PDA

View Full Version : Anybody ever go out of their way for you?

El Jefe
09-13-2007, 02:24 PM
For no apparent reason, just to help you out. I am gonna tell you, I have been pleasantly suprised by one of the guys on here, who I will mention later.

I have been having a lot of problems with my knee after the surgery I had to fix it. I have had conversations with Big_Daddy before, he has helped me on a lot of stuff with my dog, and given me a lot of info on working out and what not. He gave me a lot of information about a supplement and the DR. who has been pushing this supplement. This supplement could help me in my recovery with my knee. He went out of his way to get this information for me and offer to ship it to my house and then I could send him a check. I just have been overwhelmed with him doing so much for someone he has never met. He has a full plate himself, with his new son (congrats again).

It has been a nightmare with my knee, it's been almost 10 months now, and it's the same as it was before the surgery. So Big_Daddy going out of his way to help me out with this has been a blessing.

Who has gone above and beyond the call of duty to help you out with something. I'm not trying to embarrass him, but I cant tell him how much I appreciate all the help he has given me. Thanks BIG_DADDY.

KcMizzou
09-13-2007, 02:38 PM
Very cool. (And best of luck with your recovery)

To answer your question, yes. After our fire, the company I work for had BBQ for us, and raised a little over $3k to help get us back on our feet. (Not to mention kids clothes, toys, dishes etc.) It was done in secret, and I was totally floored by it.

It's easy to get frustrated with your job and/or coworkers on a day to day basis, but man.. something like that really gives you a different perspective.

Since then, I've really tried to pitch in as much as I can in similar situations. Being on the other end of it is quite an eye opener.

chasedude
09-13-2007, 02:52 PM
So much bashing and flaming goes on around here, it's nice to see an UPlifting story occasionally, thanks. WTG Big_Daddy, sounds like you're an alright guy.

I try to help out as much as I can for friends. I've given rides, helped out on their computers free of charge, Lent over some cash. I believe these people will remember the things you've done for them and when you're in need they're there to help.

El Jefe
09-13-2007, 03:42 PM
Very cool. (And best of luck with your recovery)

To answer your question, yes. After our fire, the company I work for had BBQ for us, and raised a little over $3k to help get us back on our feet. (Not to mention kids clothes, toys, dishes etc.) It was done in secret, and I was totally floored by it.

It's easy to get frustrated with your job and/or coworkers on a day to day basis, but man.. something like that really gives you a different perspective.

Since then, I've really tried to pitch in as much as I can in similar situations. Being on the other end of it is quite an eye opener.

Man this is the kind of story I was looking forward to reading. It's crazy when someone helps you and you dont expect it, because more often than not people these days dont give a crap about you. I agree chasedude, you just never know when someone is going to help you, so I am like you and try to help people out as much as I can.

El Jefe
09-13-2007, 04:11 PM
Man nobody else has had anybody help them out.. Seems a bit sad if that's the case.

Adept Havelock
09-13-2007, 04:14 PM
Yep. Sure have. I try to return the favor when I can. "Pay it forward" and all of that...

Good luck with the recovery.

RockChalk
09-13-2007, 04:18 PM
Man nobody else has had anybody help them out.. Seems a bit sad if that's the case.

i would say that for the most part, this board thrives off of negativity, so people are reluctant to post anything positive.

Jilly
09-13-2007, 04:21 PM
i would say that for the most part, this board thrives off of negativity, so people are reluctant to post anything positive.

I feel like if I did something nice for someone and if they told everyone about it, I'd be kinda embarassed. But that's just me. So I don't generally talk about what others do for me either. Maybe that's wrong, but that's how I roll I guess.

kepp
09-13-2007, 04:28 PM
My wife and I had a really nice landlady in Los Angeles. She really cut us a break on rent for a couple years. She said that her accountant was mad at her but that, for some reason, she just liked us. She probably saved us $400/month on rent. Even though we're several years removed from L.A., we still keep in touch with her and send her updated pictures and things. Nice lady.

