PDA

View Full Version : Can’t win? Play anyway

Count Zarth
09-14-2007, 07:54 PM
http://chiefs.scout.com/2/679809.html

Today, I was all prepared to watch tape of Chicago’s Week 1 loss to the San Diego Chargers, break it down as it pertains to Kansas City this Sunday, and spit out the edge in matchups. But what’s the point?

Sunday, the Chiefs are a snowball. And Chicago, despite a mild forecast this weekend, is hell.

You have to feel sorry for Herm Edwards’ crew. They won’t travel east with the mindset that they’ll lose, but barring a miracle, it’s the inevitable conclusion.

Defensive tackle Tommie Harris will penetrate the middle of KC’s offensive line. Chicago’s Cover 2 defense will blanket the Chiefs’ inexperienced, Eddie Kennison-less wide receiver corps. All-Pro linebacker Brian Urlacher will make life difficult on Tony Gonzalez down the middle of the field.

On defense, the Chiefs will be forced to play their safeties back to counter the deep threat of wide receiver Bernard Berrian (six touchdowns over 30 yards last season), lest what happened with Andre Johnson last week happen again. Facing a far better offensive line this Sunday, KC’s defense will wear down while Bears running back Cedric Benson pounds them into mush.

As if all this wasn’t enough, Sunday is Chicago’s home opener. Soldier Field will be packed to capacity and the Bears will be looking to rebound from their Week 1 loss. This weekend’s game is shaping up to be the ugliest matchup of the Herm Edwards era so far.

And it doesn’t matter that Chicago is missing two starters (safety Mike Brown and defensive tackle Dusty Dvoracek) on defense due to injury. This game is already over. The Chiefs can’t win. Call your bookies. Bears over Chiefs is the lock of the year.

In light of these monumental odds, someone more interested in promoting shock-value journalism might suggest the Chiefs avoid even stepping on the plane tomorrow, or forfeit this weekend’s game. Hey, you couldn’t blame them, right?

Wrong. The Chiefs need to play this game. Even if it means getting their skulls bashed in by the Monsters of the Midway while much of the nation watches.

There’s no better early-season litmus test for an NFL team than going on the road and playing a Super Bowl team. Remember three years ago, when the Chiefs hosted the Carolina Panthers in their home opener? Kansas City got dominated, and right then we should have had an inkling that the 2004 Chiefs probably wouldn’t be all that great a football team. The same was true in 2005 when the Eagles waltzed into Arrowhead Stadium and slapped 37 points on the home team.

Last week’s loss didn’t really tell us that much about the Chiefs. Losing to the Texans might be a sign the Chiefs are a rotten team, but Houston could be headed to the playoffs this year.

Chicago will give us a better indicator. The Chiefs don’t have to win the game today. Keep it close, compete with Lovie Smith’s boys, and there’s reason for optimism despite the likely 0-2 start.

Get blown out, on the other hand, and it’ll be a sure sign that not only will the Minnesota Vikings most likely spoil next week’s home opener, but that 2007 will be a long year for the Chiefs.

Hey, there are a lot of reasons for the Chiefs not to play this game. Damon Huard could get hurt, as he continues his 2007 campaign as Kansas City’s MVP (Most Valuable Pińata). After the Bears shut down Larry Johnson (they held LaDanian Tomlinson to 25 yards last week), ESPN’s talking heads will latch onto his poor start as evidence that those 400 carries are taking a toll. But all of this is secondary when you’re trying to build a football team and forge an identity. There’s no better place to do that than in hostile territory.

So go ahead and get on that plane. You might not win, but you’ll definitely find out what kind of football team you have. That can lead to wins down the road.

Chiefnj2
09-14-2007, 07:57 PM
Clayton,

Just curious, have you ever coached football before?

cdcox
09-14-2007, 07:57 PM
[Defensive tackle Tommie Harris will penetrate the middle of KC’s defensive line.

That would be an amazing display of physics.

KcMizzou
09-14-2007, 07:58 PM
That would be an amazing display of physics.Doh!

And a penalty.

Count Zarth
09-14-2007, 08:00 PM
Oops. Fixed.

Count Zarth
09-14-2007, 08:03 PM
Clayton,

Just curious, have you ever coached football before?

No, why?

KCinNY
Losing to the Texans might be a sign the Chiefs are a rotten team, but Houston could be headed to the playoffs this year.

Yeah and Jessica Alba could be headed to my place to give me a lapdance, but probably not.

Chiefnj2
No, why?
You mentioned breaking down game film.

