PDA

View Full Version : Summer Movies

keg in kc
05-16-2001, 08:58 PM
Something I just posted on PigSkin Park got me thinking about summer movies, so I thought I'd try and spark a little conversation.

I saw The Mummy Returns last weekend, and thought that was a fun flick, much like the first one.

I'm looking forward to seeing Shrek this weekend, especially because it makes fun of Dicks-ney movies. I think Evolution comes out in the beginning of June, I think I might try to see that, unless I hear some really bad press about it.

Despite my utter hatred for satan-spawned movies (Disney...) I want to see Atlantis in a few weeks.

Then, there's a bunch of movies I want to see over the course of the rest of the summer, including: Tomb Raider, A.I., Scary movie 2, Kiss of the Dragon (Jet Li flick), Final Fantasy, Jurassic Park 3, Planet of the Apes, Rush Hour 2, American Pie 2, Ghosts of Mars (if it doesn't suck...), Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back.

And that's just through the end of August.

And then in December, I can't wait for The Fellowship of the Ring which has been the talk of Cannes this week (similar to Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon last year), and a movie I'm really, really looking forward to seeing.

Looks like a pretty good summer for movies, especially after a summer as bad as last year was...

Chiefs Pantalones
05-16-2001, 09:09 PM
Kyle,

Good topic,

I'm really looking forward to Pearl Harbor.

CG

thinks that'll be good

Chiefs Pantalones
05-16-2001, 09:11 PM
I also like your taste in movies.

Frazod
05-16-2001, 09:11 PM
Haven't seen anything since Hannibal. Holding out for Pearl Harbor - will see that opening day, without fail!

AJKCFAN
05-16-2001, 09:26 PM
Am I ready for Pearl Harbor?

Listening to the soundtrack as I type....

This will without fail, be the summer's best film.

Prepared to vandalize a sushi bar or two afterwards to shoe 'em we still remember!!! ;)

AJKCFAN
05-16-2001, 09:27 PM
show 'em, as well as shoe 'em...

Otter
05-16-2001, 09:34 PM
Keg,

I thought you were supposed to be working! :D

keg in kc
05-16-2001, 09:40 PM
Forgot about Pearl Harbor. I'll see it although I'm certain it will contain some pointless/meaningless romance in the middle to bore me to tears. That and the fact that the film will doubtless perpetuate the myth that the government didn't know the Japanese were coming...

Still, should be a film worth seeing, but I think Fellowship of the Ring will be the best movie of the year, bar none.

Otter, I'm supposed to be working, yes...

I am proud to say I've just finished day 3 of my workout plan. Day 1 was leg/ab workout and recumbent bike. Day 2 was arm/shoulder/ab workout. Today was an hour of lawn mowing in 90 degree heat (whee...) followed by a chest/ab workout and 30 minutes on the recumbent bike. In other words, I have a strict plan for the next month and I actually seem to be following it (this is a first!).

The writing I'm still fighting with, but working-out seems to be helping my motivation there, too. Things are beginning to shape up and I'm actually kind of proud of (and surpised by) myself. :)

California Injun
05-16-2001, 10:37 PM
keg in kc,

If you purchase a ticket ($8), soda/popcorn ($10) and a small box of Duds ($2) for each ocassion to the movies, coupled with your 13 movies, that equates to over $250.

Throw in the spouse with the obligatory dinner and you're approaching $600!!!

On the other hand, wait 3-4 months for home video release ($3), let same spouse cook dinner ($5), add a cup of coffee with something sweet ($2) and you've seen the same movies for under $150!!!

With the remaining $450 saved, you could attend 3-4 Chiefs home games (spouse optional) and get more bang for your buck.

Just thought some perspective was needed.....

keg in kc
05-16-2001, 10:40 PM
Injun, I probably will see majority of those movies on video. We'll probably go to 4-5 of them during the summer and catch the rest on HBO (I'm about to see The Patriot for the first time, as a matter of fact).

Movies are definitely prohibitively expensive. I'd see one every Friday if I could, but we don't generally go more than once every 6 weeks...

Chiefs Pantalones
05-16-2001, 10:42 PM
Good work, Cali,

CG

is easily impressed by math because I am a math retard

Otter
05-17-2001, 12:31 AM
Keg,

Good job! Its tough peeling one's self off the couch. I was fighting with myself today about that as a matter of fact.

The good guys won today.

Did you get the picture taken?

JOhn
05-17-2001, 01:05 AM
Not sure what to think of the new pearl movie.

Would like to see it, but I'm biased to the classic WW2 movies.

Tora, Tora, Tora!, Midway etc.

If it's half as good as those It will be ok. Thou I am lloking forward o seeing how the do the special effects.

DaWolf
05-17-2001, 01:53 AM
In order to save money, I use my old student card to get in at the student discount ($6) and then sometimes pull the old restroom-and-back-to-another-movie stunt.

