PDA

View Full Version : Which category of poster do you fall into regarding Herm/Carl?

OnTheWarpath58
09-11-2007, 07:48 PM
This ought to be good.....

Please select what kind of poster you consider yourself to be regarding the subject of Herm and Carl.

Sully
09-11-2007, 07:56 PM
I try to be as realistic as possible, and when need be will criticize and/or defend Herm and/or Carl as I judge fit.

JBucc
09-11-2007, 07:58 PM
I try to be rational and reasonable, but Carl and Herm make it really really hard.

Bill S Preston
09-11-2007, 07:59 PM
I'll criticize Herm and/or Carl no matter how ridiculous it makes me look.

OnTheWarpath58
09-11-2007, 08:00 PM

I appreciate your honesty.

Rain Man
09-11-2007, 08:04 PM
Carl started the Civil War.

Rain Man
09-11-2007, 08:11 PM
Carl is intentionally keeping hidden a carburetor that can get 70 miles per gallon.

KurtCobain
09-11-2007, 08:14 PM
Carl started the Civil War.

This thread is useless without pics.

FAX
09-11-2007, 08:14 PM
Herm is perfecting his super secret Monkeys Flying Out Of LJ's Assometer. That gives me hope.

Where is the "I'm completely friggin' suicidal" option, by the way?

FAX

ChiefsLV
09-11-2007, 08:18 PM
Not really sure which of these categories I fall into. :D

Mr. Laz
09-11-2007, 08:19 PM
i'm a militant homer /OnTheWarpath58

Rain Man
09-11-2007, 08:21 PM
This thread is useless without pics.

Unfortunately, his side drafted General Ambrose J. Blackledge instead of famed Civil War photographer Tom Brady.

KCCHIEFS27
09-11-2007, 08:56 PM
Where is the I'll defend Herm no matter how ridiculous I look, but I'll criticize Carl no matter how ridiculous i look vote?

htismaqe
09-11-2007, 09:14 PM
I used to be

I try to be as realistic and rational as possible, yet somehow get labled as a "homer" or an "apologist"

But I'm now firmly in the camp of

I'll criticize Herm and/or Carl no matter how ridiculous it makes me look

OnTheWarpath58
09-11-2007, 09:19 PM
I used to be

I try to be as realistic and rational as possible, yet somehow get labled as a "homer" or an "apologist"

I'm disappointed Parker, but I fully understand and respect your stance.

OnTheWarpath58
09-11-2007, 09:20 PM
i'm a militant homer /OnTheWarpath58

I obviously lack in reading comprehension /Laz

blueballs
09-11-2007, 09:22 PM
It's always darkest before the dawn
and I see fine

Baconeater
Eh, I can make myself look ridiculous without even bringing Herm or Carl's name up.

htismaqe
I'm disappointed Parker, but I fully understand and respect your stance.

I was disappointed with Marty, but it wasn't entirely disheartening, because I felt the same way about Marty the day he left as the day he was hired. I fully expected him to get us CLOSE, but not get us THERE, because I had no faith in Marty.

I was disappointed with Vermeil, but it wasn't entirely disheartening, because I felt like Vermeil gave it an honest try and just didn't know what he was doing when it came to drafting and evaluating defensive players. He brought us an offense that was fun to watch at least.

I am beyond disappointed in Herm. Herm did something that neither Marty nor Vermeil did - led me to believe he was somebody that he's not. He said he was going to do something and at the end of the day, he lied. It's business as usual at 1 Arrowhead Drive, and I feel betrayed.

OnTheWarpath58
09-11-2007, 09:25 PM
I was disappointed with Marty, but it wasn't entirely disheartening, because I felt the same way about Marty the day he left as the day he was hired. I fully expected him to get us CLOSE, but not get us THERE, because I had no faith in Marty.

I was disappointed with Vermeil, but it wasn't entirely disheartening, because I felt like Vermeil gave it an honest try and just didn't know what he was doing when it came to drafting and evaluating defensive players. He brought us an offense that was fun to watch at least.

I am beyond disappointed in Herm. Herm did something that neither Marty nor Vermeil did - led me to believe he was somebody that he's not. He said he was going to do something and at the end of the day, he lied. It's business as usual at 1 Arrowhead Drive, and I feel betrayed.

Well put.

