PDA

View Full Version : Field orientation

Zebedee DuBois
08-31-2007, 05:07 PM
Why are the vast majority of football fields oriented with the long dimension running north and south?
I can think of only a handful of fields running east and west.

Sun in the visiting fans eyes?
Sun not in one teams eyes vs. the other team?
Avoiding wind patterns?

Skip Towne
08-31-2007, 05:22 PM
Why are the vast majority of football fields oriented with the long dimension running north and south?
I can think of only a handful of fields running east and west.

Sun in the visiting fans eyes?
Sun not in one teams eyes vs. the other team?
Avoiding wind patterns?
Wind patterns. Arrowhead doesn't run N/S. Kinda SW/NE.

Rain Man
08-31-2007, 06:00 PM
I figure that you don't want the quarterbacks and kick returners looking straight into the sun.

Zebedee DuBois
08-31-2007, 06:30 PM
I was hoping for some more conspiratorial answers.

Like how football is actually derived from a sacred Norse ritual, and the orientation honors Oden. Druids were the original cheer leaders.

or.

East-west orientation could cause deviations in the earth spin if several teams featuring strong running games were played on the same day. For safety's sake, N/S fields predominate.

Phobia
08-31-2007, 06:32 PM
When God created football he instructed Jerry Jones to build Texas Stadium running North and South. Jerry complied at that time but ignored God when he told him not to hire Wade Phillips.

Rain Man
08-31-2007, 06:34 PM
It could also possibly date from the Civil War. Early football pioneers played on the north-south rivalry to increase interest in the game.

Zebedee DuBois
08-31-2007, 06:42 PM
I think I'll leave you now to go watch a HS game.

East is playing North on a N/S field, coincidentally in the northeast side of town. East has a couple potential future HFLers playing. I can see 'em now for only $5.

Phobia
08-31-2007, 06:55 PM
I didn't know you were in Des Moines, Zeb. We used to stomp North in track all the time. The brothers would walk off the track with a surprised - "damn them white boys is fast" look on their faces. We white boys would walk off the track with a surprised - "damn, did we just beat North in sprints?" look on our faces.

Calcountry
08-31-2007, 07:23 PM
When God created football he instructed Jerry Jones to build Texas Stadium running North and South. Jerry complied at that time but ignored God when he told him not to hire Wade Phillips.And the evening and the morning, was the seventh day, God rested, and said that it was good.