PDA

View Full Version : NFT: ohmigod! (PC game screens...)

keg in kc
05-17-2001, 06:48 PM
Okay, I'm a big Star Wars fan, and I've posted a couple of times about the new MMO game, Galaxies, coming out in 2002. Well, today they released the first screenshots (http://swg.station.sony.com/media/screenshots.jsp), and I just about crapped my pants...:eek:

I'm going to go start writing like a maniac now, because I'm going to have to be able to afford a new computer in about a year.

I'm still in shock.

Here's one just to whet the appetite of anyone interested. These screenshots, I might add, have not been doctored in any way, shape or form according to the game developers, this is really the way the engine looks.

[edit: the jpg is too big to attach, so just follow the link above ("screenshots"). Truly amazing what they can do now...]

Hopefully this game won't kill my marriage.:D

jAZ
05-17-2001, 07:08 PM
Are the screen shots from the action part of the game, or from the animated "intro" that often accompanies games. If they can reproduce this quality image while actively participating in the game, that in quite impressive.

keg in kc
05-17-2001, 07:15 PM
Here's a post on the Galaxies website from the team's PR team about the screenshots that should answer that question:

I just wanted to give you a little more information about the screenshots.

The first six were taken at 1024x768 with a GeForce 3 using anti-aliasing and bump mapping. The last two were taken at 800x600 with a GeForce 2 without using either. Shadows appear in some of the screenshots and not in others because you can optionally turn them off for performance. All screenshots are in-game. We do not believe in doctoring our screenshots up at all. The only PhotoShop you will find is the watermark logos on them.

I want to make the point clear that the angles of the screenshots do not necessarily represent the game’s player perspective. We will address that in an upcoming Friday FAQ.

Also we wanted to bring your attention to the character models. Some people have questioned the value of concept art. We feel that the models fairly accurately reflect those concept art piece that you have seen.

We haven’t set our schedule in stone yet about when we are going to release more screenshots, but they should be coming soon. Just so you know, we released with ten shots on our site (some in multimedia section), three on Lucasarts.com and three on starwars.com. We’ve got a lot more to show you (such as the other character models). I hope this was enough to get your blood pumping.

So to answer that question as I understand it, yes the shots are ingame, but the angles are different from what the normal player's perspective will but that won't be fully explained until tomorrow (I assume that means the pics were 3rd person view and the game is 1st person, but they haven't announced that yet...).

Wrasse
05-17-2001, 07:30 PM
Another MMORPG fan who also follows the Chiefs...cool!

I'm beta testing a few right now (can't tell much about them because of an NDA I had to sign) but I can tell you this much...WAIT for the next batch of MMORPGs to hit the store shelves. The *next* wave is pretty much re-hashing the old stuff. Galaxies is using a skill based system which will make it very interesting and fun. I'm not one for levels and such....but hold out until this little gem and Horizons...those are the two I'm waiting for :) Also...did you see the Star Wars RTS (real-time strategy) being developed? It's using the Age of Empires II engine and is very cool...you can choose from 6 sides including the Wookies :) hehe I'm a BIG fan of the Age series and I'm looking forward to LucasArts making up for Force Commander (pathetic game).

Anywho...this game looks good and I'm really waiting for PlanetSide too (also made by Verant).

Now if they just manage to give the players a *reason* to play...an overall story. I'd also like to see how they plan on dealing with death and grief players or PvP :)

Take care!

Good to see there are others out there like me...

keg in kc
05-17-2001, 08:21 PM
Wra_sse, I've done some alpha/beta testing as well, so I understand that whole NDA thing...

