PDA

View Full Version : St Loius Cop Suspended for threatening to make up charges...caught on tape

percysnow
09-13-2007, 11:06 AM
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,296553,00.html

video = <object width="464" height="392"><param name="movie" value="http://embed.break.com/MzY0MjYw"></param><embed src="http://embed.break.com/MzY0MjYw" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="464" height="392"></embed></object><br><font size=1><a href="http://www.break.com/index/cop-lies-and-threatens-kid-for-nothing.html">Cop Lies And Threatens Kid For Nothing</a> - Watch more <a href="http://www.break.com/">free videos</a></font>
Quote:

ST. GEORGE, Mo. — A suburban St. Louis police sergeant has been put on unpaid suspension, accused of threatening to invent charges against a driver who caught the exchange on videotape.

The driver, Brett Darrow, 20, recorded Friday's exchange with Sgt. James Kuehnlein with a dashboard videocamera he installed after past run-ins with police. He posted the video online Saturday.

"I wanted everybody to see that this kind of stuff does happen," Darrow told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch in Tuesday's edition. "I thought if I just go to the chief or whatever, it would just get swept under the rug."

In the video, Kuehnlein approaches Darrow, who was sitting in a parked car at about 2 a.m. in a commuter lot. Kuehnlein asks for identification.

When Darrow asks whether he did anything wrong, the officer orders him out of the car and begins shouting.

"You want to try me? You want to try me tonight? You think you have a bad night? I will ruin your night. Do you want to try me tonight, young boy?"

Darrow says no.

"Do you want to go to jail for some (expletive) reason I come up with?" the police officer says. Later, Darrow says, "I don't want any problems, officer."

After about 10 minutes, Darrow is allowed to go.

The recording, posted on YouTube.com, brought more than 300 protest calls to St. George Police Chief Scott Uhrig.

"I was very displeased when I saw the actions on the video," Uhrig said. "My officers are not trained and taught to act like that."

A listed number could not be found for Kuehnlein for comment.

Uhrig said Kuehnlein stopped to talk to Darrow because police have received reports of thefts from cars in the area. But Uhrig said the officer's actions and tone were inappropriate.

"Someone either violated the law or they didn't. You don't say, I'll lock you up and then come up with why afterward," Uhrig said.

Count Zarth
09-13-2007, 11:06 AM
Here's the video:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2715792117793977759

HonestChieffan
09-13-2007, 11:10 AM
More reason to hate St L

StcChief
09-13-2007, 11:28 AM
St. George is a corrupt sh1t hole. One place to not get stopped. near Shrewsberry and I-44.

CoMoChief
09-13-2007, 11:31 AM
Cops do this kinda shit all the time. A cop in Columbia came to my duplex and just knocked on the door when me and a group of friends were just sittin around watching a movie. The group of friends were from next door. I answer the door and the cop immediately asks for my ID. I asked him if there was a problem and he got pissy and asked if I wanted to go to jail. I asked for what and he said for failing to comply with an officer. I told him I didn't have it with me and that I would have to go upstairs to go get it. That pisses him off and then he comes in and radios in backup and asks for everyone's ID. I ask him on the way up to my room if there was a problem and he says there was a noise complaint for a barking dog. I told that's funny because we don't have a dog and I mentioned to him that he may have the wrong duplex. He then put me in cuffs because he didn't like my attitude and sat me back in the car while everyone else was ID'd. After about a half hour he said that I could go back inside because it took them that long to figure out that there wasn't a barking dog anywhere. I said thanks officer for wasting my time and that he'll be hearing about this in the morning. Next day I went to Columbia PD and filed a complaint. The night shift manager there called me 3 days later to inform me the officer was suspended, probably with pay. All of us were drinking, but we were all 22 or over. At the time I wasn't drunk yet. Only had a few at the time. There wasn't any weed or anything like that. Im not sure what the hell this officers problem was.

But officers do this shit all the time.

Ari Chi3fs
09-13-2007, 11:38 AM
Cops do this kinda shit all the time. A cop in Columbia came to my duplex and just knocked on the door when me and a group of friends were just sittin around watching a movie. The group of friends were from next door. I answer the door and the cop immediately asks for my ID. I asked him if there was a problem and he got pissy and asked if I wanted to go to jail. I asked for what and he said for failing to comply with an officer. I told him I didn't have it with me and that I would have to go upstairs to go get it. That pisses him off and then he comes in and radios in backup and asks for everyone's ID. I ask him on the way up to my room if there was a problem and he says there was a noise complaint for a barking dog. I told that's funny because we don't have a dog and I mentioned to him that he may have the wrong duplex. He then put me in cuffs because he didn't like my attitude and sat me back in the car while everyone else was ID'd. After about a half hour he said that I could go back inside because it took them that long to figure out that there wasn't a barking dog anywhere. I said thanks officer for wasting my time and that he'll be hearing about this in the morning. Next day I went to Columbia PD and filed a complaint. The night shift manager there called me 3 days later to inform me the officer was suspended, probably with pay. All of us were drinking, but we were all 22 or over. At the time I wasn't drunk yet. Only had a few at the time. There wasn't any weed or anything like that. Im not sure what the hell this officers problem was.

