PDA

View Full Version : Interesting excerpts from Herm's book

Douche Baggins
09-14-2007, 06:47 PM
"What you do is hire people that you trust. People that when you ask them to do something, they'll do it. I've seen situations where all of a sudden a guy becomes a coordinator, and when the head coach tries to implement something, the coordinator's arguing, "No, but..." He's arguing with the head coach, and I'm saying, "Hey, that's the head coach. If he says we're running that play, you need to run that play. There's no discussion."

Is it just me, or does this quote strike anyone else as saying "Herm wants 'yes' men?"

This is also interesting:
The media got on Paul Hackett, our offensive coordinator, a little in the beginning of the 2002 seasons because the offense wasn't as productive as we would have liked. Half of it was because of me. I was telling Paul that we didn't need to pass the ball right now because we weren't good enough on defense to stop the run. I believed that we had no chance to win the game because we'd be on the field so long that the offense would never get the ball back. I told him that we had to control the clock, which means running the ball. Later, when our defense got better, we opened it up a little, and we ended up winning 10 games. So I guess we were doing something right. I delegated, but I oversaw, too.

And finally, this, perhaps in relation to starting Brodie eventually:

With the Jets in 2002, one of our bigger inconveniences or wakeup calls was when I decided to make a change at quarterback. I made sure they knew that this was not an act of desperation, that I wasn't suddenly panicking, because I had told them I wouldn't ever do that. I simply said I thought it was time to see what Chad could do. And I told them that it wasn't a change for just one game, that this was his team now, and his job was to win games. It was amazing to watch the effort level rise almost immediately. They knew I wasn't playing, and they also knew that they needed to give Chad their best effort so that he - and the team - could succeed. It gave my players the jolt they needed, and we found ourselves a pretty good quarterback in the process.

dj56dt58
09-14-2007, 06:51 PM
wow..i can view this one.

Tribal Warfare
09-14-2007, 06:52 PM
But but King Carl wants to WIN NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mecca
09-14-2007, 06:55 PM
I like how he admits that anytime he said he wouldn't change the offense or put his hands in it he was flatly lying.

He knows nothing about offense but god damn it because he's the head coach you do what he says.

Coach
09-14-2007, 06:59 PM
I think my avatar pretty much describes Herman F**king Edwards.

keg in kc
09-14-2007, 07:05 PM
wow..i can view this one.Yeah.

Apparently another one of the hamsters died and the server's floundering again.

Mecca
09-14-2007, 07:06 PM
Herm Edwards and Damon Huard are ****ing with the server.

KCJohnny
09-14-2007, 07:16 PM
Is it just me, or does this quote strike anyone else as saying "Herm wants 'yes' men?"

This is also interesting:

And finally, this, perhaps in relation to starting Brodie eventually:

[/b]

Uh, I think its called leadership.

KC Tattoo
09-14-2007, 07:18 PM
What if Croyle gets in a game and the OC calls a run on second and 4, Croyle says to the guys in the huddle "It's play action we are going to the house with this one, Bowe be ready" and he throws a bomb for a TD. Think he would get a talkin to from coach HE? "Don't do that again, we are suppose to run the ball to give the D a break you will be benched for that if you do that again."

Do ya think that could happen? Huard wouldn't dare to do something like that but I think Croyle would get away with it, once.

Skip Towne
09-14-2007, 07:24 PM
What if Croyle gets in a game and the OC calls a run on second and 4, Croyle says to the guys in the huddle "It's play action we are going to the house with this one, Bowe be ready" and he throws a bomb for a TD. Think he would get a talkin to from coach HE? "Don't do that again, we are suppose to run the ball to give the D a break you will be benched for that if you do that again."

Do ya think that could happen? Huard wouldn't dare to do something like that but I think Croyle would get away with it, once.
Points piss Herm off.

KCJohnny
09-14-2007, 07:25 PM

One play does not negate the insubordination of a player. Most systems have a "check with me" audible option. If the coach allows that, that's just smart football (see: Peyton Manning). If the coach does not allow the QB to audible when the HC (not the OC) sends in a play, then as leader of the team, you must assert your authority and instill discipline. Leading men is a man's business.

kstater
09-14-2007, 07:27 PM

Huard might do that, but he would dump off to LJ if Bowe wasn't open by 20 yards.

keg in kc
09-14-2007, 07:28 PM
That was actually one of the downsides with Saunders' system. as it turns out. Audibles were apparently all but nixed.

