PDA

View Full Version : Terdell Sands Bio....

NaptownChief
05-23-2001, 02:05 PM
Sounds like he has a ton of ability but is dumber than a stump...Sounds like a great gamble in the 7th round.

Terdell Sands - 7th Round Draft Selection (243rd Overall)

TERDELL SANDS
Defensive Tackle
UT-Chattanooga
6-7 330
ANALYSIS
Big, physical run stuffer who shows suddenness coming out of his stance...Gets his hands up quickly, delivering a crunching punch to rock blockers on their heels...Very effective edge rusher who has the lateral agility to string plays wide...Recently timed at 5.08 in the 40-yard dash.

2000 SEASON
Did not play...Declared academically ineligible.

1999 SEASON
Collected 36 tackles in his first year including 26 solos...Ranked second on squad in tackles for loss with eight...Started eight games and played in 11...Deflected two passes, recovered two fumbles and forced another one...Credited with two tackles in his Chattanooga debut vs. Samford...Recovered fumbles at Louisville and against Savannah State ...Compiled three hits in win over Savannah State ... Recorded season-high nine tackles, including eight solos, at Georgia Southern...Had four stops against Wofford and three in win over Western Carolina ... Made two stops at Appalachian State...Registered six hits with three negative yardage tackles and a deflection in win over The Citadel...Credited with three tackles for loss against Furman.

1998 SEASON
Academically ineligible...Sat out the 1998 season ... Attended classes at Chattanooga State Community College.

1997 SEASON
Originally signed with the University of Tennessee, but declared academically ineligible.

HIGH SCHOOL
Nominated for Tennessee Mr. Football Award honors during his senior year at Howard (Chattanooga, Tenn.) High...All-State and All-City performer...Voted the City’s Defensive Player of the Year...Led area in tackles for loss...Also earned All-State and All-City honors as a junior.

milkman
05-23-2001, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by jl80
Sounds like he has a ton of ability but is dumber than a stump.

So you just put him in the middle of the defensive line and tell him to hit anyone with the football not wearing red and gold.

May need flash cards with the colors so he knows exactly what red and gold is.;)

HC_Chief
05-23-2001, 02:25 PM
The guy is mammoth. Gigantic. Colossal. I'm running out of adjectives...

Best thing about DT: you don't have to be smart - you just have to be big... and motivated. He fits the first part to a tee - I'm hoping his goal is to be the next Warren Sapp.

ck_IN
05-23-2001, 02:44 PM
Good thing he's a DT and not a MLB. Smarts aint required at DT.

Actually I view him as the bright spot in our draft. He's the only player we drafted that at least attempts to fill a glaring need with a glaring amount of talent.

Downing and Minnis were huge reaches.

NaptownChief
05-23-2001, 02:50 PM
CK IN,

I agree with you on all fronts...

ck_IN
05-23-2001, 02:58 PM
J80, what part of Indy you in? I'm in Lawerence.

NaptownChief
05-23-2001, 03:01 PM
I live one block north of Highland Country Club, one block south of Kessler in the Meridian/Kessler, Highland/Kessler area...

Rausch
05-23-2001, 03:08 PM
Minnis may be as dumb as a warm sack of $#it, but he's fast and has hands of glue. The guy WILL produce if he can find someone to read him his playbook at bedtime...

Our "studs" like Green and Holmes are a higher probability to dissapoint in my mind.

And why is it taking Green 4 monts to rehab a surgery that was LESS severe than Faulks and he was only out 5 weeks!?!

Pitt Gorilla
05-23-2001, 03:46 PM
ck_IN,
What is a reach? Is that when we draft someone Kiper told us no to draft? How could you possibly guage a "reach" without knowing EXACTLY whom every NFL team was going to draft before the draft?

NaptownChief
05-23-2001, 04:00 PM
Pitt,

I know you have been through this argument with many others before but I will come to Ck IN's defense cause I agree with him...