But officers do this shit all the time.

i don't like your attitude, MURon.

MOhillbilly
09-13-2007, 11:42 AM
that cop sooo wants to stick it in that kids butt.

but if that cop got shot theyd say ' he was a great hero'

CoMoChief
09-13-2007, 11:42 AM
i don't like your attitude, MURon.
I'm actually a jayhawk basketball fan. i thought u knew that.

Ari Chi3fs
09-13-2007, 11:44 AM
I'm actually a jayhawk basketball fan. i thought u knew that.

Oh a wiseguy, huh? You're going downtown, mister.

Tribal Warfare
09-13-2007, 11:45 AM
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/XsCiP4fvfPA"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/XsCiP4fvfPA" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

FAX
09-13-2007, 11:53 AM
It's videos like this that give cops a bad name.

FAX

Otter
09-13-2007, 11:53 AM
Video cameras are a dirty cops worst nightmare. Getting one with audio installed inside you're home and vehicle is actually not a bad idea considering the price.

stumppy
09-13-2007, 12:02 PM
Just another cop on a power trip.
What a fuggin jerk. I guarentee you he wouldn't have the balls to talk to anybody that way if you took away his badge and gun.

stumppy
09-13-2007, 12:06 PM
Qoute/ Tribal's video.

WOW, imagine that. The Chief trying to justify his officers actions.

JohninGpt

FAX
It's cops like this, and hopefully it's a small percentage, that give cops a bad name.

'Hamas' Jenkins
Just another punk motherf*cker with a badge and a gun.

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-13-2007, 12:07 PM
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/WiX7GTelTPM"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WiX7GTelTPM" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

jidar
It's cops like this that give cops a bad name.

FAX

FYP

El Jefe
Just another cop on a power trip.
What a fuggin jerk. I guarentee you he wouldn't have the balls to talk to anybody that way if you took away his badge and gun.

He wouldn't live to talk about it, if he had a conversation like that without his shield on.

Sure-Oz
09-13-2007, 12:09 PM
He reminds me of the cop from Harold and Kumar go to whitecastle LOL

BIG_DADDY
09-13-2007, 12:16 PM
Happens all the time. They are just pissed they got caught. Suspended without pay. Woooooooooooooooooo. :rolleyes: What are they going to do next, take his twinkee's away?

gblowfish
09-13-2007, 12:17 PM
"DO YOU WANT TO TRY ME, YOUNG BOY?"

Maybe that cop moonlights as a Priest.

Thanks, I'm here all week.

Chiefnj2
09-13-2007, 12:34 PM
The kid did a great job setting up an unbalanced individual that shouldn't be carrying a weapon.

Tribal Warfare
09-13-2007, 02:24 PM
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/VGfYX7NmYnU"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/VGfYX7NmYnU" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

mikey23545
09-13-2007, 03:06 PM
That idiot should never wear a police badge again. He sounds borderline psychotic.

StcChief
09-13-2007, 03:48 PM
Video cameras are a dirty cops worst nightmare. Getting one with audio installed inside you're home and vehicle is actually not a bad idea considering the price.
It's coming to that. Your video tape vs. theirs. better if it's hidden

Jenson71
09-13-2007, 04:01 PM
That idiot should never wear a police badge again. He sounds borderline psychotic.

Agreed. At least he got a little nicer at the end.

Sure-Oz
09-13-2007, 04:02 PM
"DO YOU WANT TO TRY ME, YOUNG BOY?"

Maybe that cop moonlights as a Priest.

Thanks, I'm here all week.
ROFL

Adept Havelock
09-13-2007, 04:15 PM
What a schmuck.

Maybe there will be enough outcry the idiot loses his badge.

Idiots like that give the rest of the Thin Blue Line a bad name they don't deserve.

crazycoffey
09-13-2007, 04:26 PM
A cop got killed in Miami earlier, why aren't you posting that story?

sorry that there are some asses that wear a badge, and there is no defending this guy in St. Louis, but for you posters saying how the police departments are full of idiots when you act like an idiot to them need to get a grip.

I'm sick of all this crap, "another dipshit cop" threads, they risk thier lives to try and keep peace, but you'd rather be able to drive drunk or stoned. You would rather have your sense of entilement, how dare a cop ask you for your ID Who does he think he is....

I know not all of you feel the same as hamas, or Jidar or CoMochief, but Fing A guys. Use some perspective.

Adept Havelock
09-13-2007, 06:18 PM

sorry that there are some asses that wear a badge, and there is no defending this guy in St. Louis, but for you posters saying how the police departments are full of idiots when you act like an idiot to them need to get a grip.

I'm sick of all this crap, "another dipshit cop" threads, they risk thier lives to try and keep peace, but you'd rather be able to drive drunk or stoned. You would rather have your sense of entilement, how dare a cop ask you for your ID Who does he think he is....

I know not all of you feel the same as hamas, or Jidar or CoMochief, but Fing A guys. Use some perspective.

Hey, I've got nothing but respect for the Thin Blue Line. That's why fuggheads like him piss me off.

Halfcan
09-13-2007, 06:18 PM
cops are dicks

Halfcan
09-13-2007, 06:21 PM
my girls car got stolen out of my driveway last week and it took the cops 45 minutes to get there-I live 3 blocks from the station and it was 6:30 in the morning. Lazy bastards. They did catch the guy by accident though. Lucky lazy bastards.

pikesome
09-13-2007, 06:22 PM

Like a lot of the bad press in sports this off season, it only takes a few bad apples to give the rest a bad name. Or like they say in business, a happy customer might tell his friends but an unhappy customer tells everyone they meet.

Adept Havelock
09-13-2007, 07:15 PM
my girls car got stolen out of my driveway last week and it took the cops 45 minutes to get there-I live 3 blocks from the station and it was 6:30 in the morning. Lazy bastards. They did catch the guy by accident though. Lucky lazy bastards.

A stolen vehicle is lower in the priority queue than many other crimes.

Deal with it.

Fairplay
09-13-2007, 07:36 PM
There are good people and jerks in every job profession.

This guy is the latter.

KCChiefsMan
09-13-2007, 08:03 PM

FAX

well, it's not made up. It's cops that give cops a bad name, there are a LOT of a-hole cops that are aroused by their sudden authority. There are good ones too though.

ENDelt260
09-13-2007, 08:04 PM
There are good people and jerks in every job profession.

True. Of course, a jerk janitor can't have nearly the negative impact on your life that a cop can.

ENDelt260
09-13-2007, 08:05 PM
Oh, for f*cks sake... have some of you people never read a FAX post before?

Fish
09-13-2007, 08:06 PM
True. Of course, a jerk janitor can't have nearly the negative impact on your life that a cop can.

Good point... Most the assholes I deal with on a daily basis aren't carrying a taser...

Third Eye
09-13-2007, 08:11 PM
You would rather have your sense of entilement, how dare a cop ask you for your ID Who does he think he is....

That is exactly right, although I know that isn't your context. Who does the cop think he is? If a citizen of this country is doing nothing wrong then why harass him?

Halfcan
09-13-2007, 08:12 PM
A stolen vehicle is lower in the priority queue than many other crimes.

Deal with it.

Yep, the guy didn't even write down what happened. The car got put in an impound lot-and we got it back. It had stolen car parts, Cripps gang stuff, a stolen mini bike (in parts) drugs ect inside when we got it and the cops did not even care.

Some cops are cool-(CC) and really care about there job-but most are either racist, assholes, or just getting a paycheck.

Iron Chef
09-14-2007, 07:35 AM
My wife was involved in a it and run and got the offenders license plate number. It only took the police about 4 days to go by his house to see if he was involved in an accident. The guy was most likely drunk as he was swerving a bit, and could have killed someone.

KcMizzou
09-14-2007, 07:47 AM
Yep, the guy didn't even write down what happened. The car got put in an impound lot-and we got it back. It had stolen car parts, Cripps gang stuff, a stolen mini bike (in parts) drugs ect inside when we got it and the cops did not even care. Uh, they gave you the drugs too?

crazycoffey
09-14-2007, 08:50 AM

or a jerk politician, or a jerk doctor, or a jerk judge , or a jerk who prepares your food (resturant/food packaging).

Your right, only cop jerks can affect your life. :rolleyes:
146 cops lost thier lives in 2006 doing their jobs, how many doctors/politicians died doing theirs?

I've said it before, I know there are Jerk cops, and video them, get it out in the open, I don't want them working the job either. BUT there are FAR FAR FAR MORE good cops than there are bad. I'm only saying they deserve our respect, even if they are wrong, because the one that died yesterday, the suspect was probably being an ass to him too. If I'm a cop and getting disrespected, I'm thinking something is up with that person, and wondering what that is.

FAX
09-14-2007, 09:00 AM
I think your position on this is admirable, Mr. CrazyCoffey. But, I have to disagree with the assertion that one has to respect a cop even though he's in the wrong. That's what the Germans did and look what happened to them. Do you want to have to rebuild our sausage factorys from scratch? Police officers are people too ... many are flawed ... many are less flawed.

Some people still believe that, as citizens, we have inalienable rights, we're innocent until proven guilty, we're guaranteed due process, equal protection under law, and that rock and roll is here to stay.

When any person of authority ignores those rights, a little piece of the Jefferson Memorial falls off and an angel takes it up the ass.

FAX

crazycoffey
09-14-2007, 09:10 AM
I think your position on this is admirable, Mr. CrazyCoffey. But, I have to disagree with the assertion that one has to respect a cop even though he's in the wrong. That's what the Germans did and look what happened to them. Do you want to have to rebuild our sausage factorys from scratch? Police officers are people too ... many are flawed ... many are less flawed.

Some people still believe that, as citizens, we have inalienable rights, we're innocent until proven guilty, we're guaranteed due process, equal protection under law, and that rock and roll is here to stay.

When any person of authority ignores those rights, a little piece of the Jefferson Memorial falls off and an angel takes it up the ass.

FAX

your analogies always crack me up.

Let's look at the story where the cop went to the wrong apartment for a noise complaint. Maybe the caller got the apartment wrong, maybe the dispatch operator got the number wrong. Maybe the way the numbers were on the hallway was confusing, and maybe the apartment that sounded the noisiest was CoMo's apartment. So the cop really thought he was in the right apartment.
Can you see how the sense of entitlement by CoMoChief looked like disrespect to the officer?
Can you also see how the cop may think something was wrong with that, if he really believed he was in the right apartment?
How much easier it would have been if CoMo complied to the best of his ability without rocking the boat?

Besides, why on earth would you want to piss off someone with a gun, regardless of why they are carrying it, or what their responsibilities are supposed to be.

boogblaster
09-14-2007, 09:15 AM
Human-factor nearly always is never part of the story...people ****-up...cops included ...

Pitt Gorilla
09-14-2007, 09:17 AM
[size=4]I'm sick of all this crap, "another dipshit cop" threads, they risk thier lives to try and keep peace, but you'd rather be able to drive drunk or stoned. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this a case of "another dipshit cop?"

Fish
09-14-2007, 09:18 AM
or a jerk politician, or a jerk doctor, or a jerk judge , or a jerk who prepares your food (resturant/food packaging).

146 cops lost thier lives in 2006 doing their jobs, how many doctors/politicians died doing theirs?

I've said it before, I know there are Jerk cops, and video them, get it out in the open, I don't want them working the job either. BUT there are FAR FAR FAR MORE good cops than there are bad. I'm only saying they deserve our respect, even if they are wrong, because the one that died yesterday, the suspect was probably being an ass to him too. If I'm a cop and getting disrespected, I'm thinking something is up with that person, and wondering what that is.

But then again, I remember the last time you were defending a jackass cop.... in your own words Mr. Ex-Officer...

If I tell you to get down and you don't, I get to put you down. Don't like it? Then just get your ass down when I said to, and then we can both worry about questions and answers later.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showpost.php?p=4048872&postcount=119

Hailchief
09-14-2007, 09:20 AM
Ouch.....

crazycoffey
09-14-2007, 09:20 AM
Human-factor nearly always is never part of the story...people ****-up...cops included ...

This is exactly right! But take people's actions on a case by case basis, don't generalize those charter flaws into just one profession, just one race, etc.

beach tribe
09-14-2007, 09:23 AM

Yea, there ARE A LOT of great cops out there, and there A LOT of power drunk bitches, with shirts so tight, it cuts off the circulation to their brain, who take these jobs specifically to validate themselves, after groing up as pussies.

Thank you to all the REAL police officers out there doing your job. The world is a better place because of you, and this comment is not directed toward you.

To the rest: take off that badge and I'll stomp your ass.

BTW I had to call the police the other day on a woman who threw a glass in the bar, and then would not pay her tab(she only had a couple drinks, but was obviously disturbed in other ways).

The cop arrived with her still sitting in her seat, asked me what I wanted him to do, and I told him I just wanted her to pay her tab, and leave(I have to pay it if they walk, so I didn't throw her out.)

He tells her she has 10 seconds to pay her tab. She just sits there.
10 sec is up, he jerks all 85 lbs of her up, and slams her to the floor, busting her lip.

I scream HEY MAN WTF!!!!

He looks up at me and screams" You trying to tell me how to do my job"!!!?
I AM STUNNED , and feeling guilty as hell. If I knew that was going to happen I would have never called them(HIM).

This is not the only story.(but it is the only one at the bar, or involving a woman.)

And PLEASE don't give me that shit about how he doesn't know if she's dangerous. She was about 45yrs old 5' 2" 85lbs with her hands on the bar,so don't even try.

And yes, I still feel guilty. Believe me, this shit was ugly.

crazycoffey
09-14-2007, 09:24 AM
Ouch.....

how is that an ouch? It is more like quoted for truth. If I (as a cop) tell you I need you to get down, questioning why is only going to make it worse. Sorry, but the suspects that decide to fight or kill a police officer don't comply with orders, every one of the fighters decide not to comply with orders. I know this doesn't mean that everyone who doesn't comply is going to fight or kill me, but it puts my guard up another notch or two. Why, because I'd rather be wrong, than dead wrong.

KcMizzou
09-14-2007, 09:27 AM
In my experience the majority of cops just tend to reflect back whatever attitude they receive.

Sure there are bad apples, but in my experience, they're fairly rare.

crazycoffey
09-14-2007, 09:32 AM
In my experience the majority of cops just tend to reflect back whatever attitude they receive.

Exactly, reflecting the attitude recieved is a great way to describe it.

:clap:

I said the reason why in this and other threads but here it is agian;
Not everyone that fails to comply with an order is going to fight with a cop, but everyone of the suspects that DID FIGHT with a cop - failed to comply with lawful orders.

ChiefsFan4Life
09-14-2007, 10:02 AM
Agreed. At least he got a little nicer at the end.

Yeah, AFTER he noticed there was a camera, lol.

ENDelt260
09-14-2007, 10:05 AM

Actually, I didn't say that.

StcChief
09-14-2007, 10:06 AM
cop maybe at tad over the top.

ENDelt260
09-14-2007, 10:10 AM
Can you see how the sense of entitlement by CoMoChief looked like disrespect to the officer?

Of for f*ck's sake. He has every right to his "sense of entitlement". A person should be able to have an evening at home without being harassed for no reason. The average citizen doesn't walk around every day in a position of special blessing to not have your mag lite crammed up his ass. You're not someone special just because of your job. Unless I've committed a crime, no you're not seeing my id, no I'm not obligated to talk to you, no you're not coming in my house, no you're not getting shit from me that I don't feel like giving. I'm sorry your job's hard, but I'm not you're f*cking whipping boy. Suck it up, or go work at 7-Eleven.

crazycoffey
09-14-2007, 10:13 AM
Actually, I didn't say that.

Pretty much;

Beside the obvious point you missed, that it's not the cop's fault you broke the law, this was your answer to there being jerks in every profession.

ENDelt260
09-14-2007, 10:15 AM
CC, I'm glad you're not the dumbass cop drawing conclusions outside my door. Somehow you already have me committing a crime, and you've wasted no time in twisting my words. Course, I'm sure another just like you will be along shortly. You're doing a terrible job of making your case that average folks should be more sympathetic to cops.

Inspector
09-14-2007, 11:02 AM
Of for f*ck's sake. He has every right to his "sense of entitlement". A person should be able to have an evening at home without being harassed for no reason. The average citizen doesn't walk around every day in a position of special blessing to not have your mag lite crammed up his ass. You're not someone special just because of your job. Unless I've committed a crime, no you're not seeing my id, no I'm not obligated to talk to you, no you're not coming in my house, no you're not getting shit from me that I don't feel like giving. I'm sorry your job's hard, but I'm not you're f*cking whipping boy. Suck it up, or go work at 7-Eleven.

Well put.

I get the feeling from dealing with some police officers that they, at times, seem to forget who is the employer and who is the employee. It's not a job for everyone, only for those who have the right attitude to be a public servant.

1 million good cops doing everything correctly does not excuse the one bad one doing it wrong.

And no police officer has the right to get a crappy attitude with a citizen just because the citizen might have a crappy attitude back at them. Can't take the heat? Get out of the kitchen. Part of the job.

That's like saying I should expect the guy at any business to only treat me well if I'm in a chipper mood and being a real good guy to him. That just seems nuts to me.

Just keep your "bad ass police tough guy I'm gonna take you down" atttitude directed to someone who has actually commited a crime in front of you. Otherwise he's presumed innocent. And questioning your actions as one of your employers is not comitting a crime.

It's really not that difficult of a concept to understand is it?

crazycoffey
09-14-2007, 11:22 AM
CC, I'm glad you're not the dumbass cop drawing conclusions outside my door. Somehow you already have me committing a crime, and you've wasted no time in twisting my words. Course, I'm sure another just like you will be along shortly. You're doing a terrible job of making your case that average folks should be more sympathetic to cops.

whatever, you're the badass right?
Guess what, we're both glad I'm not the cop outside your door then. Because if I'm doing my job, and I'm one of the good ones, and I ask for your ID, or ask for you to get down and you don't, I'm thinking you may be a threat. (BTW, I know of stories where little ladies have killed officers, so size has less to do with it than demeanor) I get to be in control of the situation not you. That's the rules of the game always has been and always will be.

