PDA

View Full Version : What would motivate you to move?

luv
09-14-2007, 02:05 AM
If you were halfway young and single with no kids, what would motivate you to move to another city?

KurtCobain
09-14-2007, 02:08 AM
Relocation rocks. And if I were moving closer to the Chiefs, that would be excuse enough.

kcfanXIII
09-14-2007, 02:10 AM
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

luv
09-14-2007, 02:10 AM
I guess I should also ask how you would decide on where.

|Zach|
09-14-2007, 02:11 AM
Change. For change sake.

KurtCobain
09-14-2007, 02:12 AM
I guess I should also ask how you would decide on where.

Anywhere the Chiefs stadium is only a 15 minute drive tops.

JBucc
09-14-2007, 02:12 AM
I'd move if my city was destoryed.

88TG88
09-14-2007, 02:13 AM
Pretty much cash

Crime hasn't got my family to move so it seems only a bigger house would work.

ChiefJustice
09-14-2007, 02:14 AM
I want to move north to escape the heat.

You also have to consider economic advantages,the job
market,social avenues,and real estate values.

Oh,and Zombies...that would be my prime motivation
for moving.You can't rule that out of your equation.

CoMoChief
09-14-2007, 02:15 AM
I would move to southern Cali or Miami, FL

luv
09-14-2007, 02:33 AM
Change. For change sake.
I think that's it for me. Its just time for a change. There's no way I could be ready to move anywhere by the time my lease is up, but I should be able to prepare myself in a year.

blueballs
09-14-2007, 02:33 AM
this thread made something move
and it went north

ClevelandBronco
09-14-2007, 02:34 AM
Seattle or San Diego, possibly. I can't think of any other cities I'd consider.

luv
09-14-2007, 02:37 AM
this thread made something move
and it went north
You'd better clean it up.

ChiefJustice
09-14-2007, 02:41 AM
Are you originally from Springfield,luv?

Wilson
09-14-2007, 02:43 AM
Knowing that a different area had more to offer me more than my current. If you're thinking about change there is prolly a reason for it. Can always come back.

KCChiefsMan
09-14-2007, 02:44 AM
I just moved to OKC from Lawrence, KS because......well I don't have to tell you why

ChiefJustice
09-14-2007, 02:51 AM

I was just asking because a move from Springfield to KC is not that big.

Springfield to NYC is another thing.

luv
09-14-2007, 02:56 AM
Yes. Born and raised here. Trust me. KC may only be 2.5-3 hours away, but it's a different world compared to here.

SPchief
09-14-2007, 03:22 AM
Yes. Born and raised here. Trust me. KC may only be 2.5-3 hours away, but it's a different world compared to here.

Really, it isn't

ChiefJustice
09-14-2007, 03:26 AM
Just be honest with yourself.

What is it that makes you want to move and what will
make you happy somewhere else.

Personally,I love Washington D.C.
I have mulled over many a time relocating there.

Then i ask myself,could i live here?Or is it just a nice place to visit?

luv
09-14-2007, 03:30 AM
Just be honest with yourself.

What is it that makes you want to move and what will
make you happy somewhere else.

Personally,I love Washington D.C.
I have mulled over many a time relocating there.

Then i ask myself,could i live here?Or is it just a nice place to visit?
I have nothing holding me here. The only exception would be that I've been at my job long enough that I'm making decent money, and it's a pretty specific field. Finding a job elsewhere would prove difficult. Other than that, why not try it?

ChiefJustice
09-14-2007, 03:33 AM
Really, it isn't

LC's BBQ!

Westport Flea Market Burgers

Yes,there is a difference..

ChiefJustice
09-14-2007, 03:44 AM
I have nothing holding me here. The only exception would be that I've been at my job long enough that I'm making decent money, and it's a pretty specific field. Finding a job elsewhere would prove difficult. Other than that, why not try it?

Money is a shackle.

If your line of work is that specific,I don't see why that same job
wouldn't produce more options for employment in a larger field of play.

Make "Danger" your middle name.Make discovery a part of your life.

Or stay safe and stagnate in Springfield.