As for Galaxies, I really think it's going to revolutionize MMOGs. I have a great deal of faith in the development team and they seem to be taking very good approaches to many player concerns. Just today they announced that space flight/combat in the game has been developed in an entire expansion designed to be released roughly 6 months after the initial game's release, and that they have some top people from past space flight-oriented working on it (their entire development staff is garnered from a variety of top people from various games, which is part of the reason I like it so much, it's not all internal sony/verant people, nor is it all lucas arts peopl). So, while on one hand I may not like paying for space flight in an expansion, I really like the fact that they've made it separate from the main engine of the game and are giving it its own time/development instead of cutting back on other areas of the game. Seems like win/win to me.

The strategy game you're talking about is Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds (http://www.lucasarts.com/e3/one/). I'm looking forward to that, as well, and just today Lucas Arts annouced the next chapter of the Dark Forces series, entitled Star Wars: Jedi Outcast (Jedi Knight 2) (http://www.lucasarts.com/e3/seven/) which also looks very, very interesting to me.

As for MMORPGS, I have been a fan in the past (played EQ for over a year) but I will say that I've avoided them like the plague for the last 13 months because they can simply be too absorbing, not to mention the monthly fee part. The idea is to get my writing finished, and to stay completely away from online gaming until I'm published.

Have to keep my priorities straight. ;)

I will be playing SWG though, I would wager. The only thing that worries me is that the expectations may get too high and there's no way they'll pull it off. It's over a year away (Fall 2002) and even though it's not being shown on the floor at E3, some people seeing Verant's presentation are calling it far and away the best game there.

Wrasse
05-17-2001, 08:38 PM
Just out of curiosity...what type of literature do you write?

:)

keg in kc
05-17-2001, 08:55 PM
Just out of curiosity...what type of literature do you write?

Well, that question usually gets one of two answers from me:

"None" or "Bad" :p

I'm currently working on a science-fiction (not hard SF, it's character-driven, not tech driven) novel that's barely in its infancy but seems to be taking on a life of its own (finally). I've considered writing some fantasy and have some ideas that I find interesting, but for the time being I'm focusing on the SF novel just to see how it goes (kind of living the dream if you get my drift). I'll probably stick to those genres at least for the time being because they're what I enjoy the most, although I do like some straight-up fiction as well. If successful I will continue writing full time as I am now, if not, well "not" is not an option I'm considering at this time. This is what I want to do so I have to succeed...

We'll see what happens.

Wrasse
05-17-2001, 09:25 PM
Very cool...gotta admire anybody a.) with the skills to write something with the scope of a novel and b.) with the courage to be creative and let the world take a gander. Most of my friends (including me) love fantasy but are much more likely to pick up a science fiction novel. I'm about to go on a little trip and plan on finishing up "Ender's Game" on the way :) ...may have time to read "Speaker for the Dead" too. I've also heard they are possibly making these books into movies...we'll see.

Good luck with all your writing...I'll buy a copy when your finished :)

kcfanintitanhell
05-17-2001, 09:36 PM
Keg- Best of luck in your writing-creativity, in any form, where possible commercial success can happen, is a sometimes lonely, frustrating, yethighly rewarding pursuit. Once you get farther into your novel, you should put up your own website (if you haven't already) and submit some teasers for us here at the BBS,

htismaqe
05-18-2001, 08:45 AM
You guys must be the only other ones around here...

I too have avoided MMORPGs, simply because my wife has problems with my addiction to Madden 2k1...

Hell, I played a pointless game like Blade of Darkness for 18 hours straight...

The last semi-RPG I played was Diablo II and I played that hardcore for a couple of months...

I'm waiting for Dungeon Siege now...

Dartgod
05-18-2001, 08:49 AM
What is MMORPG? I know RPG is Role Playing Game, but I'm lost on MMO...:confused:

htismaqe
05-18-2001, 08:52 AM
Massively Multiplayer Online RPG...

The kind that has a persistent, ongoing world (even when you're not there)...

JOhn
05-18-2001, 09:51 AM
The Bad thing about On-line gaming:

95% your playing against some punk 10y/o, who has no sense of gaming, only how can I use this hack to win.

I've been playing SC & BW for 4 years now, ONLY because I have found a group online that consistantly play togather. Everyone whom is 30+.