Count Zarth
09-14-2007, 08:04 PM

Don't need coaching experience to do that...

blueballs
09-14-2007, 08:05 PM
Titans vs Colts at noon should be damn good

KCChiefsMan
09-14-2007, 08:05 PM
Don't need coaching experience to do that...

no you don't, you just need too much time on your hands

Skip Towne
09-14-2007, 08:07 PM
Isn't that a hoot? GoChiefs is now breaking down game film. He has never even played.

blueballs
09-14-2007, 08:08 PM
I don't think taping a video of the game on tv
equals game film

Count Zarth
09-14-2007, 08:09 PM
I don't think taping a video of the game on tv
equals game film

Definitely. Who's claiming otherwise?

KC Tattoo
09-14-2007, 08:10 PM
We've got down field Huard, threw 11 TDS and only ONE pick last year in 8 games 5Vs and 3Ls! OH boy OH boy is he going to torch those BEARs!!!! Yea :rolleyes:

KCChiefsMan
09-14-2007, 08:12 PM
We've got down field Huard, threw 11 TDS and only ONE pick last year in 8 games 5Vs and 3Ls! OH boy OH boy is he going to torch those BEARs!!!! Yea :rolleyes:

Bobby Sippio will make Huard look like a combination of Joe Montana/Dan Marino and Peyton Manning.

blueballs
09-14-2007, 08:13 PM
I'm stepping away from this

KC Tattoo
09-14-2007, 08:14 PM
Bobby Sippio will make Huard look like a combination of Joe Montana/Dan Marino and Peyton Manning.
ROFL

Chiefnj2
09-14-2007, 08:25 PM
Definitely. Who's claiming otherwise?

You get coaching films?

Count Zarth
09-14-2007, 08:27 PM
You get coaching films?

Definitely not.

Chiefnj2
09-14-2007, 08:30 PM
Definitely not.
When you say you were preparing to watch "tape", what tape are you referring to? The game you taped on TV, or something else. If something else, what exactly?

KC Tattoo
09-14-2007, 08:31 PM
It's not like they have a choice to play or not. I'm hopeing for the best but geez.

It is simple:

Lovie Smith > Herm Edwards

Rex Grossman > Huard (debatable, which Rex do we get?)

Da Bears D > Chiefs D (Brian Urlacher)

Da Bears O > Chiefs O (they have a better O line)

Da Bears ST > Chiefs ST

Da Bears > Chiefs

Count Zarth
09-14-2007, 08:33 PM
When you say you were preparing to watch "tape", what tape are you referring to? The game you taped on TV, or something else. If something else, what exactly?

TV broadcast.

TN_Chief
09-14-2007, 08:34 PM
I don't see any way this game isn't just a brutal beatdown by the Bears. Grossman can't F it up enough for us to win, and if he makes a concerted effort at doing so they'll just go to Griese. All they've got to do is score 1 TD and then just hand off all day.

OctoberFart
09-14-2007, 08:36 PM

He might be breaking it down but he has no clue what he is looking at or looking for. Didn't you see his great claims of Croyle during TC?

KcMizzou
09-14-2007, 08:36 PM
I don't see any way this game isn't just a brutal beatdown by the Bears. Grossman can't F it up enough for us to win, and if he makes a concerted effort at doing so they'll just go to Griese. All they've got to do is score 1 TD and then just hand off all day.You'd think so... but hell, this is the NFL.

I don't think we're as bad as everyone thinks. I don't think we're very good either.. but hey.

I thought that was a good read, GC.

Deberg_1990
09-14-2007, 08:39 PM
I don't think we're as bad as everyone thinks.

Its really weird. There is alot of veteran talent on this team, but they play uninspired alot.

I hate to say it, but i think this game is trainwreck waiting to happen. Ive seen it happen too many times over the years. I can see this being quite similiar to the Steelers game last year.

Count Zarth
09-14-2007, 08:40 PM
He might be breaking it down but he has no clue what he is looking at or looking for. Didn't you see his great claims of Croyle during TC?

You'd be hard pressed to find ANYONE that said Croyle wasn't playing well in training camp. It wasn't just me.

TN_Chief
09-14-2007, 08:40 PM
You'd think so...but hell, this is the NFL.No, I'm pretty sure I know so. I watched the game last week, the one where the best we could manage was 3 points against the Texans. Chicago is a much better team than the Texans, even with Grossman at the helm. Rex has a habit of being terrible one week and good the next...and we're likely to be on the wrong side of that equation.

Count Zarth
09-14-2007, 08:41 PM
I can see this being quite similiar to the Steelers game last year.