Again, I don't agree with all cops, never have and never will. I do know there are those that should never wear a badge and as glad as I am this guy got exposed for making the wrong decisions (and the others that have too), I'm equally saddened by the length some of you will go to make others believe the majority of cops are dicks.

My only goal in these type of threads is to stand up for the institution of peace keepering, not to defend the actions of the few F-ups. We were using a scenerio to try and make the debate more realistic, or I was anyway.

FAX
09-14-2007, 11:25 AM
Your point is well made, Mr. CrazyCoffey.

You can't make the Freedom Omelette without breaking a few eggs, or heads, or occasionally putting 80 9mm rounds into a guy holding a shoe.

FAX

Pitt Gorilla
09-14-2007, 11:29 AM
Again, I don't agree with all cops, never have and never will. I do know there are those that should never wear a badge and as glad as I am this guy got exposed for making the wrong decisions (and the others that have too), I'm equally saddened by the length some of you will go to make others believe the majority of cops are dicks.Honestly, I'm not seeing a lot of people saying that the "majority" of cops are dicks.

ENDelt260

Because I'm unwilling to submit unquestioningly to any random request from a cop?

Guess what, we're both glad I'm not the cop outside your door then. Because if I'm doing my job, and I'm one of the good ones...

Then we won't have a problem. You show up to my door when I haven't done anything with the sort of ignorant attitude you've exhibited in this thread and we'll both have a shitty afternoon. And it's not on me for believing a citizen has the right to go through his day without being harassed.

Just because someone has pinned on a badge doesn't make everyone they talk to not wearing a badge a suspect. The badge-wearer's job is to protect the rights of the citizen, not harass him until he turns him into a criminal.

My only goal in these type of threads is to stand up for the institution of peace keepering

The only thing you've accomplished is to show that you're just as shitty a cop as you are a message board poster.

crazycoffey
Your point is well made, Mr. CrazyCoffey.

You can't make the Freedom Omelette without breaking a few eggs, or heads, or occasionally putting 80 9mm rounds into a guy holding a shoe.

FAX

not what I was saying, funny, but not what I was saying at all.
How about, don't be an egghead or try to use a shoe for a gun?

FAX
09-14-2007, 11:34 AM
not what I was saying, funny, but not what I was saying at all.
How about, don't be an egghead or try to use a shoe for a gun?

With all respect, Mr. CrazyCoffey, it is kinda what you're saying.

If I understand you correctly, your position is that the police officer has the authority, responsibility, and duty to force a citizen to comply with his commands no matter what they are or the circumstance surrounding the event. And, along the way, if mistakes are made, they are, to a degree, understandable and part of the job.

Is that not your position?

FAX

BIG_DADDY
09-14-2007, 11:36 AM
Because I'm unwilling to submit unquestioningly to any random request from a cop?

Then we won't have a problem. You show up to my door when I haven't done anything with the sort of ignorant attitude you've exhibited in this thread and we'll both have a shitty afternoon. And it's not on me for believing a citizen has the right to go through his day without being harassed.

Just because someone has pinned on a badge doesn't make everyone they talk to not wearing a badge a suspect. The badge-wearer's job is to protect the rights of the citizen, not harass him until he turns him into a criminal.

The only thing you've accomplished is to show that you're just as shitty a cop as you are a message board poster.

What's with your signature?

crazycoffey
09-14-2007, 11:41 AM

If it is random you are right, absolutely.
I'm only suggesting that you don't know the whole story, and neither does the cop, so let him ask the questions and figure out he's in the wrong apartment, appologize and be on his way. Be a dick and he's going to think something is wrong, it's natural. And I'm applying this to the one example of the wrong apartment. I don't know all the facts there, I'm offering a different perspective as one that has worn the badge.

I never suggested that anyone not wearing a badge is a suspect, again I was offering a perspective you may not be aware of.

Oh, come on. Don't be jealous because I'm the newest post whore on the block. Have I stolen your thunder?

Ari Chi3fs
09-14-2007, 11:48 AM
No wonder i have CrazyCoffey on ignore. If he is a cop, he is a douche cop. I know he is a douche. But putting 'cop' in there just adds to the douchebaggery.

