PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Looked Unprepared

Count Zarth
09-10-2007, 01:46 PM
http://chiefs.scout.com/2/678055.html

Anyone who reads this column knows Iím a big fan of Chiefs head coach Herm Edwards. Today, you might expect me to urge patience (itís okaaaaay!) or offer excuses as to why his team floundered around the field at Reliant Stadium for the better part of 60 minutes Sunday.

Prepare to be shocked.

The truth is, there are no excuses. Edwards is far from perfect, and his fatal flaw was exposed by Gary Kubiakís energetic young bunch of Texans.

The Chiefs did not look ready to play. Edwards didnít have his team prepared for the regular season opener, and more often not, the same has been true every year heís coached an NFL team.

Letís take a look at Hermís history in season-opening games.

2001 Ė The New York Jets host the Indianapolis Colts, who blow them out 45-24.

2002 Ė The New York Jets visit the Buffalo Bills, and win, 37-31.

2003 Ė The New York Jets visit the Washington Redskins, and lose, 16-13.

2004 Ė The New York Jets host the Cincinatti Bengals, winning 31-24.

2005 Ė The New York Jets travel to Kansas City, where they get blown out, 27-7.

2006 Ė The Kansas City Chiefs lose their quarterback and the game, 23-10, to the Cincinnati Bengals.

Counting Sundayís debacle, thatís seven openers, a record of 2-5, and an average margin of defeat of 15 points. As Herm might say ďthatís not good.Ē

I believe, more often than not, Hermís teams arenít as prepared as they could be to open the regular season. Itís the only explanation for his consistent slow starts.

A year ago, the Chiefs tried to run the Dick Vermeil offense against the Bengals and failed miserably. It was soon thereafter scrapped (and wisely, I might add), but Edwards should have realized far sooner Ė in preseason Ė that his team had no hope of running a sophisticated passing attack with an emaciated Kyle Turley and future NFL sack king Jordan Black playing offensive tackle.

The gameplan the Chiefs ran most of last year? The one featuring heavy doses of Larry Johnson, bored fans, three yards and clouds of dust? It should have been installed from the beginning.

This year, the Chiefs seemed to want to almost apologize for their 2007 Cro-Magnon football attack in the opener. They came out throwing, dropping quarterback Damon Huard back on 13 of the gameís first 20 snaps.

When Eddie Kennison yanked a hamstring on the first play, the Chiefs should have abandoned their ďweíre sorry for giving Larry 400 carriesĒ campaign. Iím not suggesting Johnson should have received 35 carries against the Texans, but with a quarterback who had barely played in preseason, and an inexperienced wide receiver corps, the Chiefs should have split 40 carries between Johnson and Michael Bennett.

The Chiefs werenít prepared to run ďAir Herm.Ē When they fell behind, the Texans realized it, and the gig was up. ďAir HermĒ led to a Jeff Webb interception (the NFL should start crediting receivers with picks) that negated a chance for Kansas City to grab a field goal at the end of the first half, and a fumble by Kris Wilson that put the game out of reach. It also tired out KCís defense.

I was shaking my head over a number of odd things Sunday. I saw the Chiefs call a pass that involved two run fakes on third-and-12. I saw Ty Law release a streaking Andre Johnson to a safety making his first career NFL start. Kansas City's defensive gameplan should have revolved around doubling Johnson most of the game. Houston's other "playmakers" in the passing game are no-names.

Who looked prepared in Houston on Sunday? The Texans. Kubiakís squad gameplanned extensively in the preseason. That little empty backfield formation they ran against the Chiefs? If you watched Houstonís exhibition games, you saw it quite often.

Because of Hermís propensity to field unprepared teams early in the regular season, the Chiefs might never win a division championship. They might never gain a bye or home field advantage in the playoffs. Itís difficult to win a Super Bowl as a Cinderella wild-card team every year. A good story, perhaps, but difficult.

Look, the Chiefs are a better team than the one that showed up in the season opener. Itís clear the offensive line is improved (Damion McIntosh looked like a poor manís Willie Roaf in that #77 jersey), and Dwayne Bowe appears to be ready to contribute immediately. But the better team might not show up until itís too late.

