PDA

View Full Version : Why were we so sharp for 10 plays, then TERRIBLE the rest of the time?

mcan
09-10-2007, 12:04 PM
Here is the answer.

Under Dick Vermeil and Al Saunders, Dick believed in long 3 hour practices and Al believed in being very meticulous and doing repetitions on offense until they had a certain play humming perfectly.

When Herm was hired the first thing he said at his press conference is that he doesn't like long practices, and didn't think they were benificial. The players didn't like them and the defense was "standing around" too much.

After Trent came back and had a notoriously bad game last year, during his press conference he said something along the lines of (paraphrased)

"Well, I want to be a good team mate here, but we have a lot of guys who aren't in the right spots. In fact, it's a different philosophy around here. We might have walked through some of these plays, but we're running stuff out there that... And you know, it's a different way of doing things... But, you know, we've never really run some of these plays at full speed, and so you have some, mostly the younger guys, but everybody can... Look, we're all adjusting to this and I have to adjust to it too..."

You could tell he was pissed off and frustrated and had made his mind up right there that he was going to try and get the hell out of dodge as soon as he could. Reading between the lines he basically was trying to voice his concern without throwing the coaching staff under the bus. I truly believe that we have some seriously talented people on this team, and that first drive is a glimpse of what we are capable of... I believe that Saunders had a REALLY good idea of what the best 80 offensive plays were going to be against a given opponent and that we ran those 80 plays that week until they were perfect. I think Solori and Herm are just as meticulous with the first drive because those are the "Scripted" plays that every coach does. But after that, we're running plays that players only know by name.

Rant over.

petegz28
09-10-2007, 12:19 PM
cause the other team made adjustment and we just kept doing the same old shit.

Chiefnj2
09-10-2007, 12:22 PM
Those were the 10 best plays that Welbourn mentioned earlier in the week.