PDA

View Full Version : Bill Maas gets off scott free!

Count Alex's Wins
09-13-2007, 12:00 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/273095.html

Technicality keeps state from charging Maas

Former Kansas City Chiefs nose tackle Bill Maas will not face state charges after he was detained at Kansas City International Airport on Sept. 5 when security screeners discovered a loaded 9mm Glock handgun in his carry-on bag as he prepared to board a flight.Maas said he grabbed the wrong bag when he was departing for the airport, officials said. The handgun was confiscated, and Maas was released pending additional investigation.

Maas could not be reached for comment on Wednesday.

“Missouri law currently makes it impossible to prosecute someone who tries to carry a gun on a plane unless that person was going to commit a crime,” Platte County Prosecutor Eric Zahnd said.

The facts in Maas’ case are similar to those in dozens of other cases, which Zahnd said his office has been forced to reject over the past several years. Carrying a weapon aboard a plane is prohibited by federal regulations, but is legal under state law because of the Missouri loophole, Zahnd said.

However, Maas could still face a civil penalty from the Transportation Security Administration.

Carrie Harmon, a TSA spokeswoman, said she could not comment on any particular case, but said passengers are notified whether they are assessed a civil penalty within 60 days of the violation. The penalty range for carrying a loaded firearm is between $3,000 and $7,500, Harmon said.

Maas, who lives in Lee’s Summit, could also face municipal charges under a Kansas City ordinance. City prosecutor Beth A. Murano said nothing has been submitted to her office.

Phobia
09-13-2007, 12:02 AM
No he hasn't. With what he's been up to this past year he'll be spending his entire life rebuilding the credibility. He'll probably never work in media again and his Chiefs notoriety is pretty much shot. He's not getting off scott free.

Demonpenz
09-13-2007, 12:04 AM
htf do you know if someone was going to commit a crime or not.

boogblaster
09-13-2007, 12:05 AM
Damit Bill ...you been a Fn up lately ....

Deberg_1990
09-13-2007, 12:05 AM

Exactly. For all we know Maas just grabbed the wrong bag before heading out the door. :)

Demonpenz
09-13-2007, 12:07 AM
i always wondering how much drugs and whiskey can you actually drink until it ****s up your body. I am sure mass can afford to do more than mine so i should be good to drink this weekend

Fishpicker
09-13-2007, 12:07 AM
Exactly. For all we know Maas just grabbed the wrong bag before heading out the door. :)

just like Barry Switzer

Frazod
09-13-2007, 12:10 AM
Maas is clearly an idiot, but it is reasonable to assume that he did not intend to hijack the plane.

FAX
09-13-2007, 12:11 AM
I'll bet Mr. scott free is relieved.

FAX

Deberg_1990
09-13-2007, 12:11 AM
but it is reasonable to assume that he did not intend to hijack the plane.

Of course silly. Simple racial profiling tells me hes not Arab. :)

Frazod
09-13-2007, 12:12 AM
Of course silly. Simple racial profiling tells me hes not Arab. :)

RACIST!!

:D

Demonpenz
09-13-2007, 12:13 AM
Didn't a coked out ex football player steal a vehicle and crash it into a gas tanker awhile back. I wouldn't assume shit about anyone getting on a plane.

Woodrow Call
09-13-2007, 12:20 AM

FAX
ROFL

Cochise
09-13-2007, 12:24 AM

They'd need some other facts to establish intent.

Ari Chi3fs
09-13-2007, 12:46 AM

FAX

wow. I was going to type that, nearly word for word. Except that last word, FAX. I wouldnt have typed that.

blueballs
07-05-2008, 10:45 PM
4 pages
http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/693351.html

blueballs
07-05-2008, 10:47 PM
Former Chief Bill Maas opens up about troubled times
By SAM MELLINGER
The Kansas City Star

Bill Maas opens the door of his five-bedroom home and extends a giant hand to shake. He invites you in, offers water or iced tea but says he isn’t sure he wants to talk.

