PDA

View Full Version : Salary Cap: Remaining $$ as of 5/14

Mile High Mania
05-16-2001, 12:19 PM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/s/2001/0305/1130374.html

I'm not sure if this truly accounts for everyone that has been signed as of 5/14, but check out the link.

It says Denver still has $2.3M ... KC has $516k ... and get this, Dallas has $2,000. Two thousand dollars! What a joke.

58Forever
05-16-2001, 01:58 PM
Is there a rookie pool too? because if there ain't I don't see how us or a lot of other teams are going to sign there draft picks...I was never sure how the cap works when it comes to rookies...:(

Mile High Mania
05-16-2001, 02:46 PM
That $90M payroll is kinda misleading ... not really relating to the cap. Basically, it counts salaries, signing bonuses and all that has been paid out. In contrast, the cap counts bonuses in a prorated fashion.

I think that is the difference...

Yeah, if this blows up .. you guys will have some major fun.

ChiTown
05-16-2001, 03:44 PM
$2.3MM left???? WTF!!!

Whoever Denver has managing their Salary Cap, I want them to manage my personal finances and do my taxes. They are the only team in the NFL that can turn water into wine. Unbelieveable!:mad:

NaptownChief
05-16-2001, 03:48 PM
Denver is the the 9ers and Cowpies of the 90's...Unlimited cap room....Kinda...Until it explodes on you in about 5 years...

Cormac
05-16-2001, 03:56 PM
Isn't the cap limit set to take a jump in a couple of years? It's estimated to go up $8m the offseason after next I think. This might help the Broncos deal with all this spending. Meanwhile we'll spend our extra cap space on Gonzo's new contract next year and probably use the rest as an excuse for more Dilgasms :)

DaWolf
05-16-2001, 04:29 PM
It's all due to smart investments, and sometimes luck. For example, Denver has two very talented running backs under contract for next to nothing. They also were lucky that Dale Carter got suspended due to the drug test thing, so essentially they can let him go without having to worry about a cap hit.

In our case, Chester was just a bad investment. You take his $7 million dollar cap hit this year off the books and we would have had about $14 mil to spend this offseason.

It also does not help that Trent Green is not healthy enough to fully evaluate how we should approach him regarding an extension. Once that point is reached, if Carl and Steiner don't get into a pissing match, his salary will be reduced for the first few years, thus giving us more cap room.

The good news seems to be we're in the clear for next year, at least according to Vermiel, so hopefully we can make some decisions. Green will probably be extended by then, Edwards and Alexander's numbers go up, so they would need to be renegotiated or cut. A decision will have to be made on Dan Williams, so look for him to get cut next year unless he picks it up this year. and of course, Gonzo needs to be reupped...

Cormac
05-17-2001, 06:28 AM
Da Wolf (or anybody),

I have seen where people have posted that our cap situation will be good next season. Are there any figures on that?

Mile High Mania
05-17-2001, 07:30 AM
I'm sure it's out there somewhere, but I have no idea where to start looking. If the cap goes up $8M for next year, then that would help most teams. I guess it depends if you guys will have to take cap hits for guys like Chester or Elvis next year, or are you done with that this year? I think Denver will take a $4M cap hit next year for Carter. I think...

Cormac
05-17-2001, 09:11 AM
As far as I know it's after the 2002 season that the cap limit jumps up, not next-offseason. I think this is why Snyder figured he'd get away with all those ridiculous signings last offseason (the backloaded contracts wouldn't kick in until then). I don't know how much of our cap woes we've cleared by cutting Grbac, Hasty, Anders, McGlockton etc., or if that will still affect us next year. If not, then we are in pretty damn good shape to re-sign Gonzo and upgrade our D IMO.

keg in kc
05-17-2001, 04:35 PM
The players we've cut already only affect our cap this year. If, on the other hand, we cut anyone after June 1, then they split the cap pain between this year and next year. So Chester the Digester, Elvis, Kimble, Hasty, etc. don't count for anything after 2001.