****ing douche.

Fish
09-14-2007, 11:48 AM
Guess what, we're both glad I'm not the cop outside your door then. Because if I'm doing my job, and I'm one of the good ones, and I ask for your ID, or ask for you to get down and you don't, I'm thinking you may be a threat. (BTW, I know of stories where little ladies have killed officers, so size has less to do with it than demeanor) I get to be in control of the situation not you. That's the rules of the game always has been and always will be.

Again, thanks for pointing out the line of thinking....

It's a control thing. Respect my authoritie!

Heaven forbid we have presumed innocent civilians in control of their own actions.... who are we to question authority after repeated instances like this come to light?

crazycoffey
09-14-2007, 11:50 AM
With all respect, Mr. CrazyCoffey, it is kinda what you're saying.

If I understand you correctly, your position is that the police officer has the authority, responsibility, and duty to force a citizen to comply with his commands no matter what they are or the circumstance surrounding the event. And, along the way, if mistakes are made, they are, to a degree, understandable and part of the job.

Is that not your position?

FAX

Fax I always enjoy your demeanor, educated and fair. We can always have a discussion of differences with respect, the way it should be.

In this case, no that's not what I'm saying at all. It does matter about the circumstances leading up to the situation, of course. I'm suggesting that there are circumstances leading up to a situation that a citzen may not be fully aware of. In the interest of sharing my knowledge/perspective from wearing a badge, it would seem in the best interest of everyone to be polite and helpful so the resolution will be uneventful.

There are any number of circumstances that could lead a police officer to your door in error. Not only that he's a dumbass cop.

crazycoffey
09-14-2007, 11:50 AM
No wonder i have CrazyCoffey on ignore. If he is a cop, he is a douche cop. I know he is a douche. But putting 'cop' in there just adds to the douchebaggery.

****ing douche.

nice, but you don't know me at all.

crazycoffey
09-14-2007, 11:53 AM
Again, thanks for pointing out the line of thinking....

That the cop gets to be in control of the situation? Yes that is the line of thinking, with purpose even. It's trained into cops, and for good reason.

Skip Towne
09-14-2007, 11:58 AM
If it is random you are right, absolutely.
I'm only suggesting that you don't know the whole story, and neither does the cop, so let him ask the questions and figure out he's in the wrong apartment, appologize and be on his way. Be a dick and he's going to think something is wrong, it's natural. And I'm applying this to the one example of the wrong apartment. I don't know all the facts there, I'm offering a different perspective as one that has worn the badge.

I never suggested that anyone not wearing a badge is a suspect, again I was offering a perspective you may not be aware of.

Oh, come on. Don't be jealous because I'm the newest post whore on the block. Have I stolen your thunder?
You couldn't carry his beer.

crazycoffey
09-14-2007, 12:00 PM

I can't, none of you will let me....

FAX
09-14-2007, 12:02 PM

I'm not completely sure a pack mule could carry his beer.

FAX

Chiefnj2
09-14-2007, 12:12 PM
CrazyC is doing a great job of reinforcing the negative stereotype he would like to avoid.

Radar Chief
09-14-2007, 12:17 PM

Pretty much, this guy seemed to get worked up pretty quick over nothing really.

Uhrig said Kuehnlein stopped to talk to Darrow because police have received reports of thefts from cars in the area. But Uhrig said the officer's actions and tone were inappropriate.

Since this is the reason this cop is wondering around the parking lot asking for this guys ID, what's so hard about just explaining it to the guy?
He had his authority questioned and flipped out. Maybe the responsibility of a badge is too much for him. Either that or he thinks, “being ready for anything” means “getting worked up for a confrontation before hand.” :shrug:

RodInCanton
09-14-2007, 12:18 PM
Hey Coffey,
I don't post here that much but i do lurk quite a bit. I couldn't stand the OM today as there are too many Pats fans trying to justify their known actions so I decided to come here and read the planet. I do respect the job that officers have to perform - I do know it's not one I would want. The problem I have w/ most officers and I am gonna take a guess here and say most people I know is that crappy blue wall of silence.
An example: A few years ago I had a Sat football bbq at my house and we get a noise complaint. No big deal I thought. I would go and speak w/ the officers (I only had maybe one or two beers in me as I was busy cooking). I get to the front door (I had already turned down the music) and speak w/ the officer. He starts asking me if I didnt' think he had anything better to do than track down noise complaints. I just sat back and smiled and he got in my face and asked me what I found so funny. I just continued to smile and didn't say anything. He pushed me in the chest and was acting like he was gonna do something. Now this guy is maybe 5'8'' 165 lbs. I stand around 6'2'' 230 (I played linebacker for a small college) and would smash this punk if we were anywhere else. I have to take this crap because he has his uniform on. His partner, thank goodness, steps in between us and leads me aside. He was a great officer (so sad he was partnered up w/ this guy) and we got things resolved in a couple minutes. The next day, I go to the precinct and ask to see a supervisor. I tell the supervisor what happened and he questions his officers. They BOTH denied what I reported and made it seem like I was out of line and deserved what i got. This is what upsets me about the police. They will not root out the pieces of sh!t on their own and then wonder why people don't like them. Sorry, but if you guys want respect you've gotta start w/ your own people. Dont' stick up for crappy cops (it doesn't seem like you do or would) and treat people like you'd want somebody treating your own kid, wife, father and mother!

