PDA

View Full Version : Walter Football: And the Chiefs continue to fail at life.

Direckshun
09-10-2007, 10:21 PM
http://www.walterfootball.com/topstory.php

Chief Carl Has Lost a Step

Let's go back three weeks. I was sitting on my couch, with this very computer on the coffee table in front of me. In my hand was a hammer that I was continuously bashing into my skull because I foolishly laid points with Herman Edwards. The Chiefs lost to the Dolphins, 11-10, but I'm not using this space on my Web site to complain about the money I flushed down the toilet. I've done that enough over the years.

Instead, I'm going to flash back to a conversation Chiefs general manager Carl Peterson had in the booth with Mike Tirico, Tony Kornheiser and Ron Jaworski. Peterson was gushing over Brodie Croyle, who had just thrown a 21-yard touchdown in the second quarter. Jaworski, meanwhile, was batting his eyes at Peterson, boasting about how horrible Kansas City was prior to his arrival. I have to give Jaws credit for not giving the general manager a love sonnet he had written for him that was tucked away in his jacket pocket.

Peterson left the booth, Croyle threw an ugly interception and struggled the rest of the preseason, Damon Huard was named the starter, Edwards orchestrated a bizarre NFL fashion show for kids that Deion Sanders apparently enjoyed, and the Chiefs were completely embarrassed by the Houston Texans in the first week of the NFL campaign, 20-3. Not a good start for one of the NFL's proudest franchises.

When things look bleak, especially when millions of dollars are involved, someone has to take the blame. And someone has to give it. As you can probably guess, I'm calling out Peterson.

To be fair, I have to mention the positive moves he has made over the years. He found Priest Holmes when no one else wanted him. He had the foresight to draft Larry Johnson when he already had Holmes. He put together a prolific front that included Willie Roaf, Will Shields and Tony Gonzalez. However, that's all in the past. I feel as though Peterson has lost a step.

My biggest gripe with some of the recent acquisitions he has made - or lack thereof - is that he has failed to replace some of the former Pro Bowl linemen who have retired. Roaf has become the lackluster Damion McIntosh. Shields is now the inept John Welbourn. Right tackle John Tait, who left for the Bears a few years ago, hasn't been replaced either. Am I shocked Mario Williams was able to dominate Kansas City's offensive front? You tell me.

Another thing I can't quite understand is Peterson's infatuation with his mediocre receivers. Eddie Kennison, who has been the Chiefs' No. 1 wide out for years, has been, and always will be nothing more than a secondary option. Peterson finally drafted a receiver in the first round, Dwayne Bowe, a move which was about five years overdue because Samie Parker has inexplicably started for what seems like eight decades. I can't think of another organization that would have Parker on its team, much less its starting lineup. And who is Jeff Webb? That guy, whoever he is, was responsible for a fumble returned for a touchdown on Sunday.

And speaking of players who wouldn't be able to make the cut elsewhere, how many more years do the Chiefs plan on having a defense that can't tackle? The cupboard isn't bare on the stop unit, as Jared Allen and Tamba Hali are stars, but there have been way too many bust signings and draft picks.

As Peterson stood in the booth next to the rosy-cheeked Jaworski, he explained how he was doing everything in his power to get Larry Johnson into camp. Peterson fulfilled his promise, but vastly overpaid Johnson, who wasn't able to carry the load against the Texans because he was out of shape after a summer of just sitting on his couch and spending the money he hadn't obtained yet. Johnson carried the ball just 10 times for 43 yards. And I'm not sure if he wasn't able to break a run of longer than eight yards on Houston's beleaguered defense because of his own lethargy or the ineptness of his offensive line.

I'm not really sure which, so I'll just keep on blaming Peterson. I guess you can say he's responsible for both.

[...]

EXTRA POINTS

Kansas City Chiefs: Not to pile on Carl Peterson, but his rookie kicker Justin Medlock missed from 30 in the first quarter. Peterson took Medlock over Mason Crosby, the higher-rated kicker in the draft whom the Chiefs passed over. Crosby nailed a 53-yarder against the Eagles.

[...]

Houston Texans: When the Texans upset the Dolphins to start 1-0 in 2003, it was a fluke. Houston's 20-3 victory over the beleaguered Chiefs, however, definitely wasn't. Mario Williams dominated Kansas City's weak offensive front, while Matt Schaub looked very impressive, completing 16-of-22 passes for 225 yards. Andre Johnson caught seven passes for 142 yards and a score.

Coach
09-10-2007, 10:24 PM
I agree everything this douche said, except the overpaid LJ.

LJ wasn't overpaid, you douche!

Mecca
09-10-2007, 10:25 PM
He's basically right........I wouldn't have paid LJ so I'll even agree with that.

Count Zarth
09-10-2007, 10:25 PM
And who is Jeff Webb? That guy, whoever he is, was responsible for a fumble returned for a touchdown on Sunday.

ERROR! ERROR!

Peterson fulfilled his promise, but vastly overpaid Johnson, who wasn't able to carry the load against the Texans because he was out of shape after a summer of just sitting on his couch and spending the money he hadn't obtained yet.

IGNORANT! IGNORANT!

Mecca
09-10-2007, 10:27 PM
Sure he messed up but Jeff Webb did **** up in the game.....if he had gotten it right Kris Wilson would have been added for ****ing up.

Ultra Peanut
09-10-2007, 10:36 PM
It's all Medlock's fault.

mikey23545
09-10-2007, 10:47 PM
When, in the first paragraph, the author admitted to being retarded enough to bet on a preseason game, I lost interest in this drivel.