PDA

View Full Version : Whitlock: Chiefs weren’t as bad as expected

Count Alex's Wins
09-09-2007, 11:13 PM
http://www.kansascity.com/sports/columnists/jason_whitlock/story/268385.html

Whitlock: Chiefs weren’t as bad as expected

HOUSTON | On opening day, inside Reliant Stadium, playing against a mediocre opponent, the Chiefs were exactly who the experts thought they were — bumbling on offense, horrid on special teams and toothless on defense.

The Texans slapped the Chiefs 20-3, setting the stage for a week’s worth of sky-is-falling analysis in Kansas City.

Surprisingly, and perhaps against my better judgment, I won’t be the ringleader.

Oh, the Chiefs were bad. They turned the ball over four times. Herm Edwards’ pet kicker, Justin Medlock, sliced a first-possession 30-yard field-goal attempt. Eddie Drummond, the return man the Chiefs picked up and kept despite Justin Phinisee’s fine training camp, coughed up a critical fumble. And, most disturbingly, Kansas City’s defense surrendered a game-deciding 15-play, 65-yard, 10-minute, 25-second drive opening the fourth quarter.

The Chiefs just weren’t as bad as I thought they’d be.

An officiating error knocked the Chiefs out of this game. Kris Wilson did not fumble at the beginning of the third quarter. No way. I don’t blame the refs for letting defensive end Mario Williams scoop up Wilson’s drop and run into the end zone. The refs know there’s instant replay, and there’s a way to correct an error that occurs before a whistle.

Someone needs to explain to me how that fumble wasn’t overturned and made into an incompletion.

“Well, I challenged it,” Edwards said after the game. “That’s all you can do.”

Wilson added: “It was definitely an incompletion.”

The bad call turned a 10-0 offensive struggle into a 17-0 rout that rendered Larry Johnson and Michael Bennett useless.

When the half opened, I fully expected the Chiefs to jam Johnson and Bennett down the heart of Houston’s defense. It was there for the taking. Kansas City’s offensive line did a nice job in the running game. In the first half, Johnson and Bennett combined for 55 yards in 11 carries.

They split four carries in the second half. Turnovers, dropped passes, Houston’s clock-eating, fourth-quarter drive and the 17-0 deficit prevented the Chiefs from getting into their ground game.

“We have to get back to the fundamentals,” guard Brian Waters said. “We have to hold on to the football, catch the passes that hit us in the hands …”

Yeah, Dwayne Bowe had a terrible debut. By my count, he dropped three passes. Eddie Kennison’s pulled hamstring on KC’s first play tossed Bowe into the lineup. He choked. Let’s hope Kennison’s injury and Bowe’s performance will get Bobby Sippio off KC’s practice squad and onto the field. Sippio should be KC’s third receiver after Kennison and Samie Parker, who shockingly turned in a solid performance.

Kennison’s early departure (and Bowe’s hands) hamstrung Mike Solari’s playbook. Solari’s opportunity to adjust was blown up when the refs counted Williams’ fumble-return TD.

Hey, I’m not arguing the Chiefs should’ve won this game. That’s not true. But Kennison’s injury and the blown call compromised KC’s shot at being competitive. Trust me, the Chiefs can compete with the Texans.

And this Sunday, the Chiefs might be able to lock the Chicago Bears in a low-scoring offensive struggle, too. The Chiefs have two good backs, a physical offensive line, and I liked what I saw from quarterback Damon Huard.

Despite the drops, Huard completed 22 of 33 passes. His two picks didn’t bother me. Huard made sound, quick reads and delivered the ball with accuracy. He was relatively calm in the pocket.

Defensively, a coverage mistake or poor scheme left safety Bernard Pollard one-on-one with speedster Andre Johnson, who scored on a 77-yard play. Defensive tackle Alfonso Boone gave the Chiefs a presence inside. The Chiefs’ pass rush missed Jared Allen, who has to sit out one more game.

The Chiefs weren’t quite bad enough for me to write them off and begin my “Dethrone The King Campaign” (DTKC). I’m patient. I’ll wait another week.

Count Alex's Wins
09-09-2007, 11:15 PM
He unfairly ripped Bowe. The dude did great for his first pro game.

Thig Lyfe
Yeah, that call on the Wilson play was shit.

baitism
Yeah, ok whitlock. Have a few more doughnuts.

Woodrow Call
Pretty much agree with him.

He was a little hard on Bowe.

banyon
09-09-2007, 11:16 PM
Not as bad as expected? Did he expect us to lose by 40?

DeezNutz
09-09-2007, 11:16 PM
dang it.

ChiefsCountry
09-09-2007, 11:17 PM
Other than Bowe I thought Whitlock was spot on.