His name is toxic after a nightmare 2007 that included losing his job as a football analyst for Fox Sports, an arrest on gun and drug charges, and a detainment at the airport when security found a gun in his carry-on bag.

So the former Chiefs All-Pro isn’t sure he wants to go through all of this again. He thinks you will read the first two words of this story — Bill Maas — and make up your mind. He says he doesn’t care, that he’s done with it.

That’s a lie. The truth is, he cares a lot.

“This thing is so above my head in so many different ways,” he says. “People are going to think what they want. It all matches up.”

One year ago today, Maas’ personal problems went public when his Hummer was stopped at a roadside safety check in Illinois. Police say they found a loaded .22, 6 grams of cocaine, 5 grams of marijuana and 28 ecstasy pills.

Maas says the drugs weren’t his, and that the pills were actually prescription weight-loss medication. According to the Illinois State Police, the drug charges were dropped and Maas pleaded guilty to a gun charge, paid a fine, and agreed to a year’s worth of court supervision.

Two months later, security at Kansas City International Airport found a 9 mm Glock in his carry-on bag. A loophole in the law saved him from being charged. He paid a fine, the check wrapping up a year in which he fell from TV star to a sad cautionary tale.

Things are better now, more normal, so he sat down with The Kansas City Star for two hour-plus interviews. They are his first public comments since these troubles began and cover his past use of recreational and prescription drugs, a lost broadcasting career, and where he goes from here.

Maas is fighting at least two serious health conditions: depression and loss of short-term memory. There are days he grunts curse words first thing in the morning, 10 NFL seasons’ worth of pain in his knees and the rest of his body screaming him awake.

Those are the days he wishes he had a fistful of hydrocodone, like old times, but Maas says he’s done self-medicating now.

He has a lot to say. In the beginning, he wanted to do this so he could resurrect his broadcasting career. That’s no longer part of this.

“To be honest,” he says, “I don’t think it’s resurrectable.”

But he wants people to know his side of this, so his kids don’t have to answer questions, so maybe their school counselors will stop calling, asking “Mr. Maas, are you OK?”

Yeah, he probably can’t salvage his broadcasting career. He’s 46 years old and hoping it’s not too late for the rest of his life.

His best friend is worried.

•••

The white work van pulls up to the small barbecue joint. The driver’s door opens and out comes a huge man, 6 feet 5 and maybe 300 pounds, wearing shorts, a T-shirt and work boots. Bill Maas picked this place.

He orders the turkey sandwich and a couple of hot pickles. He apologizes for missing a meeting the day before, but he ran out of time. He’s got a lot going on.

“Everything I’ve ever done in my life,” he says, “I’ve always been doing something else at the same time, too.”

On this day, that means manual labor at properties he owns. He was up before dawn to reinforce beams in a barn on a farm he owns, and after lunch he’s putting in a floor at another property.

Yesterday, he was mowing grass and pulling weeds. He has never been afraid of work.

Maas isn’t sure exactly how many properties he owns — “Have to check with my bookkeeper on that,” he says — only that it’s more than 10. Some are rentals, some flip-and-sell, some commercial, and a few developmental.

These days he’s more project manager than celebrity. His income comes from working with his hands, but now he’s building fences instead of sacking quarterbacks. That old life is never far from his mind.

Football will always be his first love. He’d like it to be his career again, too. If broadcasting is no longer an option, maybe he’d make a good coach or scout, especially for the defensive line — his position.

“With all due respect to the Chiefs,” he says, “they’ve wasted eight top draft choices on defensive tackles and still haven’t filled the position. You know? Eight. I’m a block away. You want to throw me a film?”

The frontal lobe of his brain is damaged. Doctors say it’s a direct result of his NFL career and has caused him depression, minor speech problems and extreme loss of short-term memory.

It’s one of the conditions that drove him online, buying hydrocodone and other painkillers from pharmacies he knew probably weren’t legitimate. He says his drug use began when his broadcasting career went downhill; a source says it was the other way around.

Probably doesn’t matter either way. One study found two of three NFL players with emotional problems within six months of leaving football. Twenty percent of those who sought help were treated for depression. In some ways, Maas’ story is a sad cliché of former NFL players.