With Chicago looming this weekend, an 0-2 record looks likely, and a trip to sunny, All-Pro laden San Diego lies further down the road. Can the Chiefs rebound from a 1-3 start? At least Herm has experience on his side in this scenario.

Chiefs tight end Tony Gonzalez said ďnobody knows who the Kansas City Chiefs areĒ after KCís fourth preseason loss.

Next year, it might help if the Kansas City Chiefs knew who the Kansas City Chiefs were in Week 1.

Molitoth
09-10-2007, 01:51 PM
Can the Chiefs rebound from a 1-3 start

Hah Sh*t! I bet they lose the home opener to the Vikings, have you seen thier Defense?

ct
09-10-2007, 01:51 PM
REPOST

ct
09-10-2007, 01:52 PM
Hah Sh*t! I bet they lose the home opener to the Vikings, have you seen thier Defense?

Their run D is awesome, pass D not so much. Doesn't help us at all, just sayin...

Chiefs Pantalones
09-10-2007, 01:53 PM
Have I mentioned that I hate Herm and Carl?

Fruit Ninja
09-10-2007, 01:54 PM
Their run D is awesome, pass D not so much. Doesn't help us at all, just sayin...
All i can say from the title no shit? The chiefs looked unprepared. Thats a captain obvious.

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-10-2007, 01:54 PM
You do realize that a corner releasing a WR to a safety is exactly the way that the Cover 2 was designed....right?

beach tribe
09-10-2007, 01:58 PM
I'm running out of homer juice.

ROYC75
09-10-2007, 02:00 PM
You mean we were playing for real yesterday ? You mean HBO wasn't running the show for us ?

Blah blah blah ........ preseason continues.......

NUMBER7
09-10-2007, 02:06 PM

Have you seen their offense? AP had over 185 total yards on the road in Atlanta's noisy dome.

Taco John
09-10-2007, 02:07 PM
How does a person go from "Germ Warfare" to being Herms biggest fan?

ChiefsCountry
09-10-2007, 02:09 PM
Have you seen their offense? AP had over 185 total yards on the road in Atlanta's noisy dome.

Last time I checked the Falcons dont have VIKINGS written in their endzone.

ROYC75
09-10-2007, 02:09 PM

Me was wondering this too ?

Rausch
09-10-2007, 02:19 PM

JW-Journalism.

Stir the pot and fling whatever stinks the most on the crowd. After it fails to raise a stink look for new pot to stir...

Count Zarth
09-10-2007, 02:22 PM

The guy won me over. I flew off the handle when he was hired.

Donger
09-10-2007, 02:24 PM

Ironically, your first impression may have been correct all along.

htismaqe
09-10-2007, 02:27 PM

Money talks.

htismaqe
09-10-2007, 02:27 PM

That, and the fact that you got a job with the biggest Chiefs ass-kisser in KC...

Brock
09-10-2007, 02:29 PM

Yeah, well, he sucks. He's beyond lame.

Count Zarth
09-10-2007, 02:30 PM
That, and the fact that you got a job with the biggest Chiefs ass-kisser in KC...

It has nothing to do with that. I wouldn't allow myself to be censored. I call 'em like I see 'em.

Molitoth
09-10-2007, 02:59 PM

The Vikings were at home. Hence I sat my FF bears defence at Sandy Eggo and Started the Vikings D vs the shitty falcons.

Count Zarth
09-10-2007, 03:01 PM
Adrian Peterson is making me envious of Viking fans.....yesterday when he scored that long TD, Minnesota's play by play announcer went absolutely nuts. He was screaming the guy's name.

NUMBER7
09-10-2007, 03:07 PM

I'm bad...:doh!:...I should never try to post on a Monday while trying to work.

King_Chief_Fan
09-10-2007, 03:14 PM
GoWhatever-
I was fully prepared to read some gobbly gook about how this is only game one and that Herm knows what he is doing.........plus adding the fact that since 2002, the Chiefs are 4-13 in the month of September.

Most pleased to see that you took Herms things off your chin.

