PDA

View Full Version : So, I ruined a $12 ribeye tonight

TinyEvel
09-12-2007, 10:17 PM
Got home too late to grill outside. Put it on the "Calphalon grill pan" which is like a sautee pan with raised ribbing, like a grill. I kind of went into it figuring I was already boned.

Yep.

Dry as hell.

Tossed that shit in the garbage can and made a bean burrito (viva Los Angeles!)

Has anyone had sucess grilling beef on one of these things? (chicken is OK, if you hammer it flat or cut the breast into fillets)

Fishpicker
09-12-2007, 10:20 PM
you didn't put the steak inside the burrito? shame on you.

pr_capone
09-12-2007, 10:21 PM
Never messed with a grill pan but I like to pan fry my steaks when I can't be bothered to go and fire up the grill.

I always set the eye to hi and let it heat up. Get the pan ready and throw the steak on long enough to sear each side of meat.

Afterwards I cool everything down and proceed with my cooking till done.

I get tender steaks every time.

Ultra Peanut
09-12-2007, 10:21 PM
Go onnn...

Phobia
09-12-2007, 10:22 PM
What PR said. Did you squeeze all the juice out or what? It's really hard to jack up a well marbled piece of meat but I guess some morons can do it.

Fishpicker
09-12-2007, 10:28 PM
Never messed with a grill pan but I like to pan fry my steaks when I can't be bothered to go and fire up the grill.

I always set the eye to hi and let it heat up. Get the pan ready and throw the steak on long enough to sear each side of meat.

Afterwards I cool everything down and proceed with my cooking till done.

I get tender steaks every time.

pan frying is good. I think pan frying is especially useful when you fry before you grill. it seals in the juices. I would never throw away a rib-eye unless it was an absolute cinder with nothing to be salvaged.

chief52
09-12-2007, 10:35 PM
Damn, I really did not think there was a way to screw up a rib eye that bad. Regardless of what method you use to cook it, just do not "over cook" it...Hot and juicy :)

the Talking Can
09-12-2007, 10:40 PM
i use a grill pan all the time...you have a gas stove right?

fire it up on high till it is screaming hot, sear each side for 1-2 min, then pop the whole thing into a 400 degree oven for 7-10mins depending on the thickness of your steak, desired doneness...works great

Sirloin is even easier..4-6 minutes on each side, let it rest, slice it thin...perfect pink, delicious

salt and pepper each side liberally before cooking, all i ever do...

ps

dryness has nothing to do with the pan, everything to do with overcooking it...lol

BWillie
09-12-2007, 10:42 PM
I am to lazy. I just go to Texas Roadhouse, or Outback. 12.99 outback special and a beer, can't beat that. And it's great too. And they clean it up after me and do my dishes. I don't have a wife yet, so I like that part of it.

Phobia
09-12-2007, 10:46 PM
Don't ever throw away meat. Pop it in the freezer and make Texas chili out of it at a later date.

TinyEvel
09-12-2007, 10:46 PM
Yeah, I was on ChiefsPlanet while cooking.

= OVERCOOK! :banghead:

cdcox
09-12-2007, 10:51 PM
My preferred way of cooking steaks is in a cast iron skillet. Turn it on the high side of medium high with 1.5 T of butter and 1.5 T of canola oil. I tell doneness by poking them with my finger, always erring on the side of less done.

I then make a great pan sauce. It takes a full day to make the base for the sauce. Fortunately, it makes enough for about 4 meals and freezes well.

blueballs
09-12-2007, 11:00 PM
man card needs revoked

trndobrd
09-12-2007, 11:01 PM
I use a cast iron skillet, heat it until it is as hot as I can get it and preheat the oven to 450. Cover both sides of the steak with coarse kosher salt. Toss it on the skillet for about 1 minute, flip it (with tongs of course), sear it for a minute on the other side, then pop the skillet and meat in the oven for 5 minutes.

Pull it out, put it on a cutting board to let it rest for 10 minutes. Brush off all the salt. Slice and enjoy.

Simplex3
09-12-2007, 11:13 PM

I expect you to fly here tomorrow and turn in your man card.

:harumph:

Fishpicker
09-12-2007, 11:17 PM
I expect you to fly here tomorrow and turn in your man card.

:harumph:

I thought it was a nice save. classic even.

dtebbe
09-12-2007, 11:31 PM
man card needs revoked

Real men can cook. If you can't cook you are just a helpless little bitch, now aren't you?

