PDA

View Full Version : Lakers beat SA...again!!!!

Chiefs Pantalones
05-21-2001, 09:24 PM
This series is over. I see LA gettin the broom out for this one. We've seen the best SA has to offer tonight, and that wasn't enough!

CG

asking SA who their daddy is:D

Chiefs Pantalones
05-21-2001, 09:26 PM
Oh, and the officiating sucked rather bad! And I'm not being biased, even when the Lakers obviously committed a foul, they didn't even call it and vice versa.

CG

oh well, my Lakers got the win!

say it with me...ssssssswwwwwwweeeeeeeeppppppp

BIG_DADDY
05-21-2001, 09:45 PM
Cody,

You always beat me to the post you clown. The Lakers played like crap in the first half. Kobe definitely imposed his will on the game again in the end. It should be fun watching this kid play for the next 15 years. To me that is more exciting than anything. I do not believe that the Spurs received the bad end of the whistle in this one. I think that Shaq once again got fouled HARD consistently with no call. However they let him get by with little. I also think that it is way to early to call for a sweep against this talented team however that is exactly what I would like to see. I have to admit that it is hard not to feel like they are in complete control right now, I just hope they are not thinking like that. What happened with Phil Jackson? I wen to the can and he was out of there?

Rick Stephens
05-21-2001, 09:49 PM
Was just watching the L.A. newscast after the game. L.A.P.D. will have 4,000 police officers outside the Staples Center to stop any rioting if the Lakers do win.

The NBA does need to do something about the officials they were terrible.

BIG_DADDY
05-21-2001, 09:56 PM
Rick,

The officiating was really bad. That is what I love about racing, no officials. I just came back from the motocross national championships at Hangtown, it was awesome. Couldn't help but love the fact that you knew nobody would play a part in deciding who won except those who were riding.

Chiefs Pantalones
05-21-2001, 10:01 PM
Big Daddy,

The officials said that Phil was on the floor, but he was clearly not. They showed the replay of the previous play and I had my on Phil and he was talking to the official, but he was not on the floor. Those officials really stunk up the joint big time, the NBA should really review this game, that was as bad as I've seen them in awhile.

They did play poorly in the first half, I felt Shaq should have been more physical in the first half and in the second half. If he would have played more physical in the first half and if Kobe were to keep his stride, then the Lakers would have won easily and not have been down by 8 or 9 points. I feel that if the Lakers are going to continue success against SA (WNBA team:D ) then Shaq has to be more physical and take it to the house and not settle for little Js outside his range.

CG

still thinks the officials were from Texas:)

Rick Stephens
05-21-2001, 10:03 PM
Big Daddy,

I have spent a lot of my life involved in auto racing. I stated out pitting for a sprint car team in Kansas City. After moving to California it was a crew member of a Trans-Am team for 15 years. I also have been to Daytona for the 500 and Talladega twice, I do agree in that racing is decided on the track and not by some officials.

DaWolf
05-21-2001, 10:06 PM
This series is over? Hell, the PLAYOFFS have been over since day 1.

Still laughing at all those people who laughed at me when I said Lakers were still favorites to win it all at the all star break... :D

Chiefs Pantalones
05-21-2001, 10:06 PM
I feel that Kobe is definately coming into his own, he is the best one on one player in the game, but when it comes to domination, Shaq gets the nod there, in my opinion.

CG

feels that unless money gets involved, we could see a dynasty if players are kept intact and if LA keeps adding more talent

DaWolf
05-21-2001, 10:10 PM
Just another reason Mike should stay retired. We don't need him pulling a Mays in New York impression and see his legacy tarnished by remembering him getting lit up by Kobe and playing on a team without an answer for Shaq...

Chiefs Pantalones
05-21-2001, 10:22 PM
I agree, DaWolf. Jordan is my favorite player of all time, and I want the last vision of him being him hitting the last second shot to win his last (6th) Championship, not one where he goes out with out nothing. His legacy tarnished if he were to come back? I think so. But the guy is so darn competetive and loves challenges that he wants to see what he can/could do against these young pups. I would support him if he were to come back, but I'd be kind of mad though. Its like having an autographed football of Joe Montana, but then going out and playing catch with it. You just don't do that, in my opinion.