When do you restart the movement to exorcise this demon out of KC?

Count Zarth
09-10-2007, 03:16 PM
When do you restart the movement to exorcise this demon out of KC?

I'll leave the heavy lifting up to Whitlock. :D

dirk digler
09-10-2007, 03:22 PM
The reason why they are unprepared because Herm doesn't do jack shit with his starters in the pre-season.

That has been the knock on Herm since he has been a head coach.

Skip Towne
09-10-2007, 03:24 PM
Herm acknowledged his existence during training camp and immediately became a great coach. Kind of a KCJ-care package deal.

Count Zarth
09-10-2007, 03:24 PM
The reason why they are unprepared because Herm doesn't do jack shit with his starters in the pre-season.

I'd be interested to hear what Bill Parcells has to say about this.

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-10-2007, 03:30 PM

Well that and he can't discipline his players, can't maintain their respect, gets too buddy buddy with them, does'nt know x's and o's, has no concept of offense, and only adopts a defensive scheme that his mentor used with great success due to the personnel he had running it.
We can add that to his clock management retardation, the fact that he throws everyone under the bus but himself, and the fact that he is completely and utterly full of shit.

Those would probably be the knocks.

King_Chief_Fan
09-10-2007, 03:32 PM

Parcells laughs his ass off when he sees the Chiefs play.

Parcells wants a team that is agressive and takes things down the field.
He can live with INT's when the QB is being agressive instead of stupid.

Believe me, Herm is no Parcells.

Mecca
09-10-2007, 03:34 PM
I've had enough of Herm already....Right now I think they're legit looking at a possible 0-7.

Count Zarth
09-10-2007, 03:36 PM
Parcells laughs his ass off when he sees the Chiefs play.

Parcells wants a team that is agressive and takes things down the field.
He can live with INT's when the QB is being agressive instead of stupid.

Believe me, Herm is no Parcells.

I'm talking about the POSTER named BP. Not the retired coach who failed miserably in Dallas.

Count Zarth
09-10-2007, 03:36 PM
I've had enough of Herm already....Right now I think they're legit looking at a possible 0-7.

ROFL

I love this board....we'll be about .500 at the break. Too many games at Arrowhead.

Mecca
09-10-2007, 03:37 PM
LOL, Arrowhead is not going to save this team this year.

Who they gonna beat to be 500? Cincy is a home game they're gonna ass rape us, they'll be lucky to beat Minnesota.

Simply Red
09-10-2007, 03:38 PM

Sounds like Mecca to me.

Good job at you being you.

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-10-2007, 03:40 PM
If Arrowhead gets this team to .500, it's officially a bigger home field advantage than the Russian winter.

Count Zarth
09-10-2007, 03:40 PM
LOL, Arrowhead is not going to save this team this year.

Who they gonna beat to be 500? Cincy is a home game they're gonna ass rape us, they'll be lucky to beat Minnesota.

People were saying the same garbage last year when we got our ass handed to us...AT HOME...against the Bengals.

I fully expect us to start 1-3, then rip off three straight wins to get to 4-3 at the break. Everyone will be in high spirits (except Parker).

We'll win two more games at home to get to 6-3. PARTY TIME IN KANSAS CITY! Then the Colts assrape us. 6-4. Parker continues bitching.

We'll split the remaining 6 games and finish at....NINE AND SEVEN!

King_Chief_Fan
09-10-2007, 03:41 PM
I'm talking about the POSTER named BP. Not the retired coach who failed miserably in Dallas.

his credentials are far and beyond more than Herms will ever be.

Mecca
09-10-2007, 03:42 PM
Getting beat by the Bengals to open the year is one thing, this is the damn Texans here. The Texans were one of the easier games on the schedule....

3 straight wins LOL......you realize you just picked us to beat San Diego on the road, talk about homer kool-aid.

Count Zarth
09-10-2007, 03:43 PM
3 straight wins LOL......you realize you just picked us to beat San Diego on the road, talk about homer kool-aid.

I picked us to lose to SD. 1-3 start.

Bill Parcells
09-10-2007, 03:45 PM
I'm actually getting a little tired of talking about Herm, can you believe that?

