PDA

View Full Version : A Chiefs article from the Canadian press?

DenverChief
09-01-2007, 08:11 AM
Posted 14 hours ago...didn't see anything here

NFL 2007: Herm Edwards takes a mix of young and old into his second year in KC

KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) For a team on a youth movement, there's a lot of grey stubble on the chins of the Kansas City Chiefs.

Second-year man Brodie Croyle failed to distinguish himself in the pre-season, so under centre will be 34-year-old Damon Huard, a starting quarterback for the first time in an 11-year career that once saw him go five straight seasons without throwing more than one regular-season pass.

Huard's No. 1 wide receiver will be Eddie Kennison, 34. His tight end, still going strong at 31, is eight-time Pro Bowler Tony Gonzalez.

When Gonzalez, Priest Holmes and now-departed Trent Green were piling up team records during the first half of this decade, they enjoyed the luxury of one of the league's great offensive lines. But for the first time since 1993 the Chiefs are without the retired Will Shields, maybe the finest guard in team history.

And now into his second year of retirement is deluxe left tackle Willie Roaf. Without them, signs point to a substantial decline as holdovers get older and newcomers fail to perform with any consistency.

Pro Bowl left guard Brian Waters, 30, shows no indication of slowing down. But the line as a whole struggled all summer, with 31-year-old guard John Welbourn, 34-year-old centre Casey Wiegmann, tackles Chris Terry, 32, and Kyle Turley, who'll be 32 on Sept. 24, and the injured Damion McIntosh, 30.

Still youthful, however, and coming off an NFL-record 416 carries for a team-record 1,789 yards is Larry Johnson, 27. When he returned from a 25-day holdout that produced the richest contract any Chiefs player ever pocketed, Johnson reassured his blockers that things were not as bad as they seemed with backups carrying the ball.

"I know how to react on certain plays to help the offensive linemen out," he said. "Obviously, those running backs haven't been back there long enough to know if this would have happened to make another move, and stuff like that. You've got to be able to adjust. You've got to be able to handle everything. And I'm used to doing that with this offensive line."

The defense is a mixture of old and new, and could be improved if cornerbacks Ty Law, 33, and Patrick Surtain, 31, recapture their former excellence at positions where 30-somethings are practically geriatric.

They had better stay healthy and produce because behind them in the Cover-Two defense will be two very young safeties, Bernard Pollard and Jarrad Page, big hitters in only their second year but showing signs of great promise.

The defensive line could be on the rise, especially if rookies Tank Tyler and Turk McBride can produce as part of the rotation. Ends Jared Allen, who'll sit out a two-game suspension at the beginning of the season, and Tamba Hali look active and disruptive, particularly Allen.

The biggest improvement should be at linebacker, where newcomer veterans Donnie Edwards, 34, and Napoleon Harris, 28, bring savvy and speed. From his middle linebacker position, Harris should be much better at filling the deep middle zone in the Cover-Two, something that was a problem last year.

With the tutoring of Harris and Edwards, the Chiefs are also hoping for a breakout season from third-year linebacker Derrick Johnson, who was instructed by coach Herm Edwards to shut up and listen every time his new teammates speak. The coach even ordered that Edwards locker be placed next to Johnson.

"We talk every day," said Johnson. "Donnie is a guy I need to listen to, I need to be around. He really knows the game. I'm learning a lot from him."

The special teams are almost entirely new, and a worry. There'll be a new deep snapper, a new kick returner and a new placekicker. Rookie Justin Medlock, a fifth-round draft pick, was handed the job without competition. But he's not been consistent in the pre-season, missing two makable field goals in one game. If Medlock gets off to a bad start, unemployed placekickers everywhere should stand by for a call from Kansas City.

Even though many won't be starting when the Chiefs launch their season Sept. 9 in Houston, a number of young players will wind up playing quite a bit. First-round pick Dwayne Bowe, a big, physical wide receiver, could break into the lineup before mid-season.

Herm Edwards insists the major overhaul of an aging lineup which he envisioned two years ago is unfolding on pace.

"I think it's headed in the right direction," said the former star cornerback, who got the Chiefs into the playoffs last year with a 9-7 record. "You have more veteran guys on offence than defense. But there are some backup players at certain positions who are going to get playing time."

BigMeatballDave
09-01-2007, 08:20 AM
Looks like Brodie will get a shot when he's 30...

DenverChief
09-01-2007, 08:24 AM
Looks like Brodie will get a shot when he's 30...

Is it just me or does this read like a BBC documentary with the british accent and all?

Stewie
09-01-2007, 08:25 AM
Those Canadians love mediocrity, too.

CanadianChief
09-01-2007, 09:53 AM
Those Canadians love mediocrity, too.

of course we do...why do you think I became a Chiefs fan in the first place.

Mr. Laz
09-01-2007, 10:09 AM
the youth movement is a myth .... merely an excuse for sucking.