PDA

View Full Version : Metal fans, a band worth checking out - Meldrum

Nightwish
09-04-2007, 03:49 AM
If you haven't heard this band yet, take a listen. They are named for their guitarist (former Phantom Blue guitarist, and protege of Paul Gilbert) Michelle Meldrum. They're all female, except the drummer (there's no permanent drummer at the moment, but the duties are being filled by SYL's Gene Hoglan for the time being).

I first became familiar with Michelle Meldrum when she was playing in Phantom Blue, an all-girl hair band in the late 80s that garnered quite a reputation for being an uber-talented answer to Vixen. Michelle Meldrum and co-guitarist Nicole Couch were both proteges of Paul Gilbert and Marty Friedman, and were known for being near virtuosos. She doesn't show off nearly as much in Meldrum, which is a lot heavier (think a cross between Pantera, Concrete Blonde and Zakk Wylde) than her old PB material, but she still cuts loose from time to time, and you can tell she hasn't lost one bit of talent. Check 'em out!

Unfortunately, I've only been able to find one video from them on YouTube, and she doesn't showcase her abilities much at all in it, it's just a straightforward metal headbanger, but it's still a decent listen. They've got a new album out called "Blowin' Up the Machine." If you've got Rhapsody or iTunes, download it now!

Official website (http://www.meldrum.nu/)

YouTube video for "Purge" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEG6LVbgI7U)

Bowser
09-04-2007, 11:23 AM
I like the sound, but it seems the vocals are being "forced". I guess that goes with the territory of the sound they're going for. Maybe I'm just involuntarily comparing them to Kittie, I don't know.

And the lead singer looks like she would shank her father.

Braincase
09-05-2007, 11:33 AM
I like the sound, but it seems the vocals are being "forced". I guess that goes with the territory of the sound they're going for. Maybe I'm just involuntarily comparing them to Kittie, I don't know.

And the lead singer looks like she would shank her father.

She looks like she was drawn by Frank Frazetta.