View Full Version : Gretz talks about Medlock

el borracho
09-12-2007, 07:16 AM
http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2007/09/12/gretz_gremlins_got_medlock/

GRETZ: Gremlins Got Medlock
Sep 12, 2007, 2:32:27 AM by Bob Gretz - FAQ

Fear, doubt and worry.

The three gremlins.

They live on the shoulder of every kicker and punter. They never go away. Hit a dozen field goals in a row, or boom a seasonís worth of punts so they canít be returned, and the gremlins are still there. They sit and wait.

Fear, doubt and worry.

When those gremlins get into a kickerís head fear, doubt and worry can end a career. Confidence disappears. Physical skill becomes meaningless. The most powerful legs in the league become Jell-O.

Just ask Justin Medlock.
The Chiefs released Medlock on Monday. If he clears waivers, theyíll place the rookie kicker on the practice squad. Theyíll give him a chance to clear his head of the gremlins.

Heíll clear waivers. Why would any team claim a kicker who in five games as a professional has made just four of eight field goals? Medlock has missed field goals from 30, 37 and 40 yards. In the NFL, those kicks must be automatic, something in the 95 to 100 percent range. Medlock was 50 percent from the 40-yard line and in.

Let me assure you of this: itís all in his head. Fear, doubt and worry have taken everything from him. They moved in and set up housekeeping.

Since he arrived as a fifth-round draft choice back in April, Medlock has probably made 80 to 85 percent of his field goals in practices and workouts. With the exception of one bad afternoon in River Falls when he missed three in a row, Medlock looked like a kicker with a great future.

I watched almost every one of those attempts and Medlock looked like the real deal. Heís got the leg strength. He learned to battle the winds at the Chiefs practice fields just west of Arrowhead. The Chiefs tinkered a bit with his fundamentals, but essentially he arrived a made kicker. His numbers at UCLA were very impressive: 70 of 88 attempts in 49 games, or 79.5 percent of his kicks. In his senior season he made 28 of 32 kicks, or 87.5 percent.

His skills showed on the practice field. But the TV networks donít pay billions and fans donít pay millions and the league doesnít keep track of stats from practice. When it came time to perform in games, Medlock could not get the job done. His 30-yard miss in the first quarter at Houston was more than the Chiefs could take.

The regular season had started as if the Chiefs had scripted the first quarter. The defense allowed the Texans three plays and forced a punt. The offense that had struggled all through the pre-season put together a 15-play drive, covering 76 yards, moving to the Houston 12-yard line. They got bogged down and the field goal unit went on the field.

Coming away with no points from that start was deflating. It was a feast for the gremlins.

ďItís all in his head,Ē Herm Edwards said several times when talking about Medlock on Tuesday.

Itís all about the gremlins in Justin Medlockís head. Once fear, doubt and worry move in, before long they are applying for residency status. They are squatters, darn near impossible to remove. A kicker with no confidence as he lines up a kick, is a guy waiting to fail.

A lot of kickers have gone through what Justin Medlock has experienced over the last five weeks. Most are now stockbrokers, personal trainers, salesmen and corporate executives.

Some find the strength to evict the gremlins. Take Jan Stenerud, the only true kicker in the pro football Hall of Fame. In his rookie season with the Chiefs, Stenerud made 21 of 36 field goals. Thatís 58.3 percent. He ended up playing for 19 seasons, got the gold jacket and now has a bust in Canton.

That bust is of his head only. If they included his shoulders, there would be bronze gremlins sitting on one side.

Fear, doubt and worry.

the Talking Can
09-12-2007, 07:20 AM
so, did Stenerud get cut or was he allowed to play through it?

el borracho
09-12-2007, 07:26 AM
If the problem was nerves I don't see how losing your job after one game will help. Medlock will go back to practice and may improve there but how will he feel if/ when he ever makes the roster again? Seems like there will be even more pressure because he will be thinking about how quickly he could get fired. If we are a young team trying to grow we should have allowed Medlock to grow with us. I don't see how getting fired will make a kicker more relaxed.

OnTheWarpath58
09-12-2007, 07:28 AM
If the problem was nerves I don't see how losing your job after one game will help. Medlock will go back to practice and may improve there but how will he feel if/ when he ever makes the roster again? Seems like there will be even more pressure because he will be thinking about how quickly he could get fired. If we are a young team trying to grow we should have allowed Medlock to grow with us. I don't see how getting fired will make a kicker more relaxed.

:clap: :clap:

siberian khatru
09-12-2007, 07:38 AM
so, did Stenerud get cut or was he allowed to play through it?

Yeah, but the Chiefs weren't contending then and could afford to groom a young kicker.

Oh, wait ...

hawkchief
09-12-2007, 07:50 AM
Thanks, Bob err Carl. Your typical day-after-a-blunder Chiefs front office spin fails again.

You drafted a young kicker because it was obvious to everyone that this was the year to let a guy like Medlock shrink his "gremlins" and possibly begin a Stenerud-like career.

Instead, you pissed down your leg and put your diapers on after he missed a FG. What a pathetic excuse for an organization. I hope Medlock comes back and literally and figuratively kicks your ass some day. Get a clue.

Dunit35
09-12-2007, 08:11 AM
This is rediculous. So, Medlock could've had a Stenerud like rookie season and worked through his mental problems, but instead Carl decided that him missing a field goal could mean 1-2 losses more and 10,000 less seats filled.

It has never really bothered me that Carl was here until they picked Huard as the Starter, cut Sippio, and now cut Medlock after one fuggin game. What the hell is Clark Hunt doing? Step up bitch and show everyone you write the checks.

ChiTown
09-12-2007, 08:16 AM
Thanks, Bob err Carl. Your typical day-after-a-blunder Chiefs front office spin fails again.

You drafted a young kicker because it was obvious to everyone that this was the year to let a guy like Medlock shrink his "gremlins" and possibly begin a Stenerud-like career.

Instead, you pissed down your leg and put your diapers on after he missed a FG. What a pathetic excuse for an organization. I hope Medlock comes back and literally and figuratively kicks your ass some day. Get a clue.

:clap:

Nicely done.

I'll add one more thing. If cutting Medlock was a no-brainer after one NFL game, why the fuk did they not bring in some competition for him during training camp? Seriously, could our President/GM be more of a player personnel dip$hit?

KCChiefsFan88
09-12-2007, 08:27 AM
One of the first moves I'd like to see from whoever ends up eventually replacing Carl as GM is to remove Fat Ass Gretz from 1 Arrowhead Drive.

Rausch
09-12-2007, 08:33 AM

Instead, you pissed down your leg and put your diapers on after he missed a FG.

Pretty much. Once you've decided to draft a guy to develop/start you cut him after one game? ONE GAME?

WTF is that?... :rolleyes:

Rausch
09-12-2007, 08:35 AM
What the hell is Clark Hunt doing? Step up bitch and show everyone you write the checks.

LMAO

Ultra Peanut
09-12-2007, 08:41 AM
Let me assure you of this: itís all in his head. Fear, doubt and worry have taken everything from him. They moved in and set up housekeeping.

Since he arrived as a fifth-round draft choice back in April, Medlock has probably made 80 to 85 percent of his field goals in practices and workouts. With the exception of one bad afternoon in River Falls when he missed three in a row, Medlock looked like a kicker with a great future.Wow, that seems exactly like the sort of guy you should cut after struggling a bit in his first few opportunities. That will do his mind a lot of good.

Dunit35
09-12-2007, 08:44 AM
Wow, that seems exactly like the sort of guy you should cut after struggling a bit in his first few opportunities. That will do his mind a lot of good.

No kidding, I'm pretty sure Herm saying it's all in his head...so we're going to demote him is going to a shit load of good for those "gremlins".

Herm and Carl, do everyone a favor and quit.

StcChief
09-12-2007, 08:47 AM
Kickers... will maybe he will get it straighten him out, with the shape the team is in PreSeason.

Hold out LJ
NO Starting LT during PS.
QB tryouts.

Chemistry has to be little to non-existent

hawkchief
09-12-2007, 08:48 AM
What pisses me off even more is now knowing that he was pretty impressive in camp. That eliminates the "he can't kick the "K" ball, or that he somehow lost his skills since college.

So the kid can still kick, but he needs to adjust to the transition to the NFL. OK, so let's go ahead and cut him from a team that's going absolutley nowhere. Great logic, Carl.

SNR
09-12-2007, 09:07 AM
Yeah, but the Chiefs weren't contending then and could afford to groom a young kicker.

Oh, wait ...There's that word again. :cuss:

HypnotizedMonkey
09-12-2007, 09:12 AM
Medlock acts like a mama's boy.

donkhater
09-12-2007, 09:15 AM
This is the question I have....

How is putting him on the practice squad going to clear up the Gremlins?

There is no doubt in my mind that THE major reason Medlock missed those gimmee FGs is that he doesn't trust or feel comfortable with his holder or snapper. It was born out of preseason when it was DOCUMENTED that they had to work out the kinks of dealing with a left footed kicker.

So now....

The holder and long snapper go back to holding and snapping for a righty, which they haven't done all preseason because Herm said it would confuse them. How is that going to help Rayner? and how is Medlock going to learn to trust his snapper and holder if they have to readjust everytime he gets a chance to prove himself?

IDIOTS!!!!

SNR
09-12-2007, 09:17 AM
I wonder what will happen if Rayner ends up sucking :hmmm:

hawkchief
09-12-2007, 09:20 AM
I wonder what will happen if Rayner ends up sucking :hmmm:

Easy - Carl will trade/give away a 2nd round pick to the Giants to get Tynes back.

StcChief
09-12-2007, 09:25 AM
Left Right Left

isn't that what practice is for

RedThat
09-12-2007, 10:41 AM
I am beginning to think or believe that cutting Medlock was a move the Chiefs made based on emotion. Why do i say this?

Here's my reason:

ďWe are very marginal (on offense) right now,Ē Edwards said. ďWe donít have a lot of room for error.Ē

*Never a good thing when you make a move like that.

Never a good thing when your head coach hits the panic button.

Of course that doesn't go hand in hand if your goal is to play young players to develop them.

Frazod
09-12-2007, 11:03 AM
From KFFL:

Chiefs | Medlock added to practice squad
Wed, 12 Sep 2007 09:45:17 -0700
The Kansas City Chiefs (http://www.kffl.com/team/21/nfl) have signed free-agent PK Justin Medlock (http://www.kffl.com/player/16412/nfl) (Chiefs) to their practice squad.

Wow, the future hall of famer cleared waivers. Apparently all the other 31 GMs are f#cking idiots, too. :rolleyes:

hawkchief
09-12-2007, 11:07 AM
From KFFL:

The Kansas City Chiefs (http://www.kffl.com/team/21/nfl) have signed free-agent PK Justin Medlock (http://www.kffl.com/player/16412/nfl) (Chiefs) to their practice squad.

Wow, the future hall of famer cleared waivers. Apparently all the other 31 GMs are f#cking idiots, too. :rolleyes:

NO, they're just smart enough to allow their kickers a legitimate opportunity to prove whether they can kick or not. They understand it's foolish to continue to throw away draft picks like Carl Peterson routinely does.

TEX
09-12-2007, 11:33 AM
Maybe he just couldn't handle the "competition" since he had so much of it in camp? :rolleyes:

A kicker can't be mentally soft. Maybe he'll get his head straight and be able to work through it.

TEX
09-12-2007, 11:34 AM
Medlock acts like a mama's boy.

ROFL No SH*T!

suds79
09-12-2007, 11:43 AM
http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2007/09/12/gretz_gremlins_got_medlock/

GRETZ: Gremlins Got Medlock
Sep 12, 2007, 2:32:27 AM by Bob Gretz - FAQ

The Chiefs tinkered a bit with his fundamentals, but essentially he arrived a made kicker.

This part is concerning. I'm not saying this is the issue or not but if a guy apparently has already got it down, why would you "tinker" with his fundamentals???

What? So our STs coach can feel like he's doing something? That's stupid.

TEX
09-12-2007, 11:47 AM
This part is concerning. I'm not saying this is the issue or not but if a guy apparently has already got it down, why would you "tinker" with his fundamentals???

What? So our STs coach can feel like he's doing something? That's stupid.

Yeah - I thought the same thing... :hmmm:

donkhater
09-12-2007, 11:48 AM
From KFFL:

A legit point frazod. And if Carl and Herm felt the same way as the other 31 GMS, then all this would be is bashing Carl for wasting a draft pick.

But if they think he'll come around and think highly enough of him to put him on the practice squad, what's the point in giving up so quickly?

htismaqe
09-12-2007, 11:55 AM

31 GM's aren't panicking and cutting their kicker after one game.

Only the Chiefs are that stupid.

Deberg_1990
09-12-2007, 12:12 PM
Didnt Nick Lowry get cut like 11 times before he caught on with the Chiefs? Anybody know?

Frazod
09-12-2007, 12:25 PM
How many years have we wasted on pass rushers who can't pass rush, defensive backs who can't defend against the pass, blockers who can't block, wide receivers who can't catch, etc. Finally we actually expeditiously shitcan a kicker who can't kick and it's the worst goddamn thing ever. :spock:

And the same ones squealing like stuck pigs over this are the same ones who'd be condemning Carl for not getting rid of him if he'd been kept and continued to suck.

And despite htismecca's pathetic attempt to label everyone who doesn't rush out and buy a Medlock jersey a mindless minion of Carl, I will again say that I think Carl sucks just as much as Medlock does. But every now and then he does make a good decision. And IMO, this is one of them.

BigChiefFan
09-12-2007, 12:25 PM
Desperation move.

htismaqe
09-12-2007, 12:30 PM
Didnt Nick Lowry get cut like 11 times before he caught on with the Chiefs? Anybody know?

Some find the strength to evict the gremlins. Take Jan Stenerud, the only true kicker in the pro football Hall of Fame. In his rookie season with the Chiefs, Stenerud made 21 of 36 field goals. Thatís 58.3 percent. He ended up playing for 19 seasons, got the gold jacket and now has a bust in Canton.

I wonder how many times they cut Stenerud...

ChiefsCountry
09-12-2007, 12:32 PM

I wonder how many times they cut Stenerud...

1 :)

htismaqe
09-12-2007, 12:33 PM
How many years have we wasted on pass rushers who can't pass rush, defensive backs who can't defend against the pass, blockers who can't block, wide receivers who can't catch, etc. Finally we actually expeditiously shitcan a kicker who can't kick and it's the worst goddamn thing ever. :spock:

How many of those pass rushers, defensive backs, and blockers were cut after FIVE GAMES?

Oh that's right, none of them.

And you've yet to prove that this kicker can't kick. It's FIVE GAMES.

And the same ones squealing like stuck pigs over this are the same ones who'd be condemning Carl for not getting rid of him if he'd been kept and continued to suck.

Wrong.

And despite htismecca's pathetic attempt to label everyone who doesn't rush out and buy a Medlock jersey a mindless minion of Carl, I will again say that I think Carl sucks just as much as Medlock does. But every now and then he does make a good decision. And IMO, this is one of them.

Tell me another winning team that's made a move like this. Just one.

kregger
09-12-2007, 12:41 PM
This is the question I have....

How is putting him on the practice squad going to clear up the Gremlins?

There is no doubt in my mind that THE major reason Medlock missed those gimmee FGs is that he doesn't trust or feel comfortable with his holder or snapper. It was born out of preseason when it was DOCUMENTED that they had to work out the kinks of dealing with a left footed kicker.

So now....

The holder and long snapper go back to holding and snapping for a righty, which they haven't done all preseason because Herm said it would confuse them. How is that going to help Rayner? and how is Medlock going to learn to trust his snapper and holder if they have to readjust everytime he gets a chance to prove himself?

IDIOTS!!!!
I believe the answer is to shitcan all the placekickers and let DQ dropkick all our FG attempts.

BigChiefFan
09-12-2007, 12:44 PM
Gretz is using gremlins as his legitimate leg to stand on. That's emabarassing. Something that doesn't even exist is used for the basis of his argument.

How far will the organization stoop?

Frazod
09-12-2007, 12:45 PM
How many of those pass rushers, defensive backs, and blockers were cut after FIVE GAMES?

Oh that's right, none of them.

And you've yet to prove that this kicker can't kick. It's FIVE GAMES.

And you've yet to prove he can. So has he. What he has proven is that when his job and career were on the line, he folded like a cheap tent. Yeah, that's the kind of kicker I want to have to rely on when three points mean the difference between making the playoffs or drafting 21st. And there is a vast difference between kicking and playing at those other positions, as you are well aware. And of course, how much better off would we have been if we had whacked some of the idiots we stuck with after five games? Only five games of Bartee would have been a blessing.

Wrong.

My ass. At this point, if Carl cured cancer, you'd come out in favor of cigarettes.

Tell me another winning team that's made a move like this. Just one.

I'm unaware of the location of a failed NFL kicker database. Perhaps you could cut into your program of endless bitching and find one for me, since you seem to be an authority on pretty much everything these days.

Ultra Peanut
09-12-2007, 12:47 PM
Bowe sucked. Cut his ass, because we've already seen enough shitty receivers here in KC to waste our time with someone who's already shown that he can't cut it.

Drummond sucked. Cut his ass.

And on down the line. **** it, we can field a team of 30.

A kicker can't be mentally soft. Maybe he'll get his head straight and be able to work through it.Yeah, kicking on the practice field will definitely help him acclimate to being an NFL player.

HypnotizedMonkey
09-12-2007, 12:50 PM
http://i18.tinypic.com/6h8b0qt.jpg

OnTheWarpath58
09-12-2007, 12:50 PM
Stephen Gostkowski went 3/6 in his first FOUR games as a pro.

He was only trying to fill the shoes of one of, if not the greatest clutch kicker of all time.

Did the Patriots cut him?

Nope.

And he's gone 18/22 (82%) since.

htismaqe
09-12-2007, 12:51 PM
And you've yet to prove he can.

I have 4 years of him being one of the best kickers in college to support my argument. You've got 5 games.

Yeah, that's the kind of kicker I want to have to rely on when three points mean the difference between making the playoffs or drafting 21st.

It's exactly the kind of kicker I want if I realize that I have NO SHOT AT THE PLAYOFFS, but his kind of leg will help me win a couple of playoff games next year or the next.

And of course, how much better off would we have been if we had whacked some of the idiots we stuck with after five games?

And of course, we DIDN'T cut them. We cut the kicker. Far more visible and convenient scapegoat...

My ass. At this point, if Carl cured cancer, you'd come out in favor of cigarettes.

I only said about 500 million times this past offseason that I expected a poor season and I WAS LOOKING FORWARD TO IT. I didn't just wake up one morning and decide to be pissed off at the Chiefs. You're wrong, Tim. Dead wrong.

I'm unaware of the location of a failed NFL kicker database. Perhaps you could cut into your program of endless bitching and find one for me, since you seem to be an authority on pretty much everything these days.

It's called Google, and it's actually pretty easy to use. The simple fact is that you have to resort to these kind of personal attacks because you can't find any facts to support your argument.

htismaqe
09-12-2007, 12:53 PM

He was only trying to fill the shoes of one of, if not the greatest clutch kicker of all time.

Nope.

Vinatieri was 2/5.

So the Patriots went through this not only once but TWICE.

But I'm sure those Lombardi's are sheer coincidence.

Ultra Peanut
09-12-2007, 01:04 PM

Nope.

And he's gone 18/22 (82%) since.Yeah, but I mean, they invested a draft pick in Gotti, so they couldn't just d--wait.

God, I love Gotti.

Frazod
09-12-2007, 01:07 PM
I don't have time to go tit-for-tat with you over this crap, Parker. We've both made our positions abundantly clear.

And I'm sorry, but you've done nothing but bitch lately. That's not an attack, it's a fact. Go back and read your own friggin posts if you don't believe me. Or ask anybody.

Ultra Peanut
09-12-2007, 01:08 PM
I don't have time to go tit-for-tat with you over this crap, Parker. Because you're wrong.

siberian khatru
09-12-2007, 01:09 PM
Christ, this is turning into the Iraq War argument.

All the bluster and strawmen aside, the disagreement revolves around this:

Some people think 8 kicks in 5 games (4 preseason) are sufficient to judge a kicker.
Some people think it's too small a sample size.

Period.

Frazod
09-12-2007, 01:15 PM
Because you're wrong.

I hate to break it to you, but being on the opposite side of an issue from you generally doesn't bother me all that much.

Rausch
09-12-2007, 01:15 PM

LMAO

A little Fatzod is good for the soul...

Frazod
09-12-2007, 01:17 PM
LMAO

A little Fatzod is good for the soul...

Don't make me come down there, dammit. :)

keg in kc
09-12-2007, 01:22 PM
Makes no sense to me to drop a draft pick after one game. We traded away Tynes because we were so convinced this guy would make it. And now this?

If he was on that short a leash, if we were not interested at all in helping him get through problems that were obvious during the preseason, if they had that little faith that he would develop, then we never should have started the season with him on the team.

This is one of the stupider moves of recent memory.

htismaqe
09-12-2007, 01:23 PM
I don't have time to go tit-for-tat with you over this crap, Parker. We've both made our positions abundantly clear.

And I'm sorry, but you've done nothing but bitch lately. That's not an attack, it's a fact. Go back and read your own friggin posts if you don't believe me. Or ask anybody.

I've openly admitted that all I'm doing is bitching. And just why am I?

:hmmm:

htismaqe
09-12-2007, 01:27 PM
Makes no sense to me to drop a draft pick after one game. We traded away Tynes because we were so convinced this guy would make it. And now this?

If he was on that short a leash, if we were not interested at all in helping him get through problems that were obvious during the preseason, if they had that little faith that he would develop, then we never should have started the season with him on the team.

This is one of the stupider moves of recent memory.

Exactly.

The people that think this was a good move are wrong, period.

There's two sides to the argument, as Siberian pointed out.

One camp says "sufficient data, he sucks".

The other camp says "Insufficient data to prove he sucks."

But the issue is that in EITHER scenario, cutting him was DUMB.

If there isn't enough data to pass judgement, he needs more time to develop.

But if 4 preseason games plus 1 regular season game is enough data to say he sucks, then he NEVER SHOULD HAVE BEEN ON THE OPENING DAY ROSTER in the first place.

hawkchief
09-12-2007, 01:29 PM
Christ, this is turning into the Iraq War argument.

All the bluster and strawmen aside, the disagreement revolves around this:

Some people think 8 kicks in 5 games (4 preseason) are sufficient to judge a kicker.
Some people think it's too small a sample size.

Period.

I think the bigger issue is that the Chiefs, under Carl Peterson, now find themselves squarely in the middle of an organizational faceplant, with a boatload of crappy players on the team. Medlock could have actually turned out to be a long-term solution as a kicker - we'll likely never know.

Cutting the top kicker taken in the draft is the equivalent of Carl sticking his dick into a pea sized hole into the dam after he's already blown a hole the size of Rosie O'Donnel in it. This team needs a lot more than potentially upgrading the kicker position and leisurely casting away draft picks like they grow on trees before they have a legitimate opportunity to show what they can do.

Cutting one of your valuable draft picks from the 30th ranked team (ESPN's Power Rankings) is just plain shortsided and stupid.

the Talking Can
09-12-2007, 01:32 PM
There is no argument that this franchise is stupid.

shaneo69
09-12-2007, 02:13 PM
I have no problem with this move. Had we not brought Medlock back to the PS and gone out and signed 43 year old John Carney instead of Rayner, then I would be pissed.

Rayner was a 6th round pick two years ago, and kicked in the Big 10 in college. He was able to spend his entire rookie year handling the kickoffs for the Colts. Then he kicked pretty well for the Packers last year at Lambeau. If we had the ability to keep an extra kicker on our roster, it would've been nice to let Medlock just handle kickoffs this year, but at least we've been able to retain him on the PS to hopefully compete with Rayner next offseason.

But if Medlock leaves for another team or can't beat out Rayner next year, I'm fine with it. Rayner could be our kicker for the next 10 years.

Frazod
09-12-2007, 02:24 PM
I've openly admitted that all I'm doing is bitching. And just why am I?

:hmmm:
Because you're letting events completely beyond your control drive you insane?

Do you know why I'm so happy with this? It's not because I'm completely sold on the idea that he's a bust who will never pan out. It's not because I hate Medlock. It's because on Sunday I watched that f#cker shank a 30-yard field goal and I screamed at the TV "CUT HIS F#CKING ASS," and the next day IT ACTUALLY HAPPENED. Made me feel empowered. :D

This team sucks. The people who are running it suck. But dwelling on it will eat me alive, so I'm not going to.

So instead I've found happiness in the fact that they whacked the kicker who can't kick. Hooray beer.

shaneo69
09-12-2007, 02:32 PM
BTW, if you think this was a bad pick by Carl, I can remember making fun of my friends who were football Cardinals' fans back in 1986 when Bidwell drafted John Lee, a kicker from UCLA, 32nd overall.

He got cut early in his rookie year after going 8-13 on FG and 14-17 on XP. Surprisingly, nobody else picked him up.

Lee's replacement, some guy named Eric Schubert, then ended up finishing the year 3-11 on FG.

tk13
09-12-2007, 02:33 PM
I understand why we made the move... but I'd agree it doesn't make sense to bring up all the great kickers who struggled at the start, then saying we should've cut Medlock instead of letting him work through it.

Hydrae
09-12-2007, 02:50 PM
My question is, how will you ever know if he is ready to play in a live game again? If he looked good in practice before, he will again. When do you want to take the chance to put him in again? What will change on the practice field that will tell the coaches that he is ready for live bullets?

Personally I still haven't figured out why we cut Tynes to begin with. We certainly don't appear to have replaced him with anything better and spent a draft pick for the priviledge. I know he missed a kick in the playoffs, etc but I haven't seen anything any better yet. If the problem was his short kickoffs, why the heck not have Colquit kick off? He obviously has the leg for it.

KC Tattoo
09-12-2007, 03:16 PM
Here is the problem imo. We drafted a left footed kicker. If you draft a left footed kicker then you need to be 100% patient with him and allow the holder time to adjust to holding on the oposite side of a right footed kicker. Even if Dustin does everything right for the hold it is still tuff for him to be comfortable doing it. Now we go back to a right footed kicker and Dustin has to relearn how to hold the ball for a right footed kicker.

I think in time Medlock would be an accurate kicker. However he didn't show any signs that he could kick the ball to the endzone on kick offs. I want a kicker that can kick the ball to the back of the endzone so the other team starts at the 20 and not at the 35 or 40. I think a kicker with a strong leg can improve on his accruacy but a kicker who is accurate but can't kick it far, wont.

Ultra Peanut
09-12-2007, 03:26 PM
I hate to break it to you, but being on the opposite side of an issue from you generally doesn't bother me all that much.Love you too, snookums.

Personally I still haven't figured out why we cut Tynes to begin with. Because he'd been here for three years and was still inconsistent and prone to choking at horribly inopportune times?

Mecca
09-12-2007, 03:38 PM

Nope.

The thing about them is they are/were a legit Super Bowl contending team breaking in Gostkowski and they still didn't cut him.

We aren't a contender yet we cut a kicker like he's the difference in our team being a contender or not, that's why the Pat's are a model franchise that knows how to handle players while we are not.

NaptownChief
09-12-2007, 03:57 PM
I think Medlock will end up a good kicker in the NFL. But he obviously struggled mentally much more than you can allow. He may not be mentally tough enough to make in the NFL but I would imagine next year he will be on somebody's opening day roster.

I wish he hadn't $hit himself because he has an impressive leg, just let his head get in the way.

Calcountry
09-12-2007, 04:16 PM
so, did Stenerud get cut or was he allowed to play through it?Yeah, but he fugged em up as bad as the Unmentionable one on Christmas 1971.

Iowanian
09-12-2007, 04:26 PM
I think McGrits very clearly shined a light on the problem with Medlock.

"The Chiefs tinkered a bit with his fundamentals"

DenverChief
09-12-2007, 04:48 PM
why is he not on the PS yet? AM I gonna hafta go postal on someone?

:bang:http://www.rotary13.org/Images/Speakers/carl_d_peterson.jpg

HypnotizedMonkey
09-12-2007, 05:12 PM
we're doomed.

cdcox
09-12-2007, 05:46 PM
The thing about them is they are/were a legit Super Bowl contending team breaking in Gostkowski and they still didn't cut him.

We aren't a contender yet we cut a kicker like he's the difference in our team being a contender or not, that's why the Pat's are a model franchise that knows how to handle players while we are not.

Oh, the Chiefs are absolutely a model franchise. One of the elite franchises of the league. Carl said so.

Mecca
09-12-2007, 05:49 PM
Oh, the Chiefs are absolutely a model franchise. One of the elite franchises of the league. Carl said so.

At goading and manipulating fans into selling out a stadium, yes. At actually running a team that can really win a Super Bowl, no.

htismaqe
09-12-2007, 07:40 PM
I have no problem with this move. Had we not brought Medlock back to the PS and gone out and signed 43 year old John Carney instead of Rayner, then I would be pissed.

Rayner was a 6th round pick two years ago, and kicked in the Big 10 in college. He was able to spend his entire rookie year handling the kickoffs for the Colts. Then he kicked pretty well for the Packers last year at Lambeau. If we had the ability to keep an extra kicker on our roster, it would've been nice to let Medlock just handle kickoffs this year, but at least we've been able to retain him on the PS to hopefully compete with Rayner next offseason.

But if Medlock leaves for another team or can't beat out Rayner next year, I'm fine with it. Rayner could be our kicker for the next 10 years.

The only problem is that Rayner has a MUCH larger sample size with which to predict his possible success or failure - and he's never hit more than 75% IN HIS LIFE.

htismaqe
09-12-2007, 07:42 PM
I think Medlock will end up a good kicker in the NFL. But he obviously struggled mentally much more than you can allow. He may not be mentally tough enough to make in the NFL but I would imagine next year he will be on somebody's opening day roster.

I wish he hadn't $hit himself because he has an impressive leg, just let his head get in the way.

It's the Chiefs. If any team can mentally ruin a player, it would be them.

TEX
09-12-2007, 07:47 PM
Man, I really can't believe all the talk about Medlock. The guy flat out $UCKS right now. They cut him, he cleared waivers, and he's on the practice squad. Either he'll get it together or he won't. He's a freaking kicker! End of story.

htismaqe
09-12-2007, 07:51 PM
Man, I really can't believe all the talk about Medlock. The guy flat out $UCKS right now. They cut him, he cleared waivers, and he's on the practice squad. Either he'll get it together or he won't. He's a freaking kicker! End of story.

He IS just a kicker. And he did suck.

But you're letting those things get in the way of recognizing how PROFOUNDLY stupid this move is.

If he was bad enough that they knew to cut him after ONE GAME, how in the hell did he make it through all of preseason? With NO COMPETITION? Seriously, this is one of the dumbest personnel moves, kicker or not, that I've ever seen them make.

And when you add it to all the other things they've done this offseason, while trying to sell the fanbase on a completely different bill of goods, is downright maddening.

hawkchief
09-12-2007, 08:09 PM

Carl's the one who shat himself here, not Medlock. Peterson can't stand the thought of the TV black-outs that are likely coming to KC this winter.