Except that people were expecting us to beat the Steelers. This reminds me more of the game against San Diego the following week. We got killed so bad in Pittsburgh, everyone, INCLUDING ME, picked San Diego to beat the Chiefs. Chiefs ended up winning. Of course that was at home.

KcMizzou
09-14-2007, 08:41 PM
Its really weird. There is alot of veteran talent on this team, but they play uninspired alot.
You say "a lot", but we've only played one real game.

TN_Chief
09-14-2007, 08:42 PM
Its really weird. There is alot of veteran talent on this team, but they play uninspired alot.I honestly believe they're immune to Herm's bullshit rah-rah and think he's a dink. Herm fancies himself a "leader of men", but he's not showing me shit. If you don't belive in the guy running the show you tend to not play to your maximum ability.

In other words, I think he's basically lost the team.

Deberg_1990
09-14-2007, 08:43 PM
You say "a lot", but we've only played one real game.

I meant the past 4 or 5 seasons.

keg in kc
I don't think we're as bad as everyone thinks.I don't either.

I also don't think the Bears will be as good as everyone thinks by the time the year is over.

Either way, if it always worked out the way it looks on paper, they'd stop playing the games.

Count Zarth
I honestly believe they're immune to Herm's bullshit rah-rah and think he's a dink. Herm fancies himself a "leader of men", but he's not showing me shit. If you don't belive in the guy running the show you tend to not play to your maximum ability.

In other words, I think he's basically lost the team.

Really? The defense could've quit when we went down 17-0 last week, but they didn't.

I haven't seen this team quit one time while Herm's been the head coach. When they do, then we'll know he's lost them...

TN_Chief
09-14-2007, 08:48 PM
Really? The defense could've quit when we went down 17-0 last week, but they didn't.

I haven't seen this team quit one time while Herm's been the head coach. When they do, then we'll know he's lost them...What was it you though the D did last week after we went down 17-0? We were down 17-0 basically through the third quarter. So...the D held the Texans (news flash...they're not very good) to a FG for a quarter of garbage time. Wow...that's really impressive. Not.

PS- That fourth quarter? Houston held the ball for over 13 minutes of it. Wow...way to stop 'em D. And you say you break down game film, and you act like you know what you're talking about? Dude...Football for Dummies, available at your local Barnes and Noble.

Count Zarth
09-14-2007, 08:50 PM
What was it you though the D did last week after we went down 17-0? We were down 17-0 basically through the third quarter. So...the D held the Texans (news flash...they're not very good) to a FG for a quarter of garbage time. Wow...that's really impressive. Not.

All I'm saying is that I didn't see anyone quitting. I didn't see anyone dragging ass or not giving an effort out there.

KC Tattoo
09-14-2007, 08:54 PM

I've said this before, it was the OL that made the team look bad in preseason. Svitek vs Smith in the Saints game was not good for Croyle or any other QB that would be in that game.

I'd like to see Croyle play with an OL that blocks for him. Peyton Manning has the best Ol in the game, teams with good OL have better QBs. Croyle is getting the shaft because of piss poor blocking from the left tackle aka Will Svitek.

OctoberFart
09-14-2007, 08:54 PM
All I'm saying is that I didn't see anyone quitting. I didn't see anyone dragging ass or not giving an effort out there.
You wouldn't know what you would be looking for anyway.

TN_Chief
09-14-2007, 08:55 PM
All I'm saying is that I didn't see anyone quitting. I didn't see anyone dragging ass or not giving an effort out there.Sorry man, but allowing the other team to hold the ball for 13 minutes of a 15 minute quarter doesn't equate to "giving an effort". Get the freakin' ball back...that's a pro-worthy effort.

KcMizzou
09-14-2007, 08:56 PM
You wouldn't know what you would be looking for anyway.You, on the other hand, should know exactly what it looks like when your team quits.

Count Zarth
You wouldn't know what you would be looking for anyway.

Shut up.

Count Zarth
Sorry man, but allowing the other team to hold the ball for 13 minutes of a 15 minute quarter doesn't equate to "giving an effort". Get the freakin' ball back...that's a pro-worthy effort.

The defense was way too tired by that point. They didn't quit.

TN_Chief
09-14-2007, 08:58 PM
The defense was way too tired by that point. They didn't quit.You keep making up excuses pal. I'll be right here with the facts and observations to refute them. If they'd played the way pros should (i.e. if they hadn't quit) they'd have forced a change in posession and gotten a rest. 10 minutes of that posession time was contiguous...in other words, it wasn't because our O had turned it over, gone 3-and-out, etc.