Although I must say, it backfired on me the last time I tried it. I saw Castaway, then snuck into "Dude, Where's My Car?" That wound up being the first movie I that I walked out on for which I hadn't paid for...

keg in kc
05-17-2001, 02:14 AM
Otter -

Yep, took the pictures. Had Tracy take front, side and rear pics and they're now "gracing" my desktop as well as the wall in the workout room. Not pretty to look at, but effective.

Gaz
05-17-2001, 07:11 AM
I enjoyed The Mummy Returns quite a bit. It is a great summer movie. Easy on the plot, lots of eye candy, nice moments where each character gets to shine and keeps the action moving so you don't have time to wonder why some of the people are acting like this. Brendan Fraser and Rachel Weisz make a really fun couple. It was primo fluff, just as Charlie's Angels was perfect fluff last summer.

Mrs. Gaz is actually hotter to see Pearl Harbor than I am. She is a WWII nut.

We base our theater visits on whether a film needs a big screen or not. The Mummy Returns was a big screen movie and I am certain that Pearl Harbor is a big screen movie. They need the large canvas and teeth-rattling sound. Miss Congeniality and What Women Want did not require the big screen, so we waited for DVD and watched them at home.

I have been trying to talk Mrs. Gaz into A Knight's Tale. Yes, I know it is silly and historically flawed, but those lances slamming into an armored chest while Queen's "We Will Rock You" blasts from the speakers just demands a big screen.

xoxo~
Gaz
Frustrated movie critic.

HC_Chief
05-17-2001, 08:23 AM
<u>The Mummy Returns</u> was a fun, brainless action-adventure spoof; just like its predecessor. The CGI work was pretty damn weak though. The 'Scorpion King' at the end was laughable at best. You would think ILM would do a better job.

<u>Pearl Harbor</u> - where to begin? The movie is a Jerry Brukenheimer/Michael Bay work. This translates to: one dimensional, sappy, brain-dead CRAP. Armegeddon was total sh*t - the same dolts are doing this one. Basically, these guys are twisting the single most infamous of days in US history into a sappy love story with cardboard cutout characters. the war just happens to be a 'subplot' to add tension(not unlike that pice of dung <u>The Patriot</u>.) This movie is part of the mindnumbingly vapid, worthless, Pepsi-cola/MTV/Brittany Spears and Backstreet Boys popluar culture that I so hate. This movie plays to the lowest common denominator - and I for one, will not waste a single penny on it!

<u>Serendipity</u> - My fiance and I were lucky enough to see a test screening of this John Cusack/Kate Berkensale flick a week ago. It is slated for an August release. This movie will win you guys A LOT of points if you take your lady to see it!! Do not fear though, you will enjoy it. I tend to dislike 'romantic comedies' because of the inherent over-the-top sap value; this movie, however, is devoid of sap. It's genuinely funny, at the same time, sweet and romantic. Excellent date movie - I'd pay to see this one again.

Movies I am looking forward to: Spielberg's <u>AI</u>, <u>Jurassic Park III</u>, Tim Burton's <u>Planet of the Apes</u>, Rob Zombie's <u>House of 1000 Horrors</u>(I just love 'B-movie' gore/horror flicks in the manner of Romero, Savini and Raimi's works), Lucas' <u>Star Wars: Episode II</u>, <u>Harry Potter</u>, <u>Shrek</u>, and most of all: Peter Jackson's film adaptation of Tolkien's: <u>The Lord of The Rings: The Fellowship of The Ring</u> - my God, these LOTR movies will be phenominal.

ExtremeChief
05-17-2001, 09:55 AM
Anyone seen Driven yet??? The previews look good as far as adrenaline rush movies go.

It cost 5 bucks to watch a movie at our theatre...community run, bout 200 seats. The just put in a new screen and a new sound system is in the works. The sound now is one speaker behind the screen, so it definately needed some improvement, lol.

please don't flick your bic...

keg in kc
05-17-2001, 04:32 PM
HC, I have no choice by to take the (soon-to-be) mrs. to John Cusac movies. She loved High Fidelity and has seen every movie the dude's ever made. Thanks for the heads-up.

And yeah, the Scorpion King at the end looked bad. I've seen better effects in PC games. Still, glad we saw that one on the big screen.

You've pretty much picked the list of movies we'll see in the next year (throw in the next Star Trek film and Final Fantasy). I hated Harry Potter until I actually sat down and read the book... The rest of the films I mentioned we'll see later on in dollar theatres or on DVD.

HC_Chief
05-17-2001, 04:46 PM
keg - where are the dollar-movie theaters? I moved to Olathe last August - we have the bigass AMC30, there's the AMC20 in Leawood, and the theaters at the malls - I did not know there were dollar movie houses around here!

keg in kc
05-17-2001, 05:39 PM
I'm not sure there are any around here HC. Fiance and I will be going back east a couple of times this year (including x-mas), and we know several in Virginia. I'll do some looking here, though, I bet there's one hidden somewhere (I know I've seen some theaters with older releases, wonder what the ticket prices are there...).