Does it make it a reach if Helmet Hair disagrees? Of coarse not but it tends to make it a reach when Ourlads, Helmet hair and the vast majority of the top scouting services who have many contacts within all of the NFL camps have them going much later in the draft...

But that point aside, I think that it is more than fair for a casual fan to state his opinion regarding a players value...I remember many casual fans saying R. Shehee in the 3rd was a reach and M.Cloud in the 2nd was a reach...As it turns out they were correct...

I will give you a good example...Last year Mike Holmgren said Rob Morris going in the 1st round was a reach. He had him rated as a 3rd round talent. Based on your argument, Holmgren should not be allowed to say that because he doesn't truly know at what point the other thirty teams would have drafted him had the Colts not taken him in the 1st....

Pitt Gorilla
05-23-2001, 04:55 PM
With all due respect to Mr. Holmgren, I'll stand by that argument. He obviously wasn't a "reach" to the Colts, or they wouldn't have drafted him; He was the player they wanted in that draft slot. On the issue of a player having "3rd round talent" or any round talent, for that matter, why were teams discussing a trade of a first round pick for Mike Anderson? He was obviously not a first round talent the year before. Would it have been a "reach" to have drafted him in the second? Third-fifth? I just think logistically it is impossible to label a pick a "reach" after it has been made.

Zebedee DuBois
05-23-2001, 04:58 PM
Pitt Gorilla,
Did you get my return Smoke Signal a couple of days ago.
Zeb

Pitt Gorilla
05-23-2001, 05:04 PM
No, I hadn't. Thank you so much for your help. I had almost forgot about that. Thanks again!

Pitt Gorilla
05-23-2001, 10:37 PM
SD thought Brees was better. SL thought Lewis was better. If SD had thought Rosenfels was better, they would have drafted him. Was Ryan Leaf a "reach"? He was projected by a majority of the publications at the time, including Kiper, to go first or second overall. When a team takes the player that they believe is the best available for them at that particular pick, without prior knowledge of all remaining future picks, there can be no "reach." Every player gets drafted in their position for a reason; There could be better players available, but, for whatever reason, they are not drafted in that position. How would you explain a reach?

ck_IN
05-24-2001, 09:42 AM
J80, So you're in Washington township? Nice area. Us poor *sniff* Lawerence *sniff, pout* types can only drive slowly through your neighborhood and view in awe. :D I'm over by Lawerence Central.

Pitt, Ok lets view this from a different angle. Was Tre Jenkins a reach? How about Ethan Hortan? I don't remember the exact board stackings those years but the UM coach said Jenkins wasn't the best player on the UM oline, much less left on the board. I dn't pretend to be a draft expert, as I'm sure you don't. However Downing was predicted to go somewhere in the late 4th / early 5th. Not the upper half of the 3rd. If Downing was desired he probably could've been had later at better value. As it is, there were many other DT's still on the board that were ranked better prospects.

Brad, I don't have Minnis' 40 times at my fingertips, but I do remember them being on the slow side. And since my wife is an FSU grad and I'm subjected to FSU thangs, I know he didn't make his living as a 'Nole with his speed. He's undersized and on the slow side. He does run great routes and if he's used in the slot he may contribute. If he's played as a #2 WR, the physical CB's in the West will knock him on his butt and his routes won't matter.

keg in kc
05-24-2001, 10:06 AM
The thing is, we really don't know what the real ranking of the players are. What we read on the net is pure speculation, albeit some of it almost falls under the category of "educated guess", and not a real representation of what the draft boards of the actual 31 teams look like. Who knows, Downing may really have moved up the draftboards of 8 or 9 teams like the rumor was following the draft. We have no way of knowing.

These people are professionals, the scouting staffs for the teams, I mean, and we really don't know why they pick players when they do, and we don't have the same information at our disposal. Us calling players a "reach" is basically making assumptions based on incomplete data. Besides which, if Downing pans out and becomes a good player for us, who cares when we got him, we're talking about third round picks here, not top 20 draft picks. Hell, we might be calling Downing a "steal" or a "sleeper" two years from now.