RockChalk
09-13-2007, 04:29 PM
I feel like if I did something nice for someone and if they told everyone about it, I'd be kinda embarassed. But that's just me. So I don't generally talk about what others do for me either. Maybe that's wrong, but that's how I roll I guess.

oh i understand exactly what you're saying.

i'm just saying a lot of the comments on CP are negative, so people either feel uncomfortable posting positive things or just simply don't have stories to tell. or they're like you Jilly and don't want to talk about it. it's a lot easier to be negative than positive, plus when talking about the chiefs, it's hard to be positive :banghead:

El Jefe
09-13-2007, 04:40 PM
oh i understand exactly what you're saying.

i'm just saying a lot of the comments on CP are negative, so people either feel uncomfortable posting positive things or just simply don't have stories to tell. or they're like you Jilly and don't want to talk about it. it's a lot easier to be negative than positive, plus when talking about the chiefs, it's hard to be positive :banghead:

I will have to agree with this, people on here arent generally positive most of the time.

TinyEvel
09-13-2007, 04:44 PM
Luv left the bash, picked me up at the airport and brought me to NZoner's. Then she gave me a sober ride back to the airport Sunday afternoon.
THANKS LUV! :thumb:

MichaelH
09-13-2007, 04:45 PM
What a great story! Between the Chiefs dismal outlook and a job that's extremely frustrating with little satisfaction, I love hearing such things.

It's been a long time since someone helped me out the kindness of their heart. It was my Dad. My wife and I had just bought our first house and it needed some work. My Dad suffered from terrible arthiritus but managed to get the whole interior of our house painted before we moved in. I couldn't afford it at the time and was working long hours 50 miles away just to pay the bills.

Damn I miss my Dad! :(

El Jefe
09-13-2007, 04:55 PM
What a great story! Between the Chiefs dismal outlook and a job that's extremely frustrating with little satisfaction, I love hearing such things.

It's been a long time since someone helped me out the kindness of their heart. It was my Dad. My wife and I had just bought our first house and it needed some work. My Dad suffered from terrible arthiritus but managed to get the whole interior of our house painted before we moved in. I couldn't afford it at the time and was working long hours 50 miles away just to pay the bills.

Damn I miss my Dad! :(

That's another great story, it's the best when you expect nothing and someone gives you everything (so to speak). Sorry to hear about your dad RIP.

Baconeater
09-13-2007, 05:58 PM
Luv left the bash, picked me up at the airport and brought me to NZoner's. Then she gave me a sober ride back to the airport Sunday afternoon.
(ahem) Who else took time out of the Planet Bash to come get you? You would've never seen her if it wasn't for my expert arm waving skills.

Phobia
09-13-2007, 06:03 PM
There have been plenty of these stories on the Planet. We've even taken up collections for people on hard times. If you ever need a mortgage, send a PM to BillLundberg - that dude went far beyond the call for me a couple of months ago. I posted a thread about it at the time.

Count Alex's Losses
09-13-2007, 06:06 PM
I received free tickets from Dallas Chief for the KC/Dallas game in 2005. OnTheWarPath58 offered me a free ticket to the game last weekend (I turned him down). Last year BigRedChief comped me at festivus and Phil let me stay at his house. In River Falls, Dave Lane took myself and a colleague out to dinner.

The Planet kicks ass.

El Jefe
09-13-2007, 06:09 PM
[QUOTE=GOATSE]I received free tickets from Dallas Chief for the KC/Dallas game in 2005. OnTheWarPath58 offered me a free ticket to the game last weekend (I turned him down). Last year BigRedChief comped me at festivus and Phil let me stay at his house. In River Falls, Dave Lane took myself and a colleague out to dinner.

[B]

I will have to agree with you, a bunch of people who dont know each other, but who will always offer words of help or prayer when you have had a death in the family, or lost a job etc.

Baby Lee
09-13-2007, 06:11 PM
Even nice things they do if you make them a salad?

OnTheWarpath58
09-13-2007, 06:18 PM
I received free tickets from Dallas Chief for the KC/Dallas game in 2005. OnTheWarPath58 offered me a free ticket to the game last weekend (I turned him down). Last year BigRedChief comped me at festivus and Phil let me stay at his house. In River Falls, Dave Lane took myself and a colleague out to dinner.

The Planet kicks ass.

I agree.

I'm not gonna list the folks who have helped my wife and I out, they know who they are and may not feel comfortable with the recognition.

There are plenty of good-hearted, generous people who frequent this place.

JazzzLovr
09-13-2007, 06:26 PM
When I was in a car wreck three years ago, it was stevieray that picked me up from the hospital when I was released. We got all the way back to my apartment when I realized that the police officer had given me my purse, but left my keys (including the key to my apartment) in my wrecked SUV. Stevie insisted that I come back and stay at their place until morning when my mom could bring her spare key.

For several months after that, Stevie and his wife Rana, Phobia, and KCWolfman drove me to and from doctor's appointments until I got medical clearance to drive again.

There are plenty of good-hearted, generous people who frequent this place.

What he said. :)

Ari Chi3fs
09-13-2007, 06:57 PM
Nick Athan went out of his way to give me $500 once.

Phobia
09-13-2007, 07:00 PM
Nick "The Erroneous One" Athan went out of his way to give me $500 once.

Nick has paid me significantly more than that now. He's all caught up.

Ari Chi3fs
09-13-2007, 07:14 PM
Nick has paid me significantly more than that now. He's all caught up.

That's good to hear.

Halfcan
09-13-2007, 07:22 PM
I agree-Big Daddy is a class act. Top ten cool dude on the Planet.

big nasty kcnut
09-13-2007, 07:32 PM
Chiefs planet help me many of times when i feeling down on my luck. And they alway telling me that i'm a ok guy.

Fairplay
09-13-2007, 07:35 PM
Big Daddy is one cool dude, no question about it.

I would think most of the planeteers would be helpful to one another, especially if you PM certain ones you feel comfortable with a situation or problem or just want to get something off your chest.

luv
09-13-2007, 08:08 PM
(ahem) Who else took time out of the Planet Bash to come get you? You would've never seen her if it wasn't for my expert arm waving skills.
Actually, I think I should thank you for that. I really wasn't looking forward to driving to the airport by myself. Having someone with me made me much less nervous. Thanks Bugeater!

I would also add Direckshun. He let me stay at his place last April when I came up to KC for the BBQ at Phil's. Really helped the pocketbook not having to get a hotel. Also, when I invited him to go to the Dolphins preseason game with me, he ended up having to drive. I appreciated it.

And then there's Darkwolfe. According to pictures, he doctored me when I decided to start beating myself up at the bash.

Very, very cool people on here.

Lonewolf Ed
09-13-2007, 08:13 PM
No one has ever really gone out of their way on my behalf, but many people certainly expect me to do so for them! :cuss:

Iowanian
09-13-2007, 08:16 PM
I know of several good examples, but I hesitate to name names.

I can give an example from the planet....Members of the planet sent me BOXES of items that I shipped to my brother's unit in Iraq last year. Alot of good stuff.

El Jefe
09-13-2007, 08:53 PM
When I was in a car wreck three years ago, it was stevieray that picked me up from the hospital when I was released. We got all the way back to my apartment when I realized that the police officer had given me my purse, but left my keys (including the key to my apartment) in my wrecked SUV. Stevie insisted that I come back and stay at their place until morning when my mom could bring her spare key.

For several months after that, Stevie and his wife Rana, Phobia, and KCWolfman drove me to and from doctor's appointments until I got medical clearance to drive again.

What he said. :)

Man that's a real good story.

Darkwolfe
09-13-2007, 08:57 PM
And then there's Darkwolfe. According to pictures, he doctored me when I decided to start beating myself up at the bash.

Very, very cool people on here.

