PDA

View Full Version : I need your help, lolz

Discuss Thrower
09-10-2007, 12:53 AM
Okay, ignore the 1337 speak in the title.

I have four hours a week on my campus radio station. It doesn't broadcast over the air because of FCC rules (Basically), and as of now, the live stream over the internet is offline for reasons unknown. Matter of fact, the school website went down tonight too. No email for me.

My hours are in two two-hour blocks, 5-7PM Tuesday and Friday. Supposedly, I have to stick to the format of parroting off news every 30 minutes. I don't want to, but it's an hours worth of credit. What can you do?

I've titled my show "The Watchtower". Am I a Jehova's Witness? No. I just like the song, and I think it sounds bad ass. But I need to figure out what the hell I'm going to do with it.

I'm a Political Science Major, so I could be a talking head. But I want to be the GM of the Chiefs, and thus would like to talk about sports. Or, I could just be a hack and play music that nobody listens to because of iPods.

Can anyone help a brotha out?

Ari Chi3fs
09-10-2007, 01:20 AM
interview people. its fun, and you learn a lot.

Taco John
09-10-2007, 01:50 AM
When I had my campus show, I played ecclectic music, and read only odd news of the day... The kind of stuff nobody needs to know, but everybody need to hear.

That and 80's hour! (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=_f8Sser_DJU)

patteeu
09-10-2007, 06:52 AM
The first thing you should have done is figure out what you want your show to be about before choosing a title.

I don't have any good ideas, but here's a bad one: Combine your interests by talking about sports (soccer and cricket and politics (the threat of muslim extremism) to cater to your schools' Indian population.

Somewhat like Taco John, on my college show, I played a variety of R&R music and read unusual news that we got from a service called "Rip and Read News" IIRC, but your point about iPods these days is a good one.

KcMizzou
09-10-2007, 06:54 AM
When I had my campus show, I played ecclectic music, and read only odd news of the day... The kind of stuff nobody needs to know, but everybody need to hear.

That and 80's hour! (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=_f8Sser_DJU)

Yeah, seems like even real radio shows take most of their material directly from sites like Fark.com anymore.

gblowfish
09-10-2007, 08:12 AM
Stay away from a Mass Communications degree.

For God Sake, don't waste your college years. Get a degree where you can get an actual good paying job!

I know...

I have a Mass Communications degree.

Discuss Thrower
09-10-2007, 11:22 AM
Stay away from a Mass Communications degree.

For God Sake, don't waste your college years. Get a degree where you can get an actual good paying job!

I know...

I have a Mass Communications degree.

I am a Political Science Major. Provided I get out of this semester, see if I can hack my way into Law School.

Either be a lawyer, politician, or GM of the Chiefs.. Or NFL Commissioner. That'd be cool too.

Rain Man
09-10-2007, 07:06 PM
I hear that ultra-right-wing ranting about secession from the union and civil rights always makes for a good four-hour radio show.

Or alternately, you could go the other way and just read the speeches of Fidel Castro and Kim Jong Il. Those will fill up four hours pretty fast.