“These guys are put on pedestals for so long,” says Andrew Jacobs, a sports psychologist. “People don’t say no to them, and they don’t say no back sometimes. And they’ve got to learn these things or sometimes they don’t survive.”

Maas says his prescription drug abuse is over, but the conditions he self-medicated remain, providing a real and daily reminder of what he’s up against. He loses his phone, misses appointments, drives across town for something and then can’t remember why he’s there.

“It’s not just something that happens every six months,” says Dick Matthews, a business partner who raves about Maas’ commitment and work ethic. “It could happen two or three times a week. Last week, we were supposed to meet and he forgot. I hung around, finally called, and he was like, “Oh, I’m on my way, I’m on my way.’ ”

•••

Bill Maas loves telling old football stories. His body perks up. His eyes sparkle. His hands move.

He’s happiest when he’s talking football, especially if he can make you laugh, so he keeps the stories coming. One was about his rookie year, when all the Chiefs’ lockers had ash trays and guys would chain smoke during halftime.

“You’d come in and they’re just puffing, puffing, sucking,” he says, mimicking the inhalation. “It was ‘North Dallas Forty,’ I’m telling you.”

Sometimes his stories reveal a little about himself, too. Like the time in college when the coach called his name every day for the bull-in-the-ring drill, where guys went one-on-one to see who could get pushed out of the circle.

blueballs
07-05-2008, 10:52 PM
Maas always got trounced in that drill, right up until the day Mark May drove him 20 yards back and into the ground. That’s when it flipped.

“I just (freaking) lost it,” he says. “Something went off, boom. And this was Mark May, Outland Trophy winner. I took the son of a bitch through, ripped his helmet off and I teed off, wouldn’t stop. Boom, boom. I never lost one of those (expletives) again.”

That productive rage, the willing loss of control, helped Maas to an All-Pro career. Maas and fame always formed a dangerous match. He handled his celebrity with mixed success, his playing days including the occasional bar fight — some where he was provoked, some he could’ve avoided.

A woman who worked at a bar Maas owned in St. Louis sued him for sexual harassment, though the suit was dropped and Maas says he has a tape that proves he was somewhere else that night.

For the incident at the airport, he says he was on his way to the Arctic to hunt caribou. His hunting rifle was unloaded and locked legally in his checked luggage. He grabbed the wrong bag for his carry-on, either because he was in a hurry or maybe because of “the head thing” — or both.

“That was a period I didn’t see him much,” says Paul Coffman, an ex-teammate and longtime friend. “I would talk to him occasionally but didn’t spend any time with him. Maybe he was burning the candle at both ends and it caught up to him. But he seems happy now.”

Maas tried recreational drugs, including cocaine. He admits this but is adamant that the drugs police found in his truck that night in Illinois were not his. The last time he used cocaine was “well more than a year ago,” he says.

This is a point he wants to make clear, especially with his kids living in the area. He has thought about this a lot. He has made mistakes, taken drugs, been too drunk, without being caught. Maybe he had this coming.

“Damn, for all those times in your life this could’ve happened to you,” he says. “I’m not saying 28 ecstasy pills and coke. But drunk, (messed) up, had coke, all those things. OK, is this payback for times you did that in your life?”

•••

There is a piano on the main level of Maas’ home and the heads of deer he has hunted in the basement. Out the back window is a lake he and Chiefs teammates used to swim in to stay in shape during the offseason.

Maas is wearing a black, button-down shirt and jeans. It’s almost dinner time, his daughter’s due home soon, so he brings out some salsa and guacamole and explains why he has always tried to stay away from Las Vegas.

“I’m a little bit of a chameleon,” he says. “You put me in a bad atmosphere, I’ll be bad. My gosh. Hookers, beer and gambling. You kidding me?”

Friends say Maas has a good heart. He routinely bought Chiefs tickets for soldiers returning from Operation Desert Storm and gave his time to various charities, including March of Dimes, the Dream Factory and United Way.

