PDA

View Full Version : HERM EDWARDS POSTGAME QUOTES 9/10/07

Tribal Warfare
09-10-2007, 09:39 AM
http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2007/09/10/herm_edwards_postgame_quotes_texans/

HERM EDWARDS POSTGAME QUOTES
Sep 10, 2007, 9:09:49 AM

HERM EDWARDS: “It’s very simple and not very hard to figure out: when you turn the ball over four times on the road that’s not good. When they score on turnovers that’s not very good. We had a good drive offensively, I thought, the first time we got the ball. Went down but didn’t get any points. From there we kinda battled field position in the first half. I thought we collected ourselves when we turned the ball over on the kickoff and held them to a field goal. We stayed in the game that way.

“When it’s 10-0 you feel you have a chance and then we turned it over again for a touchdown and now it’s 17-0 and that makes it very, very difficult on the road. That’s kind of been our formula in the pre-season and now with our starters playing the whole game we fell into that trap again. We turned the ball over and got some unnecessary penalties at the wrong time. That’s where we’re at. Not very good when you turn the ball over on the road. Not very good defensively when you don’t get off the field on the third down.

“We gave them the one big play and that ignited them some, but then I thought we settled down and played well. We get the ball coming out the second half and we turn it over and that makes it 17-0 and that makes it very difficult.

“We had a couple of nice drives but we self-destructed. We got some fouls; we dropped some balls. When you do that you’re not going to be very consistent on offense. That’s what happened to us. I thought defensively we held in there for the most part and withstood the kickoff and the fumble, but then we allowed them a big play. They made a great play, a big-time receiver did. But we settled back down before the half.”

Q: You had a chance to take a lead early in the game and you missed the field goal. Do you go out and bring in any of those kickers you had last week in Kansas City?

EDWARDS: “The kid missed a field goal. It looked like to me he was aiming it; he wasn’t trying to kick it. It was an easy field goal for him and he tried to guide it through. Right now he’s our kicker. That’s where it’s at. As far as working guys out, we’ve worked some guys out but he’s our kicker who missed one and made one. We’ll see where it’s at.”

Q: If you look at that first drive you had a rookie miss a catch that would have given you a first down deep in their territory and a rookie kicker who missed a field goal.

EDWARDS: “It’s not always young players; we had some veteran guys do some things uncharacteristic too. But [Bowe] came back later and made a heck of a catch to get us back down there. The kicker made a kick we had to make at the end. But that’s no excuse. You can’t turn the ball over four times on the road and expect to have a chance. It’s amazing it was only 20 [points for Houston]. Generally, you turn it over four times it gets way out of whack. Now, we took the ball away a couple of times on defense which is good. Page made a great play in the endzone that stopped them from scoring. And we had another big play.”

Q: Did Larry Johnson get enough carries?

EDWARDS: “I thought we had a good plan for him. He carried the ball about 10 times in the first half to make sure he’d be fresh in the second half. They went on a long drive in the third quarter and took a lot of time off the clock. We kind of managed him early but he made a couple of nice runs.”

Q: If you had scored on that first drive, do you think it might have changed momentum?

EDWARDS: “There are a lot of ifs. If we score its more points and if they don’t pick up a fumble and run it back we have a chance. But we turned the ball over way too many times. You’re not going to turn the ball over four times in the National Football League and win. You’re kidding yourself. I don’t care what kind of offense you have, what kind of football team you have. Now we helped ourselves taking two away and the one we did take away we had a nice drive on. You can’t turn it over.”

Q: The fumble by Kris Wilson looked suspect. Nine times out of ten that will be overruled.

EDWARDS: “Well, I challenged it. That’s all I can do. But they said it was a fumble. I’ll leave it at that. That’s all I can do.”

Q: What about the dropped balls?

EDWARDS: “One was Webb who got hit pretty good. It just came out. Bowe had one when he stopped running on the ball and it kind of came out. But he came out later and made a good catch. I thought Damon held up for the most part. But when you get behind and you’re in a passing situation and they’re going to rush their guys.”

Direckshun
09-10-2007, 09:40 AM
GO GET 'IM, BOYS

FringeNC
09-10-2007, 09:43 AM
I made it through a couple paragraphs without throwing up -- better not press my luck.

Skip Towne
09-10-2007, 09:44 AM
I feel much better now.

el borracho
09-10-2007, 09:45 AM
GO GET 'IM, BOYS
ROFL

Too true.

donkhater
09-10-2007, 09:47 AM
As much as I'd hate to give Herm any leeway, I will say this:

They can only call the plays, the players have to make them. For the most part, given what they had to work with, I thought the play calling was fine. The turnover by Drummond and Wilson were 10 points.

Having said that, the type of offensive philosophy that Herm has leaves no room for mistakes. If he thinks this team isn't going to commit a turnover the rest of the year, he must be planning for the QB to take a kneel down 500 times. As such, some aggressiveness on offense is sorely needed to counteract the turnovers that WILL come.

ottawa_chiefs_fan
09-10-2007, 10:08 AM
unfortunately - losing coaches always sound like they are making excuses - waiiiiit a second - it's because they are!

Probably better for all concerned if he just skips the pressers from now on.....we are learning nothing we don't already know and I am sure he is getting nothing out of them....seeing his pained expressions on the sidelines is really enough for me.....

Valiant
09-10-2007, 10:14 AM
As much as I'd hate to give Herm any leeway, I will say this:

They can only call the plays, the players have to make them. For the most part, given what they had to work with, I thought the play calling was fine. The turnover by Drummond and Wilson were 10 points.

Having said that, the type of offensive philosophy that Herm has leaves no room for mistakes. If he thinks this team isn't going to commit a turnover the rest of the year, he must be planning for the QB to take a kneel down 500 times. As such, some aggressiveness on offense is sorely needed to counteract the turnovers that WILL come.

Are you serious??? The play calling was fine??? Yeah the players have to produce but that playcalling is going to get us killed each week.. The turnovers hurt, but we were inept on offense and would have still lost without them..

What do you think is going to happen against good defensive teams that are not Texas if Solari calls those same types of plays??

The offensive pass play calling allowed the defenders play everything in front of them and unload.. Solari was not even trying to keep the defense honest against him..

With Herm's style of Offense, if we get down more then 10 pts LJ and the running game are done... We will see after the first 4 games go, but I have the feeling that LJ will have to bust his ass just to break 1000 yards if we give up the run after getting behind...

Hailchief
09-10-2007, 10:16 AM
Nice interview coach...keep up the hard work

Iowanian
09-10-2007, 10:19 AM
I have to poop.

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-10-2007, 10:48 AM
Of course, Herm doesn't mention that 2 of those 4 turnovers had no bearing on the outcome of the game.

I'm sorry, but you can't expect your offense to score consistently if you need a 15 play drive to move the ball 75 yards. That puts way too much pressure on the O on third down, and eventually someone will f*ck up, like Bowe did.

You can't score points if you can't stretch the field in some aspect.