Otherwise I try to avoid on-line gaming, and stick to my Flight Sims, and WW2 sims

Wrasse
05-18-2001, 10:06 AM
I honestly hate what I like to refer to as Kewl Doodz...the players who get into an online RPG and create names such as "Kick Your A$$" or what-have-you. The gaming companies know that people have problems with others who are either a.) grief players (feed off of hurting others and ruining their experience) or b.) not even attempting to conform to the world in which they play (play with silly names or run around shouting obscenities). Some games are even trying to level out the playing field between the power-gamer and the casual gamer (I love MMORPGs but I don't want to feel like I HAVE to play :) ). Games such as HORIZONS are going to re-define the genre...also GALAXIES.

As far as other genres are concerned and the little kiddies out there...I absolutely LOVE going online and playing Tribes 2 and schooling them over and over again. I hop on with some of my more "mature" friends, we team up, coordinate our attack, and lay waste to their base :)

Also, there are programs like Punk-Busters that help to prevent people from using any hacks...but there will always be hacks in games. (Although I haven't seen many in MMORPGs)

You should also check out World War II online...it's a MMORPG where you get to fight out past conflicts, work up the military chain of command and command some great vehicles (all historically accurate).

All you base are belong to me :)

Take care!

JOhn
05-18-2001, 10:09 AM
I read an article a few months back about it, is it up and running?
If so were at?

Sounded pretty cool, thought it might be worth a look.

I know what you mean about ganging up on punk players, thats what we tend to do on SC & BW :D

Mark M
05-18-2001, 10:24 AM
Great screen shots. Makes my PSX look stupid.

The only game I've played online was on Sega's ... a friend has a DC and I came over and we played NFL2K1. What turned me off to on-line gaming forever was: 1) lack of sportsmanship; 2) lack of "real-life" football. The players on there would do onside kicks everytime, always go for 2 point conversion and threw deep every play (not one person we played agains called a running play). When I play a sports game I want realism, not that NFLBlitz bullsh!t. Just MO, I could be wrong.

Anyone see the press realease on Microsofts' X-Box. The graphics will be comparable to those screen shots. An 8 GB harddrive means no memory card needed. Release to be in November of this year. Should be around $299.

MM
~~Knows what he'll be asking Santa for for X-Mas.

Gaz
05-18-2001, 10:36 AM
I used to play the face-to-face RPGs [I played D&D back when it was a trio of cheap pamphlets], but never got into the computer RPGs or the MUSH style. I liked the more intimate social atmosphere of a Referee and a handful of folks over a table or sprawled on chairs. I preferred a plot of sorts [although more often than not, any preconceptions of the Referee were destroyed when the players were involved] and considered a PBEM once, but it was too much posturing and not enough story to suit my taste.

I have run across several websites touting RPGs that emphasize story over hackenslash, and I realize I was just born too soon.

xoxo~
Gaz
Ran out of folks with similar tastes.

htismaqe
05-18-2001, 10:38 AM
I made a living on Ebay as a bounty hunter for Diablo II on battle.net.

$5 per kill, check or money order only...

I took great joy taking out the $m0kah d00ds and hairy nuts the barbarian-types...

Made about $220 that way! :D

JOhn
05-18-2001, 10:41 AM
Gaz,
I too fondly remember the old D&D stuff. Used to play after school with some buddies. Also used to play one called TRAVELERS, was set in space, with the same type of game play.

To bad no one has yet to truely adapt them to Computer. I've seen the D&D comp games, and no thank you

JOhn
05-18-2001, 10:43 AM
htismaqe
Gotta either love or hate Bnet. Play a lot of BW on there, but recently found a new server(X-force). Better lags, and less kids :)

Mark M
05-18-2001, 10:49 AM
Man ... I guess we were (or still are) dorks. I used to play D&D occassionally, but enjoyed the Marvel Comics RPG. Only a 10-sided dice was needed. Then I found women ... and beer ... and weed. Combining all four was a great time!! Just had to find the right woman.