I wasn't the only one. You had lots of other help including Mrs NZoner, Tiny Evel, Pink, Phobia, Mrs Stevie Ray, and very likely more that I can't recall.

But the statement, "Very, very cool people on here." is dead on right. :)

I'm going to point out one person who went out of her way for me. You know her as Jazzzlovr. Way above and way beyond anything I'd ever expected. I count myself very fortunate to call her my wife.

Halfcan
09-13-2007, 08:59 PM
I wasn't the only one. You had lots of other help including Mrs NZoner, Tiny Evel, Pink, Phobia, Mrs Stevie Ray, and very likely more that I can't recall.

But the statement, "Very, very cool people on here." is dead on right. :)

I'm going to point out one person who went out of her way for me. You know her as Jazzzlovr. Way above and way beyond anything I'd ever expected. I count myself very fortunate to call her my wife.

Group hug time! :grouphug:

Dr. Facebook Fever
09-13-2007, 09:00 PM
Many people here have been really good to me. A few people here are among my closest friends. No one could ever be bigger than JazzzLovr though. She literally saved my life. I can never repay her... but knowing her the way I do, I know that's totally cool.

Oh and Darkwolfe... for sharing his wife with me...

:D

Halfcan
09-13-2007, 09:02 PM
Chiefs planet help me many of times when i feeling down on my luck. And they alway telling me that i'm a ok guy.

I have found that they usually help by telling you to suck it up and quit being a pussy.

Good advice. :)

Jilly
09-13-2007, 09:04 PM
Darkwolfe, did the two of you meet on here???

DaFace
09-13-2007, 09:05 PM
Rain Man gave me a job once. That was pretty cool.

Dr. Facebook Fever
09-13-2007, 09:17 PM
Jilly's one of my buddy's too. Chicks dig me.

What up girl?

Darkwolfe
09-13-2007, 09:18 PM

No, Jazzzlovr and I have been friends since 2001, long before I showed up here. Me being on CP is entirely her fault actually. ;) My entire world imploded in 2003 and she was the one person who wouldn't give up on me. Needless to say the rough times are long over, with a much happier ending than either one of us expected.

Beer Me, you better clarify that just a touch..... :) :Poke:

Buehler445
09-13-2007, 09:18 PM
I'm a n00b, so not a lot of people on here have helped me out, but I will share a story of the last person that did. One of my friends in Emporia helped me move. Not a big deal but it was like 500 miles (If you want to see the trip, click the link below). This kid took off work (cost him money obviously), hauled a car trailer with his pickup (when the relocation company I was with jerked me around:cuss:), Helped me pack my shit, helped me load my shit, drove the UHaul for me so my girlfriend could ride with me, helped me unload my shit, hooked up my portable A/C, hooked up my washer and dryer, helped me unpack some stuff, and gave my girlfriend a ride to Emporia. I bought his food, paid for a tank of gas and gave him $100 because it was all I could swing at the time.

The deal is that I was supposed to have a moving company move all my shit and direct bill the company. Turns out the relocation company (who will be refered to as :cuss: henceforth) ****ed up and didn't even schedule them to survey my stuff, much less pack and move it, until AFTER I was supposed to start at my job. So I decided to get a UHaul and do it my damn self. Without his help, I don't know if I could have done it in the short time that I did. It really meant a lot, I feel like an asshat for not giving him more money.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=en&geocode=&saddr=Emporia+KS&daddr=Sidney+NE&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=34.587666,59.238281&ie=UTF8&ll=39.588757,-97.734375&spn=8.412256,14.80957&z=6&om=1

Jilly
09-13-2007, 09:19 PM
Jilly's one of my buddy's too. Chicks dig me.

What up girl?

Hey sweet heart!!! Not much.... Jilly's sleepy this evening.