Stinger
Other than Bowe I thought Whitlock was spot on.

yep

'Hamas' Jenkins

Bullf*ck. One good catch and 3 drops does not a good debut make.

Jenson71
Regarding Bowe, it didn't sound "terrible"

BigRock
09-09-2007, 11:18 PM
Yeah, Dwayne Bowe had a terrible debut.
:shake:

There's already an agenda at work. Maybe Bowe didn't want to chat with him after the game.

Jenson71
09-09-2007, 11:19 PM
Not as bad as expected? Did he expect us to lose by 40?

Actually, I think his prediction was 17-10, Texans win. But in his article, he said he wouldn't be surprised by 17-3, Texans.

unlurking
09-09-2007, 11:19 PM
I watched at the bar today, so couldn't see up close, but it sure looked like a fumble to me. I couldn't see any bobble and he made a football move by trying to tuck and turn around.

Deberg_1990
09-09-2007, 11:20 PM
Yeah, that call on the Wilson play was shit.

Agreed. The rulebook states the reciever has to make a "football move" There was no "Football Move" made. It was a difficult call, and i would suspect if 10 different crews had to make the call, only about half of them would get it right.

Direckshun
09-09-2007, 11:21 PM
Jesus, Whitlock's giving measured, reasonable analysis?

What a ****ed up season this is going to be.

banyon
09-09-2007, 11:22 PM
Actually, I think his prediction was 17-10, Texans win. But in his article, he said he wouldn't be surprised by 17-3, Texans.

Well, that sounds like worse than expected to me I would think.

Mecca
09-09-2007, 11:25 PM
The official guy that appears on NFL Network said that rule has been changed. The phrase "football move" is no longer in the fumble rule.

Wilson pulled down the ball hit both feet on the ground and turned to run, it was very borderline. When they called it a fumble I knew it was going to stand. In all honesty I thought it was a fumble seeing as both his feet had come down on the ground and he was turning to run before it came out.

Count Alex's Wins
09-09-2007, 11:27 PM
I thought the refs were kinda biased today. I saw Larry get hit twice out of bounds. No call.

unlurking
09-09-2007, 11:29 PM
The official guy that appears on NFL Network said that rule has been changed. The phrase "football move" is no longer in the fumble rule.

Wilson pulled down the ball hit both feet on the ground and turned to run, it was very borderline. When they called it a fumble I knew it was going to stand. In all honesty I thought it was a fumble seeing as both his feet had come down on the ground and he was turning to run before it came out.
That was my interpretation as well.

Although I assumed the act of tucking the ball and/or turning was a "football move", I didn't know that was removed from the rule.

Carlota69
09-09-2007, 11:35 PM

I saw D-Bowe catch at least 3 passes..Including the one where he was basically sitting down. I thought he did well for his first pro game as well.

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-09-2007, 11:38 PM
I saw D-Bowe catch at least 3 passes..Including the one where he was basically sitting down. I thought he did well for his first pro game as well.

I thought he did ok...but he didn't do great, and he didn't do terrible. GoatSE and Fatlock are both off (shocker).

unlurking
Yeah, he had more than one good catch. The fact that only one of them was thrown more than 3 yards out is not really his fault.

'Hamas' Jenkins
What really happened

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/zX4ox7aX_wc"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zX4ox7aX_wc" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

unlurking
09-09-2007, 11:41 PM
I thought he did ok...but he didn't do great, and he didn't do terrible. GoatSE and Fatlock are both off (shocker).
No, definitely not great. He had the inconsistency you'd expect of a rookie, but he was more consistent than any other receiver on last year's team barring EK (would have said current team but Sammie showed up today, wtf?!). I think he will get better quickly.

unlurking
09-09-2007, 11:42 PM
What really happened

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/zX4ox7aX_wc"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zX4ox7aX_wc" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>
Nice!

|Zach|
09-09-2007, 11:43 PM

If that play was in the endzone would you have called in a TD?

Logical
09-09-2007, 11:44 PM
Agreed. The rulebook states the reciever has to make a "football move" There was no "Football Move" made. It was a difficult call, and i would suspect if 10 different crews had to make the call, only about half of them would get it right.

RoFL if only half get it right, then you can't criticize it as a blown call.

Thig Lyfe
09-09-2007, 11:45 PM
RoFL if only half get it right, then you can't criticize it as a blown call.