DT

SPchief
09-12-2007, 11:35 PM
Real men can cook. If you can't cook you are just a helpless little bitch, now aren't you?

DT

His mom probably cooks for him.

blueballs
09-12-2007, 11:37 PM
I know what your mom's got cooking

blueballs
09-12-2007, 11:38 PM
and it's got icing

RJ
09-13-2007, 01:14 AM
Got home too late to grill outside. Put it on the "Calphalon grill pan" which is like a sautee pan with raised ribbing, like a grill. I kind of went into it figuring I was already boned.

Yep.

Dry as hell.

Has anyone had sucess grilling beef on one of these things? (chicken is OK, if you hammer it flat or cut the breast into fillets)

You gots no broiler? Depending on how the steak is cut I often prefer the broiler to a skillet or a stove top grill.

Actually, I've bought a couple of those ribbed grill pans but didn't much like either one. If I wanted to do a steak stove top I'd use the cast iron skillet.

Fishpicker
09-13-2007, 01:16 AM
You gots no broiler? Depending on how the steak is cut I often prefer the broiler to a skillet or a stove top grill.

Actually, I've bought a couple of those ribbed grill pans but didn't much like either one. If I wanted to do a steak stove top I'd use the cast iron skillet.
with butter? am I right?

Bob Dole
09-13-2007, 01:16 AM
Just rub some dirt on it, eat the ****ing thing raw and move on.

Phobia
09-13-2007, 01:19 AM
Just rub some dirt on it, eat the ****ing thing raw and move on.

Arkansas grilling done right!

luv
09-13-2007, 01:32 AM
Two minutes on one side, and three on the other.

Bob Dole
09-13-2007, 01:32 AM
Arkansas grilling done right!

Where do you keep coming up with the Arkansas stuff? It's not Bob Dole's fault that you can't read the speed limit signs and you got nailed by a guy who doesn't own any shoes.

HonestChieffan
09-13-2007, 07:20 AM
Talking Can gave you the answer.

Jilly
09-13-2007, 07:25 AM
Ok, so I used mine a lot to make my freaking awesome salad (it has steak so no, I don't grill the lettuce). Anyhow, use low to medium heat....brush the pan with olive oil and garlic, let it heat, set the steak on it... if there gets to be too much grease, drain it mid way... if you like it medium, it should only take about 8 minutes all together....

FYI - for the salad, I always melt blue cheese over the top of the steak

Fire Me Boy!
09-13-2007, 07:38 AM
Trash the grill pan. Get a 12-inch cast iron skillet from Wal-Mart (Lodge). Seriously. Cooks Illustrated (a pretty well-respected cooking journal) gave the 12-inch cast iron skillet higher markings over MUCH more expensive pans, like Le Crusset.

Like pr said, get it on high and sear it on both sides, then crank the heat back to finish it to your liking. You could also sear on one side, flip and immediately put it in a 350-degree oven for a few minutes.

And 2 thing: Never squeeze the juice out, and never use a fork or something that pierces the meat. ONLY use tongs.

Fire Me Boy!
09-13-2007, 07:39 AM
Ok, so I used mine a lot to make my freaking awesome salad (it has steak so no, I don't grill the lettuce). Anyhow, use low to medium heat....brush the pan with olive oil and garlic, let it heat, set the steak on it... if there gets to be too much grease, drain it mid way... if you like it medium, it should only take about 8 minutes all together....

FYI - for the salad, I always melt blue cheese over the top of the steak
You lose a lot of flavor and juice by cooking it that way. You should sear it first, then take the heat down to med-low to med.

Groves
09-13-2007, 08:17 AM
Don't ever throw away meat. Pop it in the freezer and make Texas chili out of it at a later date.

Silly Phil, everyone knows that chili is just beans, meat optional, huh. Chili = Beans, right? :) Train us up one more time.

Simply Red
09-13-2007, 08:23 AM
I'd have blackened it in Olive oil on very high heat. But only if I had to.

ottawa_chiefs_fan
09-13-2007, 08:43 AM
Got home too late to grill outside.

I am still kind of stuck on this.... Was it too dark? Possible bear/racoon attack? Don't have a propane barbeque (that's what we call it up here) - bottom line - eat peanut butter and jam and wait 'til you can cook properly....

