View Full Version : Chiefs defense average age

Mr. Laz
09-11-2007, 04:40 PM
is 27

chicago defense average age is 26

per 810

Mecca
09-11-2007, 04:41 PM
I think Law, Surtain and Edwards are older than anyone on the Bears defense.

BWillie
09-11-2007, 04:56 PM
We are still older than we were last year, on both offense and defense.

Marcellus
09-11-2007, 05:43 PM
We are still older than we were last year, on both offense and defense.

So what? Here is how we got older on defense besides the fact that the starters we have left over from last year are a year older.

Boone replaced Simms- Huge Upgrade

D. Edwards replaces Bell- Huge Upgrade

Harris replaced Mitchell- Wash so far, too soon to tell.

We have 2 younger starting safeties and upgraded at the positions we got older. I am guessing the remaining starters getting older washed out the youth at Safety and the older but better players may have raised the average.

Should we get rid of Surtain, Law and Edwards because they are bringing our average age up too far?

Younger doesn't mean better, we are young at a lot of positions and have some veterans in others.

We have Tyler, McBride, Pollard, Page, Hali, Allen, and Johnson all as young players and they play a lot.

I hate it when poeple use an arbitrary number to make a point. Does anyone really think we took a step backwards talent wise on defense?

blueballs
09-11-2007, 05:50 PM
Darsh has to be a decade or 2 younger than Gammon

Mr. Laz
09-11-2007, 07:18 PM
So what? Here is how we got older on defense besides the fact that the starters we have left over from last year are a year older.

We have 2 younger starting safeties and upgraded at the positions we got older. I am guessing the remaining starters getting older washed out the youth at Safety and the older but better players may have raised the average.

Should we get rid of Surtain, Law and Edwards because they are bringing our average age up too far?

Younger doesn't mean better, we are young at a lot of positions and have some veterans in others.

We have Tyler, McBride, Pollard, Page, Hali, Allen, and Johnson all as young players and they play a lot.

I hate it when poeple use an arbitrary number to make a point. Does anyone really think we took a step backwards talent wise on defense?
so then we aren't rebuilding/going with a youth movement?

we are pushing for talent to win now?

my arbitrary numbers are posted for a reason

CupidStunt
09-12-2007, 04:05 AM
Average age at my last count was 26.3, and that will only be lower with the addition of Barksdale which I haven't included.

Get rid of a couple vets and we're pushing an average age of 25.

htismaqe
09-12-2007, 06:08 AM

He didn't say anything about getting BETTER.

He was talking about getting OLDER.

It's pretty OBVIOUS that the Chiefs are trying to win now, and all the talk about a youth movement is bullshit.

Chiefnj2
09-12-2007, 07:00 AM

It's pretty OBVIOUS that the Chiefs are trying to win now, and all the talk about a youth movement is bullshit.

If people can't see a youth movement on D they are playing stupid.

DL: Hali, Allen, Turk, Tank, Edwards.
LB: DJ and Nap.
DB's: Pollard, Page and now Brackenridge.

TEX
09-12-2007, 07:00 AM

:clap:

Most of what Herm says is BULLSH*T!
The dude reminds me of a snake oil salesman.
I still can't believe he's our HC.
:cuss:

Marcellus
09-12-2007, 07:08 AM

And once again you have- Pollard, Page, Hali, Allen, Tyler, McBride and Johnson. There is also the possibility of the 2 young corners being around a while. The defense is younger and they have drafted and are playing the players that will be the foundation.

Should we have started 2 rookie linebackers so that we could say we are going with youth? They wanted to draft some DB's but didn't find anyone they liked.

Just because our average age has gone up a bit doesn't mean they aren't trying to build a talented base for the future. Those comments are rediculous when making those statements about the defense.

They are dead on when you talk about the QB situation.

htismaqe
09-12-2007, 07:30 AM
If people can't see a youth movement on D they are playing stupid.

DL: Hali, Allen, Turk, Tank, Edwards.
LB: DJ and Nap.
DB's: Pollard, Page and now Brackenridge.

Nap isn't any younger than Mitchell, is he? And he's been jettisoned from not one, but two teams.

Futhermore, our biggest free agent signing of the offseason was Donnie Edwards.

They are "getting younger" when and where it's convenient.

Chiefnj2
09-12-2007, 07:43 AM
Nap isn't any younger than Mitchell, is he? And he's been jettisoned from not one, but two teams.

Nap and Mitchell are essentially a wash in terms of age.

Who would you rather have at OLB? Fox? Does having some veteran leadership at LB really annoy you?

Messier
09-12-2007, 07:45 AM

He wasn't "Jettisoned" from the Vikings he was a free agent. I think he's a good linebacker. The Chiefs have five starters on Defense that are 25 or younger, and two others that are 28, if Tank is starting soon that'll make 6 under 25. I think they are doing a great job getting younger on defense. I think having Edwards is a good thing, he's a great influence on the young guys, but maybe we should start Fox over Edwards so we can say we're getting younger, would that be good?

htismaqe
09-12-2007, 08:03 AM
Nap and Mitchell are essentially a wash in terms of age.

Who would you rather have at OLB? Fox? Does having some veteran leadership at LB really annoy you?

Not really. I think Edwards can be an impact player.

I have a problem with the coaching staff saying one thing and doing another.