I don't have any idea how the coaching staff handles that now.

cdcox
09-14-2007, 07:51 PM
Is the title of his book: "Good things that happened to the Jets before I ruined them?"

The Bad Guy
09-14-2007, 07:58 PM
I just want him gone.

Herm is the bitch principal who wants to dictate everything a teacher should do in their classroom. The offensive coordinator runs the game. Let him earn his paycheck you moron.

****ing loser he is. He's so ****ing fixated on the defense that he really thinks teams that throw the ball successfully screw the defense. It's so mind-numbing it's ridiculous.

This team has zero shot at anything with this moron. We gave up a 4th rounder for him too. Jets fans should still be doing handsprings that he's gone.

Why can't we ever find a balanced coach?

The Bad Guy
09-14-2007, 07:59 PM
That was actually one of the downsides with Saunders' system. as it turns out. Audibles were apparently all but nixed.

I don't have any idea how the coaching staff handles that now.

I'm sure Damon has to radio Herm before he whips his ass because he's such a tough dictator.

Mile High Mania
09-14-2007, 08:01 PM
Cowher has said he won't coach in 2008... but, if I were you guys, I'd start up the grass roots efforts to change his mind.

The Bad Guy
09-14-2007, 08:03 PM
Cowher has said he won't coach in 2008... but, if I were you guys, I'd start up the grass roots efforts to change his mind.

I'd love to.

But I think we are stuck with this loser.

Bill Parcells
09-14-2007, 08:06 PM
With the Jets in 2002, one of our bigger inconveniences or wakeup calls was when I decided to make a change at quarterback. I made sure they knew that this was not an act of desperation, that I wasn't suddenly panicking, because I had told them I wouldn't ever do that. I simply said I thought it was time to see what Chad could do.

Absolute nonsense

He didn't make that decision, he was the last one that wanted to do it.

He was put under extreme pressure to make a QB change that year, and now ''it was his idea''?

Good god, if he had a half a brain he would stay away from all microphones and cameras so at least he could be perceived as not being a complete moron.

the Talking Can
09-14-2007, 08:07 PM
those quotes make me sick...we have a true to life loser coaching our team....he actually believes the offenses job is to make the defense look good...

**** you, Herm

TN_Chief
09-14-2007, 08:14 PM
Cowher has said he won't coach in 2008... but, if I were you guys, I'd start up the grass roots efforts to change his mind.I'd love to have Cowher...but you've got to ask yourself why you think he'd come to KC? There are going to be a bunch of teams after him, what makes the Chiefs more attractive than the others?

Nothing.

The GM is a disaster. The team doesn't spend freely. There is no QB (Huard? Please. Croyle? Totally unproven). Receivers, including TE, are a giant question mark (88 can't play forever). The OL sucks. Our defensive front 7 is questionable, and the secondary is made up of two young'uns and two guys at the end of their careers. Our PK situation is a disaster. We're located in flyover country. On the plus side we've got a damn fine running back and a good punter, and we fill up Arrowhead for home games.

Does that sound like a situation that Bill Cowher is going to fall all over himself to get into? I didn't think so.

Skip Towne
09-14-2007, 08:16 PM
I just want him gone.

Herm is the bitch principal who wants to dictate everything a teacher should do in their classroom. The offensive coordinator runs the game. Let him earn his paycheck you moron.

****ing loser he is. He's so ****ing fixated on the defense that he really thinks teams that throw the ball successfully screw the defense. It's so mind-numbing it's ridiculous.

This team has zero shot at anything with this moron. We gave up a 4th rounder for him too. Jets fans should still be doing handsprings that he's gone.

Herm was Peter Principled into a HC job. He has now reached his level of incompetence.

Douche Baggins
09-14-2007, 08:22 PM
Herm was Peter Principled into a HC job. He has now reached his level of incompetence.

Skip, you keep saying this, but never explain it. What is the Peter Principle?

TN_Chief
09-14-2007, 08:25 PM
Skip, you keep saying this, but never explain it. What is the Peter Principle?Basically what it means is that an individual in any organization will be given increasing responsibility until he/she reaches a point where it's too much and they start screwing things up. In other words, Herm might be a successful coordinator or position coach, but being a head coach puts him in over his head.

