PDA

View Full Version : 30 years ago today in KC...

chiefqueen
09-12-2007, 08:28 AM
If you're old enough (& living in KC then) share your memories (PLAZA flood)

I'll do mine later.

Dartgod
09-12-2007, 08:31 AM
I remember that there was a flood. That's about it.

splatbass
09-12-2007, 10:06 AM
I was taking auto body classes in a Vo Tech during high school and GM donated a brand new Chevy to the school that had been on a car lot during the flood (I have no idea where the car dealer was, but it was in the path of the flood). The seats and carpet were soaked with mud. We stripped the car and rebuilt it.

Chief Faithful
09-12-2007, 10:10 AM
I remember all low streets being flooded throughout the city. It took us all evening to cross the city because of all the flooded roads.

alpha_omega
09-12-2007, 10:16 AM
Don't remember much, except that the Royals were really good at the time.

ChiTown
09-12-2007, 10:20 AM
I grew up in Westwood, a stones throw to the Plaza

I remember helping my Dad bail water out of the basement all night and into the morning, and missing school the next day. I can still remember the smell of the gasoline in our house from the pump that we used to get the water out of the house.

BucEyedPea
09-12-2007, 10:22 AM
My sister lives in Westwood.

Planetman
09-12-2007, 10:27 AM
My uncle got his car swept away. He climbed out and swam to a tree. A rather large bail of hay came by and removed him from that tree. He swam for a while longer until he found another tree. Waitied for the water to calm and reside a bit and then he swam out.

Dave Lane
09-12-2007, 11:01 AM
I was at the Royals game that night. I remember running to the car with this tennis sweater on that reached my knees by the time I finally found my Mustang II in the parking lot. I remember coming down Metcalfe Ave and seeing the cars floating out into the street. I had to running blast through a huge 2 foot deep surge about 83rd and Lamar on my way to my house at 71st and Horton. I had no idea till the next day how bad things were and how lucky I was getting home without incident.

underEJ
09-12-2007, 12:07 PM
I was 7. We played in the rain in our bathing suits at first and then the water flowing to the storm drains kept coming and coming so we had to go inside. Our house in Brookside was fine (the leaky basement had a good enough drain to let the flowing water go through without standing, but my Mom worked on the Plaza so we were helping clean up after, and all I know is I can still smell the standing water damage today. It's a horrible smell.

MOhillbilly
09-12-2007, 12:08 PM
i lived in kc at the time but i was 3.

chiefqueen
09-12-2007, 12:40 PM
I was 13 and waiting for my parents to come home. My parents had gone to eat dinner in Westport. Turns out, while driving back Mom & Dad had an argument about which way to go (we lived in the Turner area). Dad wanted to go down Southwest Blvd near Turkey Creek, Mom wanted to go I-35, luckily Mom won that argument.

I also remember the Royals being rained out (which I think force them to play DH'ers for 3 consecutive days).

I remember hearing about one Royals player (either AO or White) picking up 4 stranded teens and letting them stay in his house.

And, I also remembered, what George Brett did that night, but I want to see if anyone else does. Rep to the one that gets it.

elvomito
09-12-2007, 01:36 PM
wow!

http://img128.imageshack.us/img128/3189/brushcreekhistorical197kc7.jpg