Wrasse
05-17-2001, 06:42 PM
Tomb Raider *drool*

Final Fantasy...wait...is that...no...wait...oh it's just computer animation :) I can't wait for this puppy!

Lord of the Rings...I've been waiting for this my whole life :) hehe

*prays they don't screw up a very important movie*

Come on Jackson!

I did see a Knight's Tale...I didn't really want to but my ole mom wanted to go catch a flick on Mother's day and who am I to refuse. I have to admit that I really liked it...it's a fun flick...pretty much like Mummy 2 :)

California Injun
05-17-2001, 06:44 PM
Pearl Harbor is this years Titanic with wings. (although there will be more than one boat sinking in this flick).

Moviegoers can thank James Cameron for creating a love story amidst historical events.

I thought Titanic was a great movie given its originality with the screen play.

Wrasse
05-17-2001, 06:45 PM
BTW...Keg...did you all see Grosse Pointe Blank?

Great flick...got that one on DVD :)

How can you not like Cusack? :)

keg in kc
05-17-2001, 07:26 PM
Wra_sse, we have Grosse Point Blank on DVD too, and I can't count the number of times we've watched it. We have most (if not all) of Cusack's movies on either VHS or DVD.

He's not my favorite, but he's been in some good flicks, no doubt.

(I think my favorite DVD of all I own (not just Cusack) is probably The Usual Suspects. I just love that movie for some reason...

Wrasse
05-17-2001, 07:41 PM
The Usual Suspects is one of those movies you wish you could go back and watch for the first time again...love that movie. Also loved Seven...gotta love a little fun twist in the end and the cast for TUS was excellent!

Warrior5
05-17-2001, 07:48 PM
My compliments to your wife (I'm also a WW II nut). If any of you ever go to Hawaii, a visit to the Arizona Memorial is a <B>MUST</B>, especially if you have children.
Oops...getting off topic here.
Looking forward to the special effects in Pearl Harbor, but if it's like many of you say (sappy love story the main theme), I'll be <B>extremely</B> let down.

Frazod
05-17-2001, 08:34 PM
I read an article about Pearl Harbor in Newsweek - apparently, its a three hour plus movie, and the actual attack happens about an hour and a half into it. While that kind of annoys me, the good news is that apparently the attack sequence is half an hour long. I'm thinking it should be worth the wait.

Besides, I like Michael Bay's movies. Armageddon was a helluva lot better than Deep Impact, IMO.

hawaiianboy
05-17-2001, 09:44 PM
Hmph.... I had to endure months of those WW2 planes flying over my house (disturbing my dog)... having the smoke polute my air... the boats pollute the water...just so guys like you can pay to be entertained for 3 hours?...

hehe, it better be worth it... I think the filming creeped some old vets out a bit...

As Warrior5 stated, if you ever come here, the Arizona Memorial is a must... A chickenskin type experience that will make you feel the patriotism we all take for granted...

Stryker
05-18-2001, 07:18 AM
My wife called me at work this morning to inform me that she had just won a pair of tickets to go see...

http://us.ent3.yimg.com/movies.yahoo.com/images/hv/photo/movie_pix/touchstone_pictures/pearl_harbor/pearlharbor_poster3.jpg

Wednesday night!! :)

JQ:

I can sympathize with you on the filming of the movie. Hopefully it will be worth it.

HC_Chief
05-18-2001, 07:30 AM
I would not compare <u>Pearl Harbor</u> to <u>Titanic</u>. While both are huge in scale, Titanic was directed by a competent man: James Cameron.

A better comparison would be <u>The Patriot</u> (a movie that was so bad, it pissed me off)

Stryker
05-18-2001, 07:34 AM
HC:

I thought that The Patriot was bad too but, I did like the battle scenes. Thankfully I did not pay to go see it. I used a free rental from Block Buster. :)

HC_Chief
05-18-2001, 07:36 AM
And now you have free tix for PH. :)

I too would go to the theater to see it -if it were free (it would still probably piss me off)

Stryker
05-18-2001, 08:24 AM
HC:

It just seems like going to the movies is a GIANT crap shoot. I can honestly say that I do see a lot of movies but it is RARE that I walk out of a theater and say GOD that was great!!!

The last time I felt great about a movie I paid to go see was Saving Private Ryan and Titanic.

~skeptical movie buff! :cool:

HC_Chief
05-18-2001, 08:35 AM
I've seen three movies this year after which I exclaimed "damn, <i>that</i> was a great movie!": <u>Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon</u>, <u>Oh Brother, Where Art Thou?</u>, and <u>Snatch</u>. I highly recommend them :)

Stryker
05-18-2001, 08:42 AM
I forgot about Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon :eek:
That was good! I did not get a chance to see "Oh Brother, Where Art Thou" but after hearing the reviews from various BB members I will rent it when it comes out on DVD.

Wrasse
05-18-2001, 09:10 AM
"Oh Brother, Where Art Thou"

...now that's a good movie!

Also can't wait to buy Crouching Tiger when it's out on DVD...soon I think :)