KcMizzou
09-14-2007, 08:27 PM
Basically what it means is that an individual in any organization will be given increasing responsibility until he/she reaches a point where it's too much and they start screwing things up. In other words, Herm might be a successful coordinator or position coach, but being a head coach puts him in over his head.Exactly. From Wiki...

The Peter Principle is a colloquial principle of hierarchiology, stated as "In a hierarchy every employee tends to rise to his level of incompetence." Formulated by Dr. Laurence J. Peter in his 1968 book The Peter Principle, the principle pertains to the level of competence of the human resources in a hierarchical organization. The principle explains the upward, downward, and lateral movement of personnel within a hierarchically organized system of ranks.

KCJohnny
09-14-2007, 09:32 PM
I just want him gone.

LOL! ROFL

This is almost word for word what some of us were saying after the 14-18 start of the Vermiel era!

At least we can say "defense wins championships" and hope for a mauling, relentless, evil defense (which i think is attainable when Jared Allen returns)...

This offense is wasting its talent (so far) but its waaaaay too early to judge.

Extra Point
09-14-2007, 09:49 PM
Herm-etically sealed coffin for us, the next two years. Then we get Cowher as HC and GM. Cowher would love the challenge, and that would bring the fans back into it.

Okay, I'll wake up now.

the Talking Can
09-14-2007, 09:52 PM

Gunther as head coach was the very definition of the Peter Principle.

Solid as a DC, total ****ing clown as a HC.

KC Jones
09-14-2007, 09:55 PM
I'd love to have Cowher...but you've got to ask yourself why you think he'd come to KC? There are going to be a bunch of teams after him, what makes the Chiefs more attractive than the others?

Nothing.

The GM is a disaster. The team doesn't spend freely. There is no QB (Huard? Please. Croyle? Totally unproven). Receivers, including TE, are a giant question mark (88 can't play forever). The OL sucks. Our defensive front 7 is questionable, and the secondary is made up of two young'uns and two guys at the end of their careers. Our PK situation is a disaster. We're located in flyover country. On the plus side we've got a damn fine running back and a good punter, and we fill up Arrowhead for home games.

Does that sound like a situation that Bill Cowher is going to fall all over himself to get into? I didn't think so.

So... you're saying it might be another 40 years before we sniff a SB?

:banghead:

KcMizzou
09-14-2007, 09:56 PM

:banghead:From what he's posted tonight, he's probably thinking more like 60.

Skip Towne
09-14-2007, 09:59 PM
Google it. Better yet, read the book. It is authored by Dr. Laurence J. Peter. The Peter Principle states that, during your career, you will be promoted as you master your current job duties. And you will continue to be promoted until you reach a job you cannot handle and there you will stay in a level of incompetence. It happens every day in all industries.

KC Tattoo
09-14-2007, 10:04 PM
Gunther as head coach was the very definition of the Peter Principle.

Solid as a DC, total ****ing clown as a HC.

I get it, Bush was a good Gov. of Texas, but Prez... :doh!:

Douche Baggins
09-14-2007, 10:19 PM
Google it. Better yet, read the book. It is authored by Dr. Laurence J. Peter. The Peter Principle states that, during your career, you will be promoted as you master your current job duties. And you will continue to be promoted until you reach a job you cannot handle and there you will stay in a level of incompetence. It happens every day in all industries.

Why do you think Herm skipped the coordinator level?

jAZ
09-14-2007, 10:24 PM
"What you do is hire people that you trust. People that when you ask them to do something, they'll do it. I've seen situations where all of a sudden a guy becomes a coordinator, and when the head coach tries to implement something, the coordinator's arguing, "No, but..." He's arguing with the head coach, and I'm saying, "Hey, that's the head coach. If he says we're running that play, you need to run that play. There's no discussion."
Huh, I wonder which OC he's talking about here, that got fed up and started calling plays designed to score touchdowns?

the Talking Can
09-14-2007, 10:26 PM
the fact that Herm would even hire Hackett tells you everything you need to know....

Skip Towne
09-14-2007, 10:29 PM
Also, GoChiefs, I refer to Croyle as being a victim of "Catch 22". Are you also unaware of that great work by Joseph Heller? Catch 22 was a spoof of the military during WWII. Particularly the Air Corp. It was a B-25 squadron, I believe, whereby a pilot could be relieved of flying dangerous missions if he was crazy. But to be deemed crazy you had to want to fly the missions. If you didn't want to fly the missions you weren't crazy and had to fly them. Classic circular logic. In the end, a pilot could be grounded until he got more flying hours. Which is exactly where Croyle has found himself. I see you are recently interested in reading books. I would highly recommend "The Peter Principle" and "Catch 22". They should be available at your local library. They are both classics.

Smed1065
09-14-2007, 10:30 PM
The thing that worries me is the first two statements!

HE believed one thing, changed his beliefs because of one game and the results of that game.

This shows me that he appreciates status quo instead of what needs to be done according to his gut.

Either you trust your gut feelings or work for a "big time" position and scared to trust your gut.

I support HE but if he is going by what happened once and be scared instead of his gut feelings, he is in the wrong field and life.

Welcome to corporate America.

Get a check and exist in life instead of living or experiencing life.

ChiefaRoo
09-14-2007, 10:35 PM
Also, GoChiefs, I refer to Croyle as being a victim of "Catch 22". Are you also unaware of that great work by Joseph Heller? Catch 22 was a spoof of the military during WWII. Particularly the Air Corp. It was a B-25 squadron, I believe, whereby a pilot could be relieved of flying dangerous missions if he was crazy. But to be deemed crazy you had to want to fly the missions. If you didn't want to fly the missions you weren't crazy and had to fly them. Classic circular logic. In the end, a pilot could be grounded until he got more flying hours. Which is exactly where Croyle has found himself. I see you are recently interested in reading books. I would highly recommend "The Peter Principle" and "Catch 22". They should be available at your local library. They are both classics.

Skip, tell them the origin of expression "The whole nine yards"

Smed1065
09-14-2007, 10:39 PM

Tee it up.

Deberg_1990
09-14-2007, 10:40 PM

Probably due to the Bradway/Chiefs connection.

If i remember right, before Herm was hired by the Jets, wasnt there another guy who dropped out of the job? This was right after Parcells left.

Douche Baggins
09-14-2007, 10:42 PM
Probably due to the Bradway/Chiefs connection.

If i remember right, before Herm was hired by the Jets, wasnt there another guy who dropped out of the job? This was right after Parcells left.

I guess I just don't get it...I know Herm was offered coordinator jobs (as he told me this summer), but he still lacks the experience of HAVING one of those jobs...unless his job in Tampa Bay involved similar-type duties.

Skip Towne
09-14-2007, 10:45 PM
I really don't know. That's why I have been asking who promoted him to HC from a position coach and why did they do it. He is a good talent evaluator apparently so he has a place in the NFL. He just isn't HC material. I withheld my opinion to give him a chance back when you made an immediate judgement and called him Germ. Well, I gave him a year and a half and I hate him as a HC. We can't get rid of him fast enough.

the Talking Can
09-14-2007, 10:50 PM
Herm is a confident guy. He sold himself.

Douche Baggins
09-14-2007, 10:50 PM
I really don't know. That's why I have been asking who promoted him to HC from a position coach and why did they do it.

He was not a position coach. He was the assistant head coach in Tampa Bay. What that entailed is anyone's guess.

Bill Parcells
09-14-2007, 10:53 PM
He was not a position coach. He was the assistant head coach in Tampa Bay. What that entailed is anyone's guess.
Which means nothing. it was just a figure head position.

Monte Kiffin was behind that defense, not Herm or Dungy. as you saw, after both of them left they won the super bowl.

They missed Herm dearly.

FAX
09-14-2007, 10:57 PM
From what he's posted tonight, he's probably thinking more like 60.

According to my latest Tarot Card reading, we shall experience a playoff drought of 40 years followed by floods, earthquakes, itch, and finally, death. LJ will introduce a loose-fitting clothing line just as droopy pants go out of style, TG's face will fall completely off, and Trent Green will lead Miami to the SuperBowl in his final year with the Dolphins.

I turned three "Okay" cards in a row.

FAX

Dylan
09-14-2007, 10:59 PM
Does Edwards have another book coming out? Interesting...

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showpost.php?p=4165970&postcount=172

Smed1065
09-14-2007, 11:00 PM

Press relief?

Douche Baggins
09-14-2007, 11:00 PM
Does Edwards have another book coming out? Interesting...

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showpost.php?p=4165970&postcount=172

No. These are all from You Play To Win The Game. It arrived in my mail the other day.

Skip Towne
09-14-2007, 11:01 PM
Well, the expression "getting down to brass tacks" originated in the 1880's when shopkeepers used appropriately spaced brass tacks on the sales counter to measure the amount of fabric being sold. Does that answer your question, dipshit?

ChiefaRoo
09-14-2007, 11:05 PM
Well, the expression "getting down to brass tacks" originated in the 1880's when shopkeepers used appropriately spaced brass tacks on the sales counter to measure the amount of fabric being sold. Does that answer your question, dipshit?

No it doesn't

FAX
I think it's the length of logging chain that, when wrapped around the body, is required to sink a guy into the Neosho.

FAX

Smed1065
No. These are all from You Play To Win The Game. It arrived in my mail the other day.

How much did it cost?

$2 dollars?

Hum.

ChiefaRoo
09-14-2007, 11:09 PM

Since Skip can't answer it I will. The expression comes from WW2 era Air Force machine gunners. Each belt of ammo of .50 caliber bullets was nine yards in length. When a German fighter came in for an attack if the gunner got off all of the rounds in the belt it was giving them the whole nine yards. That expression has become a way of saying that one is giving it their all or their best effort.

Douche Baggins
09-14-2007, 11:09 PM
How much did it cost?

$2 dollars?

Hum.

Yeah. I mean...it was two bucks. ROFL

Skip Towne
09-14-2007, 11:19 PM
Since Skip can't answer it I will. The expression comes from WW2 era Air Force machine gunners. Each belt of ammo of .50 caliber bullets was nine yards in length. When a German fighter came in for an attack if the gunner got off all of the rounds in the belt it was giving them the whole nine yards. That expression has become a way of saying that one is giving it their all or their best effort.
Damn, you're stupid. In the late 1800's, the shopkeeper kept bolts of material that measured 9 yards. If you wanted less than a bolt, you "got down to the brass tacks" on the counter to measure the amount you want. If you want the entire bolt you got "the whole nine yards. It would be greatly appreciated if you knew what you are talking about before displaying your ignorance.

Bill Parcells
09-14-2007, 11:23 PM
ROFL

My pal Sperm Edwards did that photoshop for your avatar.

Random pic time for some of Sperm's past master pieces.

Douche Baggins
09-14-2007, 11:24 PM
Bill, you will like this:

http://img158.imageshack.us/img158/7273/carlandhermdumbanddumbein0.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Bill Parcells
09-14-2007, 11:25 PM
Herm the rat

Bill Parcells
09-14-2007, 11:25 PM
Bill, you will like this:

http://img158.imageshack.us/img158/7273/carlandhermdumbanddumbein0.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
That's great!

LMAO

Bill Parcells
09-14-2007, 11:26 PM
MT. Turdmore

Smed1065
09-14-2007, 11:28 PM
MT. Turdmore

Like both of us has no worries this year?

ChiefaRoo
09-14-2007, 11:29 PM
Damn, you're stupid. In the late 1800's, the shopkeeper kept bolts of material that measured 9 yards. If you wanted less than a bolt, you "got down to the brass tacks" on the counter to measure the amount you want. If you want the entire bolt you got "the whole nine yards. It would be greatly appreciated if you knew what you are talking about before displaying your ignorance.

Your explanation didn't even make the list you silly okie. By the way nice game by Okie State tonight. Hope you don't get so upset that you go and rip someones balls off in a bar this weekend.

http://www.worldwidewords.org/articles/nineyards.htm

Bill Parcells
09-14-2007, 11:30 PM
Like both of us has no worries this year?
I'm not worried yet.

If we're 0-2, then I'm starting to get worried.

All kidding aside, the Patriots look like a juggernaut this year.

Douche Baggins
09-14-2007, 11:32 PM
I'm not worried yet.

ONLY HERM CAN SAVE YOU FROM 0-2!!!

Bill Parcells
09-14-2007, 11:39 PM
ONLY HERM CAN SAVE YOU FROM 0-2!!!
No Thanks!

:shake:

Smed1065
09-14-2007, 11:39 PM
I'm not worried yet.

I resemble that remark! But I know where we have to play as well.

Skip Towne
09-14-2007, 11:50 PM
MT. Turdmore
:LOL: Tremendous!!!!!!!

Logical
09-15-2007, 12:37 AM
I just want to point out that I told everyone that Herm intended to tear down this offense to support defense when he was named. You people are just catching up. Soon many of you will realize Gunther is not that great as a Defensive Coordinator and my job will be complete.

Direckshun
09-15-2007, 12:52 AM
I don't know why everybody's so pissed over this.

1. You want a coordinator that will fall in line with what the HC wants.

2. This is a standard philosophy for a conservative offense. Running the ball keeps the clock moving, passing the ball only keeps it moving sometimes. This reduces the amount of time the defense is on the field.

3. An infusion of youth at QB can raise the level of play of an entire team simply because of the youth.

Anybody trying to find a way to get pissed off over these is trying too hard. It's nothing new and you're just feeding off the kneejerk hostility of the rest of the board.

Smed1065
09-15-2007, 01:00 AM
I just want to point out that I told everyone that Herm intended to tear down this offense to support defense when he was named. You people are just catching up. Soon many of you will realize Gunther is not that great as a Defensive Coordinator and my job will be complete.

Wish I was as good as you seeing the future.

Can we hire you?

Mrs Cleo.

the Talking Can
09-15-2007, 01:05 AM

uh, everyone knew that.....Herm's hiring was not greeted with cheers, and many people have pointed - many times - out that Gunther is an over rated DC....

the Talking Can
09-15-2007, 01:06 AM

1. You want a coordinator that will fall in line with what the HC wants.

2. This is a standard philosophy for a conservative offense. Running the ball keeps the clock moving, passing the ball only keeps it moving sometimes. This reduces the amount of time the defense is on the field.

3. An infusion of youth at QB can raise the level of play of an entire team simply because of the youth.

Anybody trying to find a way to get pissed off over these is trying too hard. It's nothing new and you're just feeding off the kneejerk hostility of the rest of the board.

I had no idea that Carl's penis could speak.

Direckshun
09-15-2007, 01:14 AM
I had no idea that Carl's penis could speak.
What on earth does Carl have to do with a book Herm wrote god knows when?

the Talking Can
09-15-2007, 01:23 AM

I had no idea that Carl's penis could ask questions.

Chiefs Pantalones
09-15-2007, 02:00 AM
I hate Herm and Carl

TN_Chief
09-15-2007, 06:42 AM

:banghead:Not at all. First, I don't believe for a second that we'll ever come close to a SB with the current front office and coaching staff. They're idiots. And while I'd love to have Cowher come in here, I just don't think it's realistic to expect it. He's very likely going to have considerably better offers from other clubs. Look, I'm a KC fan...but the reality of the situation is that KC really isn't anything all that special. It's just another NFL club...and when you're going to have multiple teams bidding for your services (as Cowher will) you get to be picky. KC will not be the most attractive situation he's offered.

What I'm saying is that for once, we need to be realistic about our expectations. The Hunts need to put their ears to the ground and find the next Sean Payton-type...a sharp coordinator that's capable but who doesn't have half the league bidding for his services (let's avoid the coach recycling bin...just like we should have been avoiding the QB recycling bin). They need to couple that guy with a capable GM (the dual-role coach/GM is way too much work/responsibility for most guys...look at Holmgren), give them a good budget and make it clear that they've got 5 years to get the job done (a championship) or they will be shown the door.

Putting all your hopes into Cowher taking this job is setting yourself up for disappointment. He ain't coming through that door.

TN_Chief
09-15-2007, 06:53 AM
Why do you think Herm skipped the coordinator level?Rooney rule.

TN_Chief
09-15-2007, 07:05 AM
You want a coordinator that will fall in line with what the HC wants.No, you really don't. You want a coordinator that's experienced in the system you're going to run and isn't afraid to voice his experienced opinion. That may mean disagreeing with the head coach. If the head coach is so insecure that he can't deal with any disagreement you've got major problems.

That's as true in football as it is in any business. I will agree that the HC should have the final say...but the HC should (1) be willing to hear other opinions and (2) be hiring people who's opinions and experience he trusts, not just because they will rubber stamp the HC's own thoughts.

I think part of Herm's problem is that he's an insecure little bastard, he doesn't want anyone around that might disagree with him and end up being right (because by definition Herm would have been wrong). People who are confident in their own abilities and secure in themselves do not mind differing opinions.

FringeNC
09-15-2007, 07:25 AM

Uh, shouldn't the goal of the offense be to score points rather than keep the clock moving? I mean, isn't that the whole point of football, or am I missing something?

the Talking Can
09-15-2007, 07:47 AM

lol, I was drinking last night...you're not really Carl's penis....Carl doesn't have a penis, he has a concave area....

Baby Lee
09-15-2007, 08:02 AM
Uh, shouldn't the goal of the offense be to score points rather than keep the clock moving? I mean, isn't that the whole point of football, or am I missing something?
Scoring and running the clock is a superior result to scoring and not running the clock.

Brock
09-15-2007, 08:51 AM
Rooney rule.

Not implemented until 2002.

FringeNC
09-15-2007, 09:04 AM
Scoring and running the clock is a superior result to scoring and not running the clock.

...assuming you are ahead -- but it's hard to get a lead playing not-to-lose football, especially against good teams in the playoffs.

TN_Chief
09-15-2007, 09:22 AM
Not implemented until 2002.It wasn't the "law" until 2002, but it was in existence before then. Herm was hired by the Jets shortly before it was officially implemented (but everyone knew it was coming) and was hired by the Chiefs well after.

Ebolapox
09-15-2007, 09:30 AM

what, you don't know what wikipedia and google are?

basically stated, the peter principle states that, within a given system, everybody rises to their level of incompetence. let's say you start out at a fast food place as the janitor. if you're good enough there, they promote you to trash man. then, to fries. then, to burger duty. then, to front counter. then, after six months (heh), to manager. if you suck as manager, you get no more promotions (unless you give good head), and you've risen to your level of incompetence.

get it now?

Ebolapox
09-15-2007, 09:34 AM

it's some catch, that catch 22

it's funny you mention catch 22, joseph heller, the author of catch 22, has said in interviews that the title 'catch 22' was a total accident. sorta like how tolstoy wanted to name it 'war, what is it good for?' instead of war and peace--heh

The Bad Guy
09-15-2007, 09:58 AM

You must be the most insecure person in the entire world.

Reerun_KC
09-15-2007, 10:23 AM
I want Herm to stay the Coach for the Chiefs forever...

I heart Herm...

The this is pure comedy...

Douche Baggins
09-15-2007, 12:30 PM
Rooney rule?

Coach
09-15-2007, 12:34 PM
Rooney rule?

Dan Rooney, the Owner for the Pittsburgh Steelers. The rule was that every NFL team has to interview at least one minority candidate.

Douche Baggins
09-15-2007, 12:36 PM
Dan Rooney, the Owner for the Pittsburgh Steelers. The rule was that every NFL team has to interview at least one minority candidate.

Not a very good excuse. Unless the Jets interviewed Herm by chance and then said "HEY! WHY NOT HIRE THIS GUY THAT WE PREVIOUSLY ONLY BROUGHT IN FOR A TOKEN INTERVIEW?!?!"

HemiEd
09-15-2007, 12:42 PM
I like how he admits that anytime he said he wouldn't change the offense or put his hands in it he was flatly lying.

He knows nothing about offense but god damn it because he's the head coach you do what he says.

I hope he is successful, real soon, but he has the biggest ego of any coach in Chiefs history, IMO.

TN_Chief
09-15-2007, 01:12 PM
Rooney rule?OK, wait a second here. You consider yourself capable of writing about football, but you don't know what the Rooney rule is? Why do you even waste your time?

RedThat
09-15-2007, 02:14 PM
I just want him gone.

What bothers me is his whole philosophy on ball control, and killing the clock. That's what messing this offense up.

Two words:

Carl Peterson

Douche Baggins
09-15-2007, 06:14 PM
OK, wait a second here. You consider yourself capable of writing about football, but you don't know what the Rooney rule is? Why do you even waste your time?

Sorry, not an NFL historian. I'm well aware that teams have to interview minority candidates...I just didn't know the label applied to the rule. Is that clear to you now?