PDA

View Full Version : So... next year's draft... Brohm?

CupidStunt
09-09-2007, 07:12 PM
Sam Baker?

DeSean Jackson?

Glenn Dorsey?

It'd be nice to have the top FIVE picks, but if we just get one of them, who is needed most?

DaKCMan AP
09-09-2007, 07:14 PM
Glenn Dorsey is a beast, but we just drafted 2 young, (hopefully) promising DTs.

Despite popular (and clouded) belief, OL is not our #1 concern. I'd love to be in position to draft either Brian Brohm or Colt Brennan.

Mecca
09-09-2007, 07:15 PM
I'd lean to Brohm just because of the position, DeSean Jackson is a playmaker but with this staff I doubt they'd have a clue how to use the guy.

MGRS13
09-09-2007, 07:16 PM
Brohm is why we HAVE to play Croyle all season if he isn't going to be able to cut it we can take Brohm. If Croyle looks like he'll pan out we take the best left tackle, but it all hinges on the Croyle-Brohm factor.................get Huards ass out and lets start building this team.

Count Alex's Losses
09-09-2007, 07:16 PM
If we don't draft an OT in the first round I'll scream.

tk13
09-09-2007, 07:17 PM
Best player available, I know you're always supposed to but if you're in the top 5-10 you definitely should. If we're that bad we'll need all the help we can get.

I know most people will want a QB, but to be honest I'd just as soon go LT, but we have a long season ahead of evaluating players. I haven't given up on Croyle before he's started a game either.

KCChiefsMan
09-09-2007, 07:18 PM
just no Ryan Sims

DaKCMan AP
09-09-2007, 07:19 PM
If we don't draft an OT in the first round I'll scream.

Further reason why we don't need to go OT in the 1st round: Goatcheese thinks we do.

EyePod
09-09-2007, 07:21 PM
I want a solid o-line first. Who the **** cares about who plays qb if you have a solid o-line. Look at Philly last year, I mean, first, if mcnabb can succeed behind that line anyone can, and then Feeley and Garcia both did great in his place. If we have an o-line, anyone can go back there and throw.

Thig Lyfe
09-09-2007, 07:21 PM
I'd go with Jake Long.

Mecca
09-09-2007, 07:23 PM
When did people become so Oline obsessed?

If you take a LT over a QB it's flat stupid unless you already have a QB and right now we don't, Croyle is nothing to count on until we actually know.

Smed1065
09-09-2007, 07:23 PM
Trade down for 2 more picks?

I am tired of the OL after 2 years of sukking it up but I believe a lower pick could get one with other prospects for other areas as well.

It also depends on what and if we see anything from BC.

IMO.

Basileus777
09-09-2007, 07:24 PM
Baker or Brohm/Woodson. It depends on just how high we are drafting and how things work out at the combine etc.

But knowing Carl we will draft McFadden and take Henne in the 4th.

KCChiefsMan
09-09-2007, 07:26 PM
Henne will probably come cheap

Coogs
09-09-2007, 07:27 PM
The best teams in the AFC.... nearly everyone of them with the exception of Baltimore has a franchise QB, and Baltimore's was at one time. Draft the QB! Then get him a line.

tk13
09-09-2007, 07:29 PM

If you take a LT over a QB it's flat stupid unless you already have a QB and right now we don't, Croyle is nothing to count on until we actually know.
Because that makes no logical sense. Would you rather have a decent QB getting time and throwing it behind a good line... or a better QB running around fearing for his life unable to do anything.

Now, I'll say, if you have a Peyton Manning sitting out there, it's a no-brainer. No way I'd take any OL player over that. But I'm yet to be convinced Brohm is at that level yet. There's still a whole season ahead though, for both college and the pros.

MGRS13
09-09-2007, 07:29 PM

Hell ya brother(i say that with a choke because of the whole USC thing)I am with you .......once again, we've gotta find out if Croyle can play if not you draft the most important player on the field QB and right now that QB is Brohm.

DaKCMan AP
09-09-2007, 07:30 PM
I want a solid o-line first. Who the **** cares about who plays qb if you have a solid o-line. Look at Philly last year, I mean, first, if mcnabb can succeed behind that line anyone can, and then Feeley and Garcia both did great in his place. If we have an o-line, anyone can go back there and throw.

We had the best O-Line in the league for a few years and that yielded us exactly 1 appearance and 0 playoff wins.

I don't know why people think our OLine is so disastrously bad. They're not.

Basileus777
09-09-2007, 07:30 PM
Because that makes no logical sense. Would you rather have a decent QB getting time and throwing it behind a good line... or a better QB running around fearing for his life unable to do anything.

Now, I'll say, if you have a Peyton Manning sitting out there, it's a no-brainer. No way I'd take any OL player over that. But I'm yet to be convinced Brohm is at that level yet. There's still a whole season ahead though, for both college and the pros.

Olinemen aren't guaranteed to be great either. Look at the Raiders passing over qbs for years and taking Gallery. Hell look at the Jets taking Ferguson instead of Leinart. Taking a franchise qb should be the priority.

Coogs
09-09-2007, 07:33 PM
But I'm yet to be convinced Brohm is at that level yet. There's still a whole season ahead though, for both college and the pros.

And what would you like him to do that he has not done already?

DaKCMan AP

Huard was running around fearing for his life today? He sure wasn't running around, because he's about as mobile as Dan Marino with a broken leg and he wasn't sacked until the 3rd quarter when we were already down 17-0.

Seems to me like the O-Line is fine (it can be improved, no doubt) and our major problem lies at QB.

BigMeatballDave
If we don't draft an OT in the first round I'll scream.Why? Will Shields was drafted in the 3rd, right? I know Shields was a guard, I am just making a point that you don't need to draft OL in the 1st.

Mecca
Not one of the Chargers lineman was a first round pick....you don't need an Oline of all first rounders that is the greatest of all time to win. But you almost will always need a damn good QB.

Extra Point
09-09-2007, 07:34 PM
Flynn from LSU. Good at improv, quick feet, decent arm. I just don't believe CP will not draft a QB next year.

DaKCMan AP
09-09-2007, 07:34 PM
Hell ya brother(i say that with a choke because of the whole USC thing)I am with you .......once again, we've gotta find out if Croyle can play if not you draft the most important player on the field QB and right now that QB is Brohm.

Exactly. Too many people are so jaded about the state of our offensive line and the true needs of this team.

MGRS13
09-09-2007, 07:36 PM
Flynn from LSU. Good at improv, quick feet, decent arm. I just don't believe CP will not draft a QB next year.
Hes only played three games you need to hold off on that one. He's not even in Brohms zipcode.

Direckshun
09-09-2007, 07:37 PM
Our passing game on offense is our biggest liability, hands down. Our pass defense is alright but we're going to need serious youth there soon.

QB, WR, or CB with the first pick.

tk13
09-09-2007, 07:39 PM
I can see this argument is going down a road I don't think we should get into yet. Let me put it this way. I am not ready to give up on Brodie Croyle at this time. I'm not saying he's guaranteed to be our "QBOTF". But I think it is pointless to move on to the next step before he ever starts a game.

Mecca
09-09-2007, 07:41 PM
Well they should play him now then because the last thing I wanna hear is "we didn't take Brohm because we have Brodie Croyle" even though they won't play him over career backup noodle arm Damon Huard.

MGRS13
09-09-2007, 07:41 PM
I can see this argument is going down a road I don't think we should get into yet. Let me put it this way. I am not ready to give up on Brodie Croyle at this time. I'm not saying he's guaranteed to be our "QBOTF". But I think it is pointless to move on to the next step before he ever starts a game.Which is why he should be starting right now!

Mecca
09-09-2007, 07:45 PM
This is all moot anyway, Chad Pennington will be the Chiefs QB next year.

CupidStunt
09-09-2007, 07:47 PM
Cleveland is a good example of LT vs QB. They got Joe Thomas whose a nice player but they will never go ANYWHERE without a QB.

Thomas protecting from Frye/Anderson = 3-13.

Quinn will at least give them a chance in the future.

QB is the choice. No doubt.

DaKCMan AP
09-09-2007, 07:47 PM
This is all moot anyway, Chad Pennington will be the Chiefs QB next year.

LMAO

Please let that be a joke..

Extra Point
09-09-2007, 07:48 PM
Second home game of the season, Herm will start Croyle. Dick Curl will ensure Croyle's failure in the first half. Then they will bring in Thigpen, and Herm will have his Chad Pennington clone.

Mecca
09-09-2007, 07:50 PM
LMAO

Please let that be a joke..

It's 50/50 because I honestly wouldn't be surprised. The Jets are probably going to move on from him after the year and that would be a very typical Chiefs/Herm move.

Also if Cleveland would have picked 1st they would have without a doubt taken JaMarcus Russell and not Joe Thomas. They just didn't like Quinn more than Thomas.

MGRS13
09-09-2007, 07:50 PM
Hey Mecca where is Boddy or Boody (what ever the hell his name is)in the QB draft is he a JR. this year? Can he play in the NFL? Will he come out?

HolmeZz
09-09-2007, 07:51 PM
Give me a left tackle.

Colt Brennan's a punk and he throws like a bitch.

the Talking Can
09-09-2007, 07:52 PM
we would be dumb enough to draft a QB without ever giving Croyle an honest shot....in fact, it makes perfect sense for us...

Mecca
09-09-2007, 07:53 PM
Hey Mecca where is Boddy or Boody (what ever the hell his name is)in the QB draft is he a JR. this year? Can he play in the NFL? Will he come out?

John David Booty? He's a senior and he's probably not even the best QB on USC's roster. I wouldn't want to draft him that's for sure. He benefits from the great talent he plays with but he's nowhere near a Palmer or a Leinart.

Mark Sanchez on the other hand, that's the guy that should be playing QB for SC.

Mi_chief_fan
09-09-2007, 07:54 PM
Olinemen aren't guaranteed to be great either. Look at the Raiders passing over qbs for years and taking Gallery. Hell look at the Jets taking Ferguson instead of Leinart. Taking a franchise qb should be the priority.

Gallery i'll give you, but Ferguson's pretty darned good.

MGRS13
09-09-2007, 07:58 PM
John David Booty? He's a senior and he's probably not even the best QB on USC's roster. I wouldn't want to draft him that's for sure. He benefits from the great talent he plays with but he's nowhere near a Palmer or a Leinart.

Mark Sanchez on the other hand, that's the guy that should be playing QB for SC.
Last two have been pretty good but figured you'd know more then I. Personally right now I do think its Brohm and then every body else.

cdcox
09-09-2007, 07:59 PM
It's 50/50 because I honestly wouldn't be surprised. The Jets are probably going to move on from him after the year and that would be a very typical Chiefs/Herm move.

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Mecca
09-09-2007, 08:03 PM
I got a couple friends that live out in that area and everytime we speak that is one of the first things we talk about.

"You know when the Jets decide to go with Clemens the Chiefs are the first team they are gonna call to see if they can get anything for Pennington"

cdcox
09-09-2007, 08:12 PM
I got a couple friends that live out in that area and everytime we speak that is one of the first things we talk about.

"You know when the Jets decide to go with Clemens the Chiefs are the first team they are gonna call to see if they can get anything for Pennington"

The thing that kills me is that I was dreading getting Herm from the beginning of the 2005 season.

I've been anti Pennington since 2002, pre-injury and way before most people. I'm going to die a little inside if we pick him up.

Basileus777
09-09-2007, 08:13 PM
Gallery i'll give you, but Ferguson's pretty darned good.

Its too early to tell how good he will be, but he isn't any good right now. He is a poor run blocker and doesn't have the frame to become a good one. His pass protection was not that good last year even though he was given TE and RB help all year long. He gave up 10+ sacks last year and had games where he was completely dominated. Ferguson hasn't really lived up to his draft status yet, even if most Jet fans won't admit it.

He was also terrible in today's game against the Pats.

Mecca
09-09-2007, 08:17 PM
It's because Ferguson is to light, I thought it before he got drafted. He needs to gain weight in a big way.

If you think Huard has a bad arm wait till Chad Pennington is out there throwing balls at Arrowhead.

the Talking Can
09-09-2007, 08:18 PM
signing Pennington would be the final straw...I think I'd find something else to do....

Mecca
09-09-2007, 08:19 PM
signing Pennington would be the final straw...I think I'd find something else to do....

You have to admit it does sound like a very typical Carl/Chiefs type of move and you know Herm would be all for it.

evolve27
09-09-2007, 08:21 PM
Long, Baker, Richardson..then draft Chad Henne in 2nd round.

Basileus777
09-09-2007, 08:22 PM
Long, Baker, Richardson..then draft Chad Henne in 2nd round.

God no....Chad Henne is a mediocre college qb. He can throw a good deep pass and thats pretty much it. He is wildly inconsistent and actually reminds me of Rex Grossman.

evolve27
09-09-2007, 08:24 PM
God no....Chad Henne is a mediocre college qb. He can throw a good deep pass and thats pretty much it. He is wildly inconsistent and actually reminds me of Rex Grossman.

Oh I thought he was supposed to be good this year...oops.

El Jefe
09-09-2007, 08:25 PM
I would be happy with any of these in no order, Sam Baker, Jake Long, (my favorite pick) Brian Brohm I have wanted him since we didnt trade up for Leinart or take Troy Smith.

Skip Towne
09-09-2007, 08:26 PM
Further reason why we don't need to go OT in the 1st round: Goatcheese thinks we do.
We'd better do what he wants. He's going to scream if we don't.

KurtCobain
09-09-2007, 08:26 PM
We aren't gonna be able to draft Brohm with the 31st pick.

evolve27
09-09-2007, 08:29 PM
We aren't gonna be able to draft Brohm with the 31st pick.

Nice.

tk13
09-09-2007, 08:34 PM
I hate to even get into this argument, I don't feel like getting into a long drawn-out 200 post discussion over it.

But everybody is gonna bring up two people. Robert Gallery, and Matt Light. And I agree, Gallery hasn't lived up to the hype, and Light was underrated.

But... I think the Light excuse is weak, because this is coming from the same team that drafted their franchise QB in the 6th round. Does anyone think we should wait until then to draft our franchise QB? Of course not. If we could do everything the Patriots did, we'd be the Pats, and they wouldn't.

I'm not saying you absolutely have to have a 1st round LT to succeed... but I think it works better that way than the other way around. Everybody is going to bring up Gallery, but you can also bring up Couch, Carr, Leaf, Harrington, etc who never did anything. Even guys like Leftwich and Eli Manning have been disappointing.

I'd like someone to go through and find me a Super Bowl winning team in the last decade or more that had garbage at LT. Or even had an LT that wasn't already proven or a 1st day pick. You can't really do it. You have 1st round studs like Glenn, Pace, Odgen, Zimmerman. And even Marvel Smith of the Steelers was a high 2nd round pick. Guys who could protect QB's like Dilfer, Brad Johnson, Roethlisberger... none of those guys played great QB and led their teams to legendary wins, they played well and had enough protection to make the big plays. Even Kurt Warner wasn't the same without Orlando Pace.

But go find any 1st round QB who had great success by lifting up an inferior LT... you can't do it, because that LT got them killed. I'm not saying we shouldn't draft a QB... but we almost HAVE to find a great LT through FA or the first couple rounds of the draft. Brohm would be worthless without it.

Valiant
09-09-2007, 08:43 PM
I don't know why you guys are going and getting your hopes up of a top 5 pick.. If we do it we are going to trade down... We will trade our top five pick for somewhere in the 21-32 range and get their 1st and their 3rd and maybe a 7th next year...

There is no way in hell we draft a QB with a top five spot.. CP could not handle it... And Herm would ruin it..

We do not need a good QB to run this system of check down passes...

DaKCMan AP
09-09-2007, 08:45 PM
I'd like someone to go through and find me a Super Bowl winning team in the last decade or more that had garbage at LT. Or even had an LT that wasn't already proven or a 1st day pick. You can't really do it. You have 1st round studs like Glenn, Pace, Odgen, Zimmerman. And even Marvel Smith of the Steelers was a high 2nd round pick. Guys who could protect QB's like Dilfer, Brad Johnson, Roethlisberger... none of those guys played great QB and led their teams to legendary wins, they played well and had enough protection to make the big plays. Even Kurt Warner wasn't the same without Orlando Pace.

Still a 1st day pick, but Max Starks is LT for the Steelers and was when they won it in '05. He was a 3rd round pick out of Florida.

the Talking Can
09-09-2007, 08:47 PM
You have to admit it does sound like a very typical Carl/Chiefs type of move and you know Herm would be all for it.

absolutely....a perfect Carl move

eazyb81
09-09-2007, 08:51 PM
Only one mention of Woodson?

You might want to start paying attention to this guy.....he's going to fly off the board in April, especially if Brohm has anything but an outstanding year.

Basileus777
09-09-2007, 08:53 PM
Still a 1st day pick, but Max Starks is LT for the Steelers and was when they won it in '05. He was a 3rd round pick out of Florida.

Marvel Smith was the left tackle that year. He was a 2nd round pick.

http://news.steelers.com/team/player/49249/

KurtCobain
09-09-2007, 08:55 PM
Only one mention of Woodson?

You might want to start paying attention to this guy.....he's going to fly off the board in April, especially if Brohm has anything but an outstanding year.

He won't be there at 31. Let's start talking about guys who will slip to us. Colt Brennan?

tk13
09-09-2007, 08:55 PM
Starks started at RT. Smith was the LT. At least according to this.

http://www.nfl.com/superbowl/history/boxscore/sbxl

eazyb81
09-09-2007, 09:02 PM
He won't be there at 31. Let's start talking about guys who will slip to us. Colt Brennan?

So in your fantasy we lose in the Super Bowl?

Mecca
09-09-2007, 09:13 PM
I think it's hilarious that he said 31 if you are going that far just say 32, to bad the Chiefs have a much better chance of picking 1st than 31st.

Toad
09-09-2007, 09:28 PM
IMHO, the reason guys like Marty and Herm have been so successful in regular season but not in the playoffs is b/c they have/had good balanced teams but only mediocre QBs. In this league, it's all about the QB. Until we find a top QB (and that may include Croyle), we will be doomed to repeat history.

Mi_chief_fan
09-09-2007, 10:07 PM
Its too early to tell how good he will be, but he isn't any good right now. He is a poor run blocker and doesn't have the frame to become a good one. His pass protection was not that good last year even though he was given TE and RB help all year long. He gave up 10+ sacks last year and had games where he was completely dominated. Ferguson hasn't really lived up to his draft status yet, even if most Jet fans won't admit it.

He was also terrible in today's game against the Pats.
Didn't see todays game...........he wasn't horrible last year, I always thought he reminded me a little bit, appearance wise, of Orlando Pace.And i'm not sure if Leinart would have been as good with the Jets Receivers as with the Cards.

DaKCMan AP
09-09-2007, 10:23 PM
Starks started at RT. Smith was the LT. At least according to this.

http://www.nfl.com/superbowl/history/boxscore/sbxl

That's probably right.