JMHO-

Simplex3
09-14-2007, 07:32 AM
Just be sure that you have a list of reasons to leave that aren't "because *surely* the grass is greener over there".

Really, you just need to come up with a plan, a to-do list, and start executing it.

1. Find a job in XXXXX
2. Find a place to live in XXXXX

Don't worry about your lease in Springfield. Every lease I've ever read has an escape clause if your place of work suddenly comes more than X miles from your last.

Stewie
09-14-2007, 07:45 AM
So luv, are we going to get this thread every six months? Just do it or let it go.

StcChief
09-14-2007, 07:46 AM
Opportunity

phisherman
09-14-2007, 07:49 AM
Really, it isn't

is that a joke?

hmmmm....

Jilly
09-14-2007, 08:03 AM
1. Friends
2. Family
3. Career

If I were single with no kids, i think those three things would help me make a decision. Where would I best advance in my field? Where would I feel the most support?

DenverDanChiefsFan
09-14-2007, 08:11 AM
Find a place you love - just make sure it isn't just a nice vacation spot. My wife and I honeymooned in the SF Bay area and loved it. I took a job out there right after we got back. We hated living there and moved 18 months later. Can't imagine leaving Colorado, but did it once before because my company closed and there were no opportunities in my profession.

BigRedChief
09-14-2007, 08:22 AM
I was born and raised in Springfield, Mo also. When I was 18 on a whim and because someone said there are jobs in New Orleans I moved there. I ended up working offshore in the gulf of Mexico on oil rigs and traveled all over the south and the caribbean.

After about 6-7 years of that I traveled all over the world. I would move and or travel at the suggestion of someone just for the experience. Some didn't work out, Some almost got me killed and some created moments to cherish.

Life ain't no damn dress rehersal, You only get one chance at this. Don't cheat yourself.

seclark
09-14-2007, 08:49 AM
D-block would be a nice place to move to...the cells are a little larger and they let you put posters up on the walls.
sec

Mr. Plow
09-14-2007, 09:36 AM

I'm with ya on that one. Golf all year. Of course, I wouldn't be able to afford to golf.

But, with 4 kids. I'm not moving anytime soon - unless job takes me somewhere else which isn't likely since I own my business.

MahiMike
09-14-2007, 09:39 AM
If you're young and single, you have no business staying in the same town for more than 1 yr at a time. Get out and see the world!

FAX
09-14-2007, 09:41 AM
Indonesian beach hut.

FAX

ChiTown
09-14-2007, 09:47 AM
You mean, like in my early to mid twenties?

It would probably be Money and Sex......not necessarily in that order

wutamess
09-14-2007, 10:05 AM
the wind.

sd4chiefs
09-14-2007, 10:05 AM
My wife got a job offer for big bucks from a company in San Diego 11 years ago. When she asked me if I was willing to leave KC and my stressful going-no-where job and move, I said hell yes. The hardest part was giving up my Chiefs season tickets.

Braincase
09-14-2007, 10:08 AM
Opportunity...
...for career advancement
...for financial security
...for travel opportunities (if you like to travel).
...to make new friends and get reacquainted with old friends that have relocated.
...for a clean slate
...for change just for change's sake.

wilas101
09-14-2007, 10:29 AM
You mean, like in my early to mid twenties?

It would probably be Money and Sex......not necessarily in that order

I have to agree with ChiTown on this.

18-25 my life decisions were based solely on the odds of getting laid.

I'd like to think that if I went back knowing what I know now that it'd be different but who am I kidding? I'd just use that knowledge to increase the odds.

That said I've quickly reviewed the rest of my life and have constructed my first draft of the rest of my life.

26-34 saw all decisions based upon the odds of shutting up my wife.

35- current sees all decisions aimed toward making my wife's friends believe that I'm a "good guy". That will be used for the 40-45 time frame which will consist of having sex with her friends.

46-50 will be convincing my wife that it really was a mid-life crisis that forced me to have sex with all her friends and finding a doctor that will back up the "chemical imbalance" excuse.

51 on I figure I'll just go fishing and reminisce.

