PDA

View Full Version : It's only beginning...

Mile High Mania
05-25-2001, 07:24 AM
http://cbs.sportsline.com/u/ce/feature/0,1518,3931542_59,00.html

CBS Sportsline has posted their "power rankings" as the teams stand today, based on last year, the draft and free agency. I was shocked to see Denver above Baltimore and the Raiders at #9. As well, I didn't expect to see KC down in the 20s below Detroit.

Ah well... it's just a li'l pre-pre-season fodder for those of us who are craving an NFL fix. I am actually sitting here waiting for the quality fantasy football magazines to hit the stands.

Cormac
05-25-2001, 07:39 AM
Some weird choices in this one......

I think they over-rated:
Colts (#6) - still are relying on the Big 3, with a poor defense behind them
Dolphins (#11) - Jay Fiedler is not the answer
Packers (#12) - "a lot of young talent"??? - not enough to be #12 this season IMO.
Falcons (#18) - "will probably be in the mid 20's again by season's end IMO

and under-rated:
Chiefs (#23) - not a homer opinion to expect to finish above the Chargers at least (#21)
Redskins (#24) - No Marty team is going to suck that badly. I expect them to be in the low-teens
Browns (#29) - Should have a defense this season. Still a suspect O-line and no stud RB yet (Jackson, Rhett and Prentice?). But they'll be better than #29 IMO.

ChiefGator
05-25-2001, 07:42 AM
"23. Kansas City Chiefs: Dick Vermeil finally got his quarterback when he traded for Trent Green the night before the draft. Green will prove to be a solid NFL quarterback, although he is still having some knee troubles. The Chiefs also signed Priest Holmes to be their feature back. Holmes and Green are an upgrade, but they're a far cry from Kurt Warner and Marshall Faulk, the two stars who helped Vermeil win a title in St. Louis. "

Green a far cry from Warner? Huh? He posted numbers just as good when he was running the same Offense, without Faulk as well. I agree that Holmes is no Faulk, but I'm also a little hesitant to say "far cry". He could be a very effective back in this offense. Also, the Ram's TE is a far cry from TGonzalez...

Gripe, gripe, moan, groan..

Mark :)

Clint in Wichita
05-25-2001, 09:20 AM
Not to mention the Rams' o-line, defense and coaching being a far cry from KCs.

I'd put KC at about #15. Jesus, they weren't a #23 team during Gunther's worst week!!

TEX
05-25-2001, 09:22 AM
Mile High,
I believe You DID expect to see your Donx ranked high and you DID expect to see the Chiefs ranked low. This is your "kind of smack". You do it all the time.:)

HC_Chief
05-25-2001, 09:24 AM
Passive Aggressive biatch :p

tee hee hee

TEX
05-25-2001, 09:30 AM
BTW,
I agree with the chiefs ranking. They are not a good team right now.

Baby Lee
05-25-2001, 09:39 AM
Wow. . . Wowee wow, wow.

St. Louis at #1. That comes from the same line of thinking that put the redskins in all those top 5's last year.

I can kind of buy this if the sentiment is that the offense will continue to be unstoppable, so anything less than the league's worst defense will get them to the SB. There is some evidence to support that. Even still, this blueprint is entering its third high profile year, a time when defenses begin to really have their gameplans in place.

But, an all new coaching staff, presumably a new philosophy, all new players, cuts, benchings and reprimands everywhere. And they expect this to cohere into 1/2 of a #1 team? Get real.

Mile High Mania
05-25-2001, 10:47 AM
KC ... I agree that I do like to post smack in that manner, but this wasn't one of those times. I don't see Denver being #3 overall.

I think overall, they are definitely top 10 though.

Hmmm... damned if I do, damned if I don't.

Hoover
05-25-2001, 12:48 PM
Tennessee - Yes they have Eddie George, but McNair has no WRs to pass the ball to. They also lost most of their depth to free up cap space. I still think this is a good team, but it has more holes this year.

Jacksonville - After last year, why are they rated five spots higher than the Chiefs. Jacksonville lost a lot to free up cap space and only have one good offensive linemen.

I think the Chiefs should be around #15. O-well, I never really give a ****

Hoover

TEX
05-25-2001, 01:03 PM
Mile High,

To be honest, if Griese's shoulder holds up, your Donx could win it all. They certainly are one of the top 5 teams in the league...on paper. :)

milkman
05-26-2001, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by Clint in Wichita
I'd put KC at about #15. Jesus, they weren't a #23 team during Gunther's worst week!!

Losing to SD and Atlanta, I'd have to say the Chiefs were at least as bad as #23.