The cat's already out of the bag, any sane Chiefs fan already knows what kind of a dumb **** you guys have as a Head Coach.

Mecca
09-10-2007, 03:46 PM
Ok so you picked Jacksonville, Cincy and Oakland as the 3 straight.......they won't be Cincy...probably not Jacksonville either....

The team isn't good enough to win 3 in a row, they might be lucky to win 4 for the entire year.

Count Zarth
09-10-2007, 03:47 PM
Ok so you picked Jacksonville, Cincy and Oakland as the 3 straight.......they won't be Cincy...probably not Jacksonville either....

I think our defense is going to ravage people at Arrowhead. Right now Cincy's o-line looks like it's in no shape to protect Carson...

And I'll never pick a black quarterback to win at Arrowhead...

Mecca
09-10-2007, 03:49 PM
Keep thinkin what you want but this team is BAD if you can score 20 which Cincy will do you'll beat the Chiefs.

HemiEd
09-10-2007, 03:49 PM

The game was in Minnesota.

HemiEd
09-10-2007, 03:50 PM

Kind of reminds me of your Jake Plummer fandom.

Count Zarth
09-10-2007, 03:52 PM
Keep thinkin what you want but this team is BAD if you can score 20 which Cincy will do you'll beat the Chiefs.

Do you remember how most of this board felt after the Steelers destroyed us last year? NO ONE, including ME, gave us a chance to beat the Chargers.

We did. There's too much damn talent on this team for us to be 5-11. We'll be competitive this year...we're just getting off to a slow start, as we did last year.

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-10-2007, 03:52 PM
And I'll never pick a black quarterback to win at Arrowhead...

WTF??

ROFL

NUMBER7
09-10-2007, 03:53 PM
The game was in Minnesota.

Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry
Last time I checked the Falcons dont have VIKINGS written in their endzone. <HR SIZE=1>
I'm bad...:doh!:...I should never try to post on a Monday while trying to work.

:rolleyes:

Mecca
09-10-2007, 03:54 PM
I like how he's trumping the talent card as we got beat by Houston. Pittsburgh is a good team, Cincy is a good team Houston is not. There is a stark difference in getting embarassed by those teams compared to Houston.

The Chiefs are not this heavily gifted overly talented team, you can't score you will lose. They will not run on Minnesota not with that line, Peterson is a monster behind a very good run blocking line...the Chiefs will have a hard time with them.

Mecca
09-10-2007, 03:55 PM
WTF??

ROFL

Don't worry Tavaris Jackson will win here and he'll have nothing to say.

htismaqe
09-10-2007, 03:56 PM
I'm actually getting a little tired of talking about Herm, can you believe that?

The cat's already out of the bag, any sane Chiefs fan already knows what kind of a dumb **** you guys have as a Head Coach.

I'm sorry I ever doubted you.

OctoberFart
All Herm has done in his career is taken two solid teams (when he took over) and turned them upside down. Did I mention Herm is a sh!tty coach?

'Hamas' Jenkins
I'm just wondering how that Warren Moon guy did at Arrowhead.....

Count Zarth
09-10-2007, 03:57 PM

He's white inside...

Mecca
09-10-2007, 03:57 PM

He obviously doesn't count...

Count Zarth
09-10-2007, 03:59 PM
Seriously. Warren Moon doesn't even enjoy rap music.

Mecca
09-10-2007, 04:00 PM
He's still black.....don't worry a couple will win here this year so it's not a big deal.

Count Zarth
09-10-2007, 04:10 PM
Seriously, the Chiefs floundered around for two games last year before they got on track...people were jumping off the bandwagon in droves when we lost in Denver...

Calcountry
09-10-2007, 04:22 PM
How does a person go from "Germ Warfare" to being Herms biggest fan?I was thinking the same thing. Perhaps the only explanation is that that was Gochiefs, and this is Clayton Wendler.

Micjones
09-10-2007, 05:25 PM
I was just thinking this over this morning.
His pre-season philosophy just isn't conducive to coming out of the gate strong in the regular season.