PDA

View Full Version : Some interesting insights into Quarterbacking by Phil Simms

donkhater
08-31-2007, 05:38 AM
I'm currently reading Phil Simms' book, 'Sunday Morning Quarterback' and there are few things in there that I couldn't help but look at our current QB situation and shake my head.
Some of the things I've read so far:

1. Asking a QB just to 'manage a game' is about the hardest thing for a QB to do.

He doesn't get into rythym throwing the ball and seeing how the defense reacts on pass plays. The QB faces MANY more third down situations than usual, frequently with passing distances. And while this concept is designed to limit turnovers, turnovers that do occur actually affect the game MORE since there are fewer possesions (theoretically).

2. If a coach isn't playing a quarterback because he's afraid he might hurt his confidence, then that QB doesn't belong in the NFL. Good QBs must be resilient and always confident they can move the ball.

3. There were MAJOR differences on how Parcells and Walsh coached the QB position. Basically Parcells wanted him to throw it as hard as he could on every throw, while Walsh was concerned with technique and rythym. Simms played briefly with Fassel ( a Walsh disciple) and the difference in his ability to throw and complete passes was night and day. Not merely because of the offense, but because of the coaching that he received. Simms feels like even today there aren't many professional QBs getting the coaching on fundamentals that they should, even though you hear the head coach talk about fundamentals with regards to the other positions all the time.

Makes you wonder about Croyle's (or any other young QB under Herm) development.

These are just some of the things he's touched on. (I'm only half way through the book).

TEX
08-31-2007, 06:41 AM
Simms feels like even today there aren't many professional QBs getting the coaching on fundamentals that they should, even though you hear the head coach talk about fundamentals with regards to the other positions all the time.

Makes you wonder about Croyle's (or any other young QB under Herm) development.

Yep. I still can't understand what the heck Dick Curl is doing as the Chiefs QB coach. :shake:

kepp
08-31-2007, 06:53 AM
2. If a coach isn't playing a quarterback because he's afraid he might hurt his confidence, then that QB doesn't belong in the NFL. Good QBs must be resilient and always confident they can move the ball.
That's the one thing I kept saying to myself while watching the game last night: Croyle's confidence is shot right now. You could see it in everything he did (or didn't do).