PDA

View Full Version : Dustin Colquitt's take on Medlock/Dave Rayner

Count Zarth
09-10-2007, 08:56 PM
http://chiefs.scout.com/2/678219.html

It was one of those games you've got to get up for. Itís the Houston Texans, and they just made a big move in the offseason and got Matt Schaub down there.

He actually happens to be a decent friend of mine. I met him through my roommate in college. Heís a great guy, I talked to him before the game.

But anyway, we went down there and I think we got caught up in the preseason kinda deal again, and it just didnít work out. I think our offense was running well, we just had a couple ofÖany time you turn the ball over four times in a game, especially on the road youíre going to lose in the National Football League. The offenses just know how to take advantage of that opportunity, the short field or whatever it may be.

Mario Williams, I think he was a little bit more highly criticized last year for his play, and he was really trying to stand out as a number one draft pick. He had two sacks and a fumble recovery for a touchdown. From that point on, they milked the clock well, they had one of those 11-minute drives that actually took all the air out of our sails. Thatís just kind of how the day went for us.

Itís tough losing a player like Justin Medlock. The reality is not everyone is going to make it. You know, you make friends with these guys and all of a sudden theyíre gone. Itís weird now, because you canít call him. Some of my best friends are gone, like Marc Boerigter and Shawn Barber, who I saw in Houston on Sunday. You get really close. But you have to work so hard because you canít feel like youíre on eggshells. It becomes an obsession. Thatís why coaches work so many hours.

This is now my third training camp and thatís how the NFL operates. One of the things my dad told me, in his Pittsburgh days he learned early in college, you get second and third opportunities. Somebody else comes in for you, they donít do very well, then you go back in. In the National Football League, itís different, because if you canít do it, theyíre going to go out and find somebody the next day to fill your spot. If you wore 85, somebody else has 85 on that very next day.

Basically what happened today was that. Preseason was good in a sense that Justin was missing some field goals, but it was only preseason, and those are forgiven. But once you get to the season, you have an offense that goes down and drives down on a good Houston Texans team, 76 yards down the field, and you come up short on getting points on a 30-yard field goal, somethingís kind of got to give.

I think he was making strides to get better, he had kind of gotten a little bit better mentally, but thatís just how it kind of fell into place. He was pushing it left and we canít have that again. If we do that again in Chicago, we go down and itís a close game, especially with how weíre playing right nowÖthereís going to be close games. When you have a good defense like us, and an offense that can move the ball, youíve got to have a great field goal kicker, and thatís something that had to be changed.

My perspective on the new guy, Dave Rayner, I know him pretty good, he was my roommate for the Indianapolis combine in í05 before I got drafted up here to Kansas City. Heís kicked in a lot of places that are tough places to kick. He was from Michigan State and thatís a lot of tough weather to kick in. Youíre kicking obviously at Michigan, youíre kicking at Notre Dame, which is high grass, which is always hard on a field goal kicker. This past year he kicked for Green Bay, which is one place Iím very thankful Iím not at, because it has to be hard kicking in that kind of weather, but heís a great kicker.

He made a very good impression on a lot of coaches obviously when he was drafted. He went to Indianapolis in í05 and kicked off for them and now heís getting an opportunity here. What coach Priefer told me was that when they brought him in, we had six kickers in on Monday, and then we decided to bring in Dave Rayner on a Tuesday to work him out. I think he had the best workout of them all. He has a great kickoff leg, which lasts throughout the season.

You watch some of the balls he hit in Green Bay last year, and heís getting inside the five and hitting the goal line and one yard deep in November and December in Green Bay, and thatís something that we really need for our coverage units. I think heís going to be a good addition. Heís one of those guys that he doesnít have that typical kicker mentality. Heís like ďLook. Iím the guy, Iím gonna make sure that I always put my coverage units in a good situation.Ē Heís got a great personality and good character as well.

Colquittís Coffin Corner appears every Tuesday during the regular season exclusively at Warpaintillustrated.com.

Deberg_1990
09-10-2007, 09:01 PM
If Rayners so good why did Green Bay let him go??

Fruit Ninja
09-10-2007, 09:16 PM
They had the rookie and he did very well as well. 1 of them had to go.

