PDA

View Full Version : HDTV Antenna pros, what do you think of this one?

Lzen
08-31-2007, 09:31 AM
http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/ref=sc_ri_2/602-1976439-4043806?ie=UTF8&asin=B0007XDI54

I'm taking back that POS RCA that I bought from Walmart because it broke on me. What do you guys think of this one? I know I can get it much cheaper online, but I want it today.

Frazod
08-31-2007, 10:35 AM
http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/ref=sc_ri_2/602-1976439-4043806?ie=UTF8&asin=B0007XDI54

I'm taking back that POS RCA that I bought from Walmart because it broke on me. What do you guys think of this one? I know I can get it much cheaper online, but I want it today.

Very similar to the one I had. Be advised, though - these things have issues with low-numbered channels. I was able to get channel 5, but never channel 2 (which sucked, because that's the CBS affiliate in Chicago). I don't know about 3 or 4, but if one of the channels you're wanting to pick up is low, I'd check into it before dropping the money.

Beyond that one issue, I never had a problem.

Sure-Oz
08-31-2007, 10:39 AM
They all do the same thing, cheap or expensive.

Skip Towne
08-31-2007, 10:45 AM
Buy a big antenna (10' long) and mount it in your attic or on a pole outside. One inch pipe works well. Concrete the pole 2' into the ground and pipe strap it to your house.

Stewie
08-31-2007, 11:23 AM

The ad says not available in stores and it's 2-6 weeks delivery.

Baby Lee
08-31-2007, 11:43 AM
A Silver Sensor came with my HDTV Wonder card for my computer. I stuck it out a window with proper orientation [ www.antennaweb.org ] and get all locals fine. But I am in the city, not trying to pull in distant channels.

Lzen
08-31-2007, 11:51 AM
The ad says not available in stores and it's 2-6 weeks delivery.

Doh! :banghead: :homer:

Lzen
08-31-2007, 11:53 AM
According to www.antennaweb.org, the furthest chanel (WIBW 13) is 19 miles away. They are all between 255 and 296 degrees on the compass orientation.

mikeyis4dcats.
08-31-2007, 11:53 AM
there is no such thing as an HD antenna. Rabbit ears will work just was well if properly installed and oriented.

Skip Towne
08-31-2007, 12:56 PM
there is no such thing as an HD antenna. Rabbit ears will work just was well if properly installed and oriented.
Rabbit ears are OK only under optimum conditions. Power stations and tall buildings are but a couple of things that screw them up. But mostly they suck baows as Lzen found out.

BIG_DADDY
08-31-2007, 02:46 PM
Rabbit ears are OK only under optimum conditions. Power stations and tall buildings are but a couple of things that screw them up. But mostly they suck baows as Lzen found out.
What's the latest on pirating Skip?

Skip Towne
08-31-2007, 03:46 PM
What's the latest on pirating Skip?
I haven't heard of anyone able to do it. I miss it.

NUMBER7
08-31-2007, 03:46 PM
I have 2 of these...great with the amplifier in Kansas City. I get all the available stations.
http://www.buy.com/prod/terk-hd-tva-amplified-indoor-hdtv-uhf-vhf-antenna/q/loc/111/90144642.html

dtebbe
08-31-2007, 08:32 PM
According to www.antennaweb.org, the furthest chanel (WIBW 13) is 19 miles away. They are all between 255 and 296 degrees on the compass orientation.

If that's the case, and assuming you don't have any terrain in your way that silver sensor should work well. It's a great little antenna. Just make sure all the stations are UHF. VHF will suck with that antenna.

DT

Baby Lee
09-01-2007, 11:09 AM
Very similar to the one I had. Be advised, though - these things have issues with low-numbered channels. I was able to get channel 5, but never channel 2 (which sucked, because that's the CBS affiliate in Chicago). I don't know about 3 or 4, but if one of the channels you're wanting to pick up is low, I'd check into it before dropping the money.

Beyond that one issue, I never had a problem.
Digital channels are reassigned, so 2 isn't necessarily low.

For example, in St. Louis;

CH2=43
CH4=56
CH5=35
CH9=39
CH11=26
CH24=14
CH30=31
CH46=47

Lzen
09-01-2007, 08:40 PM
Yeah, I believe channel 13 here in Topeka is actually UHF 44 in digital.

