PDA

View Full Version : Went to go see a high school football game tonight

pr_capone
09-14-2007, 11:56 PM
for the first time in several years. Northwest Grizzlies vs Bishop Carrol Screamin Eagles.

I'll tell you this. I think Herm copied his playbook from the NW coach.

The play calling for NW in this game was TERRIBLE.

One example:

Towards the end of the 2nd quarter with about 1.5 minutes to go, BC is at the goal line. BC keeps pounding the ball and fail to score on the first attempt.

Instead of calling time outs between attempts at the inevitable TD to allow themselves more time to retaliate.... they allow BC to kill 45 seconds on the clock before they finally scored a TD.

Now after the kick off with :57 left on the clock and 2 time outs... what does the NW coach do? Yeah... runs out the clock. Does not even attempt a shot down field. Hands off to the RB and off they go to the locker room.

WTF?

I did something I have never done before at a sporting event.... I walked out early.

DJay23
09-15-2007, 06:06 AM
for the first time in several years. Northwest Grizzlies vs Bishop Carrol Screamin Eagles.

I'll tell you this. I think Herm copied his playbook from the NW coach.

The play calling for NW in this game was TERRIBLE.

One example:

Towards the end of the 2nd quarter with about 1.5 minutes to go, BC is at the goal line. BC keeps pounding the ball and fail to score on the first attempt.

Instead of calling time outs between attempts at the inevitable TD to allow themselves more time to retaliate.... they allow BC to kill 45 seconds on the clock before they finally scored a TD.

Now after the kick off with :57 left on the clock and 2 time outs... what does the NW coach do? Yeah... runs out the clock. Does not even attempt a shot down field. Hands off to the RB and off they go to the locker room.

WTF?

I did something I have never done before at a sporting event.... I walked out early.
What was the score at half?

Kind of chicken shit by the coach but sometimes high school coaches especially are handcuffed by their personnel. Last week we were up 14-9 with 1 minute left and our opponent on their own 5. THey tried their best to get the ball downfield quickly by throwing, but because they had nothing but big lumbering running backs, a QB with a noodle arm, and short slow wide receivers, they only managed about 15 yards on a screen. And that was the end of the game. So I can see how some coaches MIGHT play conservative at the end of a half, trying not to risk a pick, especially if it's still a close game.

The timeout thing was inexcusable though.

pr_capone
09-15-2007, 09:23 AM
Score was 12-0 at that point and NW was getting the ball back on the 3rd quarter kick off.

A score before the end of the half would have been HUGE.

Ebolapox
09-15-2007, 09:25 AM
oh, sorta like the chiefs will never try a hail mary before the half (or, rather, they'd never do anything other than the draw up the middle when they had the circus freak offense)...

pr_capone
09-15-2007, 09:27 AM
TBH, I would have been surprised if NW would have attempted a pass greater than 10 yards.

Halfcan
09-15-2007, 09:33 AM
Herm wants the world to bend to his thinking-you don't have to score more than 1 point to win a game.

Fug scoring touchdowns-that is for prissy teams like the Dolts.

Zebedee DuBois
09-15-2007, 09:34 AM
I went to a different HS game in the city....the Bryce Brown Show.

Bryce, a junior, had 312 yards on 7 carries, with 5 TDs.

Wow.

Ebolapox
09-15-2007, 09:39 AM
BEEN SITTING HERE SUCKING ON MY BIG OL' CHILI DOG!