CG

thinks MJ should stay on the golf course, where his legacy will not be disturbed

California Injun
05-21-2001, 10:42 PM
Rick and Big Daddy,

Just because there are no zebras on the tracks doesn't mean auto racing is devoid of slanted calls.

Just look at how many great drivers get saddled with crappy rides and vice-versa. Look at where Jeff Gordon is now that his team leader left to start out his own company.

You had the Penske teams kicking complete *** in the 80s with the others fighting for scraps. The only thing that levels the field is these restrictor plates and wrecks.

And don't even start with the Formula One series...

Chiefs Pantalones
05-21-2001, 10:42 PM
Do everyone agree with my post, that MJ should stay retired?

The Bad Guy
05-21-2001, 10:50 PM
Jordan is trying to defy the odds once again, only problem he is 38, and overweight.

I applaud the fact that the challenge might bring him out of retirement, but he should look around the NBA and realize that the Kobe Bryants, Vince Carters, Shaquille Oneals, Tim Duncans and Allen Iversons now run this league.

Jordan has nothing absolutely nothing to prove. And if he comes back, I think he would get exploited like the older players in this league that tried to stick around to long like Ewing, and Olajuwon.

Look at Magic Johnsons comeback back in 1994. It was a joke.

I expect the younger players to be hungrier to take it to Jordan and it could ruin the once great legacy he created.

I think Michael Jordan is the greatest player to play the game, but my opinion could change if I see him get punked by Iverson, Kobe or Vince.

On a side note, YEAH LA.

My brother is a diehard Spurs fan, and this Laker win was as sweet as I have ever seen.

Derek Fisher, to me, is the real MVP of this series. He had the dagger to throw into the Spurs whenever a big shot was needed.

Onto games 3 and 4 in Staples Center, then the Lakers can finally shut up all those Spurs fans who believe that they were better in 2000, but because of injuries to Tim Duncan, didn't win a title.

California Injun
05-21-2001, 10:50 PM
It's over for the Spurs and whomever claws their way out of the East. I started my signature with the "Lakers in 6 over the Sixers" but that will have to be changed.

I want the Sixers to make it as a co-worker is a huge Philly fan and he knows a Clipper contact that could score us some possible seats for the Finals.

This is one year I am glad the Lakers don't have home court with that sorry 2-3-2 format they use.

This way, the Lakers will clinch it on their home floor.

Robinson is a Chris Webber clone with his preference to stay outside.

Duncan had that look of "What the hell else do I have to do?"

What ever happened to that 44% 3 point shooting the Spurs were bragging about?

Avery, Ferry, Elliot..... grow some nads!!!!

Daniels was a trooper tonight but just got worm out.

Popovich SCREWED UP by not giving him a rest when the Spurs were up by 13-15 in the 2nd quarter.

My only fear is not to see a repeat of the 1989 run when Byron Scott then Magic pulled up lame after going 11-0 to get to the Finals.

This is the only way the Lakers do not repeat.

Chiefs Pantalones
05-21-2001, 10:59 PM
Speaking of the young players, and I might be speaking too soon here, but, IMO, Vince Carter is like Elvis Grbac, but plays in the NBA. Vince has all the talent, but doesn't want the ball. Like Barkley said, "if you were to put Iverson's heart and brain in Vince's body, you have a great player." Vince is too passive. He plays (sometimes) with no emotion and no heart; like a robot, IMO.

CG

thinks (so far) Vince is overrated

Rick Stephens
05-21-2001, 11:00 PM
California Injun,

Look where Jeff Gordon is now! He just won the Wiston after starting dead last and only is only 46 points out of the points lead. The good drivers get the good rides and the not so good drivers get the lesser rides. Jeff Gordon may just win his 4th Winston Cup Championship this season. He did not have a great season last year after Yates hired all his crew but he is having a good year this year. Also it was a backup car he won the Winston with not his primary car that he wrecked.