Wait, if half blow a call, then it's never a blown call?

dirk digler
09-09-2007, 11:48 PM
What really happened

>

LMAO

That is right on ROFL

boogblaster
09-09-2007, 11:50 PM
The football-move has changed..bad as I hate it ..he fumbled the ball ..you know football isn't rocket-science but it takes everyone to be on the same page..Chiefs we're all on the same page today .....

unlurking
09-09-2007, 11:57 PM
Wait, if half blow a call, then it's never a blown call?
No, if half get it right, they aren't officiating a Chiefs game.

Ugly Duck
09-10-2007, 01:12 AM
On opening day, inside Reliant Stadium, playing against a mediocre opponent.....

http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/4170/sadtonygh3wp4.jpg

Discuss Thrower
09-10-2007, 01:46 AM
The only way I can think of that call being upheld is that Wilson was behind the LOS, and thus it was a live ball regardless of whether or not he had possession.

Thing is, I don't recall it being behind the LOS.

crazycoffey
09-10-2007, 07:57 AM

Exactly what I was thinking....

Demonpenz
09-10-2007, 08:06 AM
I hope bowe plays better. Watching other number one draft pics tear it up it was hard to see bowe drop gimmie's

htismaqe
09-10-2007, 08:39 AM
The Chiefs were exactly what I expected.

Safe, short, dink, and dunk.

And pathetic.

el borracho
09-10-2007, 08:43 AM
The Chiefs were exactly what I expected.

Safe, short, dink, and dunk.

And pathetic.
Pretty much, although there were a few good surprises:
* the first offensive drive
* Page's interception
* Boone's penetration

bobbything
09-10-2007, 08:48 AM
You can't drop 3 passes in a game and have a good game. Bowe didn't play very well. Two of his passes were on 3rd down as well.

What happened to Tony Gonzalez? Did he play after the 1st drive?

NUMBER7
09-10-2007, 08:51 AM

Parker as the offense star of the game...and now this from JW...we are in Bizzaro world.

Chiefnj2
09-10-2007, 08:53 AM
I don't know how people can say the Chiefs weren't "as bad" as expected. It was the Texans with a new QB. They should have been as rusty and made as many mistakes as KC.

It was not a good game by any stretch of the imagination. The D gave up a big play and then let the Texans control the clock late in the game. The OL's pass protection wasn't good. Everyone was dropping balls and Huard and Pennington are in the lead for the Weakest NFL Arm Award.

It was a poor performance.

3 years in a row a Herm coached team comes out flat, sloppy and unprepared; like a first time crack whore.

Phobia
09-10-2007, 08:56 AM
The only way I can think of that call being upheld is that Wilson was behind the LOS, and thus it was a live ball regardless of whether or not he had possession.

Thing is, I don't recall it being behind the LOS.

I think you're making up rules in your head.

Molitoth
09-10-2007, 09:10 AM
Huard made sound, quick reads and delivered the ball with accuracy. He was relatively calm in the pocket.

What the hell was he smoking?
Huard threw wobbly, slow, floaters all day long... against Chicago expect those to be INT's.

InChiefsHell
09-10-2007, 09:34 AM
Interesting that he gives Huard a pass, when he totally looked like ass. Bowe had a rookie game, but made some nice grabs. Huard is not a rookie. That is all...

patteeu
09-10-2007, 09:43 AM

I agree. I think Bowe had a mixed game and, under the circumstances (ie being much more involved than expected as a result of Kennison's injury), I think he did pretty well.

Chiefnj2
09-10-2007, 09:45 AM
Welcome to the rest of Bowe's career. He's always going to drop some easy balls.

patteeu
09-10-2007, 09:47 AM

That's interesting. If true, I agree that it was a good call. Personally, I think that's a good rule change.

irishjayhawk
09-10-2007, 09:49 AM
I think Bowe had a mixed game and not nearly as bad as Whitlock would like us to think. However, pinning the 4th quarter drive on the D is somewhat disconcerting. I would put that drive half on the D and half on the O. Reason being: The D was on the field the whole freaking first 3 quarters.

donkhater
09-10-2007, 10:34 AM
Welcome to the rest of Bowe's career. He's always going to drop some easy balls.
Welcome to the career of every receiver not name Carter or Rice.

The hope is that he is such a difference maker to make up for those drops. i.e. makes clutch catches and TDs and draws defensers to him to open up space for teammates. I can say with great certainty that these will not be the last passes that he drops.

Geez, the standards that KC fans expect from young players mirrors the front office. Neither are patient enough to go through some mixed play to allow for growth. BENCH MEDLOCK!!! BOWE SUCKS!!! CROYLE WILL NEVER BE JOE MONTANA!!!!

ct
09-10-2007, 10:42 AM

agree, whatever the call was on the field had to stand, not near enough to overturn either way.

htismaqe
09-10-2007, 10:49 AM
I don't know how people can say the Chiefs weren't "as bad" as expected. It was the Texans with a new QB. They should have been as rusty and made as many mistakes as KC.

