PDA

View Full Version : 2008- A Chiefs Fan In South Texas

HypnotizedMonkey
08-31-2007, 12:01 PM
2008- A Chiefs Fan In South Texas

As I prepare myself for another rocky season of bar-hopping, train-robbing, and pretty much whatever else it takes a fan from South Texas not to miss a Kansas City Chiefs game, I reflect on where I was at the end of last regular season; The magical New Year's Eve day when I threw my hat up into the air in a desolate flatscreen-filled Austin, Texas bowling alley bar as SF's Joe Nedney stuns the Donkeys at home and catapults the Chiefs into the playoffs, capping an anxiety-filled day of watching the Chiefs (narrowly but excitingly) beat Jacksonville, New England taking it to Tennessee on the road, and that super-exciting Pittsburgh victory at Cincinatti. It was the most exciting day I've had as a football fan. Needless to say, the New Years Eve parties in Austin were a great way to end this anxiety-ridden juggernaut of a day.

PLAYOFFS HERE WE COME!....
I got a good few days of happiness in before KC eventually lost at Indianapolis in a fast-paced amped-up game the Chiefs looked very unprepared for.

The Trent Green knockout on opening day, and eventual trade to Miami draws a huge question mark as to what this team will look like in 2007.
With HBO's Hard Knocks, and the evolution of streaming video (and torrent) on the 'net, this pre-season has proved to be the most accessible for me to date: Technological Evolution. It has definately been an in-depth view of a rebuilding team.

In what was deemed a "win the job" Quarterback battle, clouded by injuries and overall team inconsistencies, nobody actually won the job.

Lame-on Huard, Blow-dy Croyle, Dicey Printers, & Jeff Terrible .. the Kansas City Chiefs Pre-Season Quarterback Battle ends 0-4.

So the logical choice is to start Damon Huard, because he rarely turned the ball over last year. He's the most consistant QB on the depth chart. The shaky offensive line will force him to react early due to collapsed pockets this season, which will result in more turnovers and more inconsistency than last year. Croyle will be waiting with his huge, immature gun on the sidelines... for now. The real question is, how itchy is Herm's trigger finger? Will we see Huard benched early for his pet QB?

KC will be relying on Larry Johnson heavily this season, and hopefully the extra pounds in his wallet will be met with some extra push into that porous O-line.

Kansas City's Red Carpet Defense ... turning scrubs into stars .. who wants 150 yards?? Since Dick Vermeil was coach in KC, nothing has pained me more than watching the Defense miss tackles and give up big plays on a consistant basis. If I get an ulcer, I will know who to blame.
But..
It looks like the D is making a turn for the better, and when Tamba, Tank, Turk, and the Terminator (Jared Allen) gain some game experience together, we may see one of the better D-lines of the future. (if Jared Allen decides to stay in town... which I hope King Carl makes happen.) Derrick Johnson is set to make his mark on the league. Veteran help could be the key at linebacker. It also could leave another hole to rebuild in the near future. If the other team puts the ball on the ground or makes mistakes.. the D must start capitalizing, because KC's offense is not what it once was.

We have the best punter in the league.

Medlock hasn't looked too good yet.

Priest Holmes would be a good weapon to have ... who knows if he will ever see the field? If he does, watch out.

We Start the season in Houston, Texas, The site of Kansas City's last playoff Victory. Maybe all the magic got spent last New Year's Eve... at least the game will be on local television, so I can begin my latest 17-week HD bar-hopping rampage at home. Away from these goddamn Cowboys fans.

Phobia
08-31-2007, 12:13 PM
Nice post. It started off very interesting and then tailed off towards then end, like you were in a hurry. But I'll give it a B+. Pretty good for a n00b.

Monty
08-31-2007, 12:44 PM
Phil.....maybe his interest was waning there toward the end? ;)

HM.......If you're in Corpus, I'd encourage you to make the trek up to Reliant on opening day and come party with your fellow Chiefs fans. :toast: We'll be in the blue parking lot and there's about 20 in our group already and I'm sure more will show up. :) I expect some good numbers based on what I'm hearing, so it should make for a great road game, despite what we've seen in the preseason. :)

Phobia
08-31-2007, 01:14 PM
Monty, are you gonna have the command center in Houston?

You should contact OnTheWarpath. He's a good guy and I believe is attending the Texans game solo. He's looking for somebody to hang with.

Monty
08-31-2007, 01:24 PM

You should contact OnTheWarpath. He's a good guy and I believe is attending the Texans game solo. He's looking for somebody to hang with.

I won't be taking it down as the gas is just too expensive. It's about 700 miles one way and I get about 9 MPG with the Command Center, so it would be about $200 in gas each way. I think I'll pass. ;)

I'll PM OTW and give him my cell number.

HypnotizedMonkey
08-31-2007, 01:43 PM
Phil.....maybe his interest was waning there toward the end? ;)

HM.......If you're in Corpus, I'd encourage you to make the trek up to Reliant on opening day and come party with your fellow Chiefs fans. :toast: We'll be in the blue parking lot and there's about 20 in our group already and I'm sure more will show up. :) I expect some good numbers based on what I'm hearing, so it should make for a great road game, despite what we've seen in the preseason. :)

That would be Rad. I looked into getting some tickets but that plus the trek is a little out of my starving artist price range. I got to see Dante Hall return the punt at Reliant (nice aerial view) during his 4-game stretch the last time they played in Houston. Should be a more competitive game this time.

As for the waning... don't wanna bore anyone! Dig the Command Center!!!!

Count Zarth
08-31-2007, 08:43 PM
It's too bad you're in Corpus. I'm in Spring.

Phobia
08-31-2007, 08:44 PM
It's too bad you're in Corpus. I'm in Spring.
Dude, stop trying to score with dudes on the internet. Jeez.

OnTheWarpath58
08-31-2007, 09:08 PM

I'm an asshole, Phil. Just ask around. ;)

I got your PM Monty, and appreciate the invite. I'll talk to the wife this week and decide what we want to do. We may be heading into the stadium early since we have seats up close.

I'll probably give you a call on Saturday afternoon/evening.