PDA

View Full Version : Greg Oden out for the season?

Joe Seahawk
09-13-2007, 12:34 PM
Wow. I just heard Oden had microfracture surgery and is out for the season..
Damn!

Saulbadguy
09-13-2007, 12:35 PM
Durant for ROY!

Direckshun
09-13-2007, 12:39 PM
Secretly, that's the best thing that could happen to the horrible Blazers.

Sit Oden for a year, accrue another awful record and draft a stud guard.

Oden comes back and you've got two young playmakers you can build a team around that could play with one another for 10 years.

RustShack
09-13-2007, 12:39 PM
Kinda sucks, but if you look at the positive... They will probably suck again this year, have a pretty good chance at a high draft pick, and will have a couple superstars for the future!

Off topic- GO CAVALIERS!!!

El Jefe
09-13-2007, 12:40 PM
Link? I heard he was getting his knee scoped, no word on the duration of the recovery, but the whole season would be devistating to the Blazers.

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-13-2007, 12:41 PM
Microfracture surgery is a big f*cking deal for an NBA player.

That's probably the worst surgery any NBA player could have in regards to their long term career.

You might have just gotten yourselves Sam Bowie, part deux.

El Jefe
09-13-2007, 12:42 PM
http://espn.go.com/

Wow front page, man that sucks.

Direckshun

That's probably the worst surgery any NBA player could have in regards to their long term career.
How so?

DaKCMan AP
Secretly, that's the best thing that could happen to the horrible Blazers.

Sit Oden for a year, accrue another awful record and draft a stud guard.

Oden comes back and you've got two young playmakers you can build a team around that could play with one another for 10 years.

It's not like they were going to be competitive this year even with Oden.

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-13-2007, 12:44 PM
How so?

It's risky, involves the knee joint, and has a high failure rate.

You basically drill microscopic holes in the knee and hope for new cartilige to form.

Penny Hardaway and Allan Houston never recovered from theirs. Jason Kidd hasn't been nearly as explosive since, and Amare Stoudamire is looking better, but still isn't the force he was before, and he had his two years ago.

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-13-2007, 12:45 PM
Funny, I see this post, the next song that comes up on my media server is "Jeremy"...some depressing northwest music for the Blazers.

Uhh huh Uh huh Uh huh Uh huh. WHOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAA

Phobia
09-13-2007, 12:47 PM
Never heard of him.

El Jefe
09-13-2007, 12:48 PM
Never heard of him.

Yeah sure.

Direckshun
09-13-2007, 12:49 PM
It's risky, involves the knee joint, and has a high failure rate.

You basically drill microscopic holes in the knee and hope for new cartilige to form.

Penny Hardaway and Allan Houston never recovered from theirs. Jason Kidd hasn't been nearly as explosive since, and Amare Stoudamire is looking better, but still isn't the force he was before, and he had his two years ago.
I hear ya.

Although Stoudamire was on the All NBA First Team last year, so.

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-13-2007, 12:50 PM
I forgot about Chris Webber. Watch video of Chris Webber from 2001 and compare it to the 2005 Chris Webber. They aren't even the same person.

Terrell Brandon and Jamal Mashburn are two others who never recovered.

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-13-2007, 12:52 PM
Some wiki stuff:

Partially because of the high level of stress placed on the knees by these athletes, the surgery is not a panacea and results have been mixed. Many players' careers effectively end despite the surgery.

Current studies have shown a success rate of 75 to 80 percent among patients 45 years of age or younger, even among professional athletes.[3][5] With the help of physical therapy, patients can often return to sports (or other intense activities) in about 4 months.

However, this is a best-case scenario and depends on the severity of the cartilage damage (and any other conditions existing in the knee). Normal patients and professional athletes who play at the highest level however are quite different, as Chris Webber, who underwent the surgery, has stated that a full recovery in 4 months is nearly impossible.

the Talking Can
09-13-2007, 12:54 PM
what a shame, he may never be the same player...at least got paid...