DaFace
09-14-2007, 10:43 AM
1. Friends
2. Family
3. Career

If I were single with no kids, i think those three things would help me make a decision. Where would I best advance in my field? Where would I feel the most support?

Yep. With a remote 4 being Chiefs. :D

Even now, my wife and I are remotely considering the possibility of moving back to Kansas at some point in our lives. But right now, the rankings draw us to Denver.

1. Friends - all in Kansas
2. Family - split (mine in Kansas, hers in Denver)
3. Career - currently in Denver
4. Chiefs - in Kansas (sorta)

DenverDanChiefsFan
09-14-2007, 10:48 AM
D-block would be a nice place to move to...the cells are a little larger and they let you put posters up on the walls.
secYou sound like a faider fan:)

wilas101
09-14-2007, 10:48 AM
Let me come back with a bit more serious post here.

If I were single with no significant other to consider I would make experience more my top priority with money being secondary. You don't have to make a fortune to live when you're single. I wouldn't dump a 50k/yr job for a 25k/yr job just because I've never lived there but I would be more open to the idea of making less to live someplace I thought might be nice.

ChiTown
09-14-2007, 10:50 AM
I have to agree with ChiTown on this.

18-25 my life decisions were based solely on the odds of getting laid.

Between 18-25, my dick was my guide. If the light was red, but my dick said go, I went. I was childish, had lots of disposable income after the age of 23, and was living a lifestyle in Lincoln Park (Chicago) that I'm not exceptionally proud of today. It is what it is, it was what it was, and I've come out of it a better man today.

Relative to the question, I say move around. Try new things, challenge what you think you know and have fun. As I can attest to, you are only young once. There are no do-overs with time.

KC-TBB
09-14-2007, 10:54 AM
I moved to Boston about 15 years ago...stayed there for 10 years...LOVED IT! Had to move back to KC for my parents as they are getting very old and needed help. I would not trade the experiences for anything...GO FOR IT!

ChiefsFan4Life
09-14-2007, 12:36 PM
luv, I don't know what you do for your career, but one thing you can do - if you are not sure about moving - is find a job that requires a lot of travel.

My job requires a lot of travel so although I live in crappy STL, I get to visit places all over and stay there for weeks at a time. It's enough to keep things interesting.

Pestilence
09-14-2007, 02:04 PM
Money is my motivator...but you also have to see how much more you'll be paying to live there.

I made the move from Tucson AZ to Northern California because the money was a hell of a lot better. I didn't really figure in that I went from paying $600 a month rent to a $1000 a month.

Skip Towne
09-14-2007, 02:08 PM
Having the cops after me would motivate me to move.

RadrHatr
09-14-2007, 02:11 PM
If you were halfway young and single with no kids, what would motivate you to move to another city?

A semi-safe red light district. My step-sister will be needing a job.

crazycoffey
09-14-2007, 03:15 PM
money and/or a desire for something completely new.

no kids and not married doesn't mean you wouldn't still have to find new friends.....

MTG#10
09-14-2007, 03:37 PM
Mexicans

Fishpicker
09-14-2007, 03:44 PM
I want to move north to escape the heat.

You also have to consider economic advantages,the job
market,social avenues,and real estate values.

Oh,and Zombies...that would be my prime motivation
for moving.You can't rule that out of your equation.

if you move far enough to the North, the Zombies are a non-factor

Spott
09-14-2007, 03:47 PM

Why, do you speak Spanish?

Planetman
09-14-2007, 03:51 PM
What would motivate me to move?

Perhaps if a made a rap song about my employer and my co-workers that was less that flattering and the media got ahold of it ...

Spott
09-14-2007, 03:53 PM
In your situation, I would move for a good job and maybe some decent weather.

MOhillbilly
09-14-2007, 03:54 PM
sick of where youre at. after livivng in the same house since 79' im tired of being there.
notso much tired of the farm, just tired of reliving the same memories.

Iowanian
09-14-2007, 04:42 PM
I moved for family betterment.

If you're single....you can move for a change of scenery...money, adventure, get out of a life rut.