PDA

View Full Version : Baber Agrees To Terms; Another Dv Convo

The Bad Guy
05-24-2001, 07:02 PM
The Chiefs signed Billy Baber to a three year deal today.

Here is another conversation with DV from KCChiefs.com

Q: Your overall view of what you've accomplished so far following this third "on-the-field activity" ?
VERMEIL: "We got a lot done. We're ahead of schedule as far as I'm concerned. I'm very pleased. We have a mini-camp coming up in a couple of weeks (June 10th) and we have a couple of extended OTA's (on-the-field activities) to go on after the mini- camp. I dropped those. We'll go for a short mini-camp and then come back for four more days the next week of OTA's and then we'll be finished up for vacation."

Q: Are you impressed with the great participation you're getting from your players ?

VERMEIL: "Can't ask for any better. The only thing we could ask for is (DT) Dan Williams' wife to get healthy and have a safe birth and for Dan's foot to keep healing. He's the only one not here."

Q: Do you have a lot of work to get done before you get to training camp at River Falls ?

VERMEIL: "We have a lot of detail work other than football, at least I do. We need to finalize the preparation for practices, time schedules, all that kind of stuff."

Q: Are details part of having a new staff ?

VERMEIL: "It's just putting everybody on the same page. Just so everybody knows right now what they're going to be doing on July 27th at 4 o'clock and what they're doing on July 29th at 3 o'clock, so they can take that time and organize themselves within the framework of the organization."

Logical
05-24-2001, 08:35 PM
Nothing Personal Frank,

But this really is frustrating the two picks I liked the least are the first two signed, figures. I still dislike both of these picks but hopefully this means we got them for league minimum for rookies. :mad:

Otter
05-24-2001, 09:04 PM
Don't you just love the DV's answers actually ANSWER the question!?!?

otter
~still cleaning out the skelton closet from the stooge regime

Logical
05-24-2001, 09:09 PM
Otter,

Yes I do, thanks for reminding me of that fact.

keg in kc
05-25-2001, 02:02 AM
I still dislike both of these picks but hopefully this means we got them for league minimum for rookies

Eric Downing

Salary History

2003 389000
2002 298000
2001 209000

That's from NFLPA.org, by the way, Jim, and although you don't get bonus information, I thought you'd like to see that your wish was indeed granted, at least for Downing. ;)

DeepSouth
05-25-2001, 06:27 AM
I'm just glad they're being signed. It'll be a nice change to have all the draft picks in Wisconsin from the beginning. No distractions. No Carl bashing for not getting the picks signed. Won't have to wait until the end of training camp to cut D.Williams like they did Andre Rison last year.

ChiTown
05-25-2001, 07:33 AM
We're just lucky that Carl is signing 3rd and 5th rounders right now, and not trying to sign the #12 pick in the draft.

The Bad Guy
05-25-2001, 08:02 AM
Kyle,

I read somewhere that Downings signing bonus was $483,000.

So basically add $161,000 to every year of base salary to get his cap figure.

Phobia
05-25-2001, 08:05 AM
I don't think so. Clouds bonus as a 2nd round pick wasn't more than $300k so I'm thinking Downing was somewhere between $100-150.

keg in kc
05-25-2001, 08:07 AM
Yeah, Frank, RealTeam has a Rookie Signings Tracker (http://www.realteam.com/rookies/rookie_signings_home.shtml), and on it they have him listed as getting a 493K bonus (where they get this number I have no idea - I know they didn't get it from the Chiefs...) which gives him an overall cap number of 477,333 this season.

keg in kc
05-25-2001, 08:10 AM
Kphobia, according to the link I gave in my last post, all the fourth round picks who've been signed around the league at this point are getting upwards of 300K as a signing bonus, so it would seem that Downing's number is probably accurate (assuming the rest are...).

Downing, by the way, according to RealTeam's listing, is the only player drafted in the first three rounds who has been signed thus far, except for the #1 pick, Vick, and his contract was probably set prior to the draft.

Phobia
05-25-2001, 09:31 AM
Hey, it's not the first time I've been wrong. I just can't believe anybody below the second round can get half a million dollars in their first season. Half of the picks under the 2nd round won't even be in the NFL in two years.

I get frustrated every time I discuss NFL salaries. These guys should be PAYING for the opportunity to play instead of making millions of dollars. I know I'd pay $20,000 to play in the NFL for a season and be happy doing it. I realize that's a pretty radical viewpoint but it's just the way I feel.