PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Is Cowher positioning himself for the Chiefs HC job?

Frankie
08-31-2007, 09:48 AM
I have nothing against Herm (yet). I like his drafts and hate his inattention to the 'O.' Now the PTI guys said that Cowher has told CBS that he will not only not coach this year, but not next year either. This being a rebuilding year will not cost Herm his job. But next year will definitely be a "hot seat" year for him. If he gets fired after next year guess who is at the end of his predicted time off coaching?

Again, I hope Herm succeeds here, but you have to admit this is an intriguing situation.

htismaqe
08-31-2007, 09:50 AM
The big thing that bothers me is that Cowher was here before, under Carl.

Herm and Carl both have contracts that expire after NEXT season.

But if they plan on bringing in Cowher, it would almost guarantee that they're going to renew Carl.

ChiefsFan4Life
08-31-2007, 09:50 AM
LOL - I don't think Cowher is saying "how can I game plan these next couple of years so I can become HC for the Kansas City Chiefs". It's probably more like, "hey, this time off thing isn't so bad. I didn't know until know that I like sleep and my family is pretty cool. Let's give this another year."

I think it's MORE likely that he might decide not to return to coaching again.

Deberg_1990
08-31-2007, 09:52 AM
I wonder if Cowher has any interest in being a GM and Head Coach both? Like Shanahan

dj56dt58
08-31-2007, 09:53 AM
Can be play tackle?

Frankie
08-31-2007, 09:55 AM

But if they plan on bringing in Cowher, it would almost guarantee that they're going to renew Carl.
Not necessarily. If Cowher likes it in KC (the criteria for this thread) He will be dealing with the next GM. Especially since I think the next GM is already in KC under Carl.

htismaqe
08-31-2007, 10:02 AM
Not necessarily. If Cowher likes it in KC (the criteria for this thread) He will be dealing with the next GM. Especially since I think the next GM is already in KC under Carl.

No thinks.

I want a clean break from Carl and all of his buddies.

Woodrow Call
08-31-2007, 10:04 AM
After Herm and Carl ride off together I want someone that isn't from the Marty coaching tree. Nothing against Cowher but IMO he is a glorified version of the current coach that every wants ran out of town.

I want a fresh start.

Brock
08-31-2007, 10:07 AM
LOL

htismaqe
08-31-2007, 10:09 AM
After Herm and Carl ride off together I want someone that isn't from the Marty coaching tree. Nothing against Cowher but IMO he is a glorified version of the current coach that every wants ran out of town.

I want a fresh start.

Pretty much the way I see it.

Skip Towne
08-31-2007, 10:22 AM
Lincoln had a secretary named Kennedy, Kennedy had a secretary named Lincoln.

Mr. Laz
08-31-2007, 10:24 AM
actually i believe Cowher wants to be Head coach and GM so having him show up in a couple of years would fit our situation.

the chiefs would just be looking to replace the president/CEO part of Carl's job.

DaFace
08-31-2007, 10:25 AM
There's reading between the lines, and then there's conjuring up a hypothesis that is way out there but happens to fit between the lines. I hear what you're saying, but I think you're reading way too much into Cowher's statements.

King_Chief_Fan
08-31-2007, 10:27 AM
I have nothing against Herm (yet). I like his drafts and hate his inattention to the 'O.' Now the PTI guys said that Cowher has told CBS that he will not only not coach this year, but not next year either. This being a rebuilding year will not cost Herm his job. But next year will definitely be a "hot seat" year for him. If he gets fired after next year guess who is at the end of his predicted time off coaching?

Again, I hope Herm succeeds here, but you have to admit this is an intriguing situation.

If his two year record is equal to or worse than Gun's two years, he has to go.

King_Chief_Fan

I want a fresh start.

yup

Jeff Fisher anyone?

crazycoffey

To date, your funniest post that I've ever read.... Good job, Gramps.

:p

BIG_DADDY
08-31-2007, 10:30 AM
This is just silly speculation but I would take Cowher in a second.

BIG_DADDY
08-31-2007, 10:31 AM
LMAO

chagrin
08-31-2007, 10:33 AM

Honestly, it seems like you are creating this situation, his name hasn't been linked to KC as head coach in a few years anywhere that I can recall.

That aside, if you say, are asking what we feel about Cowher being a head coach here, I would say YES; I would totally accept that and look forward to it. He has a good eye for talent and his players love him.

BigRedChief
08-31-2007, 10:41 AM

But if they plan on bringing in Cowher, it would almost guarantee that they're going to renew Carl.yep, thats the fly in the ointment. No way Cohwer takes the job if King Carl is out the year after and he has to deal with a new GM unless its another one of King Carl's cronnies that gets the job.