Chief Faithful
09-12-2007, 08:58 AM

I've heard Herm say they are trying to play young players. I've heard him say they are trying to get more young players. I've heard him say they need a better balance of young players to go with the veterans. I've heard him say the team got top heavy with veterans. But, I've never heard Herm or Carl say they were rebuilding or going with a youth movement.

Chief Faithful
09-12-2007, 09:07 AM

Curious use of the word 'jettisoned' because I don't remember any team getting rid of him because of poor performance.

He was traded for Moss, which is value for value type trade, and he was not resigned as a free agent by the Vikings because they had their preferred guy coming back from injury.

So far I think Nap was a good signing.

Getting younger where the young player is viewed an upgrade in talent is the message I got from Herm. Management has been clear that the team got top heavy with aging veterans and it was having a negative impact. So they are trying to turn things around with the draft and playing the youth, but I don't recall being told there was a 'youth movement' or rebuilding.

RustShack
09-12-2007, 09:32 AM
I think Herman is trying to play the younger players, but Carl wants to win now instead of rebuilding a better team for the future. I'm all for pretty much dedicating our draft to the offense next year, with the exception of a CB and maybe another D player.

RedThat
09-12-2007, 09:58 AM
Not really. I think Edwards can be an impact player.

I have a problem with the coaching staff saying one thing and doing another.

yeah that bothers me too

ChiefGator
09-12-2007, 10:06 AM
I'm going to stop watching the Chiefs until they get their average defensive age under 24. [/sarcasm]

I, personally, don't want players to get a position on this team just because they are younger than another. I don't want to play a team made up of undrafted rookies, just so we might find one player who is okay. And I definitely want SOME vets back there with their leadership.

I'm very happy with the movement in our D personel. It would have been nice to get a couple highly-recruited cornerbacks, but that is my only gripe. And you can't, of course, get every position filled in one draft.

beach tribe
09-12-2007, 10:15 AM
Look people, we Are trying to win now, AND we are trying to build.

What should we do? Bench Surtain and Law? They are our oldest defensive starters, besides Donnie, and he might as well be a tudor on the field, along with the other two. There is a plan on D.

The O on the other hand..............

Mr. Laz
09-12-2007, 10:19 AM
Look people, we Are trying to win now, AND we are trying to build...
fine .... then people need to stop using the "rebuilding" term as an excuse for sucking.

beach tribe
09-12-2007, 10:21 AM
fine .... then people need to stop using the "rebuilding" term as an excuse for sucking.
Agreed.

Chief Faithful
09-12-2007, 11:56 AM

What excuse would you like us to use?

While they are not trying to rebuild Carl and Herm are trying to remake the team. I like the approach they are taking with the roster and believe it will start to payoff in the second half of this year.

Mr. Laz
09-12-2007, 12:19 PM
What excuse would you like us to use?

While they are not trying to rebuild Carl and Herm are trying to remake the team. I like the approach they are taking with the roster and believe it will start to payoff in the second half of this year.
i would like for no excuses to be used ... we shouldn't need excuses.

the very definition of 'excuse' means WE shouldn't want it used for our football team.

we aren't rebuilding ... we just suck.

BigChiefFan
09-12-2007, 12:33 PM
The defense isn't the problem. The offense is... and it's old as shit. Besides Bowe, everybody playing is a veteran-that's why the way they played was disheartening.

Marcellus
09-12-2007, 06:30 PM
This sums it up. It's a quote from QA with Donnie Edwards today on kschiefs.com

Q: Why do you think Herm wanted to bring you in, despite efforts to make this team younger?

EDWARDS: ďYou canít have an entire team full of younger guys and you canít have a team full of older guys. You have to have a nice mixture of quality veterans that can teach younger players how to be a pro and you have to have younger guys that have the potential to become great players. Thatís the type of balance that you need to have in a team and I think that he understands that.Ē

jjchieffan
09-12-2007, 06:49 PM
I know someone can get the stats. What was our average age last year, and the last five years. I bet the average age was pushing 30 2-3 years ago. We have gotten a lot younger overall. In fact, I believe I remember reading an article 2 years ago that the chiefs were one of the oldest teams in the league. We certainly are not close to the oldest team now.

ChiefsCountry
09-12-2007, 06:51 PM
I know someone can get the stats. What was our average age last year, and the last five years. I bet the average age was pushing 30 2-3 years ago. We have gotten a lot younger overall. In fact, I believe I remember reading an article 2 years ago that the chiefs were one of the oldest teams in the league. We certainly are not close to the oldest team now.

I say its about the same now as it was last year.

tk13
09-12-2007, 07:32 PM
I think we're fine on defense. Yeah we've got Law, Surtain and Edwards... but we have two undrafted rookies at CB behind them... Donnie's really the only spot on the field we don't have a young guy backing him up. It's not easy to have a 24 year old at every spot, and having one or two veteran leaders isn't always a bad idea. It doesn't have to be a "win now" thing, it could be having a couple veterans to show the younger guys how it's done.

Hydrae
09-12-2007, 07:34 PM

Morten Anderson drove that average up quite a bit. I should know, I am only a week younger than him and I am a grandpa!

Deberg_1990
09-12-2007, 07:36 PM
The Age thing is overrated. There have been some very young teams that won championships. There have been some very old teams that won championships.