Count Zarth
09-14-2007, 09:00 PM
You keep making up excuses pal. I'll be right here with the facts and observations to refute them.

It doesn't make any sense. There was a full quarter to play when we kicked a field goal to go down 17-3. There was a glimmer of hope.

You really believe, at that point, the defense said "**** this!"

?

KcMizzou
09-14-2007, 09:01 PM
It doesn't make any sense. There was a full quarter to play when we kicked a field goal to go down 17-3. There was a glimmer of hope.

?If they had, we'd have lost 34-3.

OctoberFart
09-14-2007, 09:02 PM
Goqueer is telling everyone to call their bookies because his lock of the year is giving up 12.5pts. Freaking moron.

TN_Chief
09-14-2007, 09:05 PM

?We kicked the FG with ~20 seconds to go in the third. The Texans then went on a drive that lasted for ~10:20! Then they kicked a FG of their own. Over 10 freakin' minutes! Yes...I believe the Texans at that point knew they had the game won and just decided to grind the clock down. And I further believe that our inability to stop them for over 10 minutes is an indication that the defense quit. And you'd believe it too if you knew a damn thing about football or athletes.

Count Zarth
09-14-2007, 09:06 PM
We kicked the FG with ~20 seconds to go in the third. The Texans then went on a drive that lasted for ~10:20! Then they kicked a FG of their own. Over 10 freakin' minutes! Yes...I believe the Texans at that point knew they had the game won and just decided to grind the clock down. And I further believe that our inability to stop them for over 10 minutes is an indication that the defense quit. And you'd believe it too if you knew a damn thing about football or athletes.

So now I'm ignorant just because you disagree with me? Nice.

If the defense had truly "quit," they would have given up a touchdown, or missed a bunch of tackles. That didn't happen.

It's the same thing that happened in the playoff game last year. The exact same thing. That defense didn't quit. They were just tired from being on the field all day long.

Skip Towne
09-14-2007, 09:07 PM
What was it you though the D did last week after we went down 17-0? We were down 17-0 basically through the third quarter. So...the D held the Texans (news flash...they're not very good) to a FG for a quarter of garbage time. Wow...that's really impressive. Not.

PS- That fourth quarter? Houston held the ball for over 13 minutes of it. Wow...way to stop 'em D. And you say you break down game film, and you act like you know what you're talking about? Dude...Football for Dummies, available at your local Barnes and Noble.
It didn't take you long to catch on to his phony shit. He is Nick Athan's junior jackoff. Who on this board is buying his phony act?

TN_Chief
09-14-2007, 09:12 PM
So now I'm ignorant just because you disagree with me? Nice.

If the defense had truly "quit," they would have given up a touchdown, or missed a bunch of tackles. That didn't happen.You're ignorant because you clearly don't understand the game and because you refuse to acknowledge the facts. The Texans objective at that point was not to score quickly, but to grind the clock down. The D needed to recognize that and force a change in posession...and they were totally unable to do so for over 10 minutes. It's pretty simple. Either:

1. Our D is completely incompetent.

Or

2. They quit.

Take your pick. It's one of the two.

Chiefnj2
09-14-2007, 09:14 PM
Sorry man, but allowing the other team to hold the ball for 13 minutes of a 15 minute quarter doesn't equate to "giving an effort". Get the freakin' ball back...that's a pro-worthy effort.

I don't think they quit on purpose. The Texans were better conditioned. The Club-Herm training camp didn't prepare them properly. They wore down because they weren't used to playing for a time period of 4 full quarters.

TN_Chief
09-14-2007, 09:16 PM
I don't think they quit on purpose. The Texans were better conditioned. The Club-Herm training camp didn't prepare them properly. They wore down because they weren't used to playing for a time period of 4 full quarters.If that's the case, then the responsibility for that falls on Herm and the coaches for not preparing the team. In which case Herm and the coaching staff should be fired.

This the the mother****ing pros...there is absolutely no ****ing excuse for not being physically prepared to play for 4 quarters.

KcMizzou
09-14-2007, 09:18 PM
LMAO

This must be the bash Gochiefs thread for tonight.

"You think the Chiefs will lose? Well you're ****ing retarded!! I think they'll lose by much more than you think they'll lose by!!!"

Jesus. :shake:

Come the **** on...

FAX
09-14-2007, 10:15 PM
I think they'll lose by eleventeen.

You know, it's no stretch to believe that the offensive veterans - having been a part of one of the greatest offenses of all friggin' times - think Herm is a voicebox attached to a styrofoam brain.

FAX

Rain Man
09-15-2007, 12:13 PM
You unbelievers should be shot. Did the Christians fear playing a road game during the Crusades against a tough Moslem team? No. Did William the Conquerer fret about traveling to England? No. Did Columbus think that Hispaniola was unwinnable? No.

We can win this game, and we will.

dj56dt58
09-15-2007, 12:24 PM
You unbelievers should be shot. Did the Christians fear playing a road game during the Crusades against a tough Moslem team? No. Did William the Conquerer fret about traveling to England? No. Did Columbus think that Hispaniola was unwinnable? No.

True..but their leader wasn't Herm Edwards either..

Their actions were way to aggressive. Traveling to England? That's arena league

Count Zarth
09-15-2007, 12:26 PM
Did the Christians fear playing a road game during the Crusades against a tough Moslem team?

Do you know how many Pro Bowlers the Christians had?

Mile High Mania
09-15-2007, 12:28 PM
Today, I was all prepared to watch tape of Chicago’s Week 1 loss to the San Diego Chargers, break it down as it pertains to Kansas City this Sunday, and spit out the edge in matchups. But what’s the point?
---

Exactly, what do you know about breaking down game film... that's the best start to an article so far for you.

Count Zarth
09-15-2007, 12:35 PM
---

Exactly, what do you know about breaking down game film... that's the best start to an article so far for you.

I'm getting tired of everyone attacking my first sentence. I'm not a coach. I don't get game film in the mail. Do I record the games? Yeah. I want to see what happened. Last year I started watching tape of the Chiefs upcoming opponent, making notes and turning those notes into a matchups article. Not everyone does that, so I'm happy to provide our readers with that service, and a prediction to boot. And for the record, last week I predicted we'd lose.

Mile High Mania
09-15-2007, 12:39 PM
I'm getting tired of everyone attacking my first sentence. I'm not a coach. I don't get game film in the mail. Do I record the games? Yeah. I want to see what happened. Last year I started watching tape of the Chiefs upcoming opponent, making notes and turning those notes into a matchups article. Not everyone does that, so I'm happy to provide our readers with that service, and a prediction to boot. And for the record, last week I predicted we'd lose.

Well, you weren't really going out on a limb last week... kudos though for having 12 months of game breaking down type stuff experience and what not.

Count Zarth
09-15-2007, 12:40 PM
Well, you weren't really going out on a limb last week...

TONS of people picked us to win.

Skip Towne
09-15-2007, 12:41 PM

You sound like GoChiefs. Go do some research.

Mile High Mania
09-15-2007, 12:41 PM
Oh and you might not take so many cyber kicks to the groin if you wouldn't post so many links to articles that are essentially a collection of generic forums' postings.

Just ask WPI to set up a blog for you. That way, any time you get a random thought and feel the need to share... you can just do a new entry. You're giving a bad name to those that write articles.

Mile High Mania
09-15-2007, 12:42 PM

Ohhh. Ok.

Count Zarth
09-15-2007, 12:42 PM
Oh and you might not take so many cyber kicks to the groin if you wouldn't post so many links to articles that are essentially a collection of generic forums' postings.

Just ask WPI to set up a blog for you. That way, any time you get a random thought and feel the need to share... you can just do a new entry. You're giving a bad name to those that write articles.

Tell that to Tim Grunhard. He likes my writing so much he reads it on the air.

Mile High Mania
09-15-2007, 12:43 PM
Tell that to Tim Grunhard. He likes my writing so much he reads it on the air.

No way... Tim Grunhard? Well, I stand corrected.

Skip Towne
09-15-2007, 12:46 PM
No way... Tim Grunhard? Well, I stand corrected.
I didn't know he could read.

Mile High Mania
09-15-2007, 12:54 PM
===
Last week’s loss didn’t really tell us that much about the Chiefs. Losing to the Texans might be a sign the Chiefs are a rotten team, but Houston could be headed to the playoffs this year.

Chicago will give us a better indicator. The Chiefs don’t have to win the game today. Keep it close, compete with Lovie Smith’s boys, and there’s reason for optimism despite the likely 0-2 start.
===

That's just confusing and weird.

Losing to the Texans a team that *might* be good tells you nothing.
Yet, losing to the Bears (SB team fro 2006) would give you reason for optimism.

OctoberFart
09-15-2007, 03:14 PM
Who other than queef fans and me? I lost money on their pathetic ass.

TN_Chief
09-15-2007, 03:19 PM
Tell that to Tim Grunhard. He likes my writing so much he reads it on the air.Yeah great...a guy that's been smacked in the head about a million times likes your writing.