Smed1065
09-11-2007, 09:25 PM
I used to be

The thin air in Denver makes people change in week 1.

:)

SNR
09-11-2007, 09:26 PM
I'm still willing to give Herm a chance. I've made a couple posts against Herm haters on here without really meeting much resistance or name-calling.

Carl is really wearing out his welcome. I wouldn't call him time here a success at all. Generally I don't like Carl at all. However, if he makes a good move, I'll give him props for about 5 minutes then going back to hating him.

Does that answer the question?

sportsman1
09-11-2007, 09:28 PM
I dont blame Herm as much b/c im not really sure what he "does" and what Carl and the office "does".

Phobia
09-11-2007, 09:32 PM
I don't understand those who group Carl and Herm together. Carl has been in KC nearly 2 decades - Herm, 2 years. Isn't that enough distinction so Herm gets a little more leniancy?

I understand the disappointment with Carl. I think the negativity towards Herm may be a little premature.

htismaqe
09-11-2007, 09:32 PM
I dont blame Herm as much b/c im not really sure what he "does" and what Carl and the office "does".

This is the "Gunther" principle.

There's no way for Herm to look "good" in this situation.

He's either calling the shots. Or he willingly agreed to be Carl's puppet.

HemiEd
09-11-2007, 09:33 PM
I am honestly finally tiring of the shit. The increased information since I found this joint has helped educate me as to why we are failing.

I have gone from the blindest homer, to wanting Carl gone.
Yep I said it, I have defended him forever.

In slightly more than one season of Herm, I have turned the other cheek so many times, they are both bloody.

Carl has made three straight lazy hires.

If they are going to rebuild, they should rebuild. (well documented that I didn't like the idea)

If they are going to try and be competitive, then quit being so ****ing stupid. Get some better coaches.

sportsman1
09-11-2007, 09:37 PM
Same ole same ole. What else is there to say? I think after 18 years of this we have seen enough, move on Clark. Try something different, at this point what is left to risk? If any fans deserve to win its Kansas City sports fans.

OnTheWarpath58
09-11-2007, 09:39 PM
I don't understand those who group Carl and Herm together. Carl has been in KC nearly 2 decades - Herm, 2 years. Isn't that enough distinction so Herm gets a little more leniancy?

I understand the disappointment with Carl. I think the negativity towards Herm may be a little premature.

I'm with you on this one, Phil.

Carl is the common denominator.

Yet people take 2 decades of frustration out on a guy who's coached exactly 18 games here.

Smed1065
09-11-2007, 09:42 PM

Yet people take 2 decades of frustration out on a guy who's coached exactly 18 games here.

Make it a third!

htismaqe
09-11-2007, 09:45 PM

People are taking 2 decades of frustration out on Herm because Herm appears to be going OUT OF HIS WAY to maintain the status quo that has existed for those same 2 decades...

OnTheWarpath58
09-11-2007, 09:50 PM
People are taking 2 decades of frustration out on Herm because Herm appears to be going OUT OF HIS WAY to maintain the status quo that has existed for those same 2 decades...

Key word for me is appears.

For whatever reason, I'm willing to give him more time to prove that statement wrong.

But I can say that the clock is ticking.....

Everyone has different levels of what they are willing to accept and for how long.

htismaqe
09-11-2007, 09:58 PM
Key word for me is appears.

For whatever reason, I'm willing to give him more time to prove that statement wrong.

But I can say that the clock is ticking.....

Everyone has different levels of what they are willing to accept and for how long.

I can respect that.

For me personally, I'm done with it.

I wanted Carl fired after the 1998 season and carried that through the two years of Gunther.

Then Vermeil came and he represented such a radical change from the "caveman" offense we were used to that I allowed myself to get sucked back in. I'm not gonna let that happen again.

a1na2
09-11-2007, 10:13 PM

When the offense was basically dismantled last year and this year we were promised a competition for the starting QB job and we got smoke blown up our backsides was bad enough, but when the Chiefs offense produced only 2 TD's in preseason it tends to spell the end for Herman. Herman is pretty good with defenses, but he is totally inept offensively.

I don't know what Gunther is doing for the defense, but herman seems to be overseeing that as well as the offense. I have reservations about both the OC and DC. If herman is over ruling what is called on offense or has put limits on what the OC can do we are bound to lose more than anyone wants.

If the Hunts or Carl had any brains they would find some way to upgrade the OC position by either getting a consultant in and giving him some control over the game plan and limiting hermans input.

The quote isn't fully correct but herman said something along the lines of 21 points a game is good, 30 points a game is Arena Football and this is the real thing.

I've got news for herman, if you hold the other team to 10 and you can't score more than that your concept of what is real football has been diluted.

I would rather see a balanced O and D that can do the job they are both there for. If the offense scores a TD after having a posession for :45, that is good. If the offense holds the ball for :45 and then we punt and do that consistantly, that is very bad. So far the latter seems to be the rule.

We also need a QB that can get the ball down field. If we are keeping to screens and short passes we are always going to have at least 8 in the box and with that LJ isn't going to get 1000 yards. It needs to be opened up.

Logical
09-11-2007, 11:09 PM
I had to choose the Gaz option because I feel I am a realist and that was not represented without being labeled a homer/apologist, no one is going to mistake me for a homer.

Mecca
09-11-2007, 11:11 PM
I try to be realistic and people just say I'm negative.

Direckshun
09-11-2007, 11:17 PM
I have no influence on anything, so I accept it and try to be a reasonable optimist.

But I'll admit I'm an optimist. Sports is just too unimportant in the grand scheme of things to get negative over.

Smed1065
09-12-2007, 02:37 AM
I think it was mentioned last night during one of the games. It was a statement that said players can not be scared to make a mistake because they are suppose to be making plays.

I think the no mistake principal of HEs' has a negative impact on actually playing football and limits our players, especially the young ones because of a fear that one mistake will cost the team a game. Either play and learn or worry about a mistake.

I believe you need to play first and think second in the NFL. The same reason is stated for rookies and why they do not make a big impact usually in the NFL.

One or the other IMO.

When starting rookies or young players this puts an extra burden on new players by using this philosophy of playing. Seems to me he is giving the people he wants to play a disadvantage or handicap.

I think Herm needs to stop the using the preaseason to evaluate all players (like an UDFA player like himself). He needs to teach the actual team (people that are going to start) some plays and series before playing a game in the regular season. I get the feeling he is still in the UDFA mode in the preseason instead of getting prepared for who is playing and the gelling of a team to start the season.

I am starting to have doubts about player coaches (one the player like) because it seems to be the ones that either the players (DV) have a guaranteed job or the ones that take it easy on players during TC and practice, that seem to be in this category.

Ultra Peanut
09-12-2007, 04:24 AM
I hate Carl, and I still really haven't formed an opinion on Herm yet.

Duck Dog
09-12-2007, 04:42 AM
I hate Carl for not giving me a Championship. I hate Herm for taking our leagues best offense and flushing it down the crapper and still fields a bad defense.

htismaqe
09-12-2007, 07:05 AM
I think it was mentioned last night during one of the games. It was a statement that said players can not be scared to make a mistake because they are suppose to be making plays.

I think the no mistake principal of HEs' has a negative impact on actually playing football and limits our players, especially the young ones because of a fear that one mistake will cost the team a game. Either play and learn or worry about a mistake.

I believe you need to play first and think second in the NFL. The same reason is stated for rookies and why they do not make a big impact usually in the NFL.

One or the other IMO.

When starting rookies or young players this puts an extra burden on new players by using this philosophy of playing. Seems to me he is giving the people he wants to play a disadvantage or handicap.

I think Herm needs to stop the using the preaseason to evaluate all players (like an UDFA player like himself). He needs to teach the actual team (people that are going to start) some plays and series before playing a game in the regular season. I get the feeling he is still in the UDFA mode in the preseason instead of getting prepared for who is playing and the gelling of a team to start the season.

I am starting to have doubts about player coaches (one the player like) because it seems to be the ones that either the players (DV) have a guaranteed job or the ones that take it easy on players during TC and practice, that seem to be in this category.

Great post.

Of course, it makes the Croyle situation even more hopeless. He may or may not have what it takes. But even if he does, we'll probably never know. Herm's entire philosophy isn't exactly friendly to that type of QB...

StcChief
09-12-2007, 07:07 AM
try to be realistic... but it keeps getting harder.

KCChiefsFan88
09-12-2007, 09:13 AM
I'm a realist about Carl and Herm because I go strictly by the facts and the facts are:

1) The Chiefs have one of the longest current playoff win droughts in the NFL and the one constant during the time-span for the franchise has been Carl Peterson as GM.

2) The Chiefs are the only team in the AFC West since Carl became GM who has not won an AFC Championship and represented the AFC in the Super Bowl.

3) Herm is a career sub.-500 head coach who has destroyed the aggressive approach on offense that Vermeil/Al Saunders spent 5 years creating. Herm's ultra-conservative offensive tendancies go against the general trend in the NFL which is to be more aggressive on offense and look to go downfield more often in the passing game.

Woodrow Call
09-12-2007, 09:19 AM
I'm pro-Herm, anti-Carl but my patience with Herm is wearing thin.

The decisions over the past month have soured my quite a bit.

KCChiefsFan88
09-12-2007, 09:21 AM

Herm is an extension of Carl and was hired because he is a yes-man for everything Carl wants to do.

FringeNC
09-12-2007, 09:27 AM
I don't see how anyone could have been pro-Herm after that playoff embarrassment. You simply cannot win playoff games in this league by playing not-to-lose, and that's Herm's defining trait. Throw in the fact that Herm knows no Xs and Os....

HemiEd
09-12-2007, 10:16 AM

Here is my edited version of your post.
People are taking almost 4 decades of frustration out on Herm because Herm appears to be going OUT OF HIS WAY to be stupid and repeat past mistakes. The destruction of the offense after saying he wouldn't **** with it etc.

KCChiefsFan88
09-12-2007, 11:23 AM
I don't see how anyone could have been pro-Herm after that playoff embarrassment. You simply cannot win playoff games in this league by playing not-to-lose, and that's Herm's defining trait. Throw in the fact that Herm knows no Xs and Os....

The Peter Principle without a doubt applies to Herm.

He's a guy who started out as a scout and was able to work his way up the ladder because of he has a very outgoing personality and has sucked up to the right people (i.e. Carl Peterson and his cronies). He also wisely latched onto the Tampa Bay Bucs defensive staff when they were loaded with defensive talent and coached by two of the best defensive minds in the NFL (Dungy and Kiffin).

FringeNC
09-12-2007, 08:09 PM
Other than Cleveland, is there a worse coaching staff in the NFL? If there is, I can't think of it.

MahiMike
09-12-2007, 08:42 PM
as if u couldn't tell from my avatar...)

htismaqe
09-12-2007, 08:46 PM
Other than Cleveland, is there a worse coaching staff in the NFL? If there is, I can't think of it.

They may be worse than Cleveland.

Too bad for KC that Mike Tice was forced out in Minnesota...

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-12-2007, 09:06 PM
Peterson and Herm are cowards.

Herm is a coaching anachronism. Winning with Herm is like trying to win the Indy 500 with a hand cart, or trying to bone Scarlett Johannsen when you have 15th century hygeine habits.

Coach
09-12-2007, 10:34 PM

KC Tattoo
09-12-2007, 10:56 PM
If I agree with them I will defend them, but most of the time I dont agree so I dont have to defend them that much. If I disagree then F*** em.

We have not developed a QB from the Draft ever during CP rule. Just plain stupid imo. I've watched other teams go from 1-15 then build a dynasty team with draft picks. It sucks to lose, but it is worse never to be better than mediocre imo.

The Chargers had the #1 pick a few years ago, so bad that the QB they selected did not want to play for them. Now they are a legget SB contender going 14-2 last year, and just getting better as the young tallent grows.

the Talking Can
09-12-2007, 10:59 PM

is there a coordinator or positon coach on our team worth anything?...Krumrie, maybe? Gunther's ok with sufficient talent, but his bend don't break cover two doesn't stike fear in anyone's heart...

are any of our coaches considered up and coming HC prospects?

ChiTown
09-12-2007, 11:36 PM
Where's the "I'm a douchebag" option?

ChiefsCountry
09-12-2007, 11:36 PM
We have not developed a QB from the Draft ever during CP rule.

Not just during Peterson's time, make that the whole franchise's existence.

FringeNC
09-13-2007, 05:24 AM
are any of our coaches considered up and coming HC prospects?

Dick Curl?

a1na2
09-13-2007, 05:24 AM
I hate Carl, and I still really haven't formed an opinion on Herm yet.

I think you hate CARL just because you have to have a way to vent your anxiety. IT would be better for you to go see a professional, and I'm not speaking about a lady of the evening.

CupidStunt
09-13-2007, 06:08 AM
Hate Carl. Want him out. Period. I should be no different here to any other competent Chiefs fan.

As far as Herm goes, I was "okay" with his hire. Wasn't thrilled but didn't think he was the worst guy for the job. Since then, I've liked the majority of the teams' personnel moves (although the last few weeks have not pleased me) and feel 9-7 in Herm's first year is okay, although his game-day coaching was suspect last year. But he did make the playoffs, and the players do seem to play well for him and i believe year one was pretty good.

However, it's going downhill rapidly. Comments he's made, our starting QB decision and our overall pussy philosophy is grating on me heavily.

The problem is, I'm not sure how much of what's pissing me off is Herm and how much is Carl.

I fully believe Carl made the QB decision, which is perhaps the one that pissed me off most. I would love to see Herm coach under a COMPETENT GM - something he has NEVER had the luxury of doing in his NFL career.

It wouldn't be the worst thing in the world to bring in a bright, young guy to run the franchise with Herm coaching. IF that fails and his offensive style bombs out, then fine. But I'd rather that than Carl running sh*t with Herm being the puppet.

As far as being a fan, I will ALWAYS root for the best and most positive outcome. I will always HOPE that the most positive thing which could happen does happen. I will NEVER be Mecca - a poster who gives the impression with 100% certainty that he does NOT enjoy the Chiefs or want to see them succeed.

Hide behind the "realist" excuse but it's bullshit. I am a realist and from what I read right up there with Dane McCloud, FAX, Direckshun as one of the most level-headed fans on the Planet. I can rape the Chiefs when they fail horribly, but I can also praise them when they do well, and like those I mentioned -- plus a few others -- I WANT to see them succeed. I actually watch the game on Sundays and jump out of my seat with excitement when Pollard knocks someout out or LJ trucks a linebacker or Bowe catches a deep ball. I get the feeling with a few people, mainly Mecca, that doesn't happen. If that's the case, you are NOT a fan. Period.

Saleenman607
09-13-2007, 10:17 AM
After watching Hard Knocks and getting an inside look at the goings on behind the scenes at 1 Arrowhead Drive, I can't help wondering what it would have been like if Marty was still there. Overall, I was disappointed in Herms "presence". It did seem like he was not very assertive when it came to coaches/staff meetings. Marty ran the team and there was no doubt. I don't fall into any category when I observe people working. I try to go by results. Herm/Carl have no results as yet.=BAD.
BTW....why does'nt KC media call Herm on his sometimes idiotic statements? Scared? For a city of savvy football fans, I would have expected better of the media.

Mark M
09-13-2007, 10:35 AM
I try to take an even tack on both, but that’s starting to change.

Herm is a good guy, and can do well with a veteran team capable of running on autopilot. He also has some of the most entertaining press conferences I've ever heard, and deciphering them can be turned into a science with its own journal and everything.

But IMHO, he is NOT a guy who is going to build a young team into a champion. I just don’t think he’s got the organizational skills, the personality, nor the correct philosophy to do it. He just doesn’t have that something extra you see in championship coaches. Too flaky.

As far as Carl goes … well, in the thread about the release of Medlock—not sure when a non-Super Bowl-winning kicker has ever merited a thread worthy of 200+ posts ... after Week 1, but what the hell—Mecca wrote the following (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showpost.php?p=4206044&postcount=176) and I think it summed it up pretty well:

This proves more than anything, this along with the Huard call.

The Chiefs will never be about rebuilding or a youth movement. They are about winning their 7-9 games and filling up that stadium, it's pretty much impossible to argue it now.

Many people have brought up the "Carl only wants to sell out the stadium!!" line before, and I've often been one of those people to discount any such argument out of hand. It's not that I'm a Carl Apologist™ or anything. It's that I can't believe that anyone could be involved in a pro sport not named “NASCAR” and be worried about profit first.

Basically, I believed that Carl's ego would never allow him to enter a room knowing that only the Bengals and Lions have gone longer without a playoff victory.

But the more I think about it, the more I realize that he can always counter with the Chiefs bottom line.

The thing is, Carl has done some great things—The guy resurrected the franchise out the mess it was in during the latter part of the 70s and a vast majority of the 80s, and turned it into something we could cheer for, something we could be proud of, and something that turned Sundays in Kansas City into an event.

But ... Sweet Jesus. H. Tapdancing Christ On a Pogo Stick. It'd be nice if someone at One Arrowhead Drive realized what the rest of us already know: rebuilding is hard. It can be painful. It can suck so much ass that you consider throwing your television out the window.

But pretty much every single Chiefs fan I know is willing to put up with a few crappy seasons if it means several seasons of championship-possible football.

Carl and Herm just aren’t the guys to do it at this point. It’s time for both of them to go and start this whole thing all over, IMHO. I just don’t think that will realistically happen until 2009—Solari will get the axe this year, and when they suck the year after that anyway, house will be cleaned.

Since I don’t have a direct line to Clark’s island paradise, however, I’ll give credit where credit is due (I like the young safeties, getting Donnie back wasn’t horrific, I think Turk and Tank will turn out), and blast them when necessary (um … 24 points is a stupid goal on offense, not playing Croyle is clinically retarded, and a starting cornerback a lot younger than me would be nice).

What else can I do?

MM
~~:shrug: :arrow:

P.S. Sorry for the thesis. Sheesh … :eek: :)

OnTheWarpath58
09-13-2007, 10:38 AM
I try to take an even tack on both, but that’s starting to change.

Herm is a good guy, and can do well with a veteran team capable of running on autopilot. He also has some of the most entertaining press conferences I've ever heard, and deciphering them can be turned into a science with its own journal and everything.

But IMHO, he is NOT a guy who is going to build a young team into a champion. I just don’t think he’s got the organizational skills, the personality, nor the correct philosophy to do it. He just doesn’t have that something extra you see in championship coaches. Too flaky.

As far as Carl goes … well, in the thread about the release of Medlock—not sure when a non-Super Bowl-winning kicker has ever merited a thread worthy of 200+ posts ... after Week 1, but what the hell—Mecca wrote the following (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showpost.php?p=4206044&postcount=176) and I think it summed it up pretty well:

Many people have brought up the "Carl only wants to sell out the stadium!!" line before, and I've often been one of those people to discount any such argument out of hand. It's not that I'm a Carl Apologist™ or anything. It's that I can't believe that anyone could be involved in a pro sport not named “NASCAR” and be worried about profit first.

Basically, I believed that Carl's ego would never allow him to enter a room knowing that only the Bengals and Lions have gone longer without a playoff victory.

But the more I think about it, the more I realize that he can always counter with the Chiefs bottom line.

The thing is, Carl has done some great things—The guy resurrected the franchise out the mess it was in during the latter part of the 70s and a vast majority of the 80s, and turned it into something we could cheer for, something we could be proud of, and something that turned Sundays in Kansas City into an event.

But ... Sweet Jesus. H. Tapdancing Christ On a Pogo Stick. It'd be nice if someone at One Arrowhead Drive realized what the rest of us already know: rebuilding is hard. It can be painful. It can suck so much ass that you consider throwing your television out the window.

But pretty much every single Chiefs fan I know is willing to put up with a few crappy seasons if it means several seasons of championship-possible football.

Carl and Herm just aren’t the guys to do it at this point. It’s time for both of them to go and start this whole thing all over, IMHO. I just don’t think that will realistically happen until 2009—Solari will get the axe this year, and when they suck the year after that anyway, house will be cleaned.

Since I don’t have a direct line to Clark’s island paradise, however, I’ll give credit where credit is due (I like the young safeties, getting Donnie back wasn’t horrific, I think Turk and Tank will turn out), and blast them when necessary (um … 24 points is a stupid goal on offense, not playing Croyle is clinically retarded, and a starting cornerback a lot younger than me would be nice).

What else can I do?

MM
~~:shrug: :arrow:

P.S. Sorry for the thesis. Sheesh … :eek: :)

Great post.

Mark M
09-13-2007, 10:55 AM
Great post.

Thanks ...

although I'm surprised anyone took half their day off to read the damn thing.

MM
~~:D

a1na2
09-13-2007, 05:08 PM
BTW....why does'nt KC media call Herm on his sometimes idiotic statements? Scared? For a city of savvy football fans, I would have expected better of the media.

Because they are all gutless cowards.