Restrictor plates are used only at Daytona and Talladega.

Chiefs Pantalones
05-21-2001, 11:19 PM
Now, this is just for giggles, don't flame me for this, but I heard Jim Rome (I hate the guy, but this is funny) one time say that whoever wins a race in NASCAR gets a case of beer and a free membership to the KKK.

CG

remember, I didn't say that, it was Rome, so flame him not me

KCPHILLY
05-21-2001, 11:22 PM
Obviously I'm totally outnumbered here. And with the injuries PHILLY is dealing with I don't really think they have much of a chance this year. But as a homer I'll support my team until the end.

What I'm really disappointed with and don't quite understand is why the WC finals started so early. Someone explain to me the fairness in the WC having played 2 games before the EC finals even start?:confused:

DaWolf
05-21-2001, 11:23 PM
C'mon Cody, Rome kicks ***!

His "NeckCar" takes are hilarious. To me, at least...

DaWolf
05-21-2001, 11:28 PM
KCPHILLY,
There is no fairness in the NBA. It's all about TV. since we had two game 7's in the Eastern Conference, they had to stretch those series out for weekend coverage. Meanwhile, in the Western Conference, the two finalists had fairly quick semifinal matchups, so you couldn't give them too long of a layoff, so they start the games ASAP to maximize viewers on viewer friendly nights. Of course, to be fair, the Eastern Conference will be all caught up by the time Friday rolls around...

Chiefs Pantalones
05-21-2001, 11:29 PM
DaWolf,

I think they're funny too! I'll admit that he is pretty good, why else would I listen to him?

Just like they say, "if you're getting critisized for your work (journalism), you're doing something right, that means their reading your articles." Or in Romes case, "listening."

CG

gives Rome some credit

Rick Stephens
05-21-2001, 11:31 PM
Cody,

Jim Rome wouldn't know a carburerator from a brake rotor!! If Jim Rome ever did anything close to what Dale Earnhardt did for people it would put him in the poor house forever. Dale Earnhardt did a lot of things for a lot of people. He bought tons of seed for farmers during a drought. While driving past a church they were having a fund raiser. Dale stopped and ask the preacher what they were raising the money for. He was told they wanted to raise money to repave the parking lot, Dale said how much do you need, and the preacher to him $10,000. Dale went to his truck got out his checkbook and wrote them a check. He told the preacher not to tell anyone or he would come back and tear up the lot. The Nascar drivers do a lot for a lot of people.

Chiefs Pantalones
05-21-2001, 11:36 PM
That was a nice thing to do, Rick.

How much do NASCAR drivers make? Sorry, I don't follow it, but I'm just curious?

DaWolf
05-21-2001, 11:42 PM
Ahh, but Rick, there's a fine line between making fun of the individuals vs making fun of the overall "sport". There are many drivers who do good things, and I'm sure there are many bastards too. Some people "get it" and respect it, others don't "get it" and dis it. I am one of those who does not get the fascination of NASCAR, I try not to dis it, but I find Rome's takes on the sport funny, because frankly I'm not passionate about it. Now I don't listen to Rome religiously, but I do believe he does draw the line between poking fun at the sport and the stereotypical fan, vs disrespecting guys like Earnhardt...

KCPHILLY
05-21-2001, 11:53 PM
Of course, to be fair, the Eastern Conference will be all caught up by the time Friday rolls around...

Are you being sarcastic or do you think the EC playing doubletime to catch up is fair?

Obviously the network dollar is huge but I think it's really sad we allow them to have that much control.

Rick Stephens
05-21-2001, 11:56 PM
Cody,

Dale Earnhardt sold over $40 million dollars in merchandise last year alone. He was listed in the top 100 in Forbes listing and also had a seat on the New York Stock Exchange.

Not too bad for a guy without a highschool education.

He also co-owned a minor league baseball team the Kannapolis Intimidators and had Dale Earnhardt Chevrolet and owned three race teams and a 200,000 sq. ft.race shop. He had two houses and was having another built in Florida plus his airplanes and yachts. He also had his farm where he is buried. I don't think Jim Rome will ever come close to this.

DaWolf
05-22-2001, 12:28 AM
KCPHILLY,
No, I'm just saying that when you go 7 games, you're just going to have to do some catching up. That's just the way it is with these TV schedules. Sure, it is sad that they have so much control, but frankly, that's the major source of the league's income, and thus the players' income, so they have to deal with it...

The Bad Guy
05-22-2001, 01:01 AM
KCPhilly,

Give me a break with this conspiracy garbage.

If the east wanted a rest, one team should have taken over a series like teams did in the west.

NBC would have had Sunday games on regardless if the 76ers/Raptors or Bucks/Hornets went 7 games. The eastern conference championship series would have started on that Sunday if both series ended as shortly as the Spurs and Lakers series did.

I wouldn't consider it doubletime to play two games in 3 days. The Lakers and Spurs just did it this weekend.

If you want rest, the East should close out teams the way the West did.

Teams that can sweep opponents or convincingly win should be rewarded with rest.

BIG_DADDY
05-22-2001, 09:33 AM
Scoop,

Got to agree with that. The reward for sweeping is rest. You shouldn't be punished by having to take off 1 1/2 weeks off and get rusty.

milkman
05-23-2001, 06:11 AM
Game 2 of this series wasn't a basketball game. It was a mutual mugging. I'm not going to complain about the officiating, because they were consistent in that they allowed both teams to beat each other up on both ends of the court. I do have one question, however. How is the foul Danny Ferry committed when Kobe is ahead of the pack on his way to an uncontested dunk, Ferry trailing, wrapping Kobe up from behind, with no attempt to go after the ball, not a clear path foul?

As for Jim Rome, he actually does have a lot of respect for some of the indivuals that drive, he just doesn't have any respect for "The left turn circuit."
He will often tell you that Nascar drivers are among the best citizens among professional athletes.

California Injun
05-23-2001, 02:07 PM
milkman,

Want to know irony?

Why does Jackson get tossed in this game?

KCPhilly,

Why are the Lakers/Spurs playing 2 games in 3 days and then having to wait 4 days to play again?

I cannot wait until Mutumbo gets that spindly body of his broken in two by Shaq. The man is the clumsiest centers in the league.

The Sixers will get throttled as they have NOBODY outside of Iverson. McKie will have to help out with Shaq and where has Eric Snow's game gone?

No shame in getting swept by this Lakers train.

KCPHILLY
05-23-2001, 07:30 PM
Give me a break with this conspiracy garbage.

Conspiracy? Who's said anything about a conspiracy? I'm talking about the FACT that the networks control the schedule to maximize the profits with no reguards to the teams involved. That's not a theory, it's FACT. When the playoffs started they had a schedule and it's only right they should stick to it. Teams that sweep their series should be rewarded with a rest... BETWEEN series.

If the east wanted a rest, one team should have taken over a series like teams did in the west.

Sorry, but your wrong. What if one team swept and the other went 7 games? You have just penalized the team who swept by starting the WC series early. You can't see that? For the sake of argument, let's say both the SIXERS and the LAKERS sweep their respective series. The LAKERS will have done it in 9 days while the SIXERS will have to do it in 7 days and on top of that, the LAKERS get an ADDITIONAL day of rest before the finals start... Advantage LAKERS.

KCPHILLY
05-23-2001, 07:39 PM
Why are the Lakers/Spurs playing 2 games in 3 days and then having to wait 4 days to play again?

Again, to maximize the network dollar. They started the series on Saturday [prime veiwing], throw in 1 game during the week and hit the next prime viewing spot on Fri.

where has Eric Snow's game gone?

Pulled from the starting lineup due to injury [high ankle sprain?] and is playing at about 70%.

Chiefs Pantalones
05-23-2001, 07:43 PM
I didn't say anything?

CG

thinks theres a little confusion

KCPHILLY
05-23-2001, 07:48 PM
That was for the Injun.

Chiefs Pantalones
05-23-2001, 07:57 PM
No prob, KCPHILLY.