PDA

View Full Version : Phil Simms on Bill Parcells and why it is relevant to KC...

donkhater
09-10-2007, 11:34 AM
I finished reading "Sunday Morning Quarterback" (reads likes sh!t but has some interesting things in it)

I come to a chapter about Parcells. Simms wrote that Parcells use to tell him things like, "If you don't throw for at least 2 interceptions today, I'm gonna be pissed." Meaning that, Parcells was looking for Simms to be aggressive downfield with the ball. Parcells could handle the turnovers as long as Simms was being agressive in his passing.

Simms relayed a moment from a practice. Parcells called for a play action pass. The receiver downfield was covered so Simms threw it to the running back in the flat. Parcells jumped all over his a**. Asked Simms if he was worried about his completion percentage more than winning. Parcells called the play to take a shot downfield and dammit he wanted the ball to go downfield!!!

Simms said that attitude really eased the pressure off making mistakes since he knew that Parcells was oK with mistakes as long as he was aggressive in passing the ball.

I think this current Chiefs team should take note of that philosophy.

Dicky McElephant
09-10-2007, 11:36 AM
Can Huard get the ball down the field?

ChiefaRoo
09-10-2007, 11:36 AM
Bill Parcells = Arena Ball Coach

HemiEd
09-10-2007, 11:39 AM
Good post! I can't say for sure that football is the same, but I sure make better golf shots when I am relaxed and not tense.

Chan93lx50
09-10-2007, 11:42 AM
Bill Parcell's what does he know!

'Hamas' Jenkins
Good post! I can't say for sure that football is the same, but I sure make better golf shots when I am relaxed and not tense.

If Huard and Herm were golfers, they'd lay up on par 4's.

donkhater
If he can't, then get someone who can. I wonder if we have anyone on this team with enough arm strength to get the ball downfield? :hmmm:

Mr. Laz
09-10-2007, 11:45 AM
why all our QB's seem to get worse as they get coached more..........

donkhater
09-10-2007, 11:46 AM
Simms told another story on the same theme. He was watching a basketball game with a well-known NBA player and the point guard was having a good game distributing the ball and not turning it over. Simms mentioned this to the NBA player and he said that if he was coach he would be pissed if the point guard didn't have at least 2 turnovers.

His point was similar to Parcells. He would rather the point guard finish the game with 11 assists and 2-3 turnovers than 6 assists and 0 turnovers, becuase he would know that the point guard was playing on edge and just aggressiv enough to be productive but not so aggressive that he hurt the team.

HemiEd
09-10-2007, 11:46 AM
If Huard and Herm were golfers, they'd lay up on par 4's.

You mean par 3s right? ROFL

siberian khatru
09-10-2007, 11:47 AM
This all makes so much sense, my head hurts.

Calcountry
09-10-2007, 12:17 PM
If Huard and Herm were golfers, they'd lay up on par 4's.If Herm were a Tennis player, he would make sure his first service was in every time.

Calcountry
09-10-2007, 12:18 PM
If he can't, then get someone who can. I wonder if we have anyone on this team with enough arm strength to get the ball downfield? :hmmm:put a fork in us.

morphius
09-10-2007, 12:24 PM
If you are on your side of the field and throw an Int on a long pass well it goes as pretty much a punt. If that is a short pass, then it is points for the other team.

FringeNC
09-10-2007, 12:25 PM
I finished reading "Sunday Morning Quarterback" (reads likes sh!t but has some interesting things in it)

I come to a chapter about Parcells. Simms wrote that Parcells use to tell him things like, "If you don't throw for at least 2 interceptions today, I'm gonna be pissed." Meaning that, Parcells was looking for Simms to be aggressive downfield with the ball. Parcells could handle the turnovers as long as Simms was being agressive in his passing.

Simms relayed a moment from a practice. Parcells called for a play action pass. The receiver downfield was covered so Simms threw it to the running back in the flat. Parcells jumped all over his a**. Asked Simms if he was worried about his completion percentage more than winning. Parcells called the play to take a shot downfield and dammit he wanted the ball to go downfield!!!

Simms said that attitude really eased the pressure off making mistakes since he knew that Parcells was oK with mistakes as long as he was aggressive in passing the ball.

I think this current Chiefs team should take note of that philosophy.

Great post. Herm's level of risk-aversion all but guarantees an upside no higher than 10-6.

blsilks
09-10-2007, 12:29 PM
I say that one should be aggressive and when they make mistakes along the way then learn from those mistakes while staying aggressive and pretty soon they will stop making mistakes and become even better at being aggressive.

patteeu
09-10-2007, 12:38 PM
Something tells me that Bill Parcels wouldn't be very happy with a QB who threw 32 INTs in a season.

I think the best way to look at this might be that a good coach needs to know what to say to his players to get the most out of them. If your QB is overly cautious you might need to say something like this to him to get him to move a little closer to the edge and take some chances that should be taken. If you've got Jake Plummer as your QB, you might want to use a different approach though.

If Brodie Croyle is a natural risk taker, then I don't think his head coach should be encouraging him to take even more risks.

One size doesn't fit all.

Hoover
09-10-2007, 12:49 PM
He can when he has Eddie. I think losing Kennison after the first play really hurt Haurd.