Jilly
09-13-2007, 08:45 AM
You lose a lot of flavor and juice by cooking it that way. You should sear it first, then take the heat down to med-low to med.

I'll try that next time if I'm actually cooking steak for the sake of steak. But if it's me, I don't care if it's 1am outside, if I want a damn ribeye I will grill it out freaking side!!!

crazycoffey
09-13-2007, 08:48 AM
I have lost some respect for you..... how can you even entertain the idea of putting a nice steak on any type of kitchen appliance/apparatus.

Hamburger? sure, even a roast if you must, but a higher end cut like that belongs on a grill, even if it's a gas grill.....

I expected more from you, so much more. I'm going to go take a shit now.

crazycoffey
09-13-2007, 08:52 AM

Even I, can take five minutes away from this cesspool to cook a steak. :shake: - I'm still so disappointed.

Fire Me Boy!
09-13-2007, 09:14 AM
I'll try that next time if I'm actually cooking steak for the sake of steak. But if it's me, I don't care if it's 1am outside, if I want a damn ribeye I will grill it out freaking side!!!
I agree. But you said when you make that salad you put the steak on med-low heat to cook it. I was just saying that even if you're doing it in a pan, the flavor would be better if you seared it first. The way you're sorta slow-cooking it loses flavor, texture, and juice.

Just sayin'.

Jilly
09-13-2007, 09:19 AM
I agree. But you said when you make that salad you put the steak on med-low heat to cook it. I was just saying that even if you're doing it in a pan, the flavor would be better if you seared it first. The way you're sorta slow-cooking it loses flavor, texture, and juice.

Just sayin'.

ah, you don't think that would make it kinda tough on the outside...I forgot to mention, when I'm making the salad, I usually cut the meat first and I don't use ribeye...you think I should sear it first and cook it and then cut it??? I can try that and see what happens.

Fire Me Boy!
09-13-2007, 09:22 AM
ah, you don't think that would make it kinda tough on the outside...I forgot to mention, when I'm making the salad, I usually cut the meat first and I don't use ribeye...you think I should sear it first and cook it and then cut it??? I can try that and see what happens.
Yup. Sear it, cook it to your liking (med rare for best texture on just about any steak), then let it under a tin-foil tent for 5-10 minutes. After the resting period, slice at a 45 degree angle across the grain about 1/4-inch thick.

It'll be mahvelous!

Jilly
09-13-2007, 09:25 AM
Yup. Sear it, cook it to your liking (med rare for best texture on just about any steak), then let it under a tin-foil tent for 5-10 minutes. After the resting period, slice at a 45 degree angle across the grain about 1/4-inch thick.

It'll be mahvelous!

geez, my mouth is watering thinking about it!! thanks for the tips! I'll let you know how it goes!

Fire Me Boy!
09-13-2007, 10:15 AM
thanks for the tip!
Just for a minute? Just to see how it feels?

Baby Lee
09-13-2007, 10:18 AM
Ouch, ouch, you're on my hair!!

ENDelt260
09-13-2007, 10:22 AM
Got home too late to grill outside.

I don't understand this sentence.

Baby Lee
09-13-2007, 10:24 AM
I have lost some respect for you..... how can you even entertain the idea of putting a nice steak on any type of kitchen appliance/apparatus.
If your stove has enough power and your pan can take it, pan-seared and convection finished steaks can be very good. the only plus to a grill is if you smoke some fragrant woods to infuse the meat.
Ruth's Chris uses an 1800 degree oven.

Jilly
09-13-2007, 10:25 AM

I don't know. One minute might just be all you need. ;)

allen_kcCard
09-13-2007, 11:41 AM
Best way to do a ribeye indoors in my opinion:

Season with a good amount of salt and pepper on both sides.

Put a cast iron skillet in the oven and crank it to 500 degrees.

When the oven is close to hot turn your biggest burner on full blast.

Take the hot skillet out of the oven and put it on the burner, toss in the ribeye and jump back, try not to get blasted by the steam and smoke

Count to 30, turn it over and jump back again.

Count to 30, toss the pan into the still hot oven.

Timer 5 minutes, turn the steak, 5 minutes more and it is done.

I love my ribeye like this and would do it ALL the time if not for the huge amount of smoke from the searing. The steak is really juicy, the fatty parts are like gellatin and the sear is so fast that is doesn't have the dark sear taste to it tat friggen restauraunts always seem to get on thiers.