I played Magic a bit in college, although I never bought any cards. My wife thinks I was a dork but, now that I'm 30, I really don't give a hoot.

I think the Mrs. would enjoy an RPG. I might rent Final Fantasy or something this weekend and see what she thinks.

MM
~~Quite happy in his dorkdom.

htismaqe
05-18-2001, 10:53 AM
Don't know if I should admit this or not...

I have a 10' x 12' room lined with 7' shelves FULL of RPG books.

D&D, AD&D, Greyhawk, Dragonlance, Marvel, DC Heroes, GURPS, Vampire the Masquerade, Werewolf the Apocalypse, Deadlands, Warhammer, Warhammer 40k, Talislanta, Call of Cthulu, 100's of others, generics, and 2 or 3 rulesystems I wrote myself.

JOhn
05-18-2001, 10:54 AM
Mark,
You got the right Idea, Get her involved. My wife used to hate me playsing Broodwars all the time, then I got her to try it and the rest is history :D

Only problem was, I had to go buy a second comp so I could play.
Of course now I can play with her, or kick her butt. But must be carefull of the latter, as she has a long memory.

Stryker
05-18-2001, 11:51 AM
The key to those screen shots is 1024X768 with a GeForce 3. This is a $500 video card! :eek:

Lucas Arts has always had IMO, excellent graphics in their games. I thought "Shadows of the Empire" and "Rouge Sqadron" were among the best.

This game appears to be the best I've seen. The quality of "gameplay" is equal to "cut scenes" in most games!

Other greats (graphics) IMO, include:
Blade of Darkness
Soldier of Fortune
Delta Force: Land Warrior
Heavy Metal: Fakk 2
No One Lives Forever
Hitman: Code 47
Test Drive 5

Of course ALL must be ran in Hi Res (1600X1200) for the max effect

Stryker
~gamer for life!

Wrasse
05-18-2001, 11:58 AM
I am a huge real-time strategy nut...haven't played starcraft in a bit but I loved it...the only one I touch now is Age of Empires II (gotta love the units and history behind it). I can't wait for the new Dune RTS (Emperor: Battle for Dune), the Star Wars RTS and Age of Mythology :)

Ok...I've got a solution to some of your ills :) Well...actually the gaming companies do. Someone mentioned Dungeon Seige and I'd also like to bring up NeverWinter Nights. Essentially these games will let all us ole pen and paper RPGers do their *thing* again on the computer. Actually NWN is more suited for this but I've heard some great things about DS that will allow you to do the same thing. You can create "modules" (or whatever they call them) and then invite your friends to dial-up on your computer and play along while you DM the game. I too played D&D when it was just a little blue paperback manual and I miss the days of letting your friend use his imagination and a good story to make for a great evening of gameplay. I think these games will help keep me sane by 1.) providing me with my RPG fix, 2.) Sheltering me from the retards out there who ruin games, 3.) letting me have fun being a DM again and creating my own areas, and 4.) not making me feel like I have to play all the time...no persistent world.

NWN is a title I've been following for a long time...it's based on the AD&D 3rd edition rules set and I think with Bioware (Baldur's Gate fame) developing it, we're gonna be in for a treat. Dungeon Seige comes out a lot earlier so I'll be picking it up too! I just love the RPGs where you can invite a few friends to hop on your computer and adventure together...it's be much more fun when you can control the baddies :)

Also...if you're curious about WWII online, I'd go over to gamespot (www.gamespot.com) and check out their E3 coverage. They've got some new info on the game and a movie or two :)

Take care!

Wrasse
05-18-2001, 12:03 PM
Don't tell anyone but I've got a Protoss figurine above my desk at work...gotta love Blizzard and the toys they give ya.

