PDA

View Full Version : Aborted Sanders trade in 06!! Just another instance of bad luck for the Royals!

huskerdooz
09-14-2007, 02:03 AM
This may be old news but I found part of this article on Sanders very interesting. Cabrera would have been a nice acquisition and piece in the future success of the Royals. Just another case of coulda, shoulda, woulda for the Royals.

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/story/274648.html

Royals notebook: Sanders’ career may be at the end
By DAVID BOYCE and BOB DUTTON
The Kansas City Star

Outfielder Reggie Sanders’ long career might have come to an end after two injury-shortened seasons with the Royals. Reggie Sanders’ long and productive career appears to be winding down after two injury-plagued seasons with the Royals.

Sanders, who reached the majors in 1991, signed a two-year, $10 million contract with the Royals in 2006. He was brought in to play outfield and provide leadership to a young club.

But Sanders, 39, played in just 88 games a year ago because of various injuries. This year, he played in only 24 games because of two different tears in his left hamstring. He is currently on the 60-day disabled list and ineligible to return before the season concludes.

Sanders did reach two notable career milestones — 300 homers and 300 stolen bases — while playing for the Royals. He is one of only six players in the 300-300 club.

But Sanders’ career totals of 305 homers and 304 steals might not grow. He said it has to be the right situation for him to play another season.

“It has to be with a winning ballclub,” he said, “and on the West Coast.”

Sanders acknowledges frustration at his inability to stay healthy over the last two seasons. The biggest impact to the Royals was an injury last season that torpedoed a trade to the Yankees, who were then seeking a veteran outfielder.

The Royals were set to receive outfielder Melky Cabrera in return. The deal was all but done until a strained thigh sidelined Sanders just before the trading deadline.

“My time here was not like I expected at all,” Sanders said. “It’s a tough pill to swallow, but one I have to swallow and then move forward in my life.”

Despite limited playing time, Sanders made an impact on the younger players in his own quiet way.

“Reggie is the kind of guy who does it off in the corner and doesn’t make a big deal out of it,” manager Buddy Bell said. “I like that style more than the other. He’s a real pro.”

Sanders likes the future of the Royals.

“They got some good ones,” he said. “For me, a can’t-miss is (Alex) Gordon. I think he has a temperament for this game. He knows how to handle himself through the good and the bad.

“The way he started out was horrible, but the way he handled it showed he was a strong individual.”

:banghead:

Al Bundy
09-14-2007, 07:19 AM
Yeah tough 10 million dollar pill to swallow.

Ari Chi3fs
09-14-2007, 07:50 AM
melky cabrera? Damn. He is solid. ****ing Sanders.

Sure-Oz
09-14-2007, 10:05 AM
Sanders can be added to the Juan Gone list of FA losers, he was a nice clubhouse guy though, too bad he didn't bring in cabrera!