PDA

View Full Version : Conversation with DV

Cormac
05-23-2001, 02:08 PM
Read Here (http://www.kcchiefs.com/latest/mainnews.asp?storyID=2211&cat=4)

He's pushing everyone to be better including Gonzo. That's all very well to expect the most out of people, but if Gonzo is this good, and attributes some of that to having played so much basketball, I wouldn't deliberately try to force him to change his offseason regimen (BB instead of extra weights) unless it was interfering with the rest of the team.

Blackshear looks like he's gone (if there was any doubt). Spears and Willis leading the race for LG.

Nice praise for the book-ends too.

keg in kc
05-23-2001, 06:54 PM
Q: Is the entire offense and defense nearly introduced the players now ?

VERMEIL: "No but I would say 75% of it is."

Those are words I like to hear... ;)

I also liked the words "overwhelming turnout for workouts" although that came as a question and not a statement by DV.

As for Gonzo, I don't see any problem with what DV said about him (i.e. he needs to be bigger and stronger, 255 instead of his current 242). That tells me no player here will be put on a pedestal and everyone is expected to work hard.

htismaqe
05-24-2001, 09:46 AM
I totally agree with what he says about Gonz...if he wants to be the "prototypical" TE, he needs to get bigger and stronger, to distance himself from the Shannon-Sharpe-types. He's obviously a great pass-catcher, but it's not a readily apparent how good of a blocker he is.

I was really stoked about his comments on Victor Riley and John Tait.

Cormac
05-24-2001, 11:31 AM
I just think it's potentially a bad idea to force him into the weight room "to bulk up". With his speed, athleticism and hands as good as they are, it might not be the best idea to have him add weight. Who knows what that might do to his game. It probably would not make much difference if it's just 10 or 12 lbs, but as long as Gonzo does as well as he did last season, at whatever his playing weight was (presumably it wasn't higher), I'm OK with him as he is.

I know it's a crappy analogy comparing golf to football, but there have been several golfers who spent offseasons adding muscle only to never play as well again (Johnny Miller, Nick Faldo). Sometimes being bigger and brawnier doesn't make you a better player. It might make Gonzo a better blocker.....but we don't need him for his blocking. Gonzo is a finesse, pass-catching TE who can beat just about all types of defenders by over-powering some or out-running others. I don't remember looking at him in games and wishing he'd added those 10 lbs.

JMO.

BTW, that was great to read about Riley/Tait!

Cannibal
05-24-2001, 11:37 AM
Cormac hit the nail on the head w/ regards to Gonzo adding weight.

My sentiments exactly...

It's a bad idea.

keg in kc
05-24-2001, 12:08 PM
I could be mistaken, but I believe Gonzo's listed playing weight last season was between 250 and 255, so I don't think Vermeil is asking him to do anything but stay in football shape. This is at least the second time this off-season that DV has called him out for not participating in workouts, and I think that's just the way it should be. The guy's a football player first and foremost, and we have a new staff in here that wants to do a number of things the team hasn't been asked to do before. It seems like everyone is really coming out and putting in the effort to make sure we're up to speed for the June 10 mini camp and then training camp.

Everyone but Tony, that is...

The guy is one of the team leaders and he needs to be putting in the same effort. Hell, it's not like it won't end up helping him post better numbers in the fall anyway.

This ain't the time for prima donnas, this is the time to buckle down and work hard to make the transition as easy as possible.

Just my humble opinion.

htismaqe
05-24-2001, 03:38 PM
Keg:

I agree. As much as I like Tony, I side with DV here. Noone deserves special treatment...Tony should be there like everyone else...

Cannibal/Cormac:

There's ALWAYS room for improvement in anybody's game. You're right, golf to football is a bad analogy. Adding 10lbs. of muscle to his frame would NEVER be a mistake, IMO.

Cormac
05-24-2001, 06:50 PM
htis,

Gonzo's game is running and catching, not blocking. 10lbs isn't going to help him play the game IMO. If he was wearing down at the end of seasons or something, then a change would need to be made, but if he is, I haven't seen it. Maybe it won't make a damn bit of difference.....I was just throwing out the possibility that this might not be a good idea. I didn't say anything about special treatment. Sure, everyone can improve their game......I just think Gonzo makes more improvements each offseason with his current dedication than he would if he had to spend that extra time in the weight room.

Again, JMO :p

milkman
05-24-2001, 06:52 PM
if that's the case, maybe CP can trade him for a conditional draft pick the same as he did with Stai last season.
To bad SD is in the same division as us. They still need a lot of help along the O-Line.
Maybe Cinnci could use a slightly used guard.

Cormac
05-24-2001, 06:57 PM
To get anything in return for Blackshear would be a blessing. Maybe Jax will take him too!

kcfanintitanhell
05-24-2001, 09:12 PM
It is my belief that one needs to step away, for a brief period, from their normal pursuit, to help keep it fresh and in perspective. I think Gonzo's offseason regimen has helped him do that. IMHO, I think DV should tone the criticism down until sometime next September, when, and if (a big if), it is warranted.

An aside to Cormac-Do you ever go to Lynagh's?

bigdaddychieffan
05-24-2001, 10:37 PM
It would nice to have Gonzo be in town though for the offseason workouts if he currently is not. I never agree with leaving well enough alone. There is always room for improvement. Gonzo may not be as featured in the new offense as he was in the old offense in terms of pass catching, so it might be great to get him to be an even better blocker by putting on more weight.

Cormac
05-25-2001, 06:16 AM
Yeah, I've been to Lynagh's a bunch of times. It's always a good spot to go. Probably the best bar food I have ever had. Have you lived in Lexington?

kcfanintitanhell
05-25-2001, 09:23 AM
Cormac-No, I've never lived in Lexington, but I've spent a lot of time in Kentucky-I work with a band that has a pretty decent following in that part of the country. That's why I was asking about Lynagh's-we're working there Friday, June 8.

Cormac
05-25-2001, 09:27 AM
They get some pretty good bands there alright. Unfortunately I am planning on being out of town that weekend - hoping to go to Chicago with the g/f for a short break.