It was not a good game by any stretch of the imagination. The D gave up a big play and then let the Texans control the clock late in the game. The OL's pass protection wasn't good. Everyone was dropping balls and Huard and Pennington are in the lead for the Weakest NFL Arm Award.

It was a poor performance.

3 years in a row a Herm coached team comes out flat, sloppy and unprepared; like a first time crack whore.

They absolutely were as bad I expected them to be. They were EXACTLY what I expected.

el borracho
09-10-2007, 10:55 AM
I think Bowe had a mixed game and not nearly as bad as Whitlock would like us to think. However, pinning the 4th quarter drive on the D is somewhat disconcerting. I would put that drive half on the D and half on the O. Reason being: The D was on the field the whole freaking first 3 quarters.
The difference in time of possession was 3 minutes in the Texans favor. Not what we would want but not a huge difference. In any case, the D did its job- allowed 13 points. The O had its chances and did nothing and the special teams failed, as well (missed field goal and the turnover).

Chiefnj2
09-10-2007, 10:58 AM
The difference in time of possession was 3 minutes in the Texans favor. Not what we would want but not a huge difference.

If that's the case KC must have had the TOP favor entering into the 4th quarter because the Texans held the ball for 10 minutes on that 4th quarter drive.

Chiefnj2
09-10-2007, 11:00 AM
They absolutely were as bad I expected them to be. They were EXACTLY what I expected.
You predicted a victory, didn't you?

StcChief
09-10-2007, 11:34 AM
Give the Texans some credit. We didn't get it down in serveral areas.

Inspector
09-10-2007, 11:40 AM
I think you're making up rules in your head.

You know, those are the easiest ones for me to follow.

Chiefnj2
09-10-2007, 11:42 AM
Give the Texans some credit. We didn't get it down in serveral areas.

I feel bad for the Texans and their fans. Right now they are probably feeling good about themselves and have high hopes for the rest of the season. They need some perspective that it was just the Chiefs.

Somewhere on Sunday Printers, Phinesee and Gardner shared a brew and had a good laugh.

Inspector
09-10-2007, 11:43 AM
I think Medlock's 27 yard FG looked pretty good. It went between the uprights....barely.

Mr. Kotter
09-10-2007, 11:43 AM
I think Whitlock, once again, nails it.

As bad as we were yesterday, if three of four crucial plays had turned out different...it would have been an entirely different ball game.

There's a lot of truth to the notiong, "we are never as GOOD as we look on our best Sundays....or as BAD as we look on our worst days."

:hmmm:

I've gotta think yesterday.....is about as bad as it can get. :banghead:

:(

Micjones
09-10-2007, 11:51 AM
We should be tough on Bowe.
He's a First Round draft pick.

He was able to get things going and played fairly well over all, but the drops were disheartening.

Chiefnj2
09-10-2007, 11:59 AM
For everyone ripping on Bowe, take a look at how those other first round WR's that people wanted fared this past weekend. Some of them weren't even active.

TEX
09-10-2007, 12:16 PM
I think Medlock's 27 yard FG looked pretty good. It went between the uprights....barely.

He $UCKS and needs to go. Period.

Mr. Kotter
09-10-2007, 12:22 PM
Unbelievable.

I know Medlock was really struggling, but after week one? :spock:

On the bright side, maybe it will light a fire under some of the other underachieving types. :shake:

Redcoats58
09-10-2007, 12:27 PM
I agree, those were all fairly easy catches that he dropped. I was not impressed.

Calcountry
09-10-2007, 12:29 PM

Wilson pulled down the ball hit both feet on the ground and turned to run, it was very borderline. When they called it a fumble I knew it was going to stand. In all honesty I thought it was a fumble seeing as both his feet had come down on the ground and he was turning to run before it came out.ROFL Yep, clearly a fumble, any fool that graduated from USC could see that.

htismaqe
09-10-2007, 12:37 PM
You predicted a victory, didn't you?

I figured Damon and his lack of mistakes would be enough. I didn't expect a fluke fumble return and I also didn't expect the defense to give up a 15-play 10-minute drive.

I should have said, "the offense is exactly what I expected" or even more specifically "the Damon Huard-led offense is exactly what I expected."

Dr. Van Halen
09-10-2007, 12:40 PM
Welcome to the career of every receiver not name Carter or Rice.

Does anyone actually remember Jerry Rice's career (not just his legend)? He was in serious danger of being cut by the 49ers as a rookie because he had trouble ... with drops! People made fun of him and called for Walsh's head on a platter for keeping him as a starter.

He got better, as it turns out.