PDA

View Full Version : Water Power

tiptap
09-11-2007, 06:26 AM
An Erie cancer researcher has found a way to burn salt water, a novel invention that is being touted by one chemist as the "most remarkable" water science discovery in a century.

John Kanzius happened upon the discovery accidentally when he tried to desalinate seawater with a radio-frequency generator he developed to treat cancer. He discovered that as long as the salt water was exposed to the radio frequencies, it would burn.

The discovery has scientists excited by the prospect of using salt water, the most abundant resource on earth, as a fuel.

Rustum Roy, a Penn State University chemist, has held demonstrations at his State College lab to confirm his own observations.

The radio frequencies act to weaken the bonds between the elements that make up salt water, releasing the hydrogen, Roy said. Once ignited, the hydrogen will burn as long as it is exposed to the frequencies, he said.

The discovery is "the most remarkable in water science in 100 years," Roy said.

"This is the most abundant element in the world. It is everywhere," Roy said. "Seeing it burn gives me the chills."

Roy will meet this week with officials from the Department of Energy and the Department of Defense to try to obtain research funding.

The scientists want to find out whether the energy output from the burning hydrogen which reached a heat of more than 3,000 degrees Fahrenheit would be enough to power a car or other heavy machinery.

"We will get our ideas together and check this out and see where it leads," Roy said. "The potential is huge."

http://www.sfgate.com/flat/archive/2007/09/10/news/archive/2007/09/10/national/a143537D00.html

Delano
09-11-2007, 06:28 AM
Quick stupid question for you: How much power does the RF generator require to operate?

tiptap
09-11-2007, 06:29 AM
If the energy used to generate the radio frequency isn't higher than that seen in burning the Hydrogen produced in the process than this could be a source for fuel. Even if that isn't so this could be a novel way to generate Hydrogen for use without having to store Hydrogen just salt water. Energy from renewable sources could generate the Hydrogen on site.

Bob Dole
09-11-2007, 06:52 AM
Quick stupid question for you: How much power does the RF generator require to operate?

Skeptics propose that the process would consume more energy than it would create, and Kanzius has admitted that this is currently the case, however the specifics of the process are still unreleased while Kanzius applies for a patent.

Source (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Kanzius)

cdcox
09-11-2007, 06:54 AM
I saw a video of this a few months ago and suspected it migh be a hoax. However, Rustum Roy is a very resected scientist. The energy efficiency question is still there, but regardless, this is a very interesting find.

HonestChieffan
09-11-2007, 06:58 AM
Nancy Pelosi will oppose it on the grounds that the oceans may be set afire.

cdcox
09-11-2007, 07:02 AM
I hate big water.

InChiefsHell
09-11-2007, 07:10 AM
Nancy Pelosi will oppose it on the grounds that the oceans may be set afire.

Either that, or it will be a huge crisis that we are depleting our oceans!!! Dear God, the humanity!! :rolleyes:

HonestChieffan
09-11-2007, 07:15 AM
I f the ocean caught fire, would you put it out by throwing trees on it?

InChiefsHell
09-11-2007, 07:25 AM
I f the ocean caught fire, would you put it out by throwing trees on it?

ROFL Yes. Yes you would...

morphius
09-11-2007, 08:00 AM
I hate big water.
So do I... ugh

http://youtube.com/watch?v=wHOFzhyQGwA

kepp
09-11-2007, 08:18 AM
Just one more benefit of saline-based breast implants.

HonestChieffan
09-11-2007, 08:19 AM
No more pissin on the fire and callin the dogs

Donger
09-11-2007, 08:20 AM
A little birdy tells me that this is real...

http://www.cnn.com/2007/TECH/09/07/electric.car.batteries.ap/index.html

AUSTIN, Texas (AP) -- Millions of inventions pass quietly through the U.S. patent office each year. Patent No. 7,033,406 did, too, until energy insiders spotted six words in the filing that sounded like a death knell for the internal combustion engine.

An Austin-based startup called EEStor promised "technologies for replacement of electrochemical batteries," meaning a motorist could plug in a car for five minutes and drive 500 miles roundtrip between Dallas and Houston without gasoline.

KC-TBB
09-11-2007, 08:29 AM
Investment alert! Take your money from Duracell and buy EEStor!

morphius
09-11-2007, 08:48 AM
A little birdy tells me that this is real...

http://www.cnn.com/2007/TECH/09/07/electric.car.batteries.ap/index.html

AUSTIN, Texas (AP) -- Millions of inventions pass quietly through the U.S. patent office each year. Patent No. 7,033,406 did, too, until energy insiders spotted six words in the filing that sounded like a death knell for the internal combustion engine.

An Austin-based startup called EEStor promised "technologies for replacement of electrochemical batteries," meaning a motorist could plug in a car for five minutes and drive 500 miles roundtrip between Dallas and Houston without gasoline.
They have been pretty quite with their technology, and the one vehicle that I heard was going to use it was nothing more then a glorified golf cart with very limited speed.

I'm hoping it works out, as electric is my power of choice, but we will have to see.

Chief Chief
09-11-2007, 08:54 AM
So with the icecaps melting due to global warming, we'll have even more saltwater to burn into energy.

Take THAT, Al Gore!

Frazod
09-11-2007, 09:01 AM
I assume one of Donger's pals will arrange for this guy to have an accident....

Donger
09-11-2007, 09:04 AM
I assume one of Donger's pals will arrange for this guy to have an accident....

Hey, working with electricity is a dangerous business...

Frazod
09-11-2007, 09:15 AM
Hey, working with electricity is a dangerous business...

Especially when there's water around :D

PhillyChiefFan
09-11-2007, 09:54 AM

Not a stupid question. I was wondering the same thing.

Blindside58
09-11-2007, 10:03 AM
OH Great! Now Al Qaeda will send RF into the ocean around the US and cause a Fire on all shore lines....DOH!

KC Kings
09-11-2007, 10:06 AM
So with the icecaps melting due to global warming, we'll have even more saltwater to burn into energy.

Take THAT, Al Gore!

I can see it now. Year 2207, due to conventional water burning as an energy resource, global cooling has increase 8% a year over the last 20 years. The permafrost has exceeded all historical boundries and the salt water we depend on for energy is freezing into icebergs.

Hog Rider
09-11-2007, 10:16 AM
In the Winter, each car would act like a salt truck!

Silock
09-11-2007, 10:18 AM

Take THAT, Al Gore!

Frozen ice that melts isn't saltwater. It's freshwater.

I know, you were making a joke.

Donger
09-11-2007, 10:31 AM
Frozen ice that melts isn't saltwater. It's freshwater.

I know, you were making a joke.

Frozen ice? As opposed to what, liquid ice?