Micjones
08-31-2007, 10:44 AM
I want to see a young coach with fresh new ideas take over this football team. No more Marty re-treads.

Extra Point
08-31-2007, 10:48 AM
See Cowher take both GM and HC jobs in two years. With an actual 5 year plan: SB-or-Get the Hell out of Dodge.

patteeu
08-31-2007, 10:49 AM
This is just silly speculation but I would take Cowher in a second.

Ditto. I would have used a stronger word than silly though.

BigRedChief
08-31-2007, 10:50 AM
No more Marty re-treads.Cowher a marty re-tread. Did you pay attention over the last 10 years? Cowher did more with less talent than the Chiefs underperforming teams ever did. Every year they were writing the steelers off as no talent bottom feeders but almost every year they were in contention. And he did win a Super Bowl which we haven't done since we were at war in Vietnam.

GarySpFc
08-31-2007, 11:15 AM
I saw a Cowher quote a couple of months ago in which he stated there are two places he would consider coaching next, and one was Kansas City.

htismaqe
08-31-2007, 11:17 AM
Cowher is a Marty re-tread that finally showed the ability to grow up and throw away his conservative shell, something Herm has not done.

I would take Cowher IF he were coach AND GM, with a new President/CEO.

No more Carl.

Skip Towne
08-31-2007, 11:21 AM
Cowher is a Marty re-tread that finally showed the ability to grow up and throw away his conservative shell, something Herm has not done.

No more Carl.
Won't you lose your paycheck?

Dicky McElephant
08-31-2007, 11:29 AM
Can we still keep Herm to do our drafts?

kaplin42
08-31-2007, 11:30 AM
Most winningest coach in the last 14 years. I think a saw a stat that said if he was up by 10+ he went 96-3-1 (96 is a vague memory, could be wrong though) which is not a bad record to have. Yeah, I think that I could support a Cowher let football team.

FAX
08-31-2007, 11:33 AM
I would welcome Cowher as HC of the Chiefs. I'd rather have Jeff Fisher, though. He has his team playing out of their minds.

Oh, and Jeff is doing it after a complete cap implosion, a second-year QB, and minimal talent on his roster.

FAX

htismaqe
08-31-2007, 11:35 AM
Won't you lose your paycheck?

I got fired.

OnTheWarpath58
08-31-2007, 11:39 AM

Didn't Herm sign a 4 year, $12M contract?

That would mean 2009 would be his last season.

We have this year plus TWO more.

And isn't CP's contract the same? (through 2009 season?)

REDHOTGTO
08-31-2007, 12:05 PM
whats so great about cowher? 1 lucky years team

Dave Lane
08-31-2007, 12:15 PM
I pray so...

Dave

keg in kc
08-31-2007, 12:17 PM
Great. Marty part 4.

Maybe we can keep the mediocrity streak going another 40 years.

Dave Lane
08-31-2007, 12:19 PM

No more Carl.

Amen and thank you for stating the obvious that Cowher figured out what Marty and Herm never will. :clap:

Dave

Silock
08-31-2007, 12:28 PM
Not going to happen. Herm is just getting started here. They gave DV more time than that, and he sucked balls on one side of the team, too.

ChiefsCountry
08-31-2007, 12:33 PM
Cowher is setting himself up for the Carolina job IMO.

bringbackmarty
08-31-2007, 12:34 PM
cowher took em to 2 super bowls, but I want either a hot woman, like o my god, like, kelli croyle, or Fax as our coach. No more Marty retreads. If we are gonna suck like this, I want to be entertained.

Woodrow Call
08-31-2007, 12:35 PM

Thats what I'm thinking as well. Maybe Cleveland.

bringbackmarty
08-31-2007, 12:35 PM
caus if we like win a game she'll like throw us a party, like.

Frankie
08-31-2007, 12:38 PM
yup

Jeff Fisher anyone?
I don't know why, but I have never liked Fisher. Maybe it's because he looks a lot like a used car salesman.

Frankie
08-31-2007, 12:43 PM
I want to see a young coach with fresh new ideas take over this football team. No more Marty re-treads.
Young or old is not my concern. But I want to see a coach with a creative mind on both sides of the ball (ala Hank Stram). we seem to either go after an 'O' whore or a 'D' one. How about someone who gets excited by BOTH offense AND defense?

