly can't remember his name!)...there's more, I just can't think of them right now.

Dave Lane
08-31-2007, 01:56 PM
The kid from Nebraska has already been cut twice.

How do you get cut twice in 6 weeks?

Dave