Now if they could just get WarCraft III out the door soon :)

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
05-18-2001, 12:08 PM
Defintely going to age myself here ;), but I've been RPGing since 1979. I consider myself a bit of a gaming affecianado....

I've played or am still playing: (* = still currently playing either PBEM or FTF)

Dungeons and Dragons *
Battletech *
Tunnels and Trolls
Chivalry and Sorcerey
DragonQuest
Middle Earth Role Playing
ICE
Shadowquest
Werewolf the Apocolypse
Traveller
James Bond 007 RPG
Star Trek RPG
Other Suns
The Morrow Project
Gamma World
Melee/Wizard
Ogre/GEV
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and other Strangeness
Champions
Villians and Vigalantes
Marvel Super Heroes
Twilight 2000
Empire of the Petal Throne
7th Sea
Furry Pirates
IronClaw
Tenchi Muyo RPG
Warhammer Fantasy (Miniature Wargaming, but it's close)

(Is certain he's forgetting something..... ;))

OK, so I have geekish tendencies... I also like Anime/Manga and Comics. If that didn't tip you off nothing will ;)

Gaz
05-18-2001, 12:49 PM
2 or 3 rulesystems I wrote myself

I expect that anyone who played for any amount of time did that. We started nitpicking D&D almost immediately. A high-level character could step off a cliff and emerge relatively unscathed. Then we tried several more "realistic" systems, up to the instant-by-instant photo-realism of Runequest [skill, luck, location of impact, type of armor, more luck, random influence, WHEW!]. Sure, you knew exactly what was happening at any instant, but a simple fight could take hours.

The "homegrown" stuff came out pretty quickly. As we played, we simplified the combat system more and more and the plots designed by the Referees received more depth.

Eventually, we settled on a homegrown system that was remarkably similar to FUDGE. We could play without dice if we wanted [although there were always those like my son who loved tumbling the ivories].

I miss playing a lot, but computer versions just don't satisfy me.

xoxo~
Gaz
Obsolete before his time.

DaWolf
05-18-2001, 04:42 PM
BTW, for Star Wars fans and fans of the Jedi Knight game, looks like Jedi Knight II is going to be a reality:

"BIG NEWS! LucasArts has announced "Star Wars, Jedi Outcase, Jedi Knight II". It's being developed with Raven Software on a modified Quake III engine. It's expected to be released next Spring."

keg in kc
05-18-2001, 07:02 PM
Stryker, 2 of those shots were with a GeForce 2 on lower resolution and they still looked good...

DaWolf, I have a link for Jedi Knight 2 on post #6 on this thread if you want to take a look. No pics yet, or anything, but some official stuff about it from LAE.

keg in kc
05-18-2001, 07:18 PM
Just stumbled on this - has some very good info on SW:Galaxies as it was seen at E3:

http://www.gamespy.com/e3/starwarsgalaxies/index.shtm

Stryker
05-18-2001, 09:10 PM
Keg:

Don't get me wrong. I do agree that the images look GREAT, I'm just stating that a $500 card as well as a $275 card (GeForce 2) makes a hell of a lot of difference.

This also reminds me, I forgot to mention earlier in my post "Jedi Knight" along with "Shadows of the Empire" and "Rouge Sqadron" in regards to Lucas Arts graphics.

Developers have the LUXURY of having the "BEST" PC's to do their handy work.

~Lucas Arts - spares no expense! ;)

DaWolf
05-19-2001, 12:15 AM
Oops! So you do Keg! I missed it the first time around. Damn multi page topics! :)

Good stuff though...

Rausch
05-19-2001, 05:16 AM
Most people, becuase they don't own MAC's, don't know that it acutally IS one of the best gaming platforms...Mac games usually come out about 4-7 months AFTER PC games, but by then all the bugs are worked out AND special features and levels are usually added....The Mac is once again an amazing and inspirational machine...

UNFORTUNATELY Jeff Goldbloom is our spokesperson...that's like Jeff(I've got some bad mojo goin' on) George qb'ing your team....