Frankie
08-31-2007, 12:46 PM
Cowher a marty re-tread. Did you pay attention over the last 10 years? Cowher did more with less talent than the Chiefs underperforming teams ever did. Every year they were writing the steelers off as no talent bottom feeders but almost every year they were in contention. And he did win a Super Bowl which we haven't done since we were at war in Vietnam.
Good post. Very true.

chagrin
whats so great about cowher? 1 lucky years team

What? You've got to be kidding me. He went to 3 AFC Championship games and should have at least 2 Super Bowl Rings. More than we have done in the past 25 years. He is NOT a retread, unless you define retread as a highly successful coach who just happened to get his start coaching under Marty

Sully
Young or old is not my concern. But I want to see a coach with a creative mind on both sides of the ball (ala Hank Stram). we seem to either go after an 'O' whore or a 'D' one. How about someone who gets excited by BOTH offense AND defense?
You can't have seen the Steelers over the past decade or so and honestly believe Cowher isn't (or doesn't allow his assistants to be) creative with the offense.

KC-TBB
08-31-2007, 12:48 PM
PLUS, his chin sticks out when he's mad...THAT ROCKS!

chagrin
08-31-2007, 12:48 PM
You can't have seen the Steelers over the past decade or so and honestly believe Cowher isn't (or doesn't allow his assistants to be) creative with the offense.

No shit :clap:

And for the record:

Wade Phillips - retread
Norv Turner - retread
Dick Jauron - quickly becoming a retread

Bill Cowher - Super Bowl winning Coach

Frankie
08-31-2007, 12:50 PM
Can we still keep Herm to do our drafts?
My thoughts exactly. That's why I actually want Herm to start getting excited about a creative 'O' and succeed. If he does, I think it will be a lasting success with good drafts.

scooter
08-31-2007, 12:50 PM
I don't know why, but I have never liked Fisher. Maybe it's because he looks a lot like a used car salesman.

True....but you never know, he COULD be a secret agent as well.

Frankie
08-31-2007, 12:54 PM
I never said he was not creative minded.

Sully
08-31-2007, 12:55 PM
I apologize. I trying to read between the lines of that post I quoted, i assumed you were claiming he matched the description you were trying to make.

htismaqe
08-31-2007, 01:06 PM
Didn't Herm sign a 4 year, $12M contract?

That would mean 2009 would be his last season.

We have this year plus TWO more.

And isn't CP's contract the same? (through 2009 season?)

Yeah, you're right. I got the cart before the horse. Their contracts are up after the season AFTER next.

Excuse, I'm going to go shoot myself now.

Frankie
08-31-2007, 02:50 PM
I apologize. I trying to read between the lines of that post I quoted, i assumed you were claiming he matched the description you were trying to make.
No biggy. I also think that Cowher, for a defensive coach, has better recognition of offense's importance than either Marty or Herm.

Crashride
08-31-2007, 03:38 PM
with cowher print em' .... but seriously give herm till the end of the season at least. The only reason this type of thread is coming up is because were 0-4 in the PRE-season. If we were 4-0 there would be nothing but praises for Herm and Carl

Saggysack
08-31-2007, 05:19 PM
with cowher print em' .... but seriously give herm till the end of the season at least. The only reason this type of thread is coming up is because were 0-4 in the PRE-season. If we were 4-0 there would be nothing but praises for Herm and Carl

Well no shit.

It's a performance based industry. Either you win, or your head is on a platter.

Frankie
09-01-2007, 12:49 AM
The only reason this type of thread is coming up is because were 0-4 in the PRE-season. If we were 4-0 there would be nothing but praises for Herm and Carl
:hmmm:

Warning: The wisdom expressed above may be too shocking for some readers.
:p

Ebolapox
09-01-2007, 12:57 AM
True....but you never know, he COULD be a secret agent as well.

he could be hitler?

Mojo Rising
09-01-2007, 07:20 PM

I agree. If Carolina has a good year and they keep Fox and Cowher goes to the highest bidder in '08. I don't see him sitting another season out.

Clark is much to consumed with the new stadium to entertain new coaches. Herm will be the man for the next 2 years.

Buehler445
09-01-2007, 07:30 PM
I would welcome Cowher as HC of the Chiefs. I'd rather have Jeff Fisher, though. He has his team playing out of their minds.

Oh, and Jeff is doing it after a complete cap implosion, a second-year QB, and minimal talent on his roster.

FAX

Fisher is the Titans HC right?

Mi_chief_fan
09-01-2007, 08:17 PM

Even better. Fox would then be available.

KChiefs1
01-19-2009, 06:59 PM
bump because we need more Cowher threads on the first page.:)