BigChiefFan
09-13-2007, 12:00 PM
I don't understand this sentence.Holyshit, I haven't seen an endelt post here in a while. Of course I haven't been a round alot this past off-season. Good to see the delt man.

Sully
09-13-2007, 12:02 PM
Don't you dare effing change the way you cook the steak for that salad.

Fire Me Boy!
09-13-2007, 12:26 PM

Take the hot skillet out of the oven and put it on the burner, toss in the ribeye and jump back, try not to get blasted by the steam and smoke

I love my ribeye like this and would do it ALL the time if not for the huge amount of smoke from the searing. The steak is really juicy, the fatty parts are like gellatin and the sear is so fast that is doesn't have the dark sear taste to it tat friggen restauraunts always seem to get on thiers.
I would try that in a heartbeat if I lived in my old house... I had an attic fan then -- open the windows and turn the attic fan on and it's acts like a giant ventilator.

But I don't have an attic fan anymore!

I would think, by the way, at those temps your steak ends up being medium... how thick a steak are you using and how does it turn out (med-rare, med, med-well)?

Fire Me Boy!
09-13-2007, 12:26 PM
I stand by my suggestion. :harumph:

Phobia
09-13-2007, 12:28 PM

No, she really should. If you like the old way you'll love the better way. Listen to people who know.

the Talking Can
09-13-2007, 12:31 PM
i set off my fire alarm every time, but it is worth it...I like my entire apartment smelling like steak

allen_kcCard
09-13-2007, 12:32 PM
I would try that in a heartbeat if I lived in my old house... I had an attic fan then -- open the windows and turn the attic fan on and it's acts like a giant ventilator.

But I don't have an attic fan anymore!

I would think, by the way, at those temps your steak ends up being medium... how thick a steak are you using and how does it turn out (med-rare, med, med-well)?

I would say it is close to medium well, but even at that it is as juicy as most med-rare that you would get...just hotter and browner if that makes sense.

You could easily just take down the time in the oven to 4 and 4 minutes..or less if you want to go rarer, but upping the time gets chancy because there is a whole lotta cookin going on in a short amount of time.

I just love the thought of a good ribeye going from raw on the counter to ready for yummy in my tummy in 11 minutes (although a rest before eating is a good idea since a lot of the juice in there is wondering how it got wtfpwnd so fast and will run out all over your plate if you cut into it too soon)

Fire Me Boy!
09-13-2007, 12:37 PM
I would say it is close to medium well, but even at that it is as juicy as most med-rare that you would get...just hotter and browner if that makes sense.

You could easily just take down the time in the oven to 4 and 4 minutes..or less if you want to go rarer, but upping the time gets chancy because there is a whole lotta cookin going on in a short amount of time.

I just love the thought of a good ribeye going from raw on the counter to ready for yummy in my tummy in 11 minutes (although a rest before eating is a good idea since a lot of the juice in there is wondering how it got wtfpwnd so fast and will run out all over your plate if you cut into it too soon)
That's too done for my tastes... a good cut of beef should be med-rare. I'd say that hot 3-4 min. on each side would be plenty, depending on the thickness.

Thanks for the tip. I'll give it a shot sometime.

Fire Me Boy!
09-13-2007, 12:38 PM
No, she really should. If you like the old way you'll love the better way. Listen to people who know.
Sweet. I'm people who know.

Baby Lee
09-13-2007, 01:04 PM

Do you tent it and give it 5 minutes rest? Very important final step.

BIG_DADDY
09-13-2007, 01:06 PM
Dry steak = over cooked.

Fire Me Boy!
09-13-2007, 01:12 PM
QFT

Jilly
09-13-2007, 01:21 PM

here's what I'll do, I'll cook it the regular way and then I'll just get another steak and try it the other way and see which one is better? Nothing's too much for my man!! Anything to make sure I keep you happy!

Fire Me Boy!
09-13-2007, 01:24 PM
here's what I'll do, I'll cook it the regular way and then I'll just get another steak and try it the other way and see which one is better? Nothing's too much for my man!! Anything to make sure I keep you happy!
Not trying to be smug or anything (I don't drive a Prius), but I'll be genuinely surprised if you don't like my way better.

Jilly
09-13-2007, 01:26 PM
Not trying to be smug or anything (I don't drive a Prius), but I'll be genuinely surprised if you don't like my way better.

oh, I don't doubt it, but that salad has gotten me a little :hump: way too often for me to just f it up and take chances

Simply Red
09-13-2007, 01:33 PM
"Resting" is for standing rib-roasts, lasagna, and chuck-roasts.

Fish
09-13-2007, 01:40 PM
oh, I don't doubt it, but that salad has gotten me a little :hump: way too often for me to just f it up and take chances

People hump you for salad?

Jilly
09-13-2007, 01:57 PM
People hump you for salad?

it's a damn good salad

Rausch
09-13-2007, 01:58 PM

Yep.

Dry as hell.

WTF is wrong with you?

Soak n' bake in a lasagna pan with 2 cans of beer, garlic salt, chopped onions & green peppers.

Bake. Flip about every 10-15 minutes so each side stays moist...

Rausch
09-13-2007, 02:00 PM
it's a damn good salad

Teach me.

I'm married and willing to try everything at this point... :cuss:

Fish
09-13-2007, 02:02 PM
it's a damn good salad

Please bring some to the next Planet gettogether/orgy.

:p

Baby Lee
09-13-2007, 02:14 PM
Please bring some to the next Planet gettogether/orgy.

:p
Hey! Fish! This is a beef thread!

Jilly
09-13-2007, 02:16 PM

whoa whoa whoa..... where's the "I'm just joking" smiley?

Fire Me Boy!
09-13-2007, 02:17 PM
"Resting" is for standing rib-roasts, lasagna, and chuck-roasts.
"Resting" is also for any kind of steak. Give the juices to settle and reabsorb. If you don't wait, the steak juice will run all over everywhere.

Baby Lee
09-13-2007, 02:22 PM
whoa whoa whoa..... where's the "I'm just joking" smiley?
I was referring to the aquarium dweller, not the foilage consumers.

Simply Red
09-13-2007, 02:26 PM
"Resting" is also for any kind of steak. Give the juices to settle and reabsorb. If you don't wait, the steak juice will run all over everywhere.
Respectfully disagree. Though I do let the fillets (i.e.) obtain room temp. before grilling. This will assure tenderness.

Fish
09-13-2007, 02:28 PM

LMAO

Triple entendre..?

Simply Red
09-13-2007, 02:32 PM
I don't think what you or Baby Lee are saying will hurt anything. I just don't know how necessary all the TLC is with such a small cut O meat.

Fire Me Boy!
09-13-2007, 02:34 PM
Respectfully disagree. Though I do let the fillets (i.e.) obtain room temp. before grilling. This will assure tenderness.
I have significantly better results (particularly when slicing as described) when I let it rest. A steak, however, does not take as long as a roast.

I respectfully take Alton Brown's advice over yours. :p

From Alton Brown ..Food network

PAN SEARED RIB EYE

1 boneless rib eye steak, 1 1/2 inch thick
Canola oil to coat
Kosher salt and ground black pepper

Place a 10 to 12-inch cast iron skillet in oven and heat oven to 500 degrees. Bring steak(s) to room temperature. When oven reaches temperature, remove pan and place on range over high heat.

Coat steak lightly with oil and season both sides with a generous pinch of salt. Grind on black pepper to taste. Immediately place steak in the middle of the hot, dry pan.

Cook 30 seconds without moving. Turn with tongs and cook another 30 seconds, then put the pan straight into the oven for 2 minutes. Flip steak and cook for another 2 minutes (This time is for medium rare steaks. If you prefer medium, add a minute to both of the oven turns)

Remove steak from pan and cover loosely with foil..Let rest for 2 minutes.

Serve.

Simply Red
09-13-2007, 02:42 PM
I have significantly better results (particularly when slicing as described) when I let it rest. A steak, however, does not take as long as a roast.

I respectfully take Alton Brown's advice over yours. :p
I went to culinary arts school and worked for the Buckhead Life group also cooked for 18 years solid. But I'd still believe him over myself. Again though. I'm not saying it'll hurt anything. I just feel it is an unecessary step when grilling/serving a steak. I like temp. hot on steaks personally and that'll cause drastic reduction of serving temp.

JMO... :)

Baby Lee
09-13-2007, 02:49 PM
I don't think what you or Baby Lee are saying will hurt anything. I just don't know how necessary all the TLC is with such a small cut O meat.
There is a chemical rationale. All the while you're cooking your steak, the protein strands are getting tighter and tighter, squeezing out moisture and approximating connective tissue [that's why, chemically, an overdone steak is dry and chewy]. Resting gives the protein a chance to revert back to a more relaxed, more tender, more moisture retaining form.
And you keep it hot with the foil, just not continuing to accelerate the temperature and 'wring' the protein strands.

ChiefaRoo
09-13-2007, 02:54 PM
Tiny. Here is how you make a kick ass grilled steak.

Buy USDA Prime. It's expensive but it rocks. ( I like Strips)

Pre-heat the grill to 450 degrees. <~~ High preheating is very important

Light salt and pepper only on the meat. Nothing else. A good cut of meat has its own flavor.

Four minutes. Then Rotate 30 to 45 degrees. Three more minutes.

Flip it over

Repeat.

Serve and enjoy a little bit of heaven on Earth.

Caution. Watch out for fire licking up from the dissovling fat. A tiny bit of fire is good but you don't want it to carbonize the meat.

Do not smoosh the meet while it's on the grill. You can squeeze the juice out. Trust the heat and let it do it's thing.

The key is the High pre-heat. Gas grills or charcoal are all great. Gas doesn't add flavor but charcoal is messy to prepare but adds some flavor.

I love to grill. I do it 3 to 4 times per week.

Hoover
09-13-2007, 03:06 PM
Bingo we have a winner.

Well thats what I do

Fire Me Boy!
09-13-2007, 03:07 PM

Light salt and pepper only on the meat. Nothing else. A good cut of meat has its own flavor.

Flip it over

Repeat.

Caution. Watch out for fire licking up from the dissovling fat. A tiny bit of fire is good but you don't want it to carbonize the meat.

Do not smoosh the meet while it's on the grill. You can squeeze the juice out. Trust the heat and let it do it's thing.

The key is the High pre-heat. Gas grills or charcoal are all great. Gas doesn't add flavor but charcoal is messy to prepare but adds some flavor.

14 minutes cook time on a steak is WAY too long unless it's 2-inches thick. JMO.

ChiefaRoo
09-13-2007, 03:15 PM
14 minutes cook time on a steak is WAY too long unless it's 2-inches thick. JMO.

1 3/4" to 2" is standard for me. I like to buy a strip about .85 to .90 lbs.

phobia's skidmark
09-13-2007, 03:28 PM

Hamburger? sure, even a roast if you must, but a higher end cut like that belongs on a grill, even if it's a gas grill.....

I expected more from you, so much more. I'm going to go take a shit now.
show my people the way to heaven master!

KCChiefsMan
09-13-2007, 03:34 PM
when ya ruin a steak, it's best to chop it up and turn it into something...like a burrito!

ChiefaRoo
09-13-2007, 03:37 PM
when ya ruin a steak, it's best to chop it up and turn it into something...like a burrito!

Or at least give it to your dog or your neighbors dog.

Baby Lee
09-13-2007, 04:15 PM
CC's remark about burgers reminds me, has there ever been a more complete scam than a Kobe Burger.
The raison d'etre of Okobe beef is the intricate marbling of fat and muscle. Grind it up and all you got is fatty ground beef.

crazycoffey
09-13-2007, 04:18 PM
show my people the way to heaven master!

I'm not your master, I don't wear underwear, no no skid marks for me....

phobia's skidmark
09-13-2007, 04:54 PM
So you shit on the inside of your pants, real smart.

crazycoffey
09-13-2007, 05:15 PM
So you shit on the inside of your pants, real smart.

haha... no, I use TP. It keeps your butt clean (and your pants/underwear)

Donger
09-13-2007, 05:24 PM

And how does one "tent" a steak?

manchambo
09-13-2007, 05:45 PM
I went to culinary arts school and worked for the Buckhead Life group also cooked for 18 years solid. But I'd still believe him over myself. Again though. I'm not saying it'll hurt anything. I just feel it is an unecessary step when grilling/serving a steak. I like temp. hot on steaks personally and that'll cause drastic reduction of serving temp.

JMO... :)

The good solution for that is, after alowwing it to rest, to serve it, as some great steak restaurants (e.g., Del Frisco's) do, on a scorching hot plate. Just stick a suitable plate in the oven for awhile before serving.

Baby Lee
09-13-2007, 06:07 PM
And how does one "tent" a steak?
Loosely cover/wrap in aluminum foil. Think 'dutch oven' only not so stinky.

DaneMcCloud
09-13-2007, 06:15 PM

Flip it over

Repeat.

Great advice!

The problem is the California beef. It's longhorn steer that sits in the 100 degree sun all day long. The beef is not at all like it is in KC and generally tastes like an old shoe unless you marinate the hell out of it.

Simply Red
09-13-2007, 07:24 PM
The good solution for that is, after alowwing it to rest, to serve it, as some great steak restaurants (e.g., Del Frisco's) do, on a scorching hot plate. Just stick a suitable plate in the oven for awhile before serving.
That's true and that did cross my mind.

Simply Red
09-13-2007, 07:40 PM
There is a chemical rationale. All the while you're cooking your steak, the protein strands are getting tighter and tighter, squeezing out moisture and approximating connective tissue [that's why, chemically, an overdone steak is dry and chewy]. Resting gives the protein a chance to revert back to a more relaxed, more tender, more moisture retaining form.
And you keep it hot with the foil, just not continuing to accelerate the temperature and 'wring' the protein strands.

The above is true and I agree with it when using a certain cut or roast or a lower-tiered steak. But personally I'd never do it unless I was grilling**** let's say a sirloin.

-however-

When using a better cut such as a fillet or ribeye. Your and F.M.B's "resting" suggestion would be no more beneficial than starting with a room temperature fillet/ribeye out of the gate. Clearly the more marbling(in ribeye) the less you have to concern yourself with muscle tissue fiber.

You may say: `You'd let your raw steak get room temp.?`

Foodborne illness is almost a non-issue anymore in beef mostly due to corn fed cattle dominating the farms.

Donger
09-13-2007, 09:21 PM
Loosely cover/wrap in aluminum foil. Think 'dutch oven' only not so stinky.

Oh. I never cover my steaks after I bring them off the grill. My steaks always 'bleed out' after I take them off the grill (my wife's words). Does this help prevent that?

Fire Me Boy!
09-14-2007, 09:04 PM

I tried it... and I gotta admit, it does make a damn fine ribeye.

ChiefaRoo
09-14-2007, 11:40 PM
Great advice!

The problem is the California beef. It's longhorn steer that sits in the 100 degree sun all day long. The beef is not at all like it is in KC and generally tastes like an old shoe unless you marinate the hell out of it.

Dane, are you telling me that in a city where you can eat sushi off of a naked girl that you can't find a place that sells USDA prime? Certainly there has to be a few specialty meat places in a city the size you live in.

the Talking Can
09-14-2007, 11:48 PM
Oh. I never cover my steaks after I bring them off the grill. My steaks always 'bleed out' after I take them off the grill (my wife's words). Does this help prevent that?

they'll "bleed" a little, but if they bleed a lot you over cooked them and squeezed the juices out....if you a lot of juiced pooling on top of the meat while cooking you've probably over cooked it as well..

if you cut a steak right after you pull it off a grill it will leak its juices, but if you let it rest 3-5 minutes the proteins will reabsorb the the juices....it all depends, nothing wrong with diving into a t-bone right off the grill...

chief52
09-15-2007, 02:23 AM
Great advice!

I have no idea where you get your "California Beef", but I get mine right here in northern California and it is know as some of the best in the world. TOTALLY AWESOME! " Longhorn Steer in 100 degree sun all day"??? No idea what you are talking about.

My buddies are beef ranchers up here. Your statements are totally wrong.

cdcox
09-18-2007, 08:16 PM
I made a great steak salad tonight:

Romain lettuce
baby green mix
red onion
homemade vinaigrette

ribeye cooked to perfection on the iron skillet

Gorgonzola cheese

ENDelt260
09-18-2007, 08:17 PM
Did TinyEvel ever explain why it was too late to grill outside?

luv
09-18-2007, 08:22 PM
He didn't want the aroma to wake up his neighbors? :shrug:

luv
09-18-2007, 08:22 PM
Scared of the dark?

DaneMcCloud
09-18-2007, 08:26 PM
I have no idea where you get your "California Beef", but I get mine right here in northern California and it is know as some of the best in the world. TOTALLY AWESOME! " Longhorn Steer in 100 degree sun all day"??? No idea what you are talking about.

My buddies are beef ranchers up here. Your statements are totally wrong.

There is HUGE difference (HUGE) different between the quality of beef sold in Kansas City and the California beef. Most of the specialty stores bring in beef from Colorado and while it's okay, it's usually more than twice (if not three times) the price of regular California beef.