Basileus777
09-13-2007, 12:56 PM
I hear ya.

Although Stoudamire was on the All NBA First Team last year, so.

Amare's not the same now as he was pre-surgery. He doesn't have the same explosiveness or athleticism as before. He puts up semi-equal numbers because he has the luxury of playing with Nash, and he developed a reliable jumpshot. Oden has neither.

Apart from what happened with Livingston, microfracture is perhaps the most serious surgery/injury in basketball. Looks like Durant & Scola will be fighting for ROY.

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-13-2007, 12:57 PM
what a shame, he may never be the same player...at least got paid...

He got paid according to us, he didn't get "paid". NBA players collect bank on their second and third contracts.

DaKCMan AP
09-13-2007, 01:06 PM
He got paid according to us, he didn't get "paid". NBA players collect bank on their second and third contracts.

Forget NBA contracts, he got endorsement deals.

Mr. Plow
09-13-2007, 01:16 PM
That sucks. My fantasy football team is ruined now.

Hydrae
09-13-2007, 01:25 PM

You might have just gotten yourselves Sam Bowie, part deux.

My first thought was all the trouble Walton always had with his feet and then what's his name, the Russian they drafted. By the time they could convince him to come here to play he was a shell of what he had been. The Blazers have had a lot of bad luck with their big men.

DaKCMan AP
09-13-2007, 01:26 PM
My first thought was all the trouble Walton always had with his feet and then what's his name, the Russian they drafted. By the time they could convince him to come here to play he was a shell of what he had been. The Blazers have had a lot of bad luck with their big men.

Arvydis (sp?) Sabonis

Hydrae
09-13-2007, 01:27 PM
Arvydis (sp?) Sabonis

Yeah, that's him. Not sure on his first name spelling either. :shrug:

As it was they were a strong team for several years with Drexel and Porter. They would have been a force if Sabonis played with them before his knees were shot.

Tribal Warfare
09-13-2007, 01:44 PM
Kinda sucks, but if you look at the positive... They will probably suck again this year, have a pretty good chance at a high draft pick, and will have a couple superstars for the future!

Like the David Robinson injury thus getting Tim Duncun with the 1st overall pick

DaKCMan AP
09-13-2007, 01:46 PM
Like the David Robinson injury thus getting Tim Duncun with the 1st overall pick

Except Greg Oden isn't as good as David Robinson was or Tim Duncan his rookie year.

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-13-2007, 01:51 PM
And the fact that this is a devastating injury for a big man.

This isn't Tommy John surgery, it's a BFD.

evolve27
09-13-2007, 01:52 PM
Trailblazers will now have a chance at Brandon Rush. :shake:

DaKCMan AP
09-13-2007, 01:55 PM
Trailblazers will now have a chance at Brandon Rush.

Like he's going to be a top-5 pick ROFL

Tribal Warfare
09-13-2007, 01:57 PM
Except Greg Oden isn't as good as David Robinson was or Tim Duncan his rookie year.

of course we don't know how good Oden will be, but the principle theory is sound

cadmonkey
09-13-2007, 02:01 PM
And Danny Ainge is secretly beating off in his Boston Gahden Office.

Basileus777
09-13-2007, 02:02 PM
of course we don't know how good Oden will be, but the principle theory is sound

Blazers can have all the potential they want, but they'll have to produce eventually. To that end, Oden's injury is a setback and perhaps a major setback if the injury isn't healed right.

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-13-2007, 02:41 PM
Simmons ganked my Bowie reference....:cuss:

BWillie
09-13-2007, 02:51 PM
And Danny Ainge is secretly beating off in his Boston Gahden Office.

HAHA.

Yeah, but I have a feeling Boston is still going to be shitty. Not real shitty, but lakers shitty. Which is pretty shitty. I want to clarify I would like to say shitty one more time. So here it is, shitty.

Thank you.

ottawa_chiefs_fan
09-13-2007, 03:34 PM
...maybe he really is 85?