Well, I took the original antenna that I bought at Walmart (a Phillips, btw) back and got a refund. I bought an RCA with 45db amplification at Target. It took a lot of adjusting, but I managed to get all the digital local channels. The only thing is the CBS affiliate (WIBW 13) comes in at under 70% sometimes. For now, that seems to be good enough to get a steady picture. I am afraid this will be a problem on a stormy day, though. I guess I just won't be able to watch the Chiefs in HD on those bad weather days. :(

Also, why is there no Fox affiliate in HD in Topeka? That is fooked. And Dish says the locals don't allow them to offer me the locals in HD. That is BS. :cuss:

BigMeatballDave
09-03-2007, 06:51 PM
And Dish says the locals don't allow them to offer me the locals in HD. That is BS. :cuss:yeah, I recently upgraded to HD, and Dish told me the same thing. Well, they just said they weren't available.

Lzen
09-16-2007, 04:43 PM
Ok, I'm getting a little tired of this. On a sunny day, this little amplified 45dB RCA indoor antenna works fine most of the time. But if it's a bit cloudy, the damn signal keeps going in and out. I'm thinking perhaps a good outdoor antenna would be a better option. Any suggestions for a good outdoor antenna?

JBucc
09-16-2007, 04:50 PM
BOOOOOOOOOOOO

JBucc
09-16-2007, 04:50 PM
Oh shit, thought I was in the game thread, lol. Disreguard that boo.

Skip Towne
09-16-2007, 05:56 PM
Ok, I'm getting a little tired of this. On a sunny day, this little amplified 45dB RCA indoor antenna works fine most of the time. But if it's a bit cloudy, the damn signal keeps going in and out. I'm thinking perhaps a good outdoor antenna would be a better option. Any suggestions for a good outdoor antenna?
See my post #4 on this thead. With an analog device higher and bigger is better.

Lzen
09-18-2007, 09:02 AM
I found my solution.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103088&cp=2032057.2032187.2032189.2032205&parentPage=family

I put a 5' mast onto my chimney and now I'm in business. Hooked up this thing last night and all my local over the air digital channels were coming in at 95-100% signal strength. With the little indoor amplified RCA rabbit ears, I was only getting 65-75% on good days.

Best of all, this little antenna was only $30. I did have to buy coax cable for it, a chimney installation kit, and a mast. But it is well worth it. For around $100, I now have a very strong reception. No more signal loss in the middle of a play. PBJ

Manila-Chief
09-21-2007, 02:48 PM
Skip and et al,

I have not made the HD plunge, yet. Gotta couple questions for all who will reply:

1. With DTV will I save money by having an antenna for local stations? I know there used to be a separate price of about $5.00 for locations but not sure that is still true?

2 As for as viewing programs, how does DTV work in conjunction with a local antenna? Will I have physically go make the switch whenever we watch local channels?

I'm considering this antenna:

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Philips-Outdoor-HDTV-Antenna-MNT902W/sem/rpsm/oid/158308/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

We have plenty of space up in our attic and I would just lay the antenna up there ... will that work or will it have to be level?

Thanks guys in advance.

Lzen
09-26-2007, 12:38 PM
Skip and et al,

I have not made the HD plunge, yet. Gotta couple questions for all who will reply:

1. With DTV will I save money by having an antenna for local stations? I know there used to be a separate price of about $5.00 for locations but not sure that is still true?

2 As for as viewing programs, how does DTV work in conjunction with a local antenna? Will I have physically go make the switch whenever we watch local channels?

I'm considering this antenna:

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Philips-Outdoor-HDTV-Antenna-MNT902W/sem/rpsm/oid/158308/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

We have plenty of space up in our attic and I would just lay the antenna up there ... will that work or will it have to be level?

Thanks guys in advance.

Nice of Skip to answer you. I don't know what DTV charges so I can't say for sure. I do know that Dish Network charges $5 a month for locals so I imagine DTV probably has a similar charge. Frankly, I wish I could just drop the locals from DN and the extra charge altogether. My UHF antenna works very well. Unfortunately, the local Fox affiliate does not have a digital signal.

The way mine works is that there is an additional tuner on the receiver for the antenna. So, there is no physical switching; just a matter of changing to the over the air channels. NOTE:The initial setup did require that the tuner search for the local channels.

As for the antenna, it looks like a good one. I think you should be able to do that with no problems.

dtebbe
09-26-2007, 01:42 PM
I found my solution.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103088&cp=2032057.2032187.2032189.2032205&parentPage=family

I put a 5' mast onto my chimney and now I'm in business. Hooked up this thing last night and all my local over the air digital channels were coming in at 95-100% signal strength. With the little indoor amplified RCA rabbit ears, I was only getting 65-75% on good days.

Best of all, this little antenna was only $30. I did have to buy coax cable for it, a chimney installation kit, and a mast. But it is well worth it. For around $100, I now have a very strong reception. No more signal loss in the middle of a play. PBJ

Make sure you run a ground wire down from the mast to a good ground rod. Trust me on this one, it's worth the effort....

DT

Lzen
09-26-2007, 02:18 PM
Make sure you run a ground wire down from the mast to a good ground rod. Trust me on this one, it's worth the effort....

DT

Already did that. Thanks.

Manila-Chief
09-26-2007, 09:25 PM
Nice of Skip to answer you. I don't know what DTV charges so I can't say for sure. I do know that Dish Network charges $5 a month for locals so I imagine DTV probably has a similar charge. Frankly, I wish I could just drop the locals from DN and the extra charge altogether. My UHF antenna works very well. Unfortunately, the local Fox affiliate does not have a digital signal.

The way mine works is that there is an additional tuner on the receiver for the antenna. So, there is no physical switching; just a matter of changing to the over the air channels. NOTE:The initial setup did require that the tuner search for the local channels.

As for the antenna, it looks like a good one. I think you should be able to do that with no problems.

Thanks for your reply!!! That was helpful.

Another question:

My Dad has Dish. He lives in West Alabama, Dish gives him local stations that are only in Ala. and most are 100 miles away. There are a couple stations that are only about 30 miles away but they are in Miss. They would give more of his local news and especially weather news when storms come through since they are Southwest of where he lives. But, Dish will only give the Ala. stations.

I looked at his Dish receiver the other day when I was down there. It does have a connection for an "over the air" local antenna. I looked on his remote for the Dish and didn't see a button for switching to an antenna. If we were to get him an antenna do any of you know if we will have to get another receiver from Dish? Or do you know how it would work?

09-26-2007, 09:35 PM
I found my solution.

Are you able to pull in ANY of the KC channels with that?

The whole FOX thing ticks me off.

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-26-2007, 09:39 PM

Another question:

My Dad has Dish. He lives in West Alabama, Dish gives him local stations that are only in Ala. and most are 100 miles away. There are a couple stations that are only about 30 miles away but they are in Miss. They would give more of his local news and especially weather news when storms come through since they are Southwest of where he lives. But, Dish will only give the Ala. stations.

I looked at his Dish receiver the other day when I was down there. It does have a connection for an "over the air" local antenna. I looked on his remote for the Dish and didn't see a button for switching to an antenna. If we were to get him an antenna do any of you know if we will have to get another receiver from Dish? Or do you know how it would work?

1) Either you can search for local channels through the dish and use the receiver as a tuner or

2) You can turn the dish off to access the channels.

Lzen
09-27-2007, 05:23 PM
Are you able to pull in ANY of the KC channels with that?

The whole FOX thing ticks me off.

It only has a range of about 60 miles. Sunday morning, I got up on the roof, unbolted it, and aimed it east, northeast. The best I could pick up Fox 4 out of KC was in the 50s percentage wise. Not good enough to be of value. :( If you want to pick up KC stations, you will have to buy one of those huge old fashioned antennas.

Lzen
09-27-2007, 05:46 PM
It only has a range of about 60 miles. Sunday morning, I got up on the roof, unbolted it, and aimed it east, northeast. The best I could pick up Fox 4 out of KC was in the 50s percentage wise. Not good enough to be of value. :( If you want to pick up KC stations, you will have to buy one of those huge old fashioned antennas.

Oh, and that Fox thing pisses me off, too. I sent an email to KTMJ asking if they plan to broadcast a digital signal and if they would include the network HD broadcast. I asked if they weren't planning to do that if they could give me permission to get the KC Fox through Dish. I sent that over a week ago and still haven't gotten a reply.

Skip Towne
09-27-2007, 05:47 PM
Yep. I think mine is 8' long. Wal Mart has them for about $90.

Lzen
09-27-2007, 05:52 PM

Another question:

There is no switching to the antenna input. The over the air (antenna) locals will show up in the guide just like the other channels. The only difference is the color that they are displayed in the guide is yellow, as opposed to he normal blue.

Lzen
09-27-2007, 05:57 PM

Another question:

BTW, the furthest station from me is 19 miles (according to www.antennaweb.org). With that little antenna I get about 98% signal reception. So, I think that would work for your dad.

02-22-2008, 03:57 AM
Yeah, I believe channel 13 here in Topeka is actually UHF 44 in digital.

Well, I took the original antenna that I bought at Walmart (a Phillips, btw) back and got a refund. I bought an RCA with 45db amplification at Target. It took a lot of adjusting, but I managed to get all the digital local channels. The only thing is the CBS affiliate (WIBW 13) comes in at under 70% sometimes. For now, that seems to be good enough to get a steady picture. I am afraid this will be a problem on a stormy day, though. I guess I just won't be able to watch the Chiefs in HD on those bad weather days. :(

Also, why is there no Fox affiliate in HD in Topeka? That is fooked. And Dish says the locals don't allow them to offer me the locals in HD. That is BS. :cuss:

But Channel 13 will be changing from 44 back to 13 February 2009.

02-22-2008, 05:29 AM
BTW, the furthest station from me is 19 miles (according to www.antennaweb.org (http://www.antennaweb.org/)). With that little antenna I get about 98% signal reception. So, I think that would work for your dad.

Also, how is that antenna working out for you. Are you in a high area of Topeka or low lying area?

I am in one of the highest spots of Topeka but surrounded by huge trees as well.

Lzen
02-22-2008, 09:59 AM
Also, how is that antenna working out for you. Are you in a high area of Topeka or low lying area?

I am in one of the highest spots of Topeka but surrounded by huge trees as well.

Antenna from Radio Shack works great. I live just a few blocks west the hospitals. Not really high at all. Not low, either.

What's this about 13 going back to channel 13 (instead of 44)? How did you hear of this? I don't think (hope) that won't affect me. I get channel 11 (11.1, 11.2, 11.3) now with no problems. I suppose as long as it still comes from the same direction, I'll be fine.

Lzen
02-22-2008, 10:04 AM
BTW GURU, I called KJMJ last week. They told me that they will have a digital signal before Feb. 09. But they said it will be August at the earliest. Guess I will have to continue for a few months paying Dish for the locals. Hopefully, they will get their digital signal by football season.

02-22-2008, 11:06 PM
Antenna from Radio Shack works great. I live just a few blocks west the hospitals. Not really high at all. Not low, either.

What's this about 13 going back to channel 13 (instead of 44)? How did you hear of this? I don't think (hope) that won't affect me. I get channel 11 (11.1, 11.2, 11.3) now with no problems. I suppose as long as it still comes from the same direction, I'll be fine.

It states it on the anntennaweb site.

02-22-2008, 11:08 PM
BTW GURU, I called KJMJ last week. They told me that they will have a digital signal before Feb. 09. But they said it will be August at the earliest. Guess I will have to continue for a few months paying Dish for the locals. Hopefully, they will get their digital signal by football season.

Last time I heard from them, they said it would be this February. So much for that.

With this WIBW crap going on and the fact that KTMJ is still not up, I will probably have to go the antenna route. Just need my two converter boxes for the rest of my TVs so my wife can keep recording every crap show on TV.

At least the Chiefs are NOT in the NFC. That would suck.

03-11-2011, 08:35 PM
Any of the Topeka guys find an antenna that will pull in both Topeka and KC channels?

crispystl
03-13-2011, 05:22 PM
[QUOTE='Hamas' Jenkins;4247829]1) Either you can search for local channels through the dish and use the receiver as a tuner or

Wait you can get locals in HD through the dish? without an antennae?

Lzen
03-14-2011, 09:28 AM
[quote='Hamas' Jenkins;4247829]1) Either you can search for local channels through the dish and use the receiver as a tuner or

Wait you can get locals in HD through the dish? without an antennae?

Yes.

Lzen
03-14-2011, 09:30 AM
Any of the Topeka guys find an antenna that will pull in both Topeka and KC channels?

I'm guessing you would need 2 antennas for that. On points west toward the tv stations and one pointed east toward KC stations. And probably the old big antennas.

Dave Lane
03-14-2011, 09:55 AM
Here's some antennas that are free and up there every nite. Just photoed them last week. I think they may even get HD :) sorry for the interrupt

The Antennae are undergoing a galactic collision. Located in the NGC 4038 group with five other galaxies, these two galaxies are known as the 'Antennae' because the two long tails of stars, gas and dust thrown out of the galaxies as a result of the collision resemble the antennae of an insect. The nuclei of the two galaxies are joining to become one giant galaxy. Most galaxies probably undergo at least one significant collision in their lifetimes. This is likely the future of our Milky Way when it collides with the Andromeda Galaxy. Two supernovae have been discovered in the galaxies: SN 2004GT and SN 2007sr.

Dave Lane
03-14-2011, 09:57 AM
Here's a pic

04-07-2012, 01:23 PM

It only took them until late 2011. heh

04-09-2012, 06:43 AM
I am able to pick up the KC channels in the morning but not in the evening. This is with a standard UHF antenna and a 23-33db booster. If I upgraded my antenna would I be able to get them in the evening too?