Or we might not...

As for Greg Wesley, Greg Robinson made a very interesting comment about him on KCFX monday night - he said the guy wasn't even scounted by Denver, not even on their draft board.

Looks like we might have seen something they missed, and who knows, it might happen with Downing, too.

HC_Chief
05-24-2001, 10:15 AM
<i>As for Greg Wesley, Greg Robinson made a very interesting comment about him on KCFX monday night - he said the guy wasn't even scounted by Denver, not even on their draft board.
</i>

that's really surprising - especially when you consider their <i>brilliant</i> defensive drafts under Shannahan. ;)

ChiTown
05-24-2001, 10:19 AM
I don't know HC, Denver had a couple nice LB and DL picks in recent years. Now, as far as their DB's...............

ChiTown
~Wouldn't mind having Al Wilson and Trevor Pryce in his lineup

htismaqe
05-24-2001, 10:51 AM
Minnis is NOT undersized...he's 6'1"...

He is on the skinny side at 180, but he's also 21 years old. He'll add weight...

alanm
05-24-2001, 11:10 AM
It was a reach just reading about what a reach is. BTW Minnis isn't that small I hate reading about how a guy is too small to play in the NFL. If a guy can play he can play. I think he's going to surprise everyone. :)

DeepSouth
05-24-2001, 12:18 PM
htismaqe, The only reason he is 6 '1" is because he has a Harvey Williams type neck. If he had a normal neck he'd probably be about 5'10". I can see him putting on some wieght but I doubt he'll ever weigh over 200LBs.

htismaqe
05-24-2001, 12:32 PM
For some, nothing is ever good enough.

The only reason he fell as far as he did was because of his attitude. He's got all the skills and he can bulk up...he's tailor-made for the slot in this offense...

I think I'll wait and see how these players do on the field before I start bitching about them...

DeepSouth
05-24-2001, 02:12 PM
Sorry htismaqe, I didn't mean for it to sound like I don't like the guy. I'm very impressed with his play and his personality. I think he'll do well. Having to sit out the Orange Bowl could have been the best thing that could have happened to him as far as his pro carreer. From what he's said, I think that hurt him a lot. I just don't think he'll be able to bulk up to the weight of most WR that are 6'1".

Girraffes don't weight a much as elephants.

ck_IN
05-24-2001, 03:18 PM
Ok, I give up. All of the Chiefs picks will be instant pro-bowlers and future Hall Of Famers. I'll bow to the group-think. Happy now?!

For the record ESPN has Minnis as 6'1" 174lbs with a 4.55. That folks, is skinny, undersized and slow. For his positives they list: Great hands, balance, and can take a hit. For negatives they have: trouble beating the jam, not a burner, lacks great accleration.

In short, he's a born slot reciever just like Lockett. Which is all I've said all along. And if they try to make him more than another Lockett he'll be knocked on his butt by bigger CB's.

NaptownChief
05-24-2001, 05:40 PM
Pitt,

Had Atlanta taken Minnis with the first pick overall would that have been a "reach"...Or since how they had no clue at the time what the other teams were thinking then it would have been fair value?

Based on your argument absolutely everyone in the draft is fair value...That is the same argument as nobody is ever overpaid or underpaid, they are paid what they are worth....I strongly disagree. Just do us a favor and have Webster's remove the term "reach" from the dictionary because it doesn't really exists.

htismaqe
05-25-2001, 09:52 AM
Chuck,

Ever heard of meeting in the middle?

I never said anything about Minnis being a pro-bowler, but he's also not as bad as you would make him out to be.

ck_IN
05-25-2001, 11:57 AM
Hitsmaque

In the middle is firmly where I stand, which is an odd place for a hard core GOPer. I've nothing against Minnis. I've also very little for him. I contend that he was a reach in the 3rd round and we could've gotten better value.

My comments on pro-bowler, etc. were aimed at the folks who bizarrely predicted that he'd supplant Morris at #2 WR. If that happens we're in serious trouble. He'll never leave the LOS as the Eric Allens of the West knock him into the 3rd row seats.

