PDA

View Full Version : Interesting tidbit for the salary cap interested...

DaWolf
05-18-2001, 04:00 PM
According to Mr. Dawes:

The Chiefs probably will handle the bulk of their cap trimming by restructuring," wrote the Star's Adam Teicher back in February. In truth, the Chiefs have trimmed their cap by waiving players and may waive even more after June 1st. Only three players on the current roster have had their contracts restructured, according to NFL Management Council documents, and two others had their salaries reduced.

That's good in 2 regards: A) If we want to pick up a player, we have not maxed out on the guys we can approach to restructure to help the team, so we probably have wiggle room. And B) In keeping the number of restructured contracts down, we avoid pushing the cap problems into next year by cutting current salary and making up for it in future years, i.e. the Jags, who are apparently going to be hurting again next year...

bigdaddychieffan
05-18-2001, 04:04 PM
I'm pretty non-cap savvy. But that certainly sounds good to me. I have been wondering how Denver is able to keep under the cap with all of the players that they seem to be able to sign and at high prices. Maybe we just sign mediocre people to higher salaries than they deserve. Oh well. Still think that Bowlen is in bed with Tagliaboo.

Cormac
05-18-2001, 07:37 PM
That's good news. I had been wondering how we were set up for the future - cap-wise. At least it seems as though our major cap hit is confined to this year, and that we won't run up on a problem like that for another while. Considering all this, we have really made a lot of additions to the team while dealing with a $30m cap problem. Bodes well.....

KCPHILLY
05-19-2001, 01:31 PM
If I remember correctly, EDWARDS restructured, which is fine. DAN WILLIAMS also restructured [for the 3rd straight year?]. This is not good because I think he will be cut after this season if his health problems don't improve which sets us up for a sizeable cap hit. Unless he was one of those who took a pay cut.

Does anyone know who was the other player to restructure [maybe patton?] or who the 2 players who took pay cuts were? I'm hoping it was WILLIAMS and GRAY.

keg in kc
05-19-2001, 06:14 PM
Carlton Gray restructured.

The Bad Guy
05-19-2001, 06:29 PM
Derrick Alexander was the third to restructure.

Carlton Gray, from my knowledge, never restructured.

That is why he is a prime June 1st candidate to be released.

keg in kc
05-19-2001, 06:35 PM
You are correct, DA did restructure. My mistake. Carlton Gray took a paycut (I don't remember the exact #s and I don't have time to look it up right now).

Mr. Kotter
05-19-2001, 07:13 PM
Hmmm, it does seem to leave some room to address one of our possible "needs".

Personally, I go after a CB first; then maybe a DT. Several of the available players till out there, and still to come June 1, would be upgrades from our current personnel.

Have Ronde or Rolle signed yet? Then there is this possibility of Terry Glenn. Heck, if we can afford it....why not??

milkman
05-19-2001, 08:30 PM
Now can you explain to me how a player takes a paycut, unles he restructures?
The only other way is for that player to already have a paycut written into his original contract, in which case it shouldn't be newsworthy when the paycut kicks in.

keg in kc
05-19-2001, 08:42 PM
From kffl, March 1st:

Chiefs | Gray Takes Pay Cut- posted at KFFL (nfl.kffl.com)
18:36 ET: ESPN's John Clayton reports the Kansas City Chiefs have reworked the contract of CB Carlton Gray to reduce his salary. He's expected to now remain with the team.

This was the day before the team had to be under the cap, and the same day that Elvis stated he wanted to be a free agent, Hasty and Chester the Digester were cut, and a couple of other important players (Shields, Clemons) were re-signed, so folks might have missed it.

I don't see why it couldn't be called a restructure...

Steve Martin and Marvcus Patton also restructured around this time, so that comment about only 3 players restructuring is clearly not correct.

milkman
05-19-2001, 08:54 PM
Kyle,
My point exactly.

Pitt Gorilla
05-20-2001, 01:29 AM
In a restructure, the original dollar amount of the contract is kept intact. However, part of the base salaries are converted to signing bonus to be spread out over the length of the contract.
A paycut is completely different.

milkman
05-20-2001, 01:32 AM
Sounds like semantics to me.
In both cases, the contract has to be reworked, and both the player and management have to sign a new contract.

KCPHILLY
05-21-2001, 08:53 PM
In a literal sense you're correct. I believe the jist of the column was about the cap situation in reference to monies pushed to future years. When CARL slashes a guys pay it's take it or "see ya". No monies pushed to future years. Much like the way he handled the RISON situation last year [and still kicked him to the curb june 1]. Hopefully that's the direction we take with GRAY.;)

In a restructure, along with the signing bonus, often additional monies over and above the original contract are added as incentive to restructure the current salary to the minimum pushing more money to the future adding additional strain to the health of the cap.

DaWolf
05-22-2001, 11:41 AM
Keg,
That's assuming Clayton and the gang have impeccable "sources" of course...

keg in kc
05-22-2001, 07:28 PM
Wolf, I could be mistaken, but I'm pretty certain that I read a snippet about these moves on the Chiefs site, as well. I just can't find it now...

I believe that Carlton Gray's base salary number changed on NFLPA.org about three days after this was announced. As I recall it was a million or more but it dropped to 500K. I have no way to confirm that, either, however, since the site lists current numbers and doesn't have a history, leaving me only with my suspect memory... ;)