Darkwolfe
Jilly, remarkable to see an old Frog here. TCU is out of my original stomping ground. :)

JazzzLovr

He did have the good sense to propose to me at a Chiefs game last year, tho. :D

Dr. Facebook Fever
09-13-2007, 09:20 PM
Hey sweet heart!!! Not much.... Jilly's sleepy this evening.
I'll fill your pm's up and keep you AWAKE!!!!!

Dr. Facebook Fever
09-13-2007, 09:22 PM
Beer Me, you better clarify that just a touch..... :) :Poke:
You're gonna beat my ass this weekend aren't you.

Darkwolfe
09-13-2007, 09:26 PM
You're gonna beat my ass this weekend aren't you.

Oh not too badly...

As challenged party, do you choose claymores or 10lb sledgehammers?

Jilly
09-13-2007, 09:28 PM
Jilly, remarkable to see an old Frog here. TCU is out of my original stomping ground. :)

yay!!! Did you go there??? Or just live in FW?

And that's the sweetest story by the way!!!!

Dr. Facebook Fever
09-13-2007, 09:31 PM
Oh not too badly...

As challenged party, do you choose claymores or 10lb sledgehammers?

I actually prefer being drawn and quartered while having sand rubbed in my eyes.... but that's just how I roll.

Darkwolfe
09-13-2007, 09:32 PM
yay!!! Did you go there??? Or just live in FW?

And that's the sweetest story by the way!!!!

No, I went to TSU way the hay out in Stephenville. My mother was the Frog in the family. Home was in Ellis county back then.

Skip Towne
09-13-2007, 09:36 PM
You saw her sober? Twice?

luv
09-13-2007, 09:45 PM
You saw her sober? Twice?
Yep. Not a drop to drink until about 6:30 Saturday night, and not a drop on Sunday. :D

Darkwolfe
09-13-2007, 09:52 PM
Yep. Not a drop to drink until about 6:30 Saturday night, and not a drop on Sunday. :D

After about midnight Saturday you should have dropped out cold. Derned If I know how you even stayed conscious. Wow.

"I'm Good"... -CRASH!!-

Going to be a bit living that down luv! :D

Phobia
09-13-2007, 09:56 PM

Tiny Evel babysat you and cleaned you up the most, actually. He had much, much, much more patience than the rest of us. One jerk was threatening to knock you out because you wouldn't stay seated.... oh yeah, that was me.

I tried to carry you out to the bonfire at one point and I was assigned to make sure you didn't hurl yourself over the railing during fireworks.

TinyEvel
09-14-2007, 01:21 AM
She wasn't even that drunk. Or, at least not an agro drunk. I've had plenty of experience dealing with WAY worse. Luv just kinda wouldn't stop lollagagging around, repeating that same thing. Kinda like a toddler. Or Warren from Something About Mary
Franks n Beans! Franks n Beans! :p

luv
09-14-2007, 01:29 AM
She wasn't even that drunk. Or, at least not an agro drunk. I've had plenty of experience dealing with WAY worse. Luv just kinda wouldn't stop lollagagging around, repeating that same thing. Kinda like a toddler. Or Warren from Something About Mary
Franks n Beans! Franks n Beans! :p
Great. I knew the fact that I was annoying would come out. Sorry guys. Really. Thanks to everyone for putting up with me.

luv
09-14-2007, 03:28 AM
Tiny Evel babysat you and cleaned you up the most, actually. He had much, much, much more patience than the rest of us. One jerk was threatening to knock you out because you wouldn't stay seated.... oh yeah, that was me.

I tried to carry you out to the bonfire at one point and I was assigned to make sure you didn't hurl yourself over the railing during fireworks.
I think the fact that I wouldn't stay down might have come from the fact that I'm very motivated by having others think I can't do something. I'm sure that's what I had in my head. "They don't think I can keep going, well watch this! I'm good!" I know it was a stupid thing to think, but, hey, I was drunk. I honestly don't think I could have been that drunk either. I think I need to stay away from vodka. I'd learned that lesson before. I guess I was trying to test the waters again and wound up drowning. Anyway, just saying that was probably the reasoning going on in my head.