It's not anywhere near the same. Not even close.

Simply Red
09-18-2007, 08:26 PM
Kinda what I wondered. My best guess is/was vision problems.

Simply Red
09-18-2007, 08:28 PM

Romain lettuce
baby green mix
red onion
homemade vinaigrette

Gorgonzola cheese
Good job CD. Sounds fantastic. Being a cook, you'd think I own a cast iron s. But I don't. Will soon though.

Groves
09-18-2007, 08:29 PM

Romain lettuce
baby green mix
red onion
homemade vinaigrette

Gorgonzola cheese

Toss in some walnuts and you've just nailed it. Great Salad.

cdcox
09-18-2007, 08:37 PM
Good job CD. Sounds fantastic. Being a cook, you'd think I own a cast iron s. But I don't. Will soon though.

Makes great skillet cornbread, too.

cdcox
09-18-2007, 08:38 PM
Toss in some walnuts and you've just nailed it. Great Salad.

I'll have to try that next time.

Simply Red
09-18-2007, 08:44 PM

Romain lettuce
baby green mix
red onion
homemade vinaigrette

Gorgonzola cheese
Fontina may be a nice flip on the cheese. You know, for next time; to sort of mix it up a bit.

cdcox
09-18-2007, 08:52 PM
Fontina may be a nice flip on the cheese. You know, for next time; to sort of mix it up a bit.

I might try that, since my wife doesn't like Gorgonzola (I left it off hers).

Coogs
10-31-2007, 05:56 PM

I tried this tonight. It was a huge hit with my family! Thank you for sharing your secret.

Rain Man
10-31-2007, 05:58 PM
You gonna stick that ribeye into some trick or treater's bag tonight?

KCChiefsMan
10-31-2007, 06:07 PM
I was tailgating with some Chiefs fans a few years ago at Arrowhead and was with a group of about 15 people and he threw the steaks on the grill and I was the ONLY one to want med-rare or medium, everybody char'd the $hit out of their steaks and then went on to tell me how nasty it is for me to eat pink meat...lol

Valiant
10-31-2007, 06:11 PM
I was tailgating with some Chiefs fans a few years ago at Arrowhead and was with a group of about 15 people and he threw the steaks on the grill and I was the ONLY one to want med-rare or medium, everybody char'd the $hit out of their steaks and then went on to tell me how nasty it is for me to eat pink meat...lol

Did they tip you bad??? ROFL :p

Silock
10-31-2007, 06:19 PM
pan frying is good. I think pan frying is especially useful when you fry before you grill. it seals in the juices. I would never throw away a rib-eye unless it was an absolute cinder with nothing to be salvaged.

Actually, searing doesn't seal in juices at all. Any time you cook meat, even if it's a sear, it's going to lose juices. That doesn't mean searing is bad, though. It still gives a fantastic flavor when done properly.

Baby Lee
10-31-2007, 06:33 PM
Actually, searing doesn't seal in juices at all. Any time you cook meat, even if it's a sear, it's going to lose juices. That doesn't mean searing is bad, though. It still gives a fantastic flavor when done properly.
If you sear [including the sides, nobody appears to have mentioned using tongs to put your cut on it's side to sear the sides, a must with a good thick cut], and rest afterwards to allow reabsorbtion by the relaxing proteins, you can preserve a lot more juices that other cookin methods.

Silock
10-31-2007, 06:36 PM
If you sear [including the sides, nobody appears to have mentioned using tongs to put your cut on it's side to sear the sides, a must with a good thick cut], and rest afterwards to allow reabsorbtion by the relaxing proteins, you can preserve a lot more juices that other cookin methods.

But it's not the sear that "locks" in the juices. Resting any steak after cooking will result in further cooking and redistribution of internal juices.

Baby Lee
10-31-2007, 06:42 PM
But it's not the sear that "locks" in the juices. Resting any steak after cooking will result in further cooking and redistribution of internal juices.
Yeah, it's not so much the sear 'locking' the juices in, as getting the steak to the desired external texture quickly before as much liquid would steam or drip out with slower cooking.

Fire Me Boy!
10-31-2007, 07:18 PM
Alton Brown did a show where he debunked that myth... says that searing vs. slower cooking doesn't preserve any more moisture, but it DOES add a bunch of flavor and texture.