Funny how this thread has morphed. My first comments were in praise of Sands. I used Minnis and Downing to contrast what I view as the difference in the value of Sands versus my perception of Downing and Minnis as a reach per their draft position.

NaptownChief
05-25-2001, 12:01 PM
Ck,

You going to the race?

ck_IN
05-25-2001, 12:10 PM
Nope I'll listen to it on the radio and watch the tape delay on TV. I'm a qual person. I love sitting in the short-chute in turn 2 on pole day. My fav track experience was watching bump day in one of the corporate suites. That was sweet.

Brats and burgers on the grill and Coors on ice come Sunday is my plan. You?

htismaqe
05-25-2001, 12:58 PM
Chuck,

I could see your point on Downing, because he was a relative unknown coming into the draft, but putting Minnis in the same category seems a little short-sighted.

He was arguably the best slot receiver available after Moss in this draft and that's exactly what we drafted him for. He will most likely start, along with DA and Sly. Drafting a starter in the 3rd round seems like a good pick to me.

Although, the criticisms of Minnis (particularly his weight) may be valid, the guy ranked near the top of every 1-A statistical category, so he's hardly a reach. He outperformed several of the receivers drafted ahead of him.

If college performance ISN'T a good measuring stick of a guy's relative worth, I'd have serious questions about what is...

Clint in Wichita
05-25-2001, 01:12 PM
If anyone can come up with a picture of "The Turd" (that's GOT to be his nickname), I'd like to see it.

6'-7", 330 lbs. and runs a 5.08 FORTY?!!

That's totally insane. Warren Sapp is about 6'0", 300 and runs maybe a 4.9

McGlockton probably ran a 6.0 when he was drafted & about 10.0 now.

Sands' physical attributes are unmatched by any DL in the NFL. If he learns how to play the game & is motivated, he will be impossible for offensive linemen to contain.

htismaqe
05-25-2001, 01:24 PM
The thing I'm worried about most is whether or not he can learn the blitz-gap schemes. Being a 7th round draft pick is likely to motivate him at least some.

Obviously his physical attributes are INCREDIBLE. It just sounds like there's nothing between his ears...

NaptownChief
05-25-2001, 01:30 PM
Someone mentioned that the coaches could use flash cards to help him out with which color jersey's to hit...

I must say that despite being dumber than a stump, I am much more excited about his ability to produce than I am Downing...

Tribal Warfare
05-25-2001, 02:06 PM
Terdell Sands analysis (http://pub20.ezboard.com/fboomersdraftfrm1.showMessage?topicID=52.topic)byBoomer

He was being counted on for a monstrous senior season, and all reports had him as ready to bust out. However, he again, failed to make grades and didn't play at all last season. Thus, his late, late draft status.

htismaqe
05-25-2001, 02:12 PM
Fortunately, you're not required to academically qualify to play in the NFL. If that's his ONLY problem, we got a GEM...

HC_Chief
05-25-2001, 02:15 PM
and again, DT is the ONE position where intelligence matters least ;)

(I should know: I played DT in Jr High... hehehehe)

milkman
05-26-2001, 08:35 AM
When I think about that flash card idea, I can't help but think of Forrest Gump and the scene in which he's running and the 'Bama fans have the "Run" and "Stop" flash cards.
Maybe we should call Sands "Gump Mile".

htismaqe
05-27-2001, 09:02 AM
Dammit milkman,

Now I can just imagine in my head this 6'6" monster saying "boiled shrimps, jumbo shrimps, fried shrimps..."

milkman
05-27-2001, 09:21 AM
Parker,
Glad I could leave an impression.:D
Of course, at his size, just about every opponent will look like shrimp to Sands.

philfree
05-27-2001, 11:02 AM
You may nickname this guy "The Turd" behind his back but face to face Mr. Sands would probably be the words slipping out your mouth. What would be wrong with "The Sandsman"?

PhilFree:cool: