PDA

View Full Version : It's Official...

HC_Chief
05-22-2001, 11:17 AM
<a href="http://espn.go.com/nfl/news/2001/0522/1202816.html">ESPN</a> reports the new alignment will be as follows:

<table cellpadding=2 cellspacing=0 border=0 width=450><tr valign=top><td bgcolor=#3C641E align=center colspan=1><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size=2 color=#FFFFFF><b>OPTION A1
</b></font></td></tr><tr valign=top><td bgcolor=#ECECE4 width=446><font face="Arial,Helvetica, sans-serif" size=2><font face="Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif" size=3 color=#A50400><b>NFC</b></font><br><b>East</b><br>Dallas, New York Giants, Philadelphia, Washington<br><b>South</b><br>Atlanta, Carolina, New Orleans, Tampa Bay<br><b>North</b><br>Chicago, Detroit, Green Bay, Minnesota<br><b>West</b><br>Arizona, St. Louis, San Francisco, Seattle<br><font face="Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif" size=3 color=#A50400><b>AFC</b></font><br><b>East</b><br>Buffalo, Miami, New England, New York Jets<br><b>South</b><br>Houston, Indianapolis, Jacksonville, Tennessee<br><b>North</b><br>Baltimore, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Pittsburgh<br><b>West</b><br>Denver, Kansas City, Oakland, San Diego<br></font></td></tr></table>

Joe Seahawk
05-22-2001, 11:20 AM
SUMBITCH!!:mad:

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
05-22-2001, 11:27 AM
Baring a complete collapse, I'd say Baltimore is looking pretty good at being in the playoffs for the foreseeable future. Cincy <b>MAY</b> be getting serious about pursuing talent, but Pittsburgh is growing old and Cleveland may be the first team to be passed by the Houston Texans for better record.

That AFC South division looks deadly though. Indy/Jax/Tennessee may soon come to resemble the AFC West... good out of conference records, but they kill each other inside the division.

NFC isn't changed enough to really notice.

HC_Chief
05-22-2001, 11:28 AM
Yup - last year KC gets to whip up on the Seahawks 2X. :p

I STILL say Miami belongs in the South - move Indy to the North, and B'more to the East. Oh well, guess they failed to read my memo...

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
05-22-2001, 11:37 AM
HC,

From talking to Raven's fans here, apparently there was an agreement (understanding) when the Browns moved to Baltimore that if there was a realignment that the Ravens would be in the old AFC Central. Mr. Rooney really wanted to keep the Baltimore/Pittsburgh/Cleveland rivalry going.

None of the AFC Central teams had any natural rivalries with the Colts.

BIG_DADDY
05-22-2001, 11:41 AM
Are there no more wild card teams now?

Joe Seahawk
05-22-2001, 11:43 AM
You guys are lucky we are leaving the AFC West;)

Guess I hafta change my sig AFTER this year...:)

Cormac
05-22-2001, 11:47 AM
BD,

There are still 6 teams from each conference making the playoffs. 4 winners and 2 wild cards.

We'll miss you Joe :p

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
05-22-2001, 11:48 AM
Joe,

Hopefully you'll keep coming by here. You've sorta grown on us..... ;)

---------------------------
(will let someone else fill in the blank there. :p

47mack
05-22-2001, 11:48 AM
I like what I see

kcred
05-22-2001, 11:49 AM
BD - Still six playoff teams, 4 division winners, and 2 wild cards, best record. I think this will just about eliminate 3 teams from one division though. Hard to imagine, but guess it could happen.

Lzen
05-22-2001, 11:52 AM
That's funny, Joe. :p

I believe I read somewhere a few months ago that there'll be 4 division winners and 2 wild cards. That would be the same amount of teams that make the playoffs now.

Joe Seahawk
05-22-2001, 12:03 PM
The new scheduling format ensures that every team meets every other team in the league at least once every four years. There will be six division games -- home-and-home -- plus games against one division from the AFC and one from the NFC on a rotating basis.

Once every four years we get to play our old AFC West opponents...SUMBITCH!!:mad: :confused: :o :eek: :rolleyes:

58Forever
05-22-2001, 12:06 PM
The AFC North looks tough...:rolleyes:

At least they tried to keep all the big rivalries intact...kc and oak, den and sd...the original west?

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
05-22-2001, 12:07 PM
From that same ESPN article regarding the new scheduling:

"The new scheduling format ensures that every team meets every other team in the league at least once every four years. There will be six division games -- home-and-home -- plus games against one division from the AFC and one from the NFC on a rotating basis.

The other two games will be within the conference based on the previous season's standings: one vs. one, two vs. two, etc.

The league also will not set exhibition games except for the last one in an effort to preserve rivalries. Tagliabue said, for example, that Dallas would play Arizona, which had its largest draws against the Cowboys."

So, we could see something like: Denver (x2), Oakland (x2), San Diego (x2), Baltimore, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Cincinatti, St. Louis, Seattle, San Francisco, Arizona, Indianapolis and Miami.

NaptownChief
05-22-2001, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by 58Forever
The AFC North looks tough...:rolleyes:

Are you kidding or being serious?

58Forever
05-22-2001, 12:10 PM
jl80...

that little smiley face is suppose to represent sarcasam...kidding of course...

NaptownChief
05-22-2001, 12:17 PM

I thought so...Cause that is horrible. Baltimore has a cake walk for a division title...

Baby Lee
05-22-2001, 12:20 PM
Interesting observation - Dallas [in the East] is West of all the teams in the South, and is South of 2 of the 4 as well.

old_geezer
05-22-2001, 12:22 PM
I, too, hope you hang around Joe. Your presence on this board has always been a class act.
Looks like Baltimore is assured of making the playoffs in the forseeable future (I don't believe even Elvis can screw up that division) :p
Overall I like what I see. With the improvements the Seahawks have made in the off-season I'm glad we don't play them after this year. :D

ct
05-22-2001, 12:25 PM
I STILL say Miami belongs in the South - move Indy to the North, and B'more to the East.
- HC_Chief

I absolutely agree!!

None of the AFC Central teams had any natural rivalries with the Colts.
-Misplaced

So BMore has no lingering rivalry with Indy?

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
05-22-2001, 12:32 PM
Not from what I can tell.

Anger at the Colt ownership for sneaking out of town in the middle of the night -- yes

Anger at their Baltimore Colts Hall of Fame Records being rewritten to say Indianapolis Colts -- yes

Pissed as HELL that Johnny U is in the Hall under the Indianapolis Colts -- <b>HELL YES!!!</b>

Anger at Paul Fagliabue telling them to build a museum to the Colts because they were NOT going to get a team via expansion, period (thanks to his personal box seats from Jack Kemp Crook) -- yes

Rivalry with the Indianapolis Colts -- nope. Not in their division, could give a **** less unless it helps their playoff chances.

DanT
05-22-2001, 12:36 PM
These look like a good compromise between preserving old rivalries and reducing the number of geographical misfits.

58Forever
05-22-2001, 12:36 PM
How about the NFC South, think Tampa is smiling about now?

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
05-22-2001, 12:39 PM
Don't be too sure about that.

Last time I checked, New Orleans was the NFC West champions, not the Rams. I think they'll give Tampa Bay all the game they want.

Stryker
05-22-2001, 12:45 PM
Joe:

Look on the bright side. WE WILL ALL ROOT FOR YOU TWICE A YEAR WHEN YOU PLAY THE LAMBS!!!!!!:D

Who knows we might even meet in the SB some day!:p

I too hope that you will stick around!

Stryker
05-22-2001, 12:50 PM
I like the realignment. Only problem is now I have to add 2 more shelves and cut down the other 6 for all the mini helmets I have. :mad:

Oh well at least I have another year before i have to tackle it. :)

BigMeatballDave
05-22-2001, 12:54 PM
I think they should add 2 more play-off teams with the addition of this new format. Also, with less divisonal games I`d like to see the Chiefs and Rams play every year. Along with other interconference rivalries such as Raiders & 49ers and Jets & Giants.....you get the idea.

BigMeatballDave
05-22-2001, 01:04 PM
It seems silly to me to be so close to a city, geographically, and only play them once every 4 years.

milkman
05-23-2001, 05:23 AM
For the most part, how the league realigned made little difference to me as long as the old AFL west teams remained aligned in the same division.
Like most, I am sorry to see Joe shipped off to the NFC west, but think there's a more natural rivalry to SF for Seattle. There just isn't any real rivalry between Seattle and the rest of the AFC west teams.