PDA

View Full Version : Do u need a passport to vacation int he bahamas?

percysnow
09-10-2007, 03:59 PM
? I think they just changed it not sure though. .

Stinger
09-10-2007, 04:01 PM
? I think they just changed it not sure though. .

I believe that is only if you fly in and that is till the end of the year. If you are on a cruise I believe you still have till the end of the year.

As early as January 1, 2008, ALL persons, including U.S. citizens, traveling between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, and Bermuda by land or sea (including ferries), may be required to present a valid passport or other documents as determined by the Department of Homeland Security. While recent legislative changes permit a later deadline, the Departments of State and Homeland Security are working to meet all requirements as soon as possible. Ample advance notice will be provided to enable the public to obtain passports or passport cards for land/sea entries.

percysnow
09-10-2007, 04:08 PM
cool thanks. . so basically a cruise is good. .

Stinger
09-10-2007, 04:10 PM

Don't take my word for it call a your travel or booking agent agent to get the offical ruling. But I believe that is correct.

GarySpFc
09-10-2007, 04:25 PM

We went to the Bahamas a couple of years ago on a cruise, and we definately needed a passport.

Mr. Laz
09-10-2007, 04:29 PM
i wouldn't take any chances ...... get one.

Spott
09-10-2007, 04:31 PM
I just went on a cruise to the Bahamas in January and we didn't need a passport. If you do go, don't get off the beaten path and don't pay attention to the locals that will openly try to sell you drugs and a "good" time with a woman.

blueballs
09-10-2007, 04:53 PM
If the procedure wasn't okay with MDA
your probably risking your life

BucEyedPea
09-10-2007, 05:04 PM
I went in September 2005 and only a birth certificate was needed.
But I was told they were planning of making passports required a year from then. Check it out with some official source.

Bill Parcells
09-10-2007, 05:10 PM
Good luck trying to get one now. there's a 6 month waiting list for passports.

beach tribe
09-10-2007, 05:14 PM
The rules have changed. You must have one.

I travel all over the world for work.Went to the Bahamas in April.

Got my Passport in 9 days. Got it expidited $160.

Going to Hamburg Germany next week, and Amsterdam in November :p

88TG88
09-10-2007, 05:15 PM
I went there on a cruise and you do need a passport. Theres not much to see outside of the hotels. But the beaches are really nice

Bwana
09-10-2007, 05:18 PM
Yes you do.

percysnow
09-10-2007, 05:18 PM
damn i wanted to just hop a flight. . no biggie. . Thanks for all the info. . Guess Ill just do amsterdam and wait. . My passport expired last year. . i will pay the $160 to get it expedited. .whats the best way?. . post office still doing it?

Fairplay
09-10-2007, 05:20 PM
If you do go, don't get off the beaten path and don't pay attention to the locals that will openly try to sell you drugs and a "good" time with a woman.

Party pooper.

beach tribe
09-10-2007, 05:21 PM
damn i wanted to just hop a flight. . no biggie. . My passport expired last year. . i will pay the 160 to get it expedited. .whats the best way?. . post office still doing it?
Post office doesn't do around here anymore.

I got mine at city hall in a town called Tamarac outside FT. Lauderdale.

wutamess
09-10-2007, 05:22 PM
We went to the Bahamas a couple of years ago on a cruise, and we definately needed a passport.

:BS:
I just went in June...
Didn't need passport.
However, 08 you WILL need one.

wutamess
09-10-2007, 05:25 PM
I just went on a cruise to the Bahamas in January and we didn't need a passport. If you do go, don't get off the beaten path and don't pay attention to the locals that will openly try to sell you drugs and a "good" time with a woman.

Guy on our cruise gave one of the locals $60 for what he thought was a quarter oz of sticky. it was an empty brown paper bag with some grass in it.

What/who was he going to tell?

beach tribe
09-10-2007, 05:31 PM
AS of OCT 1st 2007, all will need passport to travel outside the US.

KC Dan
09-10-2007, 05:34 PM
beach tribe is correct. see link:

http://www.bahamas.com/bahamas/about/entryrequirements.aspx

Simplex3
09-10-2007, 05:38 PM
Good luck trying to get one now. there's a 6 month waiting list for passports.
I got one expedited in under three weeks less than a year ago. It costs an extra $30 or something.