Cormac
05-17-2001, 04:45 PM
Thanks Kyle. :o

Chester the Digester.......lol

hawaiianboy
05-17-2001, 09:18 PM
I've read the Portland Bronco's.. er, the Denver Trail Blazers... will have the highest payroll of all time this year....

I hope that veterans backing up veterans has the same chemistry result for Bowlan as it did for Paul Allen....

My own preference would be to have a hungry young player with something to prove pushing my vet....

The RAT goes down this year!! And he goes down hard!!

chief52
05-17-2001, 09:28 PM
Who knows where each team is in terms of the salary cap? No one. That is all a bunch of garbage. When the season starts the NFL will know where they are. Right now it is just some sports writer talking to "an inside source" who washes jocks. Enough on the salary cap.

keg in kc
05-17-2001, 09:48 PM
Actually several of us do know and understand the salary cap situation as it stands right now, and it doesn't have anything to do with anything "some sportswriter" says. A post like yours, however, demonstrates that you don't understand what's going on, so maybe you should try either staying silent on the issue or at leats trying not to insult the rest of us who are interested in it.

If you really want to learn, the salary cap numbers for every team right now contains the team's 51 highest paid players out of the 80-100 that each team currently has under contract. That number will be used until the day the 53 man roster is set shortly before the season begins.

Them's the facts, like 'em or not...

chief52
05-17-2001, 09:55 PM
I do not doubt that what you say is true about what counts against the salary cap. But you really do not know what each player's salary...bonus...etc. are. I did not mean to put you down, I just know for a fact that anyone not inside these organizations does not know where they stand. If you really think you know exactly where the Chiefs stand in regards to the salary cap and you are not inside the organization you are only fooling yourself.

chief52
05-17-2001, 10:03 PM
Keg in KC;

To put it another way...you know the equation for figuring out the salary cap, but since you do now know the numbers to plug in you have now way of coming up with the answer.

Unless of course you have inside information in which case I apoligize.

keg in kc
05-17-2001, 10:08 PM
NFLpa.org (this is an official site) contains the base salary information for every player in the NFL. If there's any questions about bonus numbers, then you can generally find those numbers through other outlets (contract information from CNNsi or CBSsportsline, etc) and compare them to the information on nflpa.org and see if the reported salary is accurate (which 99% it is...).

chief52
05-18-2001, 08:28 PM
keg in kc...

Well, I guess it just gets down to a difference of opinion on how reliable the information is that we get. I do not know what each player gets as far as base or bonus...but I do know for a fact that very often ( at least 50% of the time ) it is incorrect.

I guess it is just a matter of what you read, hear, see and what you choose to believe.

But on another subject...I am sippin' Jack on the rocks and toasting you.

GO CHIEFS!!!

keg in kc
05-18-2001, 08:56 PM
Chief52, if you want to know the factual numbers for what a player's base salary is, just do an active player search on the official National Football League Player Association website (http://www.nflpa.org/members/main.asp?subPage=Active+Player+Search). That's what I was trying to tell you in my last post...

KCPHILLY
05-19-2001, 06:21 PM
Lions | Rice Still a Strong Possibility? - posted at KFFL (http://nfl.kffl.com)

I have familiarized myself with the salary cap over the last several years and would like to think I have a pretty solid working idea of all the nuances, and though I would much rather see RICE playing in DETROIT as opposed to SEATTLE or OAKLAND, I'm trying to understand how a team can "induce" RICE by offering Car Dealerships.:confused:

KCPHILLY
05-19-2001, 06:24 PM
Sorry, my first attempt at useing the quote option. Here's the KFFL quote...

Lions | Rice Still a Strong Possibility? - posted at KFFL (http://nfl.kffl.com)
12:28 ET: The San Francisco Chronicle reports the Detroit Lions remain a "very attractive situation" for WR Jerry Rice, according to his agent Jim Steiner. The Lions, Raiders and Seahawks are all showing interest in Rice at this time. The Lions are reportedly offering car dealerships as an inducement for Rice to join them.