PDA

View Full Version : Chiefsplanet gearheads, I call upon thee

Saulbadguy
09-12-2007, 06:28 PM
Here is the scenario:

My wife was driving her 1991 Geo Prizm down interstate 70 yesterday when her radiator blew. Coolant, everywhere. We got it towed to a repair shop, and of course, they replaced the radiator. Then they said the fan wasn't working, but they fixed that (free of charge). Now, they said the engine was still overheating, so they want to replace the thermostat. I said sure. They will get back to me tomorrow morning.

Is there anything else I might expect them to tack on to diagnose an overheating problem? He said he wasn't sure the thermostat would fix it, but he thought it would, but he wanted to make sure.

Thoughts? Advice?

Iowanian
09-12-2007, 06:32 PM
Thermostat and or waterpump would be next, and both legit and likely culprits.

they should be able to spin the water pump and either see a leak or hear a problem in the bearing or see a wobble.

If there was foam-milky oil on the dipstick, its an outside chance you've got a cracked head or head gasket issue, but even a walmart idiot should be able to see that on a dipstick.

Oh yeah....tell her it won't run as hot if she takes the parking break off.....

Coach
09-12-2007, 06:33 PM

they should be able to spin the water pump and either see a leak or hear a problem in the bearing or see a wobble.

Agreed on the thermostat and/or waterpump.

Dartgod
09-12-2007, 06:36 PM
Put out a really big bowl of antifre....er, nevermind.

Iowanian
09-12-2007, 06:38 PM
This job is going to require the entire bottle Dart...

Dartgod
09-12-2007, 06:39 PM
This job is going to require the entire bottle Dart...
You're right. I edited my post to reflect that.

Frazod
09-12-2007, 06:39 PM
I just can't quite believe that a 1991 Geo Prism is still servicable. :eek:

C-Mac
09-12-2007, 06:41 PM
At least the thermostat is a cheap fix, water pump is another story. Many times, as stated above, the water pump will start to leak when its wearing out. What concerns me is its something fairly easy to diagnose so they should have caught that from the start. Even an air pocket can cause overheating and is easy to get when changing out radiators.

Skip Towne
09-12-2007, 06:42 PM
How much is that car worth? The bills run up quickly at the repair shop.

Deberg_1990
09-12-2007, 06:44 PM
How much is that car worth? The bills run up quickly at the repair shop.

Good Point. I wouldnt think a 91 Geo Prism would be worth much and probably isnt worth throwing much money in to?

Iowanian
09-12-2007, 06:45 PM
I was just going to mention what C-mac had about an air pocket when they put in the new radiator....

Extra Point
09-12-2007, 06:50 PM
A radiator cap is cheap! If the relief valve in the cap isn't working, that will blow the system.

Dr. Facebook Fever
09-12-2007, 06:50 PM
1991 Geo Prizm

[redneck mechanic voice]There's your problem right thar[/redneck mechanic voice]

Cochise
09-12-2007, 06:57 PM
I just can't quite believe that a 1991 Geo Prism is still servicable. :eek:

Actually, the reason why you still see a lot of those on the road is because they are rebadged Toyotas. There was a joint venture between GM and Toyota and they were built by Toyota here in the US. Identical to the Corolla of the same vintage.

Demonpenz
09-12-2007, 07:02 PM
i have an aunt who has the same year and model

Saulbadguy
09-12-2007, 07:03 PM
Actually, the reason why you still see a lot of those on the road is because they are rebadged Toyotas. There was a joint venture between GM and Toyota and they were built by Toyota here in the US. Identical to the Corolla of the same vintage.
Yep, Toyota engine and all.

Extra Point
09-12-2007, 07:04 PM

THAT IS CORRECT, SIR!!!

Saulbadguy
09-12-2007, 07:16 PM

If there was foam-milky oil on the dipstick, its an outside chance you've got a cracked head or head gasket issue, but even a walmart idiot should be able to see that on a dipstick.

Thanks for the help.

If it happens to be the water pump, no way in hell i'd pay for that. They should have caught that BEFORE replacing the radiator, and thermostat. I know replacing a water pump is $$$ - radiator, not so much.

I'm optomistic this will fix it all, just wanted to some affirmation before hand.

HemiEd
09-12-2007, 08:10 PM
Sounds to me like they are stabbing at a bunch of symptoms. Is there any water in the oil? Just pull the dipstick and see if it is milky. If the oil shows clean, you will need to have a compression test.

These motors were infamous for blowing head gaskets, resulting in overheating. Depending on where the head gasket blows, it could do a lot of different things, like overpressurize the cooling system and blowing a plastic/aluminum radiator up.

Of course, for that to happen, the cap had to fail or the vent on the overflow tank be plugged up.

HemiEd
09-12-2007, 08:14 PM
Oh, and one more thing. If you had a enough coolant left to provide pressure enough to blow the radiator up, it is not the water pump. When a water pump goes out, the bearing fails and dumps the water past the seal.

C-Mac
09-12-2007, 09:28 PM

Yes, we nicknamed them Toylet's.

Phobia
09-12-2007, 10:01 PM
A 17 year old Geo? She should have found herself a better Jewish guy.

blueballs
09-12-2007, 10:10 PM
THAT IS CORRECT, SIR!!!

I'm amazed at the number of 80s K cars on the road
Plymouth Aclaim/Crysler New Yorker/ Dodge whatever ect
those little boxes are everywhere and don't look to bad for wear