He had a hard time saying no, which is why he tries to sign and return football cards he gets in the mail and write back as many fan letters as he can. It’s part of why he was involved in so many charities, too. Helping out made him feel good, sure, but if you want to know the truth, there were times he wished he could’ve said no.

“If I was a woman,” he says, “I’d be a freaking whore.”

He loves the experiences that fame gave him, like the hunting trips he took with Bo Jackson, the beers he shared with Wade Boggs. But Maas struggled to take fame’s gifts and reject its dangers.

If anything good came of the last year or so, if any benefit has resulted from a soiled reputation and disappearing friends, it’s that fewer people are tugging from the sides.

He’s living his life for himself now, maybe for the first time. And even though it’s not entirely by choice, that’s probably more important now than it has ever been in his life.

“Without a doubt, and that part feels good,” he says. “You’re not inundated with being a quote-unquote celebrity of whatever status or a football analyst or whatever. You’re just you.”

•••

Matthews says Maas is calmer now than a year ago. Coffman says his friend is happier.

“He’s not going to listen to people,” Coffman says. “You’ve gotta love him and pray for him and hope things turn out the best for him. Sometimes life’s slaps in the face wake people up.”

Neither man knows Maas as well as Dino Hackett, the former Chiefs linebacker. Maas and Hackett roomed together on the advice of their defensive coordinator, who said he saw the same raw fire and passion in both players.

When reached by The Star last year, Hackett wouldn’t talk out of respect for Maas. Even now, with Maas giving the green light, Hackett chooses his words carefully.

“You’ve got to keep in the realm of possibility that you don’t know the whole thing,” Hackett says. “I don’t know what I would do in his situation. You don’t know which way you would turn. I pray I don’t have to be in that situation. I think we all do, every day.”

Hackett knows his friend is on a better path, but he also knows how quickly that can change. Maas has always lived on the edge, lived large, according to his friends, and Hackett was by Maas’ side for a lot of it.

The difference is Hackett was always able to stay out of major trouble, the kind of trouble Maas found himself in last year.

Hackett would rather not have this conversation. He’d rather his friend’s problems stay private but knows that’s no longer possible. Before he gets off the phone, Hackett says he’s worried about Maas.

“I think he’s probably worried, too,” Hackett says. “I think he’s worried about a lot of things.”

SPATCH
07-06-2008, 03:06 AM
as long as billy mays is ok...

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w168/temptationdesigns/blog%20images/billy_oxyclean.jpg

Fruit Ninja
07-06-2008, 03:13 AM
No he hasn't. With what he's been up to this past year he'll be spending his entire life rebuilding the credibility. He'll probably never work in media again and his Chiefs notoriety is pretty much shot. He's not getting off scott free.

Considering what i have seen my friends get ****ed over for, thats scott free.

Smed1065
07-06-2008, 03:32 AM

Compared to a regular citizen?

Me or you would be screwed! He is getting off much less than the average football fan. IMO.

Mr. Flopnuts
07-06-2008, 03:35 AM

FAX

LMAO So awesome.

Consistent1
07-06-2008, 08:06 AM
How do these guys always manage to get out of everything? To me, that is a good question. Guess the rest of us just need money for lawyers too.

tomahawk kid
07-06-2008, 08:23 AM
Man - that article brings to light alot of what Bill's going through.

I wish him the best, but it sounds like the odds may be stacked against him.

Depression and memory loss seem to be the "gimmes" anymore when it comes to alot of these ex-NFL players and their lives de-railing.

OnTheWarpath58
07-06-2008, 10:00 AM

They have PreCog's locked in the basement below the baggage claim.

Didn't you see Minority Report?

Deberg_1990
07-06-2008, 10:17 AM
Police say they found a loaded .22, 6 grams of cocaine, 5 grams of marijuana and 28 ecstasy pills.

Maas says the drugs weren’t his,

Yea, i always carry around my buddies cocaine in my car, just for the heck of it.

Adept Havelock
07-06-2008, 10:39 AM

My thought exactly.

They can only prosecute if the person volunteers the information? :spock: