PDA

View Full Version : Moore Mum on Manager

Cochise
09-14-2007, 11:09 AM
Moore still mum on managerial search, but rumors swirl
The Kansas City Star

The hunt for the next Royals manager continues as the calendar marches toward seasonís end and toward Buddy Bellís transition from field boss to front-office adviser.

General manager Dayton Moore, as promised, is offering few updates on his search. Although he does reveal, tantalizingly, that a replacement could be announced sooner rather than later.

"Iíd like to have someone in place by the winter meetings (in early December) for sure," Moore said. "I think that can be accomplished rather easily. Weíre not going to be in a hurry to make a decision - but if we get the right guy, it could happen very quickly, too."

The season ends two weeks from Sunday. Thereafter, any candidates currently working for nonpostseason participants should be available for interviews.

"It should be obvious that finding a manager is our top priority going into the offseason," Moore said. "But right now, weíre just evaluating. Thereís really not much to say about it at this point."

This much is clear: There isnít much that Moore is willing to say about it. He declines to specify what qualifications he is seeking in a new manager and parries all questions regarding possible candidates.

Friends and former associates, however, suggest a likely profile:

An old-school baseball man with a proven ability to motivate young players. Previous managerial experience, particularly at the big-league level, is a strong preference but not an absolute requirement.

Sources invariably point to Atlanta as Mooreís likely hunting ground.

Thatís not surprising. Moore spent 12-plus years in the Bravesí front office before becoming the Royalsí general manager in June 2006 and has already raided his former club for several prominent hires.

"What Dayton wants," one former colleague said, "is Bobby Cox. But since Bobby probably isnít going to leave Atlanta, what Dayton will look for is someone like Bobby Cox. Or the next Bobby Cox."

Coxís coaching staff offers at least two possibilities.

Hitting coach Terry Pendleton, 47, was cited as a likely candidate almost as soon as Bell announced Aug. 1 that he wouldnít return as manager in 2008. Pendleton was an acknowledged leader in his 15-year playing career, which concluded in 1998 with the Royals, but has never served as a manager.

Sources suggest Braves third-base coach Brian Snitker, 51, might be a stronger possibility. Snitker has shuttled between the Bravesí big-league staff and minor-league managerial assignments since 1982.

"There would be a definite comfort level between (Moore and Snitker)," one source said. "The only drawback is (Snitker) hasnít managed in the big leagues."

If previous major-league managerial experience is a priority, sources point to two possibilities with Atlanta connections: Jim Fregosi, who currently serves as a special assistant to Braves GM John Schuerholz; and Jimy Williams, who is the Philliesí bench coach.

Friends say Fregosi, 65, has a strong desire to return to field managing after seven years in the Bravesí front office. He spent 15 seasons as a manager with the Angels, White Sox, Phillies and Blue Jays.

"Jimmy (Fregosi) had a strong personality," a source said, "but I donít think that would bother Dayton. They know each other well, and thereís a mutual respect. You give Jimmy a team thatís ready to win, and heíll take it from there."

Jenson71
09-14-2007, 11:11 AM
Sports Illustrated mag. mentioned Buck Martinez.

I'd be more in favor with a Braves third base coach or hitting coach with no manager experience then a former manager who didn't do that great.

Ebolapox
09-14-2007, 11:14 AM
two issues... 'a team ready to win'-- win what, the lottery? the second pick in the draft? certainly not the world series.

second: I'd forgotten that pendleton ended his career in kc

Fish
09-14-2007, 11:14 AM
I think Bobby Cox would be great, but like the article said, why would he leave Atlanta? It would be a huge confidence booster if he did though...

VonneMarie
09-14-2007, 11:15 AM
I got 5 dollars on Pendleton.

Ebolapox
09-14-2007, 11:15 AM
no way we land cox.

Cochise
09-14-2007, 11:17 AM
I got 5 dollars on Pendleton.

Yeah, that's where my money is too.

Ebolapox
I think there's a chance we get joe girardi.

Deberg_1990
Cox would be great, but highly unlikely. Plus, how old is he now? 98??

Fish
09-14-2007, 11:19 AM
I've heard Terry Pendleton's name mentioned in several different reports. I'm hesitant to bring in a guy with no managing experience.... but he does have a Moore connection.

Jenson71
09-14-2007, 11:20 AM
I think there's a chance we get joe girardi.

How is the situation with him and Yankees? I'd be shocked if he took a Royals job, if a Yankees job is just around the corner.

Cochise
09-14-2007, 11:26 AM
I've heard Terry Pendleton's name mentioned in several different reports. I'm hesitant to bring in a guy with no managing experience.... but he does have a Moore connection.

I think he's as deserving as any other candidate, and Moore has enough equity here for us to trust his judgement.

It's an odd feeling for a fan to be able to trust that a GM knows what they are doing, if you are a Kansas Citian, but a welcome one.

Ebolapox
09-14-2007, 11:26 AM
How is the situation with him and Yankees? I'd be shocked if he took a Royals job, if a Yankees job is just around the corner.

he hinted heavily towards the royals being one of the jobs he'd accept in a press conference last year.

Mr. Laz
09-14-2007, 11:30 AM
does it bother anyone that there seems to be such a link to Atlanta?

i think i'm just paranoid about the cronyism with the Chiefs. :(

Predarat
09-14-2007, 11:30 AM
That would be great if they landed Joe Girardi! But that article may be right, it could come from someone with Atlanta connections.

Jenson71
09-14-2007, 11:31 AM
I think he's as deserving as any other candidate, and Moore has enough equity here for us to trust his judgement.

It's an odd feeling for a fan to be able to trust that a GM knows what they are doing, if you are a Kansas Citian, but a welcome one.

I agree. Very refreshing to feel in "safe hands."

H5N1, that's pretty cool to hear. I'd like to see that develop.

Deberg_1990
09-14-2007, 11:32 AM

Why would it? Your talking about one of the more successful franchises in MLB over the past 17 years or so. While the Royals have been one of the worst. Why wouldnt you want to emulate that??

Sure-Oz
09-14-2007, 11:33 AM
Herm Edwards for sure, he can draft

Ari Chi3fs
09-14-2007, 11:33 AM
Frank White took these kids to the AA playoffs and nearly won it.

Id personally like to see Frank.

Mr. Laz
09-14-2007, 11:35 AM
Why would it? Your talking about one of the more successful franchises in MLB over the past 17 years or so. While the Royals have been one of the worst. Why wouldnt you want to emulate that??
i like how you cut out the 2nd part of my post where i actually explain some the reasoning behind it.

Jenson71
09-14-2007, 11:36 AM

We definitely got to go outside of the organization. White was a first base coach for years too wasn't he?

Fish
09-14-2007, 11:39 AM

Totally odd feeling... probably first time ever with Chiefs or Royals... almost don't know how to handle it...

Deberg_1990
09-14-2007, 11:39 AM
i like how you cut out the 2nd part of my post where i actually explain some the reasoning behind it.

OK fine....

At least Daytons friend have a record of success......Carls on the the hand.....

Most GM's hire friends or people they have had past relationships with.

Sam Hall
09-14-2007, 12:00 PM
I'd like Pendleton because the players need someone who can teach them how to hit.

tk13
09-14-2007, 12:54 PM
I'm on the Pendleton bandwagon. I actually like Buck Martinez, even though nobody else seems to. I wouldn't be surprised if Dayton got somebody out of left field from the Braves organization though.

I honestly don't care if he copies the Braves note-for-note... that's the most successful franchise in professional sports. I'm sure the Braves didn't mind copying the Royals under Schuerholz. It's a little different when you pick up your buddy Bill Kuharich after he gets fired for trading his whole draft for Ricky Williams, compared to raiding your former organization for successful people.

DeezNutz
09-14-2007, 01:00 PM
Does anyone remember why the A's canned Macha? His winning percentage looks damn good, especially compared to Bell's impressive resume. But I'll admit that I don't know much about the guy. Any A's fans out there?

Coach
09-15-2007, 12:17 PM
Does anyone remember why the A's canned Macha? His winning percentage looks damn good, especially compared to Bell's impressive resume. But I'll admit that I don't know much about the guy. Any A's fans out there?

IIRC, Macha's relationship with the players weren't very good, along with the General Manager.

And at one point, where he would had liked to go to Pittsburgh, the Pirates didn't want no part of him.

Reaper16
09-15-2007, 12:32 PM
Alex Gordon and Billy Butler took these kids to the AA playoffs and nearly won it.

fyp

Jayhawkerman2001
09-15-2007, 12:52 PM

i had heard that he wouldnt really want to land on a team like the yanks, because he wants to actually help develop the young guys into his own type of mold.

at least i thought i had heard that

Cochise
09-15-2007, 01:21 PM

i think i'm just paranoid about the cronyism with the Chiefs. :(

The Bravesification of the Royals continues :p

banyon
09-15-2007, 01:36 PM
I got faith.

TurdFerguson
09-15-2007, 03:19 PM

If we're going to be realistic, Frank White is the guy for the job. He knows the scouting system, he knows the Royals organization very well, and is a great face for Kansas City. Personally, he's one of the nicest former Royals players I've ever met. He's a class act and I think this will be his shot unless he'd rather not have that role.

beavis
09-15-2007, 03:22 PM
If we're going to be realistic, Frank White is the guy for the job. He knows the scouting system, he knows the Royals organization very well, and is a great face for Kansas City. Personally, he's one of the nicest former Royals players I've ever met. He's a class act and I think this will be his shot unless he'd rather not have that role.
I think a lot of us feel that way, and obviously, we are all totally biased.

I wouldn't be opposed to Pendelton. I really don't want to see a Fregosi or Williams type though. To me, they are the equivilant of Buddy Bell.

Deberg_1990
09-15-2007, 03:27 PM
Its going to be Tony Muser or Bob Boone. You heard it here first!

gblowfish
09-15-2007, 03:28 PM
I'll be happy with any of these:

Frank White
Joe Girardi
Ken Macha
Hal McRae

Worst Possible Choices:
Jim Fregosi
Bob Boone
Tony Muser
Tony Pena

Deberg_1990
09-15-2007, 03:29 PM
Love to see McRae be given another shot.....I wonder if he would come back if offered?

TurdFerguson
09-15-2007, 03:29 PM
[QUOTE=beavis]I think a lot of us feel that way, and obviously, we are all totally biased.

Very true and I wouldn't mind Pendleton either. For the Bobby Cox hopefulls, I think we have a better chance at talking Hal McCrae in coming back to manager for us before we get a Bobby Cox here... you know, unless Dayton knows how to lubricate properly.