Deberg_1990
09-10-2007, 09:17 PM
They had the rookie and he did very well as well. 1 of them had to go.

They drafted Crosby right?? There had to be a REASON they drafted a kicker??

HolmeZz
09-10-2007, 09:18 PM
They had the rookie and he did very well as well.

Oh, the guy we could've had instead of Rayner or Medlock.

Rain Man
09-10-2007, 09:20 PM
It's always the punters who suffer in a divorce.

Smed1065
09-10-2007, 09:27 PM
Field Goals Made/Attempted 26/36

I believe he was 0/1 in his first try as well.

Phobia
09-10-2007, 09:53 PM
I would totally pay for this kind of access.

KurtCobain
09-10-2007, 10:01 PM
Colquitt is an amazing writer.

CoMoChief
09-10-2007, 10:32 PM
They drafted Crosby right?? There had to be a REASON they drafted a kicker??
Well more than likely he's just no more than an avg kicker coming off of the streets. Mason Crosby is one of the best NFL kicker prospects to come out of college in a while.

Count Zarth
09-10-2007, 10:32 PM
Colquitt is an amazing writer.

You have no idea.

HolmeZz
09-10-2007, 10:38 PM
Colquitt puts Clayton to shame. But then again, who doesn't?

Count Zarth
09-10-2007, 10:38 PM
Colquitt puts Clayton to shame. But then again, who doesn't?

You're making me cry.

KurtCobain
09-10-2007, 10:40 PM
Suddenly this article sucks.

Ultra Peanut
09-10-2007, 10:41 PM
If we do that again in Chicago, we go down and itís a close gameOh, Dustin. Keep dreaming.

HypnotizedMonkey
09-10-2007, 10:48 PM
that was quick! They should let Colquitt placekick and long-snap as well as punt. I heard he saved a baby from a bus that had turned over.

wasted pick

Logical
09-10-2007, 11:01 PM
Anybody notice how no one talks about our inability to score TDs, would it be such a big deal if we could score TDs?

evolve27
09-10-2007, 11:08 PM
Anybody notice how no one talks about our inability to score TDs, would it be such a big deal if we could score TDs?

12 more days till we score our first TD, till then all we got is our kicker to lead us to the promiseland.

boogblaster
09-10-2007, 11:55 PM
Kick the ball through the up-rights ....

huskerdooz
09-11-2007, 03:04 AM

Because they drafted the rookie kicker that everyone except the Chiefs had rated as the best kicker in the draft.

Dammit Carl!!!!! :banghead: :banghead:

Deberg_1990
09-11-2007, 07:19 AM
Because they drafted the rookie kicker that everyone except the Chiefs had rated as the best kicker in the draft.

Once again proving my point. Teams dont just draft kickers unless its truly a NEED position. Just like the Chiefs drafted Medlock for a reason. Theres something about Rayner the Pack didnt like.

Oh well, considering our situation, beggars cant be much of choosers at this point.

Ultra Peanut
09-11-2007, 07:33 AM
Because they drafted the rookie kicker that everyone except the Chiefs had rated as the best kicker in the draft.Except the Chiefs and, you know, that other team that drafted a different kicker before Crosby was off the board.

Once again proving my point. Teams dont just draft kickers unless its truly a NEED position. Just like the Chiefs drafted Medlock for a reason. Theres something about Rayner the Pack didnt like. Successful teams never draft kickers...

http://i6.tinypic.com/6hcror6.jpg

Tribal Warfare
09-11-2007, 07:44 AM
Once again proving my point. Teams dont just draft kickers unless its truly a NEED position. Just like the Chiefs drafted Medlock for a reason. Theres something about Rayner the Pack didnt like.

They drafted Crosby that's why

InChiefsHell
09-11-2007, 07:53 AM
If Medlock had been here back in the days when we would you know...score touchdowns and what have you...he would still be on the roster and we could live with his growing pains. Since our kicker will be our scoring machine this season (at least for a few weeks till we maybe get our shite together) he's gotta be perfect. This new kid can't afford to make one mistake. That's gotta be a tough spot to be in...