Also, I wouldn't leave the US without one. You're one nasty coup or bogus drug bust away from not coming home for months.

beach tribe
09-10-2007, 05:38 PM
Basically you can apply for it and use your reciept and ID.

No need for expiditing $120

CoMoChief
09-10-2007, 05:40 PM
US Virgin Islands - NO

British Virgin Islands - YES, just went there a year ago.

Spott
09-10-2007, 05:41 PM
Guy on our cruise gave one of the locals $60 for what he thought was a quarter oz of sticky. it was an empty brown paper bag with some grass in it.

What/who was he going to tell?

This guy on our cruise bought some drugs while in the Bahamas and was dumb enough to bring it back on board with him. When we got back to the port in Jacksonville, the drug sniffing dogs went nuts and they arrested the guy. If someone's going to try that, they at least better use what they bought on the ship.

TN_Chief
09-10-2007, 05:42 PM
You now need a passport. You do not need a visa (not the credit card, the immigration thing).

TN_Chief
09-10-2007, 05:44 PM
I got one expedited in under three weeks less than a year ago. It costs an extra $30 or something.That wouldn't happen now. The new rule...that you must have a passport to get back into the country...has created a gigantic backlog. Last I heard (about a month ago) even the expedited passports were taking 3-4 weeks. In fact I think they were talking about stopping the whole "expedited" thing for awhile, hoping to catch up.

Smed1065
09-10-2007, 05:45 PM
damn i wanted to just hop a flight. . no biggie. . Thanks for all the info. . Guess Ill just do amsterdam and wait. . My passport expired last year. . i will pay the $160 to get it expedited. .whats the best way?. . post office still doing it?

I went in to the Bahamas in June and you had to have a receipt for a passport if the passport was not received. I went to the courthouse and had mine in 2 weeks, expedited.

Everyone else in Atlanta was complaining they was waiting 6-8 weeks. (even expedited)

beach tribe
09-10-2007, 06:01 PM
That wouldn't happen now. The new rule...that you must have a passport to get back into the country...has created a gigantic backlog. Last I heard (about a month ago) even the expedited passports were taking 3-4 weeks. In fact I think they were talking about stopping the whole "expedited" thing for awhile, hoping to catch up.
That's what they told me when I applied for mine. 9 days.

TN_Chief
09-10-2007, 06:03 PM
That's what they told me when I applied for mine. 9 days.That's good man. But I given what I've been hearing, I don't think I'd bet on that kind of speed. You were the exception, not the rule.

beach tribe
09-10-2007, 06:05 PM
That's good man. But I given what I've been hearing, I don't think I'd bet on that kind of speed. You were the exception, not the rule.
More than likely.

Bill Parcells
09-10-2007, 06:07 PM
That wouldn't happen now. The new rule...that you must have a passport to get back into the country...has created a gigantic backlog. Last I heard (about a month ago) even the expedited passports were taking 3-4 weeks. In fact I think they were talking about stopping the whole "expedited" thing for awhile, hoping to catch up.
Correct, the state department is 6 months behind in processing this shit because of sooo many applications.

BucEyedPea
09-10-2007, 06:36 PM
I dunno about that. I was gonna get a passport before I went to the Bahamas in 2005 but there was a backlog of several months which wasn't enough so I used a bc.

Dunit35
09-10-2007, 06:44 PM
so, we're going to Cancun in May. When should we apply for ours?

TN_Chief
09-10-2007, 06:46 PM
I dunno about that. I was gonna get a passport before I went to the Bahamas in 2005 but there was a backlog of several months which wasn't enough so I used a bc.The "you gotta have a passport" thing just went into effect earlier this year. I've been out of the country twice in the last 4 months...trust me, you now need one. Even for Canada and Mexico (common borders).

Saulbadguy
09-10-2007, 07:01 PM
I just sent in our application, I need it by March 21st. Think I will get it in time?

beach tribe
09-10-2007, 07:03 PM
so, we're going to Cancun in May. When should we apply for ours?
Sooner the better.

beach tribe
09-10-2007, 07:03 PM
I just sent in our application, I need it by March 21st. Think I will get it in time?
Absolutely