Alright. Back to lurking...

StcChief
09-14-2007, 12:25 PM
They BOTH denied what I reported and made it seem like I was out of line and deserved what i got. This is what upsets me about the police. They will not root out the pieces of sh!t on their own and then wonder why people don't like them. Sorry, but if you guys want respect you've gotta start w/ your own people. Dont' stick up for crappy cops (it doesn't seem like you do or would) and treat people like you'd want somebody treating your own kid, wife, father and mother!
Agreed. I guess everybody needs video tape going constantly just to protect themselves.

Cops rating each other out? They can't get enough good ones out of the Acedemy for the little amount they get paid. that's the shame. Replacement of officers seems like it won't happen.

And as long as they are treated as Heros when dieing in the line of duty (A job they choose) it won't get better either.

BIG_DADDY
09-14-2007, 12:25 PM

****ing douche.

So what are you trying to say here? :hmmm:

Inspector
09-14-2007, 12:32 PM
It's pretty clear from reading this thread that most negative connotations people have about cops is coming from their own experiences. Not what they read on a message board.

These are just a few examples of why cops get a bad rap. Because there are some bad ones. Other cops covering for the bad ones just keeps it going. If good cops don't keep their ranks clean, then they're probably really not good cops.

And when citizens are called to serve on a jury, it makes the prosecuters job just that much harder...especially if the case is impacted the actions or testimony of the cops involved. See O.J.

C'mon police people! Figure out how to get the public on your side again. Seems that should be part of your job too.

IMO.

crazycoffey
09-14-2007, 01:11 PM
It's pretty clear from reading this thread that most negative connotations people have about cops is coming from their own experiences. Not what they read on a message board.
C'mon police people! Figure out how to get the public on your side again. Seems that should be part of your job too.

IMO.

Inspector, yes it is clear that the negative readings come from their own experience. I wanted to share a different view in hopes of a greater benefit.

as far as rooting out the bad apples, I wish it were that easy, there are very very few that I've ever worked with in any capacity that I would really be able to say they shouldn't wear a badge. Even this guy in the Tread start post, probably seems ok to his co-workers and they wouldn't think he would or could do this. Of course it's also St. Louis proper, and there's not enough money for me to go to work there. So, grain of salt....

I promise to all of chiefs planet, I vow to help root out any cops that I see make a mistake, and I'll have no problems with that. And again I'm not standing up for this guy, or the guy in Rod's story.

DenverChief
09-14-2007, 01:19 PM
I have avoided this thread for a reason...haven't read anything...watched the video....all I have to say is CrazyC speaks for me

crazycoffey
09-14-2007, 02:04 PM
I should have avoided it too, just got a bit torqued at Percy. He posted a day old "dump cop" story yesterday when about the same time there was an ongoing manhunt for an officer slaying in Miami....

El Jefe
09-14-2007, 03:07 PM
I have avoided this thread for a reason...haven't read anything...watched the video....all I have to say is CrazyC speaks for me

I will have to say I agree with CC also, I find his points to be very valid, and im not a cop. I haven't had a problem with police officers and dont play to, but you don't plan these things anyway.

chasedude
09-14-2007, 03:19 PM
I've had my run ins with law enforcement but it was all my doing. Most situations I've come across many of the officers were very cordial and understanding. I have come across the occasional "holier that now" attitude in some officers but I don't ridicule them all as a whole. My dad was a cop when I grew up and he put up with alot of shit before he left the job. CC you seem to be a stand up guy, you ever pull me over give me a break eh? lol

RodInCanton
09-14-2007, 03:34 PM
I promise to all of chiefs planet, I vow to help root out any cops that I see make a mistake, and I'll have no problems with that. And again I'm not standing up for this guy, or the guy in Rod's story.

:thumb:
Definitely not trying to say that you don't or wouldn't. You seem like a good guy as does DenverChief - as i would say most officers are. It's just that small minority but that small minority can really mess up somebody's life (or even end it if they really wanted). Like I said, I respect the job being done. Just trying to relate why there is a LOT of animosity to the men in blue from the general public. It's not the 98% of the good guys getting the press - it's the 2% of social rejects who have a badge and a gun.