PDA

View Full Version : Girlbac Winning Over His New Receivers..

The Bad Guy
05-22-2001, 02:22 AM
Here is the link to a story about SmElvis winning over the confidence of his receivers. I hope they remember what they are saying when he has one of his 4th quarter mental breakdowns...

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/football/bal-elvis21.story?coll=bal%2Dsports%2Dheadlines

Heres a quote I found amusing...

"From Day One, I know I've harped on trust, anticipation and touch with Tony Banks and even for the most part trying that with Trent Dilfer," receiver Qadry Ismail said. "But you don't have to say anything now. With Elvis, it's just there.

"What I think as a receiving corps are loving about Elvis is he has a little bit of Tony, Trent, Stoney [Case] and Scott [Mitchell]. What each of them did well, he does them very well. He's not limited."

Yeah Qadry, he has the decision making of Tony Banks, The weird name like Stoney Case, the build and looks of Scott Mitchell and the accuracy of Dilfer.

This article is worth a look if your bored.

DaWolf
05-22-2001, 02:39 AM
"Whereas Elvis is at a point that he throws what he needs to throw. Every one of them is the same. He just throws a very catchable ball. That's all you can ask for as a receiver."

Not a critisism from me, but this quote made me think back to some of the arguments that the Grbashers liked to use, one of which was that when Elvis is under pressure, he floats his passes and leaves the recievers vulnerable to big hits, and they pointed out one play which I remember talking about, with DA breaking open on an out pattern and Elvis throwing the ball high, DA couldn't come up with it and the defender hits him in the ribs, so DA gets up and throws, as the Grbasher says, his hands up in disgust. Now that was only one play, but if you ask a Grbasher, Elvis' throws were never on the mark, and of course if a reciever dropped it, it was because the throw wasn't perfect. :)

It's not surprising though the praise he's recieving. Elvis always did reportedly look outstanding on the practice field while he was here. He's got the physical tools. The only question with him was the leadership and the 4th quarter thing. Frankly, I think if he learned anything during his time here, he'll succeed in BMore. If not, well then same old story. It's up to Elvis...

47mack
05-22-2001, 05:25 AM
If he has a little bit of Tony in him, he is worse than I originally thought.

58Forever
05-22-2001, 11:51 AM
Wasn't it every year for the past 4 years I've read all the rave reviews about Grbastard as he plodded his way through the minicamps and TC?...all the coaches, receivers, media and even fans raved about how good he looked....

Then the season comes along and he starts doing stupid things...I loved the guy...I was a Grbacker through and through but even I had a hard time dealing with some of his stupid decisions...

He had a great year last year...but he still made a lot of stupid mistakes...late in the season as well as early...see NE game....

The Ravens will find out...in due time...and Elvis will be looking for a job in a couple of years...no SB for Baltimore this year...::p

BigMeatballDave
05-22-2001, 12:00 PM
If the Ravens have a defense anything like last seasons, they will repeat. Elvis is a better QB than Dilfer so their offense will only improve.

58Forever
05-22-2001, 01:17 PM
K30,

I don't think the Ravens D will be as good this year. Don't get me wrong it will still be very good, just not like last year...and EG is better then Dilfer, but he does not gaurantee a SB appearance yet alone a win....

Afterall, he'll be on the sideline with a broken clavicle after the second pre-season game...no that's too easy, I'd rather see him start every game and fail miseralby.

Bitter, still, you bet. I like Trent Green 10 times better then Elvis but I am still fuming over the way he left...the Grbaking Mother Grbaking, Son of a Grbak...Grbakhole...:(

Lzen
05-22-2001, 01:22 PM
Frankly Frank,
I'm disappointed in you. I really liked reading your articles when NFLScoop was around. But, those comments about EG were just plain bashing, nothing more.:( I realize that bashing EG is the "thing to do" now that he went to Baltimore. However, let's try and be realistic and give credit where credit is due. The guy was in a no win situation with the Chiefs from what I could see. I didn't blame him for leaving KC. Also, if he were as bad as you make him seem, would he have made it to the pro bowl? I mean, c'mon, you gotta admit that he made great strides in his development over the last 2 years. Albeit, he did make the occasional bonehead play. You gotta keep in mind that he is still a young (not talking age here) qb as far as development. Personally, I'm not gonna pull a Denise here and start rooting for the Ravens. He's not a Chief anymore and that makes him the enemy. Even so, it won't hurt my feelings if he plays very well this year and proves all you Grbashers wrong. That is to say as long as it doesn't affect the Chiefs and their playoff bid/seed.

I guess it's "en vogue" to bash Elvis now.

MrBlond
05-22-2001, 01:32 PM
Actually, I have been bashing Elvis for years. Elvis is a young QB in terms of development? 4 years in a major division one program like Michigan? 4 years sitting on the bench watching Joe Montana and Steve Young? 4 years in QB meeting with the great offensive minds of the 49ers? 4 years as a starting QB with the Chiefs? Every 10 year old with a Sony Playstation knows you don't throw short of the end-zone on the last play down by less than a TD. His age/development had nothing to do with that.

The Bad Guy
05-22-2001, 01:34 PM
Izen,

I appreciate that you read my stuff when NFLScoop was around.

And I'm sorry your dissapointed in me, but I was once a big Grbac supporter. I defended him every chance I could get, wore his jersey every Sunday to watch the Chiefs, and how does the guy repay all the fans that were in his corner? He goes off and talks trash about the Chiefs.

It's a slap in the face to see a guy play mediocre for 3 years, then when in essence it's his contract year, he starts playing at a very high level. I for one find that a little suspecious about Elvis Grbac.

The man has ability, no matter how hard I bash him I will give him that. But it's amazing how he can look like the next coming one minute, and then look like Billy Joe Hobert the next.

I guess what peeves me more than anything is how he went about leaving. He talked at the Pro Bowl about how he wanted to come back, had everyone buffaloed in thinking he was coming back, then bam, decides he doesn't want to be here anymore.

If he left in a cival way, I likely wouldn't have this much of a gripe, but he left than accused the Chiefs of being frustrated because he left.

What a crock.

I'm very comfortable with Trent Green as the Chiefs QB, actually more comfortable then I was with Elvis. I wrote an article for NFLScoop 1 day before Elvis decided he was leaving entitled "If Grbac wants lots of Green, so should the Chiefs". I explained why Trent was the right player for the Chiefs. But for Elvis to say were frustrated is ridiculous, he's just trying to pat himself on the back.

I will now bash Elvis whenever, because he is no longer the QB for the team I love, and he decided to trash this organization.

The reason he was bashed is because of some of his stupid actions, and talking trash about the Chiefs in the last 3 months was another bonehead move by Elvis.

Baby Lee
05-22-2001, 01:59 PM
He talked at the Pro Bowl about how he wanted to come back, had everyone buffaloed in thinking he was coming back, then bam, decides he doesn't want to be here anymore.

The difference between grbac at the Pro Bowl and Grbac at the time he left. That'd be the difference between Coach Vermiel the concept and Coach Vermiel the reality.

BigMeatballDave
05-22-2001, 02:14 PM
I was 1 who defended EG when he was here. He is not Chief anymore, so piss on him. Trent is our man. I think we have the better QB now.

ChiefGator
05-22-2001, 03:33 PM
Hey, I don't mind saying I was a "Grbacker" turned Basher. I agree with Frank that the way he left is what irked me and then the comments later. Worst thing is, I can't even watch all those recorded games I have since EG was one of the only bright spots in our season last year. Almost makes last year even more of a waste.

Mark

47mack
05-23-2001, 04:56 AM
Originally posted by lzen
I realize that bashing EG is the "thing to do" now that he went to Baltimore.

Also, if he were as bad as you make him seem, would he have made it to the pro bowl?

Albeit, he did make the occasional bonehead play.

Even so, it won't hurt my feelings if he plays very well this year and proves all you Grbashers wrong.

1. I was doing it when he was a Chief. But,I do agree with you that everyone else is just NOW doing it.

2. He made it by default

3. More than occasional

4. I don